General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-25 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall
Someone's blog recently talked about how great their pool swim times are, and how that hasn't translated into great swim splits at races. My pool times are pretty crappy - I'm always happy to get anything less than 2:00 min per 100 meters. Which is about the same pace that I get for swim splits at races, which is good for my age group.

I do alot of open water training, so that certainly helps alot. I don't slow down because of the open water conditions the way alot of people do - yaaaayy.

I got to thinking about why else are my race times the same as my pool times. One thing I do is never push hard off the wall. I barely kick the wall at all, just enough to get me going again. The reason I don't push hard is sometimes I get a bad cramp in my toes from it. And sometimes my goggles get messed up and start to leak if I'm flying off the walls.

More thinking - hmmm...I'm actually getting in more swim time per hour at the pool because I"m not spending much time gliding off the wall. This is a good thing for a triathlete.

I also do flip turns (badly) even tho I hate them. The reason I do them is so that I can't cheat and take a big breath at each wall. That's one of the hard things about OWS, is the lack of a wall to take a rest and a breath at.

So, that's my 2 fishies worth.

2008-09-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1696318

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall

Hmmmm, wonder who's log you are looking at .........

Innocent

For the record, I do open turns, which slows me down on the wall, then basically make it up with a moderate push off.

As for the breathing?  I've never gotten that argument.  If you look at the flip turn as a whole versus open swimming, you take a breath, then a stroke or two, turn, glide for a little and then stroke and breath.  You are actually holding your breath LONGER than if you were just swimming normally.  My opinion is that taking a breath on the wall in open turns is actually more realistic to what you do with OWS when you are constantly stroking and breathing.

The reason I think my pool swims don't translate over??  Part of it is that every swim this year I've participated in other than LP has been drastically mis-measured according to everyone that also did them comparing their other times.  That and my usually lack of solid sighting.  But I've worked on that a lot over the last year in events and have gotten better.

2008-09-25 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
BA, Oklahoma
Another big reason they don't translate over completely is waves.  Big waves and currents.  Oh, and other people who sneak baseball bats into their wet suits, and then beat everyone around them senseless as they swim by.

User image

Davenport, IA
Yeah, I blew up in my first race because of that.  I'd been swimming in a 25yd pool and pushing off the wall every time.  So I was pushing 1:35/100yds.  First race was a pool swim in a 50 meter pool, 400 yards total.  Estimated swim time for start order, etc... So I signed up in the high 6's/low 7's and thought I'd be good to go.  Finished in 9 something.  Gassed out at 25 yds when there wasn't a wall there to catch breath at, ended up doing breaststroke to get my head above water long enough to get a deep breath.  It was ugly.  Now I make sure to circle swim in my lane so I can't push off the wall.  My swims have improved consistently. 

User image

Expert
I agree with you for the same reasons.  Of course, I don't have to worry about pushing off the walls.  They are usually crowded with people just hanging out, and I have to end up turning around in the lane just short of the wall.  I hate reaching out to the wall and plopping my hand on someone's arm who just has it sitting on the wall next to their body.  Almost as bad as getting cannon-balled by someone obvlivious to you coming up to the wall and decided it'd be a nice time to make their entry from the deck.
2008-09-25 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1696355

User image

Davenport, IA

toader - 2008-09-25 1:41 PM Another big reason they don't translate over completely is waves.  Big waves and currents.  Oh, and other people who sneak baseball bats into their wet suits, and then beat everyone around them senseless as they swim by.

What, like the Clif Bar commercial?

2008-09-25 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1696344

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Daremo - 2008-09-25 2:38 PM

As for the breathing? I've never gotten that argument. If you look at the flip turn as a whole versus open swimming, you take a breath, then a stroke or two, turn, glide for a little and then stroke and breath. You are actually holding your breath LONGER than if you were just swimming normally. My opinion is that taking a breath on the wall in open turns is actually more realistic to what you do with OWS when you are constantly stroking and breathing.

I don't have the self discipline NOT to pause at the wall each time for a nice long breath. Also, I do not glide under water long at all. I am up swimming again before the flags. I want to get up for air quickly, so at least for me, a flip turn is better.

The reason I think my pool swims don't translate over?? Part of it is that every swim this year I've participated in other than LP has been drastically mis-measured according to everyone that also did them comparing their other times.

I'm happy to hear that Swim courses never seem to be measured well. I try not to pay too much attention to my swim time when I exit the water in a race, because you never know about the course.
2008-09-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1696344

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Daremo - 2008-09-25 11:38 AM

Hmmmm, wonder who's log you are looking at .........

Innocent

For the record, I do open turns, which slows me down on the wall, then basically make it up with a moderate push off.

As for the breathing?  I've never gotten that argument.  If you look at the flip turn as a whole versus open swimming, you take a breath, then a stroke or two, turn, glide for a little and then stroke and breath.  You are actually holding your breath LONGER than if you were just swimming normally.  My opinion is that taking a breath on the wall in open turns is actually more realistic to what you do with OWS when you are constantly stroking and breathing.

The reason I think my pool swims don't translate over??  Part of it is that every swim this year I've participated in other than LP has been drastically mis-measured according to everyone that also did them comparing their other times.  That and my usually lack of solid sighting.  But I've worked on that a lot over the last year in events and have gotten better.

That's why I don't do them, they actually mess my breathing up more.

I push off the wall a little but nothing like Phelps. If I'm going all out I can swim sets of 100M in the low 1:20's. If I'm going at a moderate effort I'm in the high 1:20's to mid 1:30's. My TT pace is mush slower but still faster then my OW split. Now, in my last two races I've swam 1000M OW at 1:46/100M and 750m at 1:57/100M. Neither race was wet suit legal. IDK what my problem is there. I guess Rick and I are suffering from the same type of thing. Part of my problem is that I've gone out really fast in both my races in an effort to avoid the cage match but then I slow down a bit to control my breathing and heart rate.

I guess I could swim an extra 100M or two in order to compensate for the marginal pushing off that I do while making open turns but I don't think that's my problem. My goal is to get 3-4 month of master's in during the off season which should help correct anything wrong with my stroke.

2008-09-25 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I wouldn't worry about push offs too much.. As a triathlete our legs should be too tired most of the time to do a good push off anyway.

I know mine are.
2008-09-25 2:39 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

The only accurate swim I've had this year was LP, and I did that 2 minutes faster than I swam in FL in a more brutal washing machine by far.  But both courses were pretty much dead calm.  If you compare that to the point to point of Chessieman last year (same distance, but in brackish water) which was absolutely brutal choppy waves and zero current helping us, I was almost 20 minutes faster at my IM swims!

I guess that is why I was a little bit disappointed with my tri last weekend that turned into a du.  Yeah, it allowed me to finish top 15 overall because it got rid of my limiter, but it also did not let me get a gauge of where I am in the pack swimming.

Now there is a possibility because of the East Coast weather that my sprint this weekend will ALSO turn into a Du.  Bummer ...... ...... Never thought I'd hear that coming out of me!!  Bummer they cancelled a swim???

Edited by Daremo 2008-09-25 2:39 PM
2008-09-25 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1696598

User image

Expert
As much as I've been swimming recently, I hope they don't turn my sprint into a Du this weekend.  The swimming is the only part I do well on.     Low 50's and rain are the forecast so far.  Tonight through Saturday night here in NJ is just supposed to be a washout, with Saturday being the worst.  *crossing fingers for swimming on Sunday*

2008-09-25 3:54 PM

User image

Well, not to slam your tip, but a better tip is to train like the triathletes that are good swimmers do.  Sorry, as a swimmer I think your advice is bad advice.  OK, it's sort of a slam.

MacCormack came and swam with our masters, as has Wendy Ingraham.   When they stop doing flip turns and pushing off the wall, I will.  Some with the local AG winners in tris that I swim with.  I can hold 1:12 100s in the pool.  My OW times are usually in the 1:25 range, which includes variables such as sighting, waves, course layout, and running up the beach to T1 timing mat.

If you think you are faster because you are getting more swim time from pushing off the wall.... just swim more   And if you think that a properly performed flip turn is a "rest," I'd venture to say you haven't properly performed one

This is all, of course, just my opinion

Edited by ChrisM 2008-09-25 3:56 PM
2008-09-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1696916

User image

over a barrier
ChrisM - 2008-09-25 3:54 PM

Well, not to slam your tip, but a better tip is to train like the triathletes that are good swimmers do.  Sorry, as a swimmer I think your advice is bad advice.  OK, it's sort of a slam.

MacCormack came and swam with our masters, as has Wendy Ingraham.   When they stop doing flip turns and pushing off the wall, I will.  Some with the local AG winners in tris that I swim with.  I can hold 1:12 100s in the pool.  My OW times are usually in the 1:25 range, which includes variables such as sighting, waves, course layout, and running up the beach to T1 timing mat.

If you think you are faster because you are getting more swim time from pushing off the wall.... just swim more   And if you think that a properly performed flip turn is a "rest," I'd venture to say you haven't properly performed one

+1, if I want a rest I do open turns.
2008-09-25 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1696933

User image

Sensei
Sin City
running2far - 2008-09-25 1:58 PM
ChrisM - 2008-09-25 3:54 PM

+1, if I want a rest I do open turns.

me three, but I'm sort of slow compared to the above...

2008-09-25 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1696916

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
ChrisM - 2008-09-25 4:54 PM

If you think you are faster because you are getting more swim time from pushing off the wall....

I didn't say I was faster because I am doing a weak push off the wall. I'm saying my ows swim time is closer to my pool swim time because I am doing a weak push off the wall rather than a power push. In fact, I didn't use the word fast in relation to my swimming at all. That would be an oxymoron.

I stand by my advice not to push hard off the wall so you aren't spending 1/3 of your time gliding. Gliding does not help a triathlete.

Edited by keyone 2008-09-25 5:26 PM
2008-09-25 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1697140

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I don't have a swimming background and the one flip turn I tried I bashed my head on the bottom of the pool.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I resigned myself to open turns.  When I swim I barely push off the wall and figure I loose 2-4 seconds per 100 with my turns.  I've only done one OWS and swam much faster that my pool swims.

2008-09-25 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1697175

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I have found my pool times and OWS times are pretty close.  BECAUSE:

Pool swim with an average push = OWS with a full wetsuit....  But that's me.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-09-25 5:44 PM
2008-09-25 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'll admit it I am a swimmer and have done my share of open water swims with serious open water swimmers. I can assure you that they all do flip turns in practice. Among the many arguments that have been made in various threads on flip turns and push offs one thing is missing. Everytime I push off the most important thing I focus on is streamlining. This is an essential skill in swimming fast. I also kick harder and focus on a balanced stroke as I surface. These stengths are all important in open water racing. I will admit that if I am racing all out in a race I surface at about the flags. In my practice warmup, I focus more on streamlining and go well beyond the flags.

As for spending more of your time swimming, my observation is that pushing off the wall I surface at around the same time as swimmers that don't and so I end up just doing more yards. Another important aspect is that I can maintain my tempo and speed and do not have to accelerate as I come off each wall.

2008-09-25 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1697200

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
E=H2O - 2008-09-25 6:50 PM

I'll admit it I am a swimmer and have done my share of open water swims with serious open water swimmers. I can assure you that they all do flip turns in practice. Among the many arguments that have been made in various threads on flip turns and push offs one thing is missing. Everytime I push off the most important thing I focus on is streamlining. This is an essential skill in swimming fast. I also kick harder and focus on a balanced stroke as I surface. These stengths are all important in open water racing. I will admit that if I am racing all out in a race I surface at about the flags. In my practice warmup, I focus more on streamlining and go well beyond the flags.

As for spending more of your time swimming, my observation is that pushing off the wall I surface at around the same time as swimmers that don't and so I end up just doing more yards. Another important aspect is that I can maintain my tempo and speed and do not have to accelerate as I come off each wall.

X2. I was just going to post the benefits of streamline practice and "gliding". These skills help you go much faster while using less energy. It's all about efficiency, very fundamental in triathlon.

Pam
2008-09-25 6:03 PM

User image

Master
I do open turns, and my race splits are fairly close to the ones in the pool. If I was a trained swimmer and it came naturally, I'd probably continue with flip turns. Since I'm not, there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to start, as it will never be needed in my races.
2008-09-25 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1697140

User image

Gliding does not help a triathlete.

In that, we will have to agree to disagree.

Drafting on the bike does not "help" a triathlete either, but it is an important skill to master so you learn to safely ride in groups

As I said, it's all my opinion, if your advice results in slower swimmers in my AG all the better

ETA - For the record, I am a proponent of doing whatever works for you.  Flip turns, no flip turns, pushing off, not pushing off, whatever is best for (the Royal) you, go for it if it works, for you.  Don't presume that if you say that what you do is ideal for others, as in a tip, will not go unchallenged, however. 

Edited by ChrisM 2008-09-25 6:28 PM

2008-09-25 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1697263

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I swim in pudding.  Since it has a higher viscosity, it helps me when I get to the open water.

Yes, it's been a long day.....

2008-09-25 6:31 PM

User image

Master
I swim in pudding. Since it has a higher viscosity, it helps me when I get to the open water.

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

Edited by monkeyboy64 2008-09-25 6:32 PM
2008-09-25 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1697271

User image

Aikidoman - 2008-09-25 4:29 PM

I swim in pudding.  Since it has a higher viscosity, it helps me when I get to the open water.

What flavor (it can be any flavor, just so long as it's chocolate)?

Don't laugh, there was a study, you're probably as fast in molasses as you are in water

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/08/19/faster.swimming.ap/

Edited by ChrisM 2008-09-25 6:34 PM
2008-09-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1697271

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Aikidoman - 2008-09-25 4:29 PM

I would think that is an advantage in the event you swallow some water (oops I meant  pudding) during your swim.

Strange enough this might be a good alternative to wearing drag suits. :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall Rss Feed  

of 2