Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1854118

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
Subject: RE: Tri Haters
Oh boy - this is one of my favorite topics. In the year + I've been doing this, I've had a couple doozies.

The first was at a dinner where a friend told a story about a funeral he was at, where the 40-something guy had died of a heart attack "training for a triathlon". Most of the [mostly out-fo-shape] fellow 40-somethings at the table reacted with some classics like "that's why you'd never catch me doing that", or "that was pretty smart", or something similarly ingenious and backed by medical research. We're all entitled to our opinion, but I've been on both sides and I'll take the odds on the triathlon lifestyle myself. I guess the shaved legs didn't give it away...

The other classic are the ones who say: "well, you only did half a tri, right?" or "it was just a sprint" as a way of downplaying that you "only" did a sprint. Never mind that even a sprint is more than an hour of hardcore activity, and can be, in its own way, just as hard as a longer event. When I finish my first HIM this year, I'm sure there will be someone who says it was "just a half".

I have embraced that this is my thing that I enjoy, and not everyone gets it, and some people will think it's nuts. Even my wife doesn't totally get it, even though she is glad that I'm doing cardio exercise again. But she's come a long way - I caught her looking at Triathlete magazine a few weeks back seeing if there were any HIM's that we could combine into a family weekend trip.

So - do your thing, enjoy the training, have fun at your race, and be better for it!

2008-12-15 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I'm pretty lucky in that most of my friends value me (and my wife) enough not to sneer at our endurance sports involvement...not least because they can't sneer at the 75 lbs I lost and the 64 lbs she lost. With co-workers, the story is a bit more mixed, but mostly I've found people to be relatively inspired by my "war stories." The trick is to be sensitive to signals that someone isn't really interested, but just being polite.

What I find interesting is some of the reaction among my extended network of friends on the Web. A large percentage of them are flat out morbidly obese. Some of them--it's clear--are less than enthusiastic about my blogging about my race results. Funny thing, though: In more than one instance, the same people who were sitting on their butts and nitpicking my weightloss and training results in the recent past are now quietly hitting the gym. Coincidence? I think not.

To the OP: As others have said, don't give the haters any fuel for the hate (either by giving them more power over your choices than they deserve--which is none--or by crossing the line from justifiably sharing news about your goals and progress into out-and-out obsessive talk about triathlon, which can make people who aren't active feel shamed, whether they realize it or not.)
2008-12-15 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I haven't encountered too much. But there was time when I was talking about a local park with a  co-worker in my who happened to live in my neighbourhood and and another co-worker joined in.  I mentioned that I was always running around this particular park in my area when she looked up and said "Oh yeah, you're out there pretending to be an athlete."

It was a bit like a punch in the stomach.  It was sensitive because i've struggled with the idea of being an athlete - but, seriously, from her?!! I'd already done a marathon or two and she can barely get up the stairs! Anyway, I brushed it off at the time because it might well be true and no need to get upset about it.  It's funny how that little comment has stayed with me.  But i still remember it and just remember where it comes from.  Her comment certainly hasn't deterred me in any way and now I use her to remember that she's not the person I want to be in 20 years - would i rather be out there as she said "pretending to be an athlete" and keeping myself fit or be a sedentary victim who doesn't encourage and support people.

Edited by juniperjen 2008-12-15 11:29 AM
2008-12-15 11:27 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

First, I did IronGirl up in Maryland and it was fantastic - I am sure you will have an awesome time!!

I think a lot of naysaying comes from folks who can't even imagine trying to do something like this anytime past being college-aged.  There's probably some insecurity in the mix, too.

Honestly, just ignore them.

Most of my friends will tell me I'm nuts, but it is in a supportive way, and they're all happy to see I've survived my races.

2008-12-15 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Alot of good stuff here. Ever go to a bar and drink a diet coke with no alcohol in it? Folks who are getting drunk don't like others to be sober around them. People who are not active often do not like to have active people around them.

But, becoming a triathlete is not about them, it is about you. You are making a choice to show dedication to changing your lifestyle, getting fit, losing a few pounds and learning new things, challenging yourself to do something so hard that others are truely in disbelief that anyone they know would even try such a thing. You can read what folks say, encouraging or not, but in the end it is your choice and it is a positive one. Eventually your friends will be bragging to others about, "this friend of mine, she rides her bike 40 miles on the weekend and then goes for a 6 mile run, she is amazing, I could never do anything like that and I think she has lost like 20 pounds or something."

7 months is pleanty of time to get in shape for a Sprint tri and do it well. In the past 6 months I went from not being able to do freestyle to being able to swim 2.4 miles continuously. In the past year I have gone from considering 8 miles a really long bike ride to riding 65+ miles. I went from considering 1-2 miles a really long run to completing a 20 mile run. And I have lost 40 pounds. I completed a 5k, 10mile, half mary and 18.5 mile trail run, a Sprint Tri, Oly and HIM. This site is full of folks who have made this journey and if you stay with it you too will improve in all three sports. I am 41 by the way, many have started this journey at a much older age.

Once you cross that tri finish line for the first time, you will be able to just smile and say, "I am a triathlete." And you won't have to say anything more, just smile and walk on.

Be warned though, that you might have to buy a bunch of clothes as your current ones probably won't fit you in 6 months, they will be too big.

Edited by Baowolf 2008-12-15 11:55 AM
2008-12-15 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Tis' normal.  I have to watch how much I talk about all this to people who just aren't interested in it.  I get bored when people talk about a TV show I don't watch, and yes, I even make comments about how dumb it is.  Or even someone going on and on and on about their kids.  Same deal in a way.

As people see the commitment, they come around.  Though they still won't entertain you by listening to you endlessly go on and on about triathlon, it can get better.  A lot of my co-workers have gone from the "you're crazy" attitude to asking me when my next race is or what I did on the bike or running over the weekend.  I'll answer, then ask them how their weekend was.  Typical office chat.

Edited by sesh 2008-12-15 12:39 PM

2008-12-15 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
First off...congrats on your decision to tri. It changed my life three years ago and continues to do so today.
I had alot of 'haters' as a 260lb guy who made a decision to do a tri, but I didn't let it bother me. I realized that I had changed my mind-set to a place where they weren't. Those people came around as the pounds came off, then completely shut up after my first race. Now 15 races and 60 pounds later, some of those 'haters' are signing up for some '09 races with me.
Also, some of those comments will help in the final miles of your upcoming brick workouts to get you through.

Enjoy!

2008-12-15 1:21 PM

User image

Houston, TX
x 2 kuotaguy.  I've never really experienced any bigtime haters but whats great is when your colleagues start joining you in races.  They start caring where they never cared before, they start asking questions, and before you know it you get a few signed up for the local fun-runs and races. 
2008-12-15 1:38 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

"You can't do a triathlon. You can't even swim!" or, "YOU are going to do a tri? Ok. Ha ha!"

The people saying these things are just trying to douse your light to try to make theirs seem less dim.  They're just giving voice to their own insecurities and self-hatred. It actually has very little to do with you.

I have two standard responses to this sort of thing depending on my mood: 

"Of course I can do a triathlon (marathon, ironman...). You could too! It's just a matter of putting in the training."

or

" If you had any idea what this has done for my sex life, you'd be training 2 times a day starting this afternoon."  Innocent

2008-12-15 1:48 PM

OK, please, everyone, don't get mad at me but just posting a different point of view.  And I am not a hater -- I think everyone can do a tri if they set their mind to it and I think its great that the poster is learning to swim and setting goals like this.  I give her 100% support!

But, as a long-time runner, I have seen many people get really excited about doing a marathon in the first couple weeks of training.  Its all they talk about.  IMHO, they are living the glory of completing it before they do the work.  Its a different story when its time to get up at 6am and run 15+ miles.   The race is the reward for all the training that you do for months beforehand.

As the poster said, "I've been telling anyone who will listen that I'm going to complete a triathlon."  My opinion is - less talk and more action.  Yes, tell a couple friends who will support you.  It definitely helps keep you accountable during your training if you have your friends ask about it.  But for everyone else, save the talk for when you can be proud of what you have done, and not what you are going to do. 

2008-12-15 1:54 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Welcome to BT Mai.   

Keep your positive attitude going, do not let others negativity get your down.  Like others said,  they are jealous/envious of your determination and desires.  

Keep us informed on your progress, and if you need to talk/ask questions/vent/rant, come here to BT,  Most of us know what you are talking about and can resond with positive reinforment.

Happy Tri Training.

2008-12-15 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur
Hey!! I'm in Atlanta and doing the same Tri.

I'm going to PM you!
2008-12-15 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1854878

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
marmadaddy - 2008-12-15 2:38 PM

"You can't do a triathlon. You can't even swim!" or, "YOU are going to do a tri? Ok. Ha ha!"

The people saying these things are just trying to douse your light to try to make theirs seem less dim.  They're just giving voice to their own insecurities and self-hatred. It actually has very little to do with you.

I have two standard responses to this sort of thing depending on my mood: 

"Of course I can do a triathlon (marathon, ironman...). You could too! It's just a matter of putting in the training."

or

" If you had any idea what this has done for my sex life, you'd be training 2 times a day starting this afternoon."  Innocent

Really?

2008-12-15 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

DancerMAXS - 2008-12-15 8:47 AM

My question: How do you deal with these negative people?

I don't. F them.

2008-12-15 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1854878

User image

Expert
MA
marmadaddy - 2008-12-15 2:38 PM

I've used that a couple of times myself. There's just no arguing with "I can go hard for 90 minutes and still come back for more".

Hell when I was a month out of my first tri my own mother told me I couldn't do it. Hating comes from all directions and only you know what you've got until you let it out. If this stuff were easy we wouldn't be doing it - we'd be doing something else.
2008-12-15 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
It's strange that the people who haven't done one, and who really don't know what it is or what is takes will tell you that you CAN'T do it.

People who have done it, know about the commitment, sacrifices, expense, conflicting obligations, injuries and self-doubt will tell you that you CAN do it.

Don't worry, you have plenty of time to learn to swim and be ready for your race.

2008-12-20 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1854901

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
NC Runner - 2008-12-15 12:48 PM
Its all they talk about.  IMHO, they are living the glory of completing it before they do the work. 

Being excited about the present is a very good thing.

The race is the reward for all the training that you do for months beforehand.

Not for me it isn't. The day-to-day training is my reward. Where I live, you're considered crazy if you're not outside training as much as possible. Good luck Mai ! Ignore the haters.
2008-12-20 8:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ
My question: How do you deal with these negative people?

Just eat them--you'll need the protein when your training heats up!  
2008-12-20 8:46 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
When I first started I didn't even tell anyone what I was doing because i was not interested in what others thought or dealing with what you are experiecing.  Some people do not understand concepts such as hard work, commitment and personal goals.  Do your thing.  Don't worry about the haters, joy vampires, whatever you want to call them.  They are always there. Just ignore them.  You'll do great.
2008-12-21 12:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
I agree with most here, but being Georgia born and Georgia bred, and willing to argue about anything I would ask you to take a moment and put the shoe on the other foot.

First of all in Georgia football is king, second are other team sports in no particular order. Individual sports are not the norm back there, they just aren't. If you had said you were training for a marathon the same response would be there.

If the people you are taking the time to mention your new addiction to are worthy, take the time to explain why, not just what. If its the same folks that aren't important that keep busting your chops you can either take the high road, or ask them how they can afford to keep getting fatter in this economy, afterall clothes aren't free, right?

Good luck, but they can only bring you down if you let them, and you could possibly introduce them to this sport and have someone to share training tips with eventually.
2008-12-21 1:01 AM

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL

Jeffy_101 has a great point.  Stick to it!

I am big on quotes for motivation, and I like Mark Twain for this topic:

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

This site is filled with a lot of great people.  I have been lucky that my life is too!  While I'm sure they think I'm crazy, they totally support me.

2008-12-21 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

When I owned my business, my attorney would say that anytime someone chooses to stick their head above the crowd, there are any number of people who are happy to try to chop it off.

In this super-sized fast food, electric bike, segway, extra sugar, extra fat, buy it online so you don't have to go to the store, don't walk when you can ride in a car world, people who choose to live a healthy lifestyle and challenge themselves physically are sticking their heads above the crowd.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Haters Rss Feed  

of 2