General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coaches......do YOU have one? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2372774

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: coaches......do YOU have one?
I have had a coach last 5 years. I like that someone else puts together my training plan around my schedule and takes care of all details. I think following a plan that a coach puts together helps me maximize my training time to get the most out of me as I can.

Last fall I decide to leave my coach of 4 years and try it on my own. After 3-4 months my husband was strongly suggesting I get a coach. I like having structure and following it is mentally easier for me.

I'm not fast but I do think having coaches has helped me do the best I can for me given my natural abilities. I love having someone to bounce ideas off of. For IM having a very specific race plan helps me stay focus and just follow the plan without second guessing. It makes it easier to execute.

Of the money I spend in triathlons I think coaching is one of the best investments.

2009-08-27 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
LaurenCO - 2009-08-26 5:43 PM

When I think of someone having a coach, I naturally imagine they are FOPers, national level competitors etc.

However, here and irl, I've noticed more and more "normal", "average" (I know, these words don't mean much) triathletes getting coaches. I've even seen someone get a coach to train them to finish a triathlon, not even to improve or be more competitive.

So, is a coach the newsest "thing" and does everyone have but me?

I had a coach in 2007... for my first HIM.

I had a coach in 2008... for my first IM. Especially for the IM, I wanted to have peace of mind that I was doing the proper training to get me across the finish line. Too much was invested not to.

For 2009 I have ditched the coach. I bought Training Plans for Multisport Athletes and have been using a HIM plan out of there.

My first sprint this season I PR'ed big time and almost placed in my AG. Went from 10th in my AG... to 4th.

While having a coach is nice, I also like having $110 extra each month to spend on other stuff.

2009-08-27 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I am a solid MOP'er, maybe front of middle of the pack now... and I have a coach. When I started with her, I was solid BOP'er. I have learned so much from her- having a coach has been invaluable!

I initially went with a coach to train for a HIM without getting injured. I kept up with her because I found that:

1. I was able to train and train and train and not get injured.
2. I was getting faster at all 3 sports
3. I learned a lot about technique from her.
4. I loved the comraderie of being on her "team" of athletes.
5. I really love not having to plan my training. I tell her what races I want to do and she gets me ready for them. All I have to do is follow her plan. Easy peezie!
6. I think her cost is really reasonable. It's less than hiring a personal trainer at the gym... (at least at my gym!)

I'm taking a break over the offseason with her because we are adopting and I won't be working for 3 months... but as soon as I am back to work, I am starting back up wtih her. I will need her service more as a new mom than ever before because she will plan my workouts to get the biggest benefit with the time I have available.

2009-08-27 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
I have a personal trainer at the gym.  I live in a low COL area so he's not very expensive but I love having him because it takes all of the stress out of my lifting routines, which is an area where I have honestly zero self-coaching interest.

I am considering hiring a temporary cycling coach because I am much weaker in that area compared to my swimming and running.

While I like to figure things out on my own to a degree, I do not like to spin my wheels (no pun intended).  A coach can significantly speed up making the leap between where I'm failing and where I want to be so I think it's worth it.
2009-08-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2372806

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
ultrahip_00 - 2009-08-26 6:10 PM

i worked with one for 18 weeks, thorugh two half ironmans.  i think it helped a lot, but it took a lot of the fun out of it for me.  having to workout every morning and evening, and feeling guilty if something got in the way or if i just didn't want to go ride or whatever wasn't fun for me. . i think the benefits were huge, but i don't think we had the communication i was hoping for.  again, all coaches will be different.

BINGO!!!!

Having a coach wasn't fun. Effective, but not fun.

I like being guilt free... and oddly enough I have found that if I have a training plan, I can stick to it without a coach telling me to. I can also rearrange it to fit my life. My training plan revolves around my life... I don't revolve around it.

2009-08-27 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I have group coaches.

I swim with a masters swim team. We have 3 coaches on deck at all times.

There's a track coach hired by the Cycling Association of Canada at the track. We pay him $150/year to get up to 4 hours (I can only make 2) coached sessions a week + Friday night races (with encouragement/help from the coach).

My road (bike) race team has a team manager who is also a coach. I ride with my team a lot. He also coaches individuals and does personal training for $75 (if you are on the team) to $150/month.

I have a lot of friends who are into racing and are coaches. One of my teammates is a dietician. So I have a lot of people that I can ask for advice anytime I want.

So I guess I'm kind of coached, kind of not. Cost is about $350/year.

2009-08-27 12:36 PM

I have tried 3 coaches and they all turned out to be dead weight......

first one was all about the money....and complete idiot.

second one was all about themselves and being a queen.......didnt click in personality..

the third one, i thought was going to be Dave Scott himself after i met him in person. i was willing to pay any amount of money to be coached by someone that was  the peak of the sport and understanding. it was going to be online. once i got online, it turned out to be a "bate and switch" and i was handed over to one of Dave Scott's "associates". the dude had NO reading comprehension and could not type a sentence to save his life. i therefore dropped the program and currently find coaches in triathlon a dime a dozen adn the "right one" is a needle in a haystack search i am not willing to take on anymore.........

whatever.......i train just to train anyway and as the someone else said, coaches tend to take the fun out of it for me anyway........

i am going for my 6th half ironman and it may very well be my slowest time of all time but you know what? i am going for my 6th half ironman.......:-)

craig002

2009-08-27 2:04 PM

Regular
It's my way of helping to stimulate the economy. Plus i prefer having someone tell me my workouts vs having to figure out what to do.
2009-08-27 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2372782

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-26 5:50 PM
LaurenCO - 2009-08-26 3:43 PM When I think of someone having a coach, I naturally imagine they are FOPers, national level competitors etc.

However, here and irl, I've noticed more and more "normal", "average" (I know, these words don't mean much) triathletes getting coaches. I've even seen someone get a coach to train them to finish a triathlon, not even to improve or be more competitive.

Getting a coach to "finish" a triathlon is a bit much. But, after a couple years in the sport, a lot of people are probably overwhelmed by all the information out there, and they want to do more than just "finish", so they get a coach to help them work things out.

Others just have no desire to figure out every day "What should I do now"? and figure they'll pay a coach.

Plus, a lot of people hit a wall, want to do better, but just aren't sure how to structure/balance their various workouts to get the best results.

I think everyone should work with a coach for a bit once they know they are going to do tri's for more than a year or two. Oh, did I mention that I coach? :D

And no, I don't have one, but I am considering getting one. It's hard to write your own workouts, it's much easier to prescribe pain for someone else

John

Oooo...GREAT post.  I have a coach and almost every one of those reasons has applied at some point for me.

Someday I dream to have enough knowledge to self-coach at least for a few years.  But I think having a coach is something I will likely keep doing over the years.
2009-08-27 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2374632

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
jldicarlo - 2009-08-27 12:06 PM
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-26 5:50 PM
LaurenCO - 2009-08-26 3:43 PM When I think of someone having a coach, I naturally imagine they are FOPers, national level competitors etc.

Getting a coach to "finish" a triathlon is a bit much. But, after a couple years in the sport, a lot of people are probably overwhelmed by all the information out there, and they want to do more than just "finish", so they get a coach to help them work things out.

Others just have no desire to figure out every day "What should I do now"? and figure they'll pay a coach.

Plus, a lot of people hit a wall, want to do better, but just aren't sure how to structure/balance their various workouts to get the best results.

I think everyone should work with a coach for a bit once they know they are going to do tri's for more than a year or two. Oh, did I mention that I coach? :D

And no, I don't have one, but I am considering getting one. It's hard to write your own workouts, it's much easier to prescribe pain for someone else

John

Oooo...GREAT post.  I have a coach and almost every one of those reasons has applied at some point for me.

Someday I dream to have enough knowledge to self-coach at least for a few years.  But I think having a coach is something I will likely keep doing over the years.

Thanks!

One thing I did forget in this, is that a good coach is one that is working to put him/herself out of business (At least in my estimation). You should not only get WHAT to do, but WHY to do it. They should be able to explain what a threshold workout is compared to an interval session, and why each of them are important, things of that nature.

There should be a communication of knowledge, so that after a while if you wanted to try coaching yourself, you at least have the tools to do it. All my best coaches have not only been able to structure workouts, etc. but they also communicated the knowledge behind the sport itself.

John
2009-08-27 2:19 PM

User image

I had a coach and I have found, like some others, that I enjoy the sport a lot more when I can do what I want. And since doing what I want makes me more consistent, I've gotten a lot faster on my own. So I am going solo from now on.

2009-08-27 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I haven't had a coach since my Cross Country senior year in high school - MANY moons ago.
2009-08-27 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
I have done group coaching in the past, but never liked it...never felt like the coach cared about my training and just wanted the $.
Now, i have another coach.  I love having a coach.  Not only does she make my training plans, works with me with my nutrition (not only race nutrition, but every day stuff...she is a sports nutritionist as well), she is upbeat, positive, helps me stay injury free (had herniated disks before starting with her, so she plans my training with that in mind) She moves my schedule around to fit my lifestyle..including adding workout that my tri club has, so I can workuot with everyone.  I can't say enough about my caoch!  Oh, and I recently PR'd at my last race.
I am all for coaches!  Just find the right one
2009-08-27 2:37 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Nope.  Probably will look into swim coaching at some point but for me, I enjoy trying new things and challenges and see training as a process to learn more about myself, what works, etc.  As stated before, it would be a lot tougher without BT as there is tons of info to chop through and sift out the good from the bunk.  When you get down to it, the basic principles of the sport are pretty simple IMO and if you can apply them then you off to a great start. 

2009-08-27 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
No coach.  I've thought about it though.  If I felt like I had someone to answer to that I respected then it would probably get rid of alot of the bad habits I already know that I have, but don't feel obliged to get rid of on my own.  I also like doing whatever I want and feel like I'm motivated enough to make some gains on my own and complete an entire year by myself before getting a coach.  So, this January I may look into it again once I have one year of solid base in me...
2009-08-27 2:56 PM

User image

New user

Hamburg, Germany
I just listen to my body, and coach myself....
In my eyes the best way to become faster!

Best wishes,

Timo

2009-08-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2372787

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
ChrisM - 2009-08-26 5:53 PM I was a MOPer for four seasons, hired a coach for this season to see if I could improve my run.  Although my run got faster, I found I didn't enjoy the training as much because I would never be onthe same cycle as my training partners, and my volume went way down.  I'd haveto turn around 1.5 hours into the ride while they went "long."  Found that enjoying training and racing was more important than having a coach, for me. 

I had almost the exact same experience. All of my friends were riding on Saturdays, but my plan had me riding (alone ) on Sundays...

It was lonely and expensive and I didn't improve as much as I wanted to... despite executing all of the workouts as described, and reporting back buckets of data.
2009-08-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2374808

User image

Master
PA
Whizzzzz - 2009-08-27 4:01 PM
ChrisM - 2009-08-26 5:53 PM I was a MOPer for four seasons, hired a coach for this season to see if I could improve my run.  Although my run got faster, I found I didn't enjoy the training as much because I would never be onthe same cycle as my training partners, and my volume went way down.  I'd haveto turn around 1.5 hours into the ride while they went "long."  Found that enjoying training and racing was more important than having a coach, for me. 

I had almost the exact same experience. All of my friends were riding on Saturdays, but my plan had me riding (alone ) on Sundays...

It was lonely and expensive and I didn't improve as much as I wanted to... despite executing all of the workouts as described, and reporting back buckets of data.

I would give up coaching too if that was the situation.  If you're going to pay for coaching, I guess it speaks to the importance of finding a coach you are on the same page with for that kind of stuff.  Like for me, my weekly feedback chart I fill out I would have written all that stuff in.  "I'd like to do a group long ride on Sat, i think they're going 75 miles, or I'd like to ride with the group that kicks my on Tues night, etc."  If there are a few group sessions I definitely want, I speak up.  And most of the time it's doable.  And the rest gets scheduled around those.  I have a coach who get my goals are to have fun.  And when I'm not I tell him and we figure out what we can change and what I need to suck up.  

2009-08-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2375084

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
gopennstate - 2009-08-27 5:59 PM
Whizzzzz - 2009-08-27 4:01 PM

I would give up coaching too if that was the situation.  If you're going to pay for coaching, I guess it speaks to the importance of finding a coach you are on the same page with for that kind of stuff.  Like for me, my weekly feedback chart I fill out I would have written all that stuff in.  "I'd like to do a group long ride on Sat, i think they're going 75 miles, or I'd like to ride with the group that kicks my on Tues night, etc."  If there are a few group sessions I definitely want, I speak up.  And most of the time it's doable.  And the rest gets scheduled around those.  I have a coach who get my goals are to have fun.  And when I'm not I tell him and we figure out what we can change and what I need to suck up.  

I was going to say the excact same thing.  Your coach should accomadate your needs and desires of your training.  I want to ride with my group on Saturdays, so she has me always scheduled for that, unless I say otherwise.  Same for my Monday night ocean swims.  The way I look at it, is I am paying X amount for my coach, and I should have a say in how/with who I train,..it is her job to fit it in her training plans for me. Also, when i go away (Like LAbor day weekend for a wedding) I tell her what I will have available for training and she makes up a schedule that will fit my travel plans and not comprimise my training or the wedding.

You gotta speak up.
2009-08-27 6:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
Yes, I have one. I'm MOP if I'm lucky But I was looking to do a somewhat aggressive race schedule this year, including my first IM, and wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing it up. For me, having expert guidance along the way was what I needed to be confident I could accomplish my goals this year. So far, so good, still 12 weeks to my full but along the way I've picked up a 10 minute 1/2 marathon PR and a 20 minute 1/2 Iron PR, not to mention improved my skills and speed in all 3 sports.
2009-08-27 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
Whizzzzz - 2009-08-27 1:01 PM

I guess I'm lucky all my friends shifted their schedules to do whatever I'm doing when it comes to long group rides! They aren't training for anything in particular, just out for fun, so they come along for whatever I'm assigned to do.

2009-08-27 6:51 PM

User image

Whizzzzz - 2009-08-27 1:01 PM

I think you even PM'd me warning of that as well...  You were psychic

I think I improved like I thought I would.  I just wasn't all that happy.  And if you're not happy, what's the point?  Ironically, right before I got sick we reached a deal where I could ride as long as I wanted on Saturdays...  Interesting to see if that would have worked.  I also came to the realization that this was an already expensive hobby, and I really didn't need to spend $___ per month to knock 20 minutes off my HIM time. 
2009-08-27 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Good thread. I was wondering about this. I'm a BOPer and was thinking about getting one to get me get closer to MOP but I think I will do some individual classes like Chi-Running and Total Immersion swimming and perhaps a tri boot camp next spring instead. It seems finding the right coach is hard.
2009-08-27 7:31 PM

User image

Master
I haven't used a coach yet, but have been thinking about it.
My schedule is fairly hectic, and I need someone who can adapt. Unfortunately, I think that type of coach might be hard to find.
2009-08-27 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
I have a coach and I coach.  I found value in a coach before I started coaching, once I realized I also needed to tell him what I needed and wanted, etc.   At first I thought I had to everything on certain days, no matter what etc.  Sometimes I did, but sometimes I didnt, and unless I asked, or said Id like to do this on this day every week, etc, I wasnt going to get the experience I wanted.

I love reading all the responses to hear what people like/dont like.  I also learned what I liked/didnt like in having a coach also, and I really have been appalled at the amount of coaches out there that Ive heard from some of my clients who previously had coaches, or help, and they didnt get anything out of it.   Some told me they never had anyone explain anything to them, or when giving a swim lesson, even demonstrate or get in the water, or show them what they wanted them to do.  Just talked and gathered the money.   I was appalled.  I keep all this in mind with my clients that is for sure.  Im pretty invested in them week to week and open communication.  I dont think theres any other way to go, so that would be my suggestion to anyone looking for a coach.  Make sure your clear on how much communication and help you are going to get.  Hopefully they have some recommendations also

Edited by kellc09 2009-08-27 7:56 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » coaches......do YOU have one? Rss Feed  

of 3