Gulf Coast Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 68/98
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race dinner the night before was salad, spaghetti and bread. I ate too much and I even had more beer than I should have. But, it was a vacation atmosphere and I couldn't help myself. It (probably) didn't hurt me.

Woke up around 3:45 and showered to wake myself up. Drank an ensure and ate a banana while sipping coffee and water. I probably should have thrown a bagel in there as well. Walked about a half mile or less to transition with plenty of time to set up, relax and get ready for the race.
Event warmup:

Put on my wet suit and stood around talking and getting used to the setting. Decided to do a short swim warm up with Brett. That was a good idea and will do it at every race possible in the future. It just seemed to get me mentally ready and loose. Much better than jumping in the water completely dry.
Swim
  • 35m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim felt great. The waves were huge, but it felt manageable. I was able to swim with much better form than my races last year. I am glad I began focusing on swimming this year. The only reason I did is because I was afraid of this swim. My training paid off!

My wave was pretty crowded. And, it seemed like many people were struggling. I even saw 3-5 people swimming perpendicular to me. I kept thinking am I going the wrong way or are they? Turns out it was them. I probably should have grabbed them and straightened them out??? But, they were far away from by the time I figured it out.

An ocean swim was fun, but difficult. It was hard to sight. This swim here will always be unpredictable. We stayed a few days after the race and the water changed dramatically over the course of those days. You just have to be ready for the worst and hope for the best.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice. Start in the front and prepare for turn buoys better. Maybe swim harder. I felt like I had more to give on this swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

I am horrible at transitions. I took off my wet suit soon after I got out of the water. The time actually counted in my swim. I think that is they way I will continue to do it. I ran down the wrong lane and got lost for a few seconds. In general, I am just slow. I feel like I'm moving fast but I'm apparently not!

Correction: I just saw a picture of me on the timing mat with my wet suit on. I guess I took it off after the mat. It was a 10 second thing either way.

Practice (in my free time) :)
Bike
  • 2h 40m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.94 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike also went great. The course way flat and fast. There was a nice cloud cover for the majority of it. Head winds and rough road towards the end were nasty. This is the first race where I felt strong on the bike. I actually passed way more people than I got passed by. That felt good.

I made one mistake on the bike that came back to haunt me on the run. I left one bottle of Accelerade untouched. The bottle was on my back left. I can't reach that bottle comfortably so I just didn't drink it. I also didn't grab anything from the stations on the course. I felt fine while on the bike so I didn't worry too much about it.

I also borrowed some speed for this ride. A set of Zipp 606s. Sweet! Maybe that's why I was able to pass so many discs!!

I am going to start drinking out of my "un-reachable" bottle first while training. Then I will feel comfortable reaching all bottles while riding.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Not bad. Faster than I thought.
Run
  • 2h 37m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

I think this is where the missing acclerade came into play. Miles 1 & 2 were great, but the rest were near impossible. I love running so I am frustrated that this was so difficult. I also don't mind running in heat so I figured I could handle this. The cloud cover left and I was toast. It was weird. My legs felt perfectly fine, but I could not run more than 3/4 of a mile at a time. I think the combination of heat and nutrition caused all the trouble. I also lacked mental toughness on this run. I need to work on that.

The volunteers / aid stations on the course were the best I have ever seen. Each station was like a buffet! The ice cold sponges were perfect. Plus, the volunteers encouragement was very helpful.

I would do longer bricks. Plus, I would run in the heat. But, we didn't get that chance in Atlanta this spring.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water and water. NAMC tent and beer.

Event comments:

This is a great event. Fast and flat course. Best volunteers I have seen in my limited number of races. Really organized event. I will do it several more times.

The only factors I didn't like were either my fault (nutrition) or uncontrollable (water & heat).

Last updated: 2008-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 36/98
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:26 | 56 miles | 20.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/98
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:37:15 | 13.1 miles | 12m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/98
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-15 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2008-05-15 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1405844

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon

You did a great job! I keep saying this but I really believe that with a couple of years of experience and once you solve the nutrition thing you are going to be a monster!

One thing...why no mention of the wheels? You realize that is why you were that fast on the bike!

2008-05-15 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm still not sure how I recognized you on the run but it sure was nice getting to hang together for a mile or so..

Looks like you are well on your way to putting it all together and congrats on a strong day!
2008-05-15 9:03 PM

User image

Master

You will figure out the nutrition thing soon enough.  And when you do, watch out. 

2008-05-16 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Very nice race, you're gonna tear up West Lake next month
2008-05-16 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Nice job out there. We get to train in the heat all summer, so by steelhead you (and I) wil be able to hammer the run course. I don't beleive it's a mental toughness thing either, sometimes your body just doesnt respond no matter what. Great job beating your SC time, even with the issues. When you pull it together at the next one you will be impossible to contend with.

2008-05-16 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

I certainly felt your pain on the run, I think most of us are questioning our nutrition now - we have over two months to get it figured out, right! Other than that great race - your swim and bike were awesome - I can't believe how fast you have gotten in the water! Congrats on a great race!

2008-05-16 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great job Saturday!!  You had a great swim(to my dismay ) and bike!!!  I know you're a kick butt runner and this run was just out of your control.  Come August, you're gonna put together a crazy fast race, I know it!

And at least you've learned to listen to me about nutrition! 
2008-05-18 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great job on the swim and bike.  I would have been happy with that run too. 
2008-05-18 8:33 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Good job on the race. Great analysis.
2008-05-18 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
You had a really good race. That swim is unbelieveable.

1/2's are my nemesis. Too long to red line, too short for me to be able to pace correctly.. well, at least 50 percent of the time anyway. I've done 4 now, and each one has new challenges.

I would be willing to bet that you not drinking that 1 bottle of accelerade had little, if anything to do with your run. Heat on the run was the difference maker. Some did ok with it, most did not. A few more calories / electrolytes would not have saved yours, mine, or many other races. Definitely make adjustments as needed though.

Regardless, you are very close to nailing the perfect race, and when you do, you will be a big threat in your AG.

edited to add this: You know where you left that 7 seconds on the course, right? 

Edited by atl_runner 2008-05-18 9:20 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed