Offnrunning
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 26/189
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5, showered, shaved (my face). Did good job packing last night, so only 3 things on the to-do list that I knocked out quick. Ate 2 slices of Peanut Butter toast and washed down with gatorade. One hour drive to the race site - during the drive I drank about 16 oz of a smoothie Denise made. These things are amazing in their hydration effects, along with giving you a little bit of natural sugars.

Did the usual once we got there. Bodymarking (#13 Woo Hoo!!!), Chip, T-area.
Event warmup:

10 min bike to start the blood flowing. Then about 200y in the pool
Swim
  • 07m 26s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Raspberry Hammer Gel 15 mins before swim.

Thought the water would be much much colder. It was a very comfortable 74 degrees. Passed 1 on the swim, though my time was awful slow!!! This swim is just so damn short too. I think I have my best performances on slightly longer distances.

Happy I submitted a very low swim time. Passing with this type of course setup is difficult.

Felt like my Desoto tri top slowed me down a bit. Its got these two pockets running up each side. Not sure if they caught any water and screwed up my glide or not, but I was unhappy with how I felt in the water. Finished 2nd in age group and 14th overall, so I think I seeded myself pretty good.

Huge mental issues about 200y in. I actually thought to myself...why am I doing this...this sucks. I couldn't freaking believe it!!! In the middle of my fav event, I'm thinking this kind of trash. Anyway...time was respectable overall and within my AG. Everyone's out there doing their flip turns and there's me open turning and cranking it out.
What would you do differently?:

Wow the ladies and lose the top.

Get my head in the game. Negative thoughts suck.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

The run from the pool to the transition area was INSANE. We went from the concrete pool to some half seeded grass/mud mixture, to a sharp stone path, to a sloped grass hill to the asphalt where the t-area was on. In bare feet. Had to run from the pool and around the entire T-area to get in the back of the t-area and then run to the front where my bike was. Wasn't real crazy about the setup. Its fair to those in the back of the t-area, but somehow they shoudl be able to lay this out a little better.

I did ok...took my time. Could have shaved maybe 15 sec off my time, but I'm not gonna sweat it right now. Got on bike without any issues (like St.A).

Move my ass a little faster. Get a pair of true tri shoes that I can go without socks.
Bike
  • 40m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't care what my time says...I'm happy with my performance on the bike. In all my tris so far this year (which isn't as many as some of these veterans), I do well enough on the swim or am going off in a early wave where there's no one out in front of me only to get passed by a buttload of people on the bike leg. Today, I pass 4 and got passed by 4. Extremely happy. Cranked it in the hills, pushed real hard on the flats.

Gelled with about 3 miles to go (Gu plain flavor). Washed down with gatorade. Taped it to the frame until Sharon harrasses me more about getting a bento box) :)

Keep the bike focus on hills, and continue to work on endurance.

Consider investing in a tri specific bike instead of road bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Again...took a more laid back approach in t-area since the last couple of tris I've pegged my HR running around or nearly slipped and killed myself in my cleats. Smooth transition. No issues.

Nothing....continue to build confidence in transitions before starting to push for more speed
Run
  • 37m 9s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Very nervous about this leg of the race (knee). Had no issues down there. Its tender right now, but no pain. Still disappointed in not improving faster and able to crank it out on the run. I want to be running 7:15's and 7:30's at this stage of the game. Its not coming along as fast as I want it to. Did 0 passing on the run, got passed by about 5 people.

It rained like hell yesterday, so one thirty foot section of the course was a 6 inch deep mud pit. You'd have laughed to see me high stepping to get through it relatively unscathed. The legs were complaining the last mile, but I kept the heart rate high, but not so high that I died and had to walk.

The race was in Tanglewood Park...known for their golf course and horse farms. There was a portion of the run where I came out of the woods and bam...there's a pasture that has about 9 horses in it. Not your little farm ponies here...these babies could run. And run they did...it was almost like they were playing a little chase game...they'd gallop to one end of the pasture at a good clip, then when the lead horse got there, they'd all stop...almost on cue. Then the last horse would bolt in a different direction and all the rest of them would follow the new lead horse. I don't tend to get into the mamby pamby stuff, but this was just freaking cool seeing these guys and gals turn on some speed. Was also good motivation...started thinking that old TTB adage...Think like a bee, Train like a horse.

1) Start building distance on the run...which really means..commit myself to running a marathon in Sept/Oct time frame and build the marathon training in with my tri training plan.
2) Be fierce off the bike...Get more bricks into the workout....train in the am or pm when I have adequate time to do a real brick instead of the 40-50 mins I have at lunch time.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some liquids until HR and body normalized. Post race massage was incredible!!! Had a guy for the massage - he ran track in HS... he ran a freaking 45.2 sec 400m!!! Damn!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run sucks plain and simple. Gotta get better in it.
Either lose 10 more lbs of weight, or get a bike that's lighter.

Event comments:

Race was pretty good. Here's the good...
1) If ever y'all want to see real race support, I'll put the men and women of North Carolina up against anyone anywhere. They brought in a church choir (from a Southern type Church where they know how to really sing some damn fine songs) and they cranked out a heart moving national anthem. I found myself singing the national anthem during the bike course it was so good. From the MOMENT that the volunteers caught sight of you, they were cheering, clapping, yelling, jumping.
2) While the course was not totally closed to traffic, the police support kicked ass. There was a point where I had to go into an oncoming traffic lane to go around the 5 cars the cops were holding. They'd got in driver's faces (I like to see that...they have my safety in mind) and put on their mean face, then turn with a great big smile to me and say..."turn right here".
3) Post race massage was the best massage I've ever had in my life. They had about 25 stations setup post race and even had 8 or so setup pre-race. This race had maybe 200 people in it and yet had more there than St. Anthony's did. Massage lasted at least 30 mins...he worked every single muscle in my body. They also had something called Active Release Technique. Sounds too much like a chiropracter (which I'm not too keen on, so I stayed away from that)
4) Well organized and run. Course marked well.
and here's the bad...
1) Took us about 30 volunteers before someone could tell us where the race finish was located at (finish was at a different spot-1/4 mile-than the start and t-area. They weren't given additional information that didn't pertain to the area they were assigned to. They did a good job in their own little areas, but take em outside the box and its hit or miss.
2) Music that was blasting was good...when it wasn't skipping. Every damn song it skipped. I can deal with this on a non-regular basis, but we're talking every single solitary freaking song.
3) Race finish was a freaking 1/4 mile from the start and that 1/4 mile was all steep uphill.

Last updated: 2005-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:26 | 400 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 14/189
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto tri top and bottom
Course: 400y pool swim, up and back in the same lane. Each athlete started on a 10 sec interval. Time includes a run that took us around the whole T-area.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:30 | 12 miles | 17.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 27/189
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills some huge ones. 12 mile loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:09 | 04.5 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 38/189
Performance: Below average
Course: Crazy ass course. 1/2 was on asphalt, other 1/2 was a mix of packed gravel horse trails, and dirt/mud trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Wake Forest Excellence Tri
Great race. Got to meet Wakeman (Mark) at the site, who also keyed me in on the areas to be wary of horse crap on the trails. Sorry that I missed Fred (fcarter398).  Pics are posted in photo album.

Edited by jkbostic 2005-05-22 7:57 AM

2005-05-22 8:21 AM
in reply to: #161189

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Wake Forest Excellence Tri

Jeff, man, you put in a very strong showing.  I was surprised about your swim time till I read your race report.  I've seen those tri suits with side pockets and rear pockets but never purchased one just for the reason you mentioned.  A pocket will cause drag in the water and will act like a parachute.  As you rolled from side to side during your stroke, I'm sure those things filled up with water and slowed you down.  You're way faster than me in the pool and I know you could swim 100's at a 1:30 pace in your sleep, especially in a pool. 

You simply nailed it on the bike-2nd AG?  Wow.  So, you hammered the bike but still had gas in the tank to spot a few 8:15 miles on the run.  Awesome. 

This is just a guess, but without that top, I bet you would have had a podium finish yesterday.  Thanks for the RR.  Very cool. 

2005-05-22 11:13 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Jeff you did awesome!    5th in AG?  NICE.  Congrats on a strong race!
2005-05-22 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job Jeff.  Sounds like you had fun.  SO glad you are happy with your bike etc.....I always seem to swim slower in races too...although you are quite fast anyway.  Take care and have a great day -SMO
2005-05-22 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
GREAT race Jeff!  Very strong in all 3 disciplines.  Loved the story about the horses...bet that was totally cool to see while you were running!
2005-05-22 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Sweet race!

There were no massages at the Tri in Galena. Hmmm...

There are lots of horses around here, so I know what an inspiring sight a herd can be when they all take off running together.

5th in your AG is just awesome too!

-Chris

2005-05-22 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Well, well!  Awesome race Jeff!!   Since when does watching horses run rank as mamby pamby??!!
2005-05-22 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Awesome race, Jeff!  As usual!

There were massage tables set up at my race today...only two of them, but they didn't look busy!  I should have gotten one.  The 2.5 hour ride back didn't feel so hot!  Next time, I'll follow Jeff's advice

2005-05-22 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great Race!!

You have times I dream about...but you did awesome and felt about how you did...especially on your Bike!

Terrific job...thanks for sharing!
2005-05-23 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Jeff, great race. You rocked all 3! Didn't that long run from the swim to T1 suck? Great time in the run! By the time I ran by the stables, the horses were asleep!!!!!!!

Was a pleasure to meet you and your family.

-Mark.

2005-05-23 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
way to go Jeff...stayed off the slippery bridges I see....lol....sounds like a really cool race with the national anthem and running with the horses.....GREAT RACE and as always colorful reporting....

2005-05-23 12:07 PM

, Alabama

Jeff, you were awesome.  I think the only thing that could've made you faster is a Bento box!!!  (How did the sunglasses go?)

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2005-05-23 12:07 PM
2005-05-23 1:44 PM

User image

Austin, Texas

Hey - I'm a WFU alumni (MBA 99).

Great race!

2005-05-23 2:54 PM

User image

Buttercup

Yo, Speedy Gonzalez! Negative thoughts do suck; I was fighting them yesterday on my run. Def  def definitely, WOW the ladies next time. Always go with WOW.

Was thinking of your lost sunnies and Sharon's advice when I bought my Bento box yesterday.

2005-05-25 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

NICE work, Buddy!

Yeah, what the freakin' hell happened on the swim?!  How about next time you seed yourself ACCORDINGLY.  Like, 1:20 avg.  1:50 is BS.  C'mon!  You're one my "A:" students.

I think you need to change your mindset a bit.  Maybe you are worried about being too fatigued coming out of the water?!  Dude, it's A) a sprint and B) you are a BAD ASS swimmer.  Better than me currently!  Note the word CURRENTLY.   Use the first few miles on the bike to catch your proverbial breath.  My .02 cents.

But Dude.  NO MORE 1:50 averages!!

"I want to be running 7:15's and 7:30's at this stage of the game." 

I just *love* your mindset.   Keep on shooting for the stars!!  And yeah, you need to start ramping up the run miles!  If you can log 30-40 miles a week and mix in some SERIOUS bricks ...you will be a stud for the run.

2005-05-26 8:53 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-05-27 7:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Great race Jeff - it is always fun to analyze what went right and what to change for next time, you did as good a job on that too!

Those negative thoughts are tough to shake once they take hold - good for you for putting them aside and carrying on. 

I had to smile at your "I don't tend to get into the mamby pamby stuff ...." about the horses... you gotta take inspiration where you find it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wake Forest Excellence Tri Rss Feed