Penticton, British Columbia
Canada
Ironman North America
Total Time = 11h 01m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/115
Pre-race routine:

4:00am – wake up call. Slept well, had anticipated that sleep for many, many months, so was thrilled to get a good night in. I woke up often, but felt rested and relaxed. Went for a jog around the parking lot of the hotel to loosen everything up. Ate choked back my pre-race breakfast of hardboiled eggs and nuts. Got my bags ready and we headed out. Huge difference from last year’s nervousness! From the moment I woke up, I was in the zone. Ready, relaxed, excited and focused.
Event warmup:

5:00 –said goodbye to Chris, and headed down Main to the transition entrance. Before you go in, they body mark you. I ran into my friends from the pool in Calgary during that process, so chatted with them for a bit. Dropped off my special needs bags, and went to check on my bike. Decided to fill the tires, and in doing so, it appeared my front one wasn’t holding air. Soooo, I had to go back to the Race Wheels rental guys for the MILLIONTH time. Normally having to deal with bike issues on race morning would put me into a panic, but I was in a perfect mental space. He checked it out, and assured me it was fine. Stood in line for the bathroom a few times, sat in the corner listening to my iPod, and before long it was time to get the wetsuit on. Ran into a few other friends. One of them, Tessa (a first time Ironman-er) asks me, “So...what are you wearing tomorrow night?”. Seriously??? How can you possibly think about TOMORROW night at a time like this, much less what to WEAR???? She wanted to put on some type of costume to honour/mimic our coach, Sara. Speaking of Sara, I bumped into her shortly before they let us on to the beach. We chatted, giggled, hugged and said our farewells. Once we were allowed on the beach, I scoured the crowd to find Chris. As soon as I saw him, I started to get choked up. We chatted briefly before I hit the water for a warm-up. It was still freaking cold! Picked out my starting spot, and then just visualized the race until the anthem/canon went off.
Swim
  • 1h 02m 19s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

SWIM – Had a solid swim. Got tossed around a bit, including what had to be an INTENTIONAL kidney punch from some older guy. Didn’t let any of it phase me. Managed to swim straight, with decent sighting, but had a tough time getting into a good pack to draft. Stayed focused and in the present the whole time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

T1 – Smooth sailing. Had lots of volunteers helping me...they practically dressed me! It was awesome.
Bike
  • 5h 44m
  • 180.25 kms
  • 31.44 km/hr
Comments:

BIKE – The start of the bike course is freaking awesome. There are so many people lining Main St, cheering! Especially if you’re a girl! Throughout the day, I had SO many people screaming for me, “GO GIRL!” or “Yay CHICK!!!!”. Headed out on the bike course, and had a tough time getting into the groove. Its hard to not get really pumped with all the crowds, so it was a bit of a battle to ride my pace and keep my heart rate from sky-rocketing. Got passed by a number of men right off the bat, and then by a couple of girls...but Sara’s advice of “either they are stronger cyclists than you are, in which case....good for them, and there’s nothing you can do about that OR, they are going to blow up and you’ll pass them later on” made it easy to focus only on my race. About an hour in, I hit my groove. The weather was perfect, aside from a bit of headwind out to Oliver. Saw quite a few large packs of drafters, which made the non-drafters bond with each other. Made friends with a 42 year old guy from Vancouver, who’s done Ultramans and Ironman Hawaii. As the bike ride continued, my thoughts were mainly focused on a) trying to see Sara at the out-and-back portion, which would indicate I was having a good ride, and b) trying to get to Yellow Lake (about 75% of the way there) still feeling good and c) wanting the bike to be over, mainly because then the race was all in my own hands (and not the hands of the bike-problem gods!)
As soon as I hit the out-back, there was Sara. Check. I yelled out to her, but had a few bikes blocking me, so she couldn’t see me. There were markers every 20k on the bike, so I had started to do a bit of math in my head, but didn’t want to count my chickens before they hatched, so continued to focus on the moment.
By the time I neared Yellow Lake, I wasn’t sure if I was feeling good. In hindsight, I’m sure I wasn’t. I wasn’t feeling TERRIBLE, but the “did I just push too hard?” thoughts were creeping in. When we did that ride in training, around Yellow Lake, Sara had said, “This is the point in the race when you want to feel good. If you race smart, you’ll pass people here that went too hard. Visualize feeling good at this point.” So, during the race, I visualized that I felt great, and its like I pretended so hard, it came true. I had a solid climb up the last few hills, and then cruised downhill FAST for the last 20k. I knew I was going to beat my 6:00 bike goal...but anytime I had that thought, I reminded myself, “Anything can happen...don’t celebrate yet.”

Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

T2 – smooth sailing again. Probably could’ve shaved a few seconds, but thought I should use the portapotty there, as opposed to having to wait for one on the run.
Run
  • 4h 09m 46s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 05m 55s  min/km
Comments:

RUN- the ONLY thing that kept me going right off the start was the fact that I had friends/family watching the run. It took everything I had in me to not walk. I was not sure if I’d be able to pull it together. Legs felt heavy, stomach wasn’t happy....Then, around the 5k mark, I started to bounce back. A quote from a reputable coach was going through my head, about there being TWO times in every Ironman that it will take everything you have to not quit. One down. The run is where it gets eventful. I couldn’t believe how many people were walking already! Last year, I figured it was because of the time of day, but the people that were walking were people that had posted solid swim and bike times....but were obviously suffering from poor pacing, or other ailments. On the first half of the run, I don’t know that I had any real co-herent thought. I was pretty focused on the moment. I remember thinking if I saw Sara, I wanted to tell her how awesome I thought she was. Soon after that, I passed my friend Adrienne, desperately in search of soup at the aid station ( a sign of trouble, that early in the run). Mumbled some words of encouragement and kept on trucking. Started to see the top male pros on their way back into town. Shortly after that, at the same moment I ran into another friend, Kent, I saw Sara on her way back into town. I screamed, “Sara Gross! I LOVE YOU!”. She heard me, and I think she managed a wave and a “Hey Carrie” but the memory is a bit hazy. Awhile back, behind Sara, there was some serious pro-female carnage. One girl was up-chucking every other step. I had to concentrate on not thinking about it, or I would be joining her. Shortly behind her, was another female pro letting the vomit fly in the ditch. Not helpful for a stomach that was already turning. I kept trucking one step at a time, when near the out-and-back I hear, “CARRIE MEAKIN?? Is that YOU???”. It was my old partner teacher when I was at the U of C. She was watching her brother race, and thought she’d seen me earlier. She ran with me for probably a mile, and I can’t describe how HELPFUL that was! Totally took my mind off the pain. I was concerned about getting disqualified for having a “pacer” so asked her to drop back, when I saw the officials circling. Before long, I was at the turn around point. I was feeling ok. I had to fight the urge to do the math, because I still had a long, long way to run, and at last year’s race, this is where it got ugly. I think that fear might’ve kept my pace in check. I also had planned to start taking in gels at the turn around, so I knew that having pure sugar for the first time all day would give me a huge energy kick. It also gave me something to focus on. I enjoy the taste of the gels, and I knew after taking them for an hour, I’d be on to Coke. Other than thinking about Coke, I don’t really recall having any coherent thoughts. I was totally focused on the moment. Around mile 18, I started to time my mile pace, just to make sure I was still on track, and this helped give me something to focus on. One mile at time, my pace was good. Short of a disaster, my goal time was still within reason. Then, out of nowhere, I hear the mumbling of a “good job!” and over my shoulder is Adrienne FLYING past me. The same Adrienne who was desperately in need of soup way back at the start of the run. As we rolled into town, I heard the announcer at Skaha (4-5 miles to the end) call out Adrienne’s position in the 18-24 age group, and then about 20 seconds later I hear him say, “And shortly behind Adrienne, my wife, Shannon, in the same age group...c’mon Shannon.”. I knew somehow, Adrienne had dug deep, to find another gear to take the lead over her rival. I was inspired by this, and also wanted to watch their race unfold, so I too, picked up my pace. Nowhere near what they were managing, but enough that they were within sight. I kept up this pace through town, and at some point became aware that I hadn’t hit that second low that I was expecting. I kept up the pace, please I was managing to run what felt faster for the second half, and praying no one in my age group would pass me. At that point, someone in my age group passed me. Fast. There was NO chance I could’ve kept her pace. Not too long after that, I passed someone in my AG who appeared to be blowing up. Tears, pain, walking. So I managed to hold my spot in my age group, whatever that might be. I was wishing my friends that were out on the course could give me some clue about who was where, but didn’t have the strength to ask. As I came into town, I managed to keep my Adrienne inspired pace, and it started to sink in that this was really going to happen. With about 3 miles left, I knew, that no matter what happened, even if I had to WALK, I’d be proud of my finish time. But I ran hard anyway. At the 25 mile mark, you pass the finish line and head the opposite direction down Lakeshore Drive. As soon as we hit this point, another girl in my AG passed me. I dug deep, and built a lead on her, but I couldn’t hold on. She passed me again with less than half a mile to go, and I spent the last 0.5 mile trying unsuccessfully to catch her. 11:01:15. I was ecstatic. Crossing the finish line this year felt like it was supposed to feel last year.
Post race

Last updated: 2008-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:02:19 | 3862 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/115
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:44:00 | 180.25 kms | 31.44 km/hr
Age Group: 7/115
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:09:46 | 42.16 kms | 05m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 9/115
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-27 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Ironman Canada

2008-08-27 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1633128

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Ironman Canada
Wow, I will be reading this RR again before next year's race. I think the run you did was textbook...I used a comic book for my run. Great job out there! Congrats! And 9th in your AG! Way to go! Very inspiring.

Edited by hazmaster 2008-08-27 5:59 PM
2008-08-27 6:24 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
GREAT GREAT GREAT RACE!!! You CRUSHED LAST YEAR'S TIME!!!!
2008-08-27 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Great job out there! That run was a good story!
2008-08-27 7:19 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Great race report Carrie!  YOU ROCKED!!!
2008-08-28 6:52 AM

User image

Elite
Blazing fast swim time out there. You had a great time. You said you struggled through the run, but even doing so, you had a good run split. Congrats.

2008-08-28 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Carrie!  What an inspiring and motivating race report for anyone who is doing any race to read.  Enjoy some well-deserved R&R.
2008-08-28 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Good job Carrie!  You're RR is very interesting and I learned (and will try to remember)a couple of things you mentionned!  Hardwork paid off!!!
2008-08-28 10:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-28 11:06 AM

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Super race. Wow, you are an inspiration
2008-08-28 11:20 AM

Master
San Diego, CA
Fantastic race!! Congrats on an amazing finish !!! Top 10 in your age group. I've got to ask, did you figure out what to wear the next day? 

2008-08-28 11:35 AM

Master
NJ
Fantastic!!
2008-08-28 12:55 PM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Superb Race.   Quick in the Transition 
2008-08-28 1:22 PM

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Excellent race report Carrie - congrats on a very impressive race result.
2008-08-28 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1634844

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

jezzieswims - 2008-08-28 10:20 AM Fantastic race!! Congrats on an amazing finish !!! Top 10 in your age group. I've got to ask, did you figure out what to wear the next day? 

LOL!! That's pretty funny!!

I was counting on the girl that asked to be in so much agony she'd let it drop (I'm not really a costumey type person), but even the next morning she kept bugging us about it! I wore the only clean thing in my suitcase.

2008-08-29 7:15 PM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Amazing race Carrie! Sara has had you putting in some huge volume and it really paid off.

2008-09-03 1:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB

9th in your AG ... you're my hero.  Well done!  I'm particularily impressed with the mental toughness and focus you had.  It all boils down to that doesn't it.  I need to take some lessons from you in that area.  Good job Carrie, awesome race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Canada Rss Feed