EndorFun
damnF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 51/93
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:55. Drank my usual STRONG latte and choked down half a plain bagel and half a banana. Double checked my gear and off we went. Major traffic getting into the race site....finally at about 6:15 my older son and i got out and walked the rest of the way.......we walked for about 10 minutes or so.
Event warmup:

So I tried a novel way to do a pre race warm up....I had a COMPLETE F*CKING HISSY FIT. Yep...that got my heart rate up!
I had half my wetsuit on.....was waiting for them to announce the start which was delayed because of a traffic accident. Porta potty lines were way too long so I tell my fam to wait there , I am just going to go and pee in the lake.
Well....off I go......pollute the lake, warm up my wetsuit and am actually feeling eerily calm. I hear someone call out from the beach....fellow BT'er who recognized me. We chatted for a bit and I return to my fam. Except they are not there...and neither is my wetsuit top. Start to freak, call my DH......nope, he says...we have moved to the swim start,,,no we did not see your top. Well........all hell breaks loose. I started sobbing, VERY loudly, added in many expletives and generally behaved like a complete and utter diva. Many volunteers and officials came up to offer assistance, but my top was no where.
I return to transition bawling my eyes out...and......suddenly remember that I left the top on the beach. Got distracted with the chatting. I RUN through the crowds to the beach and find the top. They have still not announced the start...so i stroll down towards the start.....which is WAY down at the other end of the beach. I ask a cop when they are going to start. They HAVE started he tells me. I was in the third wave.
I sprint down the beach, dodging the crowds and attempt to run like hell whilst putting on my top. I get there....its a water start. All the pink caps are at the flag. I ask a guy to zip me up and am about to wade out to join them when he reminds me to head back up to the beach and go across the timing mat. Yup.....I would have DNF'd the whole d*mn race. If i could find this kind soul I would give him a HUGE hug!!
I get to the mat and the official lets me through as the gun goes off. i wade out as fast as i can...then take a couple of minutes to calm down and adjust my sleeves. The kayaker tells me "Its ok honey...you can do it!" thinking i am a nervous swimmer. Not!
So I start swimming........
Swim
  • 44m 26s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well as soon as I started swimming I was thinking...because of the fiasco and late start........wow I really am going to be the last girl in my AG out of the water. No matter I told myself. Just swim. And then the most magical thing happened. I started to catch up to the pack.....and began to pass people. Effortless swim. Zero issues. I enjoyed it. I even took the time to encourage a couple of guys who looked like they were really NOT comfortable in the water. One guy was doing the side stroke!!!
What would you do differently?:

Well gee.....not lose my wetsuit top and have a diva fit and almost miss my start! That might make it better next time! I think the whole fiasco probably added a couple of minutes to the swimmy time.....but who cares?
The swim itself was easy. I had done so many open water swims of double that distance that this swim seemed short.

Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

This was not stellar......because of the ridiculous start I did not use and Pam or bodyglide. My top got stuck on both wrists....there is aquagirl stumbling along encased in a neoprene straight jacket.....which given my earlier behavior was probably not such a bad idea!
I do believe Erica has some pictures of me trying to remove my wetsuit with my teeth,......yes, my teeth.
When I was finally free of the top i used the strippers.....awesome!
Got to my bike and had to take the time to put on my silly Injinjis.....because otherwise my toes would have fallen off. But it is sure a time waster,,,inserting one piggy at a time into those babies. I was glad I took the time afterwards though........

Not be a moron??
Bike
  • 3h 09m 31s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 28.53 km/hr
Comments:

I was VERY happy to get on sexy girl and go for a ride. I made her PROMISE that we would not hammer.......and we did not. It was an effortless ride.
There were a couple of glitches. At the beginning of the ride i ran over someones discarded race number with an adhesive back...it got got all tangled up in my front wheel. Glad i did not crash because of it. I got off my bike......said many nasty words and got rid of it.
Then i somehow dropped a chain while going up a roller. WTF? I never drop the chain. Oh well....i fix it and get back on the bike. As I do there are a bunch of geeek helmet dudes that ask me if everything is ok.I assure them that its all good and then proceed to tell them that I have regretted not having a pee while I was down there! I could have multi- tasked! They got a ggigle out of that.
The rest of the ride was just a barrel of fun. I loved it. Chatted with lots of people....you know as I passed them!
Now.......is this TMI?? Can I put this in a RR? Very proud to say that I did NOT stop to pee. Sexy girl told me that under NO circumstances were we to stop..........so i did not. Socks would have been yellow had they not been black!!!
Drank a bottle of jet fuel an hour just as I usually do on a long ride.No problems.
I must confess, however, that at the turn around i started to develop a headache. I ignored it..but it was building. i did a really stupid thing...I popped a couple of Advils...I know I know...I can see you all shaking your heads. But I knew that I was really well hydrated, and I do not sweat, so the risk of dehydration was minimal. All you had to do was check my socks to know that I was REALLY well hydrated.

Absolutely nothing. Paced it easy. I know I am capable of riding way faster than this.......and maybe I took it too easy....but given the conditions on the run i am glad that I saved all i had in the tank......
Transition 2
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I cannot do the fancy fly off your bike whilst your shoes are still attached, since I have road shoes with a crank. There are no tri shoes on this planet that fit my ridiculous feet. So just a boring old dismount.
Got the shoes on, put on a hat...stuffed my pockets with gel and slapped on the race belt while running.

Next time i am going to use a race belt with gel holders....one less thing to do.
Run
  • 2h 28m 4s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 07m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Well. I did everything right up to this point. Did not hammer the bike. Nutrition and fluids spot on. Well trained for the run........but holy f*ck. it got hot. Really hot. And humid like a d*mn rain forest. It must have been at least 95F with I am sure 80% humidity.
Yes we have weather just like this in the summer.....not unusual. Except this year it has been a cool, wet season. I was NOT acclimatized for these conditions.
At the beginning of the run my right quad cramped up. OUCH. I took three Endurolytes at the very first station and kept my fingers crossed. it worked itself out thank God.
To manage the heat I did the very best i could with ice in my hat....my strip of soaking wet cloth around my neck and lots of cold sponges. There was a hockey team , the Laconia Leafs who scraped a rink and had a ton of snow for the runners! This felt really good under my hat.
I actually felt pretty good for the first 5k. Stopped to walk the aid stations to save energy for later,,,not because I felt i HAD to walk.
But soon the train came off the rails. it got hotter and I started to feel pretty cruddy. Drank a ton....took a gel as per usual every 30 minutes. Still felt hideous and soon enough I was joining the leagues of walkers. ran as much as i could......but there was walking. When it gets real hot like that its like i do not have a choice. My body just plain stops.
So I made the best of it...ran as much as i could and chatted and joked around with all the other suffering souls around me.
There was one really nice dude named Clayton. He asked me if I rode a Cervelo......yes i say....he then tells me that he has been chasing me all day! Well ya caught me on the run Clayton!!
We kept each other company and encouraged each other.Made it easier.
Finally the blessed finish line was in sight. It is a wonderful experience to run down a finish chute that is absolutely packed with spectators,,,all screaming and ringing cowbells! I blasted off and sprinted to the finish line.
It was truly magical!!!!
And guess who put on my medal??? Yup, Chrissie Wellington! She gave me a big hug, and smiled her beautiful smile. She took the time to chat with me for a few. I told her that she was a Goddess.........

I do not really know. I felt I was well trained for the run . Had run this distance countless times in training.
I would love to get to a place where my fitness level allows me to run the whole half marathon in a HIM....but i am not there yet. Thats ok . I will get there. Eventually!
Post race
Warm down:

Warm DOWN???? I dunno....I stopped......is that not enough?? I was tired!
Does walking to the beer tent count?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmmmm.........guess my run fitness is just not there yet. It will come with time. I know these things cannot be rushed.

Event comments:

I would do this race again in a heartbeat. Keith's races are a blast. This course is lovely. And I would love another crack at that run.......

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:26 | 1931 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/93
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:31 | 90.12 kms | 28.53 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Fantastic course ! Rollers and only one climb of any significance. Not much of a monster if you ask me.........compared to my Gats, that was not bad at all. Gorgeous smooth pavement for the most part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:28:04 | 21.08 kms | 07m 01s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: It was a nice course. Couple of hills, false flats but mostly shaded. It was not the course itself that was an issue. This is probably an easier course to run than Mooseman.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 7:34 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2367917

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Great RR and Congrats!!! As you mentioned, I was the guy that screwed up your mojo right before the race... Oops! Sorry. Guess who else was medaled by the queen of Ironman??? Oh yeah me that's who!!! I was speechless. I looked up and there she was all I could say was Holy  ! Oh My God! I didn't know what to say so I literally bowed down in "we're not worthy" form. What a douche bag I was. She laughed at me. I hope somewhere there is a picture!!! 

Congrats on your first and slugging it out in spite of the heat. I was so down on the high chance of rain that I hadn't even considered the possibility of heat and humidity. Thank heavens for the hockey team. I took a big ball of ice each time and smashed it on under my hat. What a god send!!!

Oh yeah, sorry I was speaking during your national anthem. I really didn't know you were from Canada...Laughing   

Edited by sgillen 2009-08-24 7:53 PM
2009-08-24 7:58 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You took what the day handed you with style  

The hissy fit pre race sounds comical, like something I might do!  Love you feelong effortless on the bike and hanging in there for a hotter than h3ll run.

Congratulations on the first HIM!!

2009-08-24 8:08 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Great race! Thanks for the laugh with the pre race hysteria  Not everything goes according to plan!

2009-08-24 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Awesome job Helen.  You looked great out there.  Those pics look familar.  You could have used the ones I took of you catching up to the pack in the water.  

2009-08-24 8:24 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Edited by lastcall2003 2009-08-24 8:25 PM

2009-08-24 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2368029

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ummm pls excuse the technical difficulties

Edited by lastcall2003 2009-08-24 8:26 PM
2009-08-24 8:29 PM

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
Top Stuff Helen.. I am glad it went so well (and it looks like you enjoyed yourself)
2009-08-24 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job.  Hate those hot runs.  Would much rather it be 55 and cloudy.  Still can't pee on the bike but good job with the dark socks.  Always fun to have someone to share the misery of the run.  Keep up the good work.
2009-08-24 9:01 PM

, Alabama

WAY TO GO!   I need to get me some socks like that!  I'm glad they were black...the yellow they would've ultimately turned didn't match the outfit!

2009-08-24 9:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Great race Helen!  And you looked good doing it too!  I'm so proud of you!

2009-08-24 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Great race report. What a tragic beginning. That is a reoccurring nightmare for me, losing an essential piece of equipment.

Tough run, although from your picture looks like you are having a pretty good time.

Congrats.
2009-08-24 9:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-24 9:45 PM

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations, Helen!!! You ROCKED it!!!
2009-08-24 10:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Seriously you crack me up!! Great race!!..and I will put it here where no one will find it..I peed in my wetsuit too..I have swore up and down that I would never ever pee in my wetsuit but I did....not on my bike, cause Im more of a pee in my running shoes kinds a girl when it comes to that....but the late race start made it necessary...ssssssssssshhhh don't tell anyone..it'll be our secret!

Edited by trirific10 2009-08-24 10:11 PM
2009-08-24 10:12 PM

Master
East Side of the Bay
Strong work Helen!! Your diva fit sounds hysterical now but must have been awful as it happened.  Glad you got in the water when you did.  Great job getting through the heat- you still had an awesome time in my book!!!

2009-08-25 12:05 AM

Master
San Diego, CA
Well done Helen!! Chrissie Wellington is one of my heros, I'm so jealous.

Well played on a tough race with lots of heat. I'm glad to read that your asthma stayed in check especially in the heat and humidity.

As for the pre race drama I feel ya. I'd be pi$$ed if I couldn't find my wetsuit top. Congrats, you earned this one!
2009-08-25 4:27 AM

Elite
Connecticut
Great job out there Helen.  And yes, I have a few lovely pictures of you trying to eat your wetsuit.  Pretty funny!
2009-08-25 5:45 AM

Uxbridge
Congrats Helen. GREAT RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you would be able to do it on the bike
2009-08-25 6:31 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
I am SOOOOOOO freakin proud of you!!!!!  I knew you could do it!!!  i love the hissy fit, that is Classic!!!  YOU ARE SOOOOO AQUAGIRL!!!!!  and bike girl and runner girl!!!!

2009-08-25 7:23 AM

That was great! Once again it was a pleasure meeting you. Great race ya done too

2009-08-25 7:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-25 7:44 AM

Master
White Plains NY
great job! The heat and sun totally killed me out towards the turnaround on the run on that open section near the bike course.
2009-08-25 8:17 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Congratulations, Helen ... you are now a Half Iron Woman!  Excellent triathlon ... regardless of the hissy diva fit ...

2009-08-25 8:21 AM

Elite
Renton, Washington

Great race Helen. You might have started a pre warm up trend by the way

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed  

of 2