General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 32m 58s
Overall Rank = 401/608
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 35/58
Pre-race routine:

Drove up on Saturday with Dud. Ferocious rain, we were worried about the race getting canceled. Got to the camp site and Kam and her family were there. Hung out in their trailer, set up our tent when the weather cleared for a little while. Went down to the race site, registered, ate at the "carbo load dinner" while it rained more.

The three of us got a short ride in, everything on the bike checked out.

Race morning, I met a lot of really nice people. Met a few BT'ers: runnerx and a few other folks that don't post but came up to me when they saw the BT tri-suit and said they liked the site. I love that.

Chatted with some of the officials.
Event warmup:

No warmup for HIMs.

Waiting in the corral I told Dud that I wasn't really feeling this one. No butterflies, no excitement. I think this was because I was distracted by our plans changing. Julie and the girls were going to come and make this a family camping weekend but with all the rain predicted we changed our minds. Still, once I got in the water to wait for the gun, I was in the moment and ready to race.
Swim
  • 40m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Perfect conditions for a lake swim and I like the course. One of my main goals for this race was to PR the swim for a half iron and I did, solidly.

Stayed with the pack on most of the way out and took advantage of the group draft. Managed to draft off of one guy for at least 400 yards after the turn, probably longer. For the first time ever, I was able to actually feel for the bubbles coming from someone's kick and follow that. Lost him when a torpedo from the wave behind cut between us. I did manage to pick him up again after a while. Felt great coming out of the water.

Very happy with this swim. I'm not fast in the water, but I am improving steadily.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was about as good as I had in me that morning.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Just went steady. I don't rush transitions in a HIM. Had a crappy spot in a far corner so I had a long way to go compared to most.

Apply sunscreen. The weather defied the predictions and I'm now typing this with a good case of 'aerobar sunburn' on my forearms.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Slow, yes, but I expected it. My cycling has been at "completion" volume for the past 8 weeks or so. And I could have done more hill work. Still, it was a better pace than the Keuka Lake Oly a few weeks ago and I felt fine on the bike.

Saw Kam finishing the Sprilympic distance race on my way out. Saw Dud a few miles away from the turnaround, caught up to him with about 5 miles left.

Saw a couple of blatant packs (and one outright paceline), but only a couple and only the out portion. I think the out and back makes it harder for people to pull this off because they're easily observed by people on the other part of the course. After my drafting penalty last race, I was so conscientious about dropping back when I got passed that I almost caused a couple people behind me to crash when I slowed down. Didn't know they were there.

Followed the nutrition plan well, ate 2 Clif bars in 3 pieces each, had water with them and alternated that with Gatorade. I did have half a banana at the turnaround which tasted delicious. I also used Endurolytes a couple times. Total of 3 on the bike, I think.

Not sure. I think this was the beginning of the problems. Time to revisit the nutrition plan.
Transition 2
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Took my time here. I was ready to go, but then I saw Dudley at his rack so I broke out the camera and took a couple of pictures. One guy at me rack couldn't believe I was doing and started announcing to the spectators "look at this guy taking photos!".

It's not like I was in the running for a medal.
Run
  • 2h 34m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Shame. Shame. Shame.

The usual story. HR didn't want to come down off of the bike. The run starts with a long uphill which I took fairly easy. 9:43 pace for the first mile. HR crept up a bit in mile 2 and 3 so I backed off on mile 4. I deliberately walked for a while to save myself for the rest of the run after it stopped climbing. Get the HR down now so I wouldn't blow up later. I wasn't feeling bad, just worried about the HR being high and making it through the whole race. I felt fine. I was thinking that if I continue to feel like this, a sub-10 minute pace on the run is totally doable and I'd be satisfied with it. Miles 2.5 to 5 were essentially a long climb so I figured once we were past that it'd be manageable. I was wrong.

Took some water and Gatorade at most aid stations, every mile or so. About half of them I took an orange quarter, which was new for me. Not sure why, I just did.

I started to feel tired, and a bit light headed. Nothing worrisome though. Although I did yawn a few times which surprised me. Miles 5,6,7 and the start of 8 were a bit over 10 minute miles, but I was still thinking that a 2:10 to 2:15 half marathon was possible, even likely.

About halfway through mile 8, on the trail in the woods, I started to feel pretty bad. I had needed to pee for a while so I went off the trail and peed. At that moment my ears stuffed up, I got very dizzy, tired, nauseous and my kidneys started to hurt. I had to sit down on a log for a bit. It was a very unpleasant feeling. Got back up after a minute or two and started moving forward. I don't remember if I walked or tried running at first, but I ended up walking a lot from there on in. Pace for mile 9 was 14:46. Miles 10 and 11 were 13:29 and 13:46. Very little running.

Dudley caught me around mile 12 I think. He dragged my butt back under an 11 minute pace for a bit. From here, it was run/walk/shuffle/walk/pretend to run.

Started doing my "I can do anything for one mile" mantra. At the last turn before entering the park, with .5 mile to go was a big plywood sign. I stopped to rest for a second and leaned on the sign. A cop saw me and asked if I was ok, I said yes. Turns out he had been chatting with the RD who got out of a car and asked if I was going to make it. I remember saying something to the effect of "I didn't come this far to DNF at THIS point." Dud dragged me to the finish line. I managed to run the rest of the way in. He was having problems with a blister on his foot. I was having problems with my, um, self.

I remember thinking "this better not be one of those finishes where they make you do some crazy loop past the finish line before the end." It wasn't. Saw Kam on the sidelines on the final stretch yelling to us. She pointed a camera at us and I did my arms up in the air thing. Holy crap that was hard. When the going gets tough, the tough get posing.

An aquabike.

Slow down a bit and let Dudley cross the finish line before me. I don't remember the finish line at all, but I really should have let him have it.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on the bumper of an ambulance near the finish line. Projectile vomited. Fell down on all fours. Projectile vomited some more. Thought about the fact that puking my guts out at the finish line while on my hands and knees and wearing a BT tri-suit might not be the best advertising for the site. Dry heaved.

Went to the medical tent, laid down in the shade, got my vitals taken and a bag of ice put on my neck. Don't remember too much after this until we got back to camp. I did lose my new sunglasses and my watch. Probably left them on the ground in transition.

After this, I wanted a Coke or something like one so bad. But there wasn't a single beverage left in the cooler things in the food tent. Not one. Nada. An 80 degree sunny day and they ran out of cold beverages at the finish line with fully 1/3 of the athletes still out on the course. If I wasn't so sick I would have been po'd. But I was pretty sick.

Threw up one more time on the way back to camp. I think that one was motion sickness brought on by being in the van. Vaguely recall telling Dudley that no, I didn't need to go to the ER. That last one sealed the deal on my needing to hit the camp showers ASAP though. Yuck.

Spent the next few hours sitting on my butt at camp, taking it easy, sipping on water and coke and lemonade. An IV probably would have sped up my feeling better but it wouldn't have been worth the trouble and $50 copay. Dudley and Kam and her family were absolutely awesome that afternoon/evening. Thanks guys.

Finally had to pee before going to bed about 8:30. Took about 24 hours for that function to return to normal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was surprised by this. I did expect to do better. There's work to be done on nutrition obviously, but I think it's plain that I have to put a lot more time in on the bike if I'm ever going to put in a respectable half iron performance.

I'm giving the "Good Race" an Ok rating because when you finish a HIM you can never consider that a bad race.

Event comments:

This is a low-frills race. Don't come here looking for the brand name vibe and for every little detail to be nailed. They do get the big ones right. The course is nice, it's well marked, the community supports the race and there are plenty of aid stations with enthusiastic volunteers.

Last updated: 2007-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/58
Overall: 310/608
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Inverted V, bouys to the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:55 | 56 miles | 17.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/58
Overall: 406/608
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on rollers. Good pavement with the exception of some chip seal near the turnaround. I like this course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:34:41 | 13.1 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/58
Overall: 446/608
Performance: Bad
Course: Mix of hills, flats, roads and trails. A couple out and back sections. Interesting course. Challenging but not a monster. The first 5 miles make you work.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 10:57 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2008-07-02 4:14 AM
in reply to: #1503293

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

When I checked on you guys on line and seen your time on the run I figured something had gone wrong.  I figured they had the chip times messed up! Way to HTFU on the run and finish it feeling like you did. That had to be tough to do.

Great job on the PR for the swim segment! That had to be a great feeling! 

2008-07-02 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good job hanging in there and finishing the race. I experienced the puking routine during an IM earlier this year and can sympathize with athletes when things go south on nutrition.

On the bright side; your swim has improved greatly and now you'll know what is needed during your next big race.

Yeah; puking at the finish while wearing the BT colors would be bad PR.
2008-07-02 8:15 AM

User image

Expert

Great job hanging in there on a very difficult run. Sounds like your body just sort of shut down. Probably the lack of bacon at the aid stations

Excellent swim and bike!!

Anthony 

2008-07-02 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Yep.  I'm glad Tyler and I got out of there before the projectile stuff.  Very glad.  Wink

Even feeling miserable you still had a remarkable sense of humor about things.   

I have some excellent pictures of you guys finishing.  I need to try to post them today.

You're right, though.  Any race is good if you finish a HIM!  Way to suck it up and push through the misery.  Even seeing you in your misery doesn't sway me from thinking I'd still like to do a HIM some day.    Smile

2008-07-02 9:18 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Glad I got the chance to meet you. Didn't realize the extent of your troubles when I saw you after the finish. It was friggin' hot out there. The sun was strong. I'm wondering if maybe you were on the verge of heat exhaustion. Maybe you needed more liquids. If you didn't pee till 8:30 - that could be a sign.

But you finished, and that was an accomplishment on a very tough course.

2008-07-02 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Perseverence.

Great job.

2008-07-02 11:36 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

Good job on finishing a hellish run - sorry about the projectile vomiting, that is NOT fun. The heat can get to you SO quickly and you don't even realize it.

I'm glad you're OK.

2008-07-02 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Awesome job finishing a very tough race. (Heat is definitely a big factor on race day)

Way to tough it out to the end although it sounds like you really paid the price at the end. (This race was definitely Puke Worthy)

Tupper Lake is such a beautiful area I hope you got at least a bit of time to hang out and enjoy some of the sights.
2008-07-02 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Amazing you finished that race...most people would have quit at the aching kidneys thing, and called a medic.  You definitely deserve the HIM title.  I wonder if it was the heat and not enough electrolytes.

You gotta post the pics of Dud changing, you should have yanked the towel and booked out of T2! 

2008-07-02 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

You were one hurting puppy.  What he doesn't remember is that i kept asking his name/date/place all the way home.  Dinner was good despite the dry heavings. 

Good job in that condition.  We'll do it next year again. 

2008-07-02 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Wow- way to HTFU!  And congrats on the swim.  See you in Geneva!
2008-07-02 8:21 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Wow, way to hang in there during a tough as nails course.  That is dedication.....or stubbornness, ont sure which   Seriously, you did great to keep going.
2008-07-02 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
I don't remember serving dry heavings for dinner.....
2008-07-02 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1505388

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good job for finishing under miserable conditions for you!  You need to do an IM - I think the IV's are free!
2008-07-03 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1505528

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jackjack - 2008-07-02 10:55 PM Good job for finishing under miserable conditions for you!  You need to do an IM - I think the IV's are free!

Free IV's at IM's?  That could prove to be useful information   !!!

2008-07-03 4:03 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I think we'd be close in a race, only you would kick my butt terribly in the swim.

GREAT JOB!!!

2008-07-07 6:19 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Nice job finishing the race when you're feeling like you were. You just have to have a sense of humor in those situations, way to go!!! Jeff may let you in to Musselman if you want to have another go at it!

Glad to hear you're all right. Projectile vomiting in BT attire ............... I hope someone got a pic of that!

2008-07-08 12:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-08 8:39 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Congrats on gutting it out!  Way to FINISH despite the difficulties.  Glad you are recovering too....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed