General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishing Medals..Rally up? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2005-05-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #161114

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Finishing Medals..Rally up?

I am looking into the finishers mugs (prices, delivery time, etc) as a racer I always look for stuff I will be able to use and that sounds like a good idea.

What do you guys think of giving race belts, 24oz. bike water bottles and/or coolmax socks instead of a regular cotton T-shirt. (I personally not a big fan of cheap T-shirts either) We were considering nice fabric training shirts; however most of the quotes I received are too expensive for our budget. (As a new race is been hard to get a lot of sponsor support) We are trying to cope a well organize and safe race with good prices, a goodie bag with handy items (not a bag full with flyers and other crap) a few free talks by PT for injuries prevention and USAT coach for training ideas and a post race party.

2005-05-23 12:58 PM
in reply to: #161855

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I like to do triathlons to see cute, fit guys in tight outfits conveniently sorted by age group!

Jes kiddin, but it is a nice benefit, eh?

AB
2005-05-23 1:12 PM

Elite Veteran
Amiine, if you are going to market to a lot of people new to triathlon, I think you need to give them a T-shirt. Yes, one of the crappy ones we have too much of. If this is their first tri, they're going to want to wear it to the gym post-race.

With respect to finisher medals, they aren't too common around here. I only have two of them and they hang by a hook in my closet. When I see them, they remind me of how much fun I had at those particular races. Nothing more.
2005-05-23 1:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by adverbia 2005-05-23 1:26 PM
2005-05-23 1:24 PM

2005-05-23 1:32 PM

Kodiak, Alaska
For those of you at a loss for what to do with your finisher medals...donate them to a Kindergarten class in your area...they would probably LOVE them!

2005-05-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: #161225

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Oh, you always make me laugh bear!!! Out loud. at work. in my cube. (!!!) Always.

For the record, I don't need a medal... I think the shirt is enough. I'd prefer a shirt to a medal. I never actually WEAR the medal, and they all look alike.

Pride and Joy.... Snicker snicker snicker... Still laughing here...

Whizzzz

2005-05-23 2:52 PM

Regular
In the Country Virginia
I have not done my first tri yet (hopefully in Sept if my knee heals) however I have played competitive sports my whole life. I would never want a trophy for jut participating in a sport. I have many championship and mvp trophies from baseball. They sit in a box in the basement (although it was cool when my little girl saw them and said "daddy I didnt know you were that good at baseball"). We never got trophies unless you won it all. I dont know what I would do with a medal. I am more for the t-shirt or the waterbottle...They are actually usefull. I dont know maybe I will change my mind if I ever get to actually do a tri.
2005-05-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #161286

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
That's a GREAT idea!!!!!!!!!!!  
2005-05-23 3:00 PM
in reply to: #161857

Regular
Kirkland, WA
amiine - 2005-05-23 9:58 AM

What do you guys think of giving race belts, 24oz. bike water bottles and/or coolmax socks instead of a regular cotton T-shirt. (I personally not a big fan of cheap T-shirts either).

We got race belts after one race, and they were completely useless -- no one could get the snaps apart. If you do something like that, just make sure it's actually useful. And I like the "trinket" (whether it be the mug or belt or t-shirt) to have something about the race printed on it, like maybe your logo or the race distance or something. I vote for the mug, that would be fun.
2005-05-23 3:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
ma

Actually...Pride and Joy products would be great sponsors. Indeed, perfect branding. After reading Whizz's entry, I thought "hmm...was Bear insulting me, or just having some fun?". Whizz, your snickers spoke volumes, possibly on Bear's behalf.

Someone mentioned the bib's being cool. I thought about that one, and indeed, they do have similar charm, don't they? Yep, I think I can go on without medals, especially if it upsets so many, and sheds such a grim outlook for others. Yep, I still think they are fun, and mine don't collect dust. (Triple Threat....I promise I train for me, not the medals, lol)

My thread was posted with no intent of starting a big hoopla. Just having a light chat about fun aspects at the races.

2005-05-23 4:08 PM
in reply to: #161998

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
nikki - 2005-05-23 2:38 PM

Actually...Pride and Joy products would be great sponsors. Indeed, perfect branding. After reading Whizz's entry, I thought "hmm...was Bear insulting me, or just having some fun?". Whizz, your snickers spoke volumes, possibly on Bear's behalf.

Yeah, that Pride and Joy gag's an old one, dates back to Henny Youngman, DeNiro used it in Taxi Driver, I believe. Not an insult, just poking a little fun at your expense. Glad someone got it, glad to make you snicker, Whiz!

2005-05-23 4:24 PM

Champion
Wisconsin
how bout this? first timers get medals. then everyone knows they are a newbie and can give 'em the good love, and the newbie feels liek a star.

everyone else gets:
" race belts, 24oz. bike water bottles and/or coolmax socks instead of a regular cotton T-shirt.."

there, that was easy.
2005-05-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: #162019

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Always, bear... You crack me up. I can't respond every time I laugh... I'd never get anything accomplished at work.
2005-05-23 5:31 PM
in reply to: #161557

Regular
New New York

Redhead - 2005-05-23 12:58 AM TripleThreat, how many people sign up for these races? The Danskin here caps out at 4000+! How many of those people are going to place?

I think it's safe to say that at least 3950 are there just for personal accomplishment!

Exactly, personal accomplishment has nothing to do with a medal.

Those people (myself very much included) are not athletes...

I would argue that they are athletes. Maybe not super fit, hard core athletes but athletes none the less.

Though it's already been said many times that it's not necessary, we would all do it anyway, it's just nice to have something physical to look at while we go on to train for the next one.

How about the mirror? That would inspire me more than a medal.

We're not celebrating mediocrity, we're celebrating a huge personal accomplishment.

Giving a medal to everyone just for showing up is celebrating mediocrity. It's all part of the 'Everyone is a winner!' culture.

The fact that you think everyone who isn't out to win is mediocre means you don't understand why the rest of us are here. Next time you take up something totally new and then perform in front of thousands, tell me you don't want something to remember it by.

The memory is enough for me. 

2005-05-23 5:52 PM

Elite Veteran
People who complete a mere sprint distance triathlon are mediocre athletes? I beg to differ. I know we have IM, 1/2IM, and OD triathletes on this board. Congratulations. I know that it took a lot of your hard work to get to the starting line, let alone finishing your events.

A sprint tri is no small accomplishment either. Sure the pain and suffering is shorter, but I think very few people can roll out of bed sans training and hammer a sprint tri. Those who can are labelled 'athletically gifted' for a reason.

We're discussing a finisher's trinket, not an Everybody is a Winner mentality. If you complete a tri, you're a winner. If you get a medal, good for you. If you don't want it, I love the idea upthread to give it to a Kindergarten teacher for his/her use. That is a fantastic idea.

2005-05-23 7:10 PM
in reply to: #162097

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

I think all you NON-MEDAL people are just talk.

You say it is "collecting dust" or "hanging in the closet", it must mean something or it would have been thrown out along time ago.

And guess what, there is not one, not even one, IRONMAN finishers medal on ebay, nor even a triathlon medal listed, but there are plenty of cheesy finisher shirts listed.  

HMMMMM...........

2005-05-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: #162140

Regular
New New York

I think all you NON-MEDAL people are just talk.

Why do you find it hard to believe?

You say it is "collecting dust" or "hanging in the closet", it must mean something or it would have been thrown out along time ago.

I'm a pack rat, I can't bring myself to throw anything away. Anybody want a finisher's medal? I saw in someone's Columbia RR they didn't get a medal, do you want one of my Columbia medals (seriously)?

And guess what, there is not one, not even one, IRONMAN finishers medal on ebay, nor even a triathlon medal listed, but there are plenty of cheesy finisher shirts listed.  

I've seen IM finisher's medals on Ebay, even Kona medals. Most likely they are medals that were snagged by volunteers, not medals that were 'earned'. I bought an IM Wisc.shirt on Ebay, I wanted a cool looking, dark colored shirt to wear to work. Nobody there knows what an IM is anyway.

2005-05-23 8:16 PM
in reply to: #161557

Expert
NC Illinois
When was the last time you did something so totally out of your comfort zone that you shocked even your family? My Dad said (about me and triathlons), "She's the last one I expected to do something like that!" That should give you an idea about what a life change it was for me. I sure don't mind a few pats on the back to keep me going. I did three sprints last summer, three more scheduled this summer, Oly's next summer.

That is exactly my point. You accomplished something that neither you nor your family thought you could-would do. Isn't the memory the reward? Shocking yourself should be a continual part of life. Don't get me wrong, everyone enjoys a few pats on the fanny. But the "back pats" should be kept in perspective.

Do something out of my comfort zone? All my life. As for my family being impressed with doing an Ironman? They really could not care less [seriously]. They are more concerned with how I am as a husband, father, teacher, coach, etc. Really I could say tomorrow "I am not going to do an Ironman" and they probably would not even blink. I wake up and train at 4Am so my daily schedule doesn't get disrupted. There are lots of different ways that I could get exercise ... basketball, baseball, strength training. IM is just something I thought would be pretty cool to do. I'm actually surprised when someone else is halfway interested in it.

On a serious note, I worked my way up from lower-level college baseball to a higher level team by beating teams I should not have. I don't have any medals from those games, and I certainly don't have a "I beat the #11 team in the nation t-shirt" that i wear around for everyone to read. What I do have is memories, confidence, and pride. Confidence to know that when faced with an adverse relationship, with others counting on me ... I can come through and succeed. I know this because I have done it before.

I see way too many people that are dependent on others or possessions for their self-esteem and pride. I want everyone to experience what it is like to just being content with "knowing what you can do" whether others recognize it or not. It's not that big of a deal but it makes all the difference in the world.
2005-05-23 8:30 PM

2005-05-23 9:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

Well I like medals. Shirts I find next to useless unless they are made of Coolmax. I don't wear cotton when I work out because it holds in the sweat and sticks to my skin.

I also love how people who don't care for medals jump to the conclusion that those of us who do are materialistic. To each his own, but I don't judge someone for preferring a shirt.

When you've gone from a perfectly sedentary life and morbid obesity to being an athlete, maybe you'll appreciate how much those trinkets can mean. Some of us never competed in a sport before and don't have walls of trophies. To be able to look at my medal and say "Yeah Tory, YOU did that" makes me happy. Do I feel pride without it? Sure I do, but I also like the feeling of having it placed around my neck and having someone tell me "Great job!"

Medals are actually cheaper than shirts. I bought one last year for my husband and carried it in my first triathlon, presenting in to him when I crossed the finish line. He was my supporter, best friend, training partner, and coach throughout and he deserved a medal as much as I did. I like the idea, if you don't want the medal, of giving it to a course supporter or a loved one.

2005-05-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: #161527

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

TripleThreat - 2005-05-22 8:05 PM Finishing medals? Seriously, is there a more insecure (needing approval from others) and conforming (i.e., doing everything possible to look like everyone else) bunch than triathletes? Isn't the accomplishment enough? Do we (those that do triathlons) really need a trinket and ribbon to feel worthwhile? Do triathletes really need a race official or a trinket to valiudate the performance they just accomplished? Isn't the achievement enough? I have said before that I have played organized sports my whole life. I've been on many 1st place teams and some real stinkers. Giving me a medal for being on the stinker teams (even though we played every game with sportsmanship and tried our best) would be a slap ion the face. patronizing. A backhanded compliment.

So basically what you're saying is that those of us who compete in triathlons, but don't win, are mediocre and don't deserve to feel pride in our accomplishments? Neat. Thanks for that. Not that anything someone like you would say would make me feel bad about myself, but this comment has to rank right up there with the thread last year from the guy who didn't understand why you wouldn't do a triathlon if you couldn't place.

I'm glad that you had a lifetime of sports achievements. I didn't. I never played on a single team. I didn't have the talent or the opportunity to do so. I guess that makes me undeserving of anything demonstrating my personal accomplishments. Do I "need" a medal? No. Do I like them? Yes. Does that make me some mamby pamby conformist? Not in the least.

People like you who think that only the strongest and fastest should get recognition are why "athletes" are portrayed as insensitive and egotistical. Every single person on this list deserves to have credit given to them whether they came in first, last, or somewhere in between. A few weeks ago I ran a 5k and I stayed and cheered the very last person who came in almost an hour after the start. That lady deserved a medal not because she was great, but because she got up that morning and she did it! I'd hate to think that her sense of personal accomplishment would be degraded by someone who finished at the beginning telling her she wasn't "good enough" and didn't have a right to celebrate her accomplishment.

Edited by teechur 2005-05-23 9:09 PM
2005-05-23 9:57 PM
in reply to: #162194

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
teechur - 2005-05-23 8:00 PM

Well I like medals. Shirts I find next to useless unless they are made of Coolmax. I don't wear cotton when I work out because it holds in the sweat and sticks to my skin.

I also love how people who don't care for medals jump to the conclusion that those of us who do are materialistic. To each his own, but I don't judge someone for preferring a shirt.

When you've gone from a perfectly sedentary life and morbid obesity to being an athlete, maybe you'll appreciate how much those trinkets can mean. Some of us never competed in a sport before and don't have walls of trophies. To be able to look at my medal and say "Yeah Tory, YOU did that" makes me happy. Do I feel pride without it? Sure I do, but I also like the feeling of having it placed around my neck and having someone tell me "Great job!"

Medals are actually cheaper than shirts. I bought one last year for my husband and carried it in my first triathlon, presenting in to him when I crossed the finish line. He was my supporter, best friend, training partner, and coach throughout and he deserved a medal as much as I did. I like the idea, if you don't want the medal, of giving it to a course supporter or a loved one.

Well put.

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
oops

Edited by H13 2005-05-23 10:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
dupe post

Edited by H13 2005-05-23 9:58 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishing Medals..Rally up? Rss Feed  

of 4