General Discussion Triathlon Talk » (more on) genetics ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-23 2:32 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: (more on) genetics ?
I understand that most of us are nowhere near reaching the point where all that it is limiting us is genetics.

but...

I still think it plays a pretty big role, even at the much lower level most of us are competing at.

Assume that X and I are training for the same event. Assume (I know it's not realistic, but arguendo) that we train identically - same volume, same intensity.

Race day comes X kicks my butt... why? Because X is just a better athlete. X is genetically more gifted than me.

There are some people who barely train and BQ at their first marathon, and some who work really really hard (coughmecough ) and take a few marathons to do it.

So while I get that I am nowhere near where my genetics are a limiter, good genes help at any level.

2009-10-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2476325

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: (more on) genetics ?
Do a search, we have had a few very long threads on this topic recently.
2009-10-23 2:54 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I tend to agree.... I have a friend who came from a relatively un-athletic background, was basically a "party girl" in her college days, etc. She decided to run a marathon a couple years ago, and BQ'd in her first attempt. Did she train hard? Absolutely. She's continued training, and become an excellent runner and triathlete. I ran my first (and only so far) marathon the same year. I also trained hard, and came nowhere NEAR a BQ time. She definitely has more of a runner's build than me (she's petite, I'm tall and built kind of like a line-backer....), and I woud argure has better "genes" for running than I do. I would have to work d@mn hard to get as fast as my friend was off the couch....

2009-10-23 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2476401

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I get your drift, Trishie.  I think that's a fair assessment.  They definitely play in at any level.

2009-10-23 2:57 PM

User image

moron genetics.  Yup, that's me
2009-10-23 3:03 PM

User image

Runner

Here's my take:

We are all different.  Different genes, different life histories, etc.  Even if two people were genetically the same, trained exactly the same, but had different life histories, they STILL wouldn't have the same performance on race day.

So many factors go into your race performance, it's impossible to even really determine what they are, and how they affect each other.

So why worry about it?  Focus on the things you can control, namely your training, your diet, your race plan.  If someone trains less and finishes faster, good for him or her.  Train harder to beat that person, if that's a goal.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I think we tend to lose focus at times.

2009-10-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2476433

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Scout7 - 2009-10-23 4:03 PM

Here's my take:

We are all different.  Different genes, different life histories, etc.  Even if two people were genetically the same, trained exactly the same, but had different life histories, they STILL wouldn't have the same performance on race day.

So many factors go into your race performance, it's impossible to even really determine what they are, and how they affect each other.

So why worry about it?  Focus on the things you can control, namely your training, your diet, your race plan.  If someone trains less and finishes faster, good for him or her.  Train harder to beat that person, if that's a goal.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I think we tend to lose focus at times.

I totally agree, Scout. I may never be as fast as my BQ friend, but I've made great improvements, and I'm quite happy with that. My main competition in any of this is myself.....
2009-10-23 3:06 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
trishie - 2009-10-23 3:32 PM I understand that most of us are nowhere near reaching the point where all that it is limiting us is genetics.

but...

I still think it plays a pretty big role, even at the much lower level most of us are competing at.

Assume that X and I are training for the same event. Assume (I know it's not realistic, but arguendo) that we train identically - same volume, same intensity.

Race day comes X kicks my butt... why? Because X is just a better athlete. X is genetically more gifted than me.

There are some people who barely train and BQ at their first marathon, and some who work really really hard (coughmecough ) and take a few marathons to do it.

So while I get that I am nowhere near where my genetics are a limiter, good genes help at any level.

I don't buy it.  X isn't 'just a better athlete'.  There are no 'athlete' genes.  X has been working on their body composition and aerobic engine (knowingly or unknowingly) through diet, activity level and lifestyle for a long time (for years or decades). 

Each individual has to figure out how to enable their genes to express themselves in a manner that will allow the individual to tap into their athletic prowess.  How do you do this?  Training, nutrition, coaching, confidence building (the mind is a powerful thing - you must remove self-limiting doubt), consistency, hard work.  When you see a professional triathlete you're not looking at someone who just had 'good' genes.  You're looking at someone who has made tens of thousands of decisions over the course of their lifetime that has enabled them to get to where they are.  Some of those decisions were made with a conscious effort to improve themselves in their endeavor, while others were made for them while they were young (mom wouldn't let them skip swim practice, fed them good food, etc). 

As far as the self-limiting doubt goes.  IMO, that's the biggest hurdle that we have to overcome.  You may think that your athletic potential is limited because of certain aspects of you genetics.  I say, remove all thought that you're limited or bounded by anything and see what's possible!

Edited by dck4shrt 2009-10-23 3:09 PM
2009-10-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2476451

User image

Master
SMIBville
nm.

Edited by dck4shrt 2009-10-23 4:06 PM
2009-10-23 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
First, a quick anecdote: my sister, who hadn't run in her life and was 31 at the time (3 years removed from having her first kid, actually) spent 5 months ramping up for Boston and finished in 4:10...not a BQ time but being her first marathon and literally just doing 20 weeks to ramp up she was just 30 minutes off a qualifying pace. 

When I look at that, though, it just makes me work harder, plain and simple...I'm not a runner, wasn't made to be a runner and if we were living in the stone age I'd have been eaten by now.  I know that, but it doesn't bother me because my goals are personal, genetics be damned.

dck4shrt - 2009-10-23 3:06 PM

I don't buy it.  X isn't 'just a better athlete'.  There are no 'athlete' genes.  X has been working on their body composition and aerobic engine (knowingly or unknowingly) through diet, activity level and lifestyle for a long time (for years or decades). 

I completely disagree, and this isn't a cop out.  It's just a fact that there are certain body types, certain genetic predispositions, things that allow some people to hop off their couch and run a sub-20 min 5K while others spend years getting there.  I agree, the choices we make throughout life help dictate that, no doubt.  But didn't you ever have that friend in HS who ate everything--pizza, candy, all kinds of crap--and never gained an ounce?  That type of person, the ectomorph's, are the ones who have a genetic predisposition to running because there is considerably less body mass, less impact, etc. 

I agree that the pro's dedicate their life to the sport of endurance training and are therefore miles ahead of everyone else.  But when they were 14 years old, kicking the crap out of everyone else on their cross country, track and field or swim team, don't you think there's a little more than just 'eating right' to it? 

None of this is an excuse, because I hate excuses.   But it is a tried and true fact of nature, some people were born for this sort of thing.  That doesn't mean that your genetically average person can't get on the AG podium, but they'll certainly have a tougher time getting there and that's most likely their ceiling.
2009-10-23 4:52 PM

User image

Master
syracuse
trishie - 2009-10-23 3:32 PM I understand that most of us are nowhere near reaching the point where all that it is limiting us is genetics.

but...

there is something you are leaving out in all of this.

personally, I dont see how you can train at the same intensity as athlete X does with the mindset you have.  IMO, athlete X is "genetically" better than you because she thinks she can do anything.  She could very easily type the same exact thing you did, but she doesn't.  clearly "athlete x" is not the best triathlete in the world, right?  You think "athlete x" thinks about those that are more gifted than her?  she doesnt even contemplate it. 

you, apparantly, think you are not as good as "athlete x"  so, you'll never approach the intenstiy of those "genetically" better than you while training.  That thought alone, thinking you are not as good, has an effect on how you perform--day in and day out.

so, IMO, you would be better off convinced you are the best and you have the capability to do whatever you want.  And if you should happen to toe the line with "athlete x" and come up short, my bet is you beat some athletes who are, in fact, more gifted than you.  But, they don't believe it, and you end up kicking their a$$ in the process of getting your a$$ kicked by "athlete x."

And as they walk back to their car, they think, "That trishie is one gifted bi-atch........"

and I say bi-atch in good way.....

Edited by cusetri 2009-10-23 4:55 PM

2009-10-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2476628

User image

Master
SMIBville
Brownie28 - 2009-10-23 5:18 PM First, a quick anecdote: my sister, who hadn't run in her life and was 31 at the time (3 years removed from having her first kid, actually) spent 5 months ramping up for Boston and finished in 4:10...not a BQ time but being her first marathon and literally just doing 20 weeks to ramp up she was just 30 minutes off a qualifying pace. 

When I look at that, though, it just makes me work harder, plain and simple...I'm not a runner, wasn't made to be a runner and if we were living in the stone age I'd have been eaten by now.  I know that, but it doesn't bother me because my goals are personal, genetics be damned.

I completely disagree, and this isn't a cop out.  It's just a fact that there are certain body types, certain genetic predispositions, things that allow some people to hop off their couch and run a sub-20 min 5K while others spend years getting there.  I agree, the choices we make throughout life help dictate that, no doubt.  But didn't you ever have that friend in HS who ate everything--pizza, candy, all kinds of crap--and never gained an ounce?  That type of person, the ectomorph's, are the ones who have a genetic predisposition to running because there is considerably less body mass, less impact, etc. 

I agree that the pro's dedicate their life to the sport of endurance training and are therefore miles ahead of everyone else.  But when they were 14 years old, kicking the crap out of everyone else on their cross country, track and field or swim team, don't you think there's a little more than just 'eating right' to it? 

None of this is an excuse, because I hate excuses.   But it is a tried and true fact of nature, some people were born for this sort of thing.  That doesn't mean that your genetically average person can't get on the AG podium, but they'll certainly have a tougher time getting there and that's most likely their ceiling.

What's a ceiling?

I agree that there is tremendous variation amongst human body types but I don't agree that there is a genetic predisposition as you speak of that limits any of us.  We are not the result of a genetic predisposition.  We are the result of the expression of some of the tens of thousands of genes that are located on our chromosomes.   These genes can be turned on and off as you interact with your environment.   They serve every kind of purpose you can imagine (and then some).  The fact of the matter is that you can knowingly and unknowingly alter your gene expression through your actions in order to do things like change your body composition, change your metabolism, change your running speed, change your attitude, etc, etc.  Some people figure this out better/faster than others. 
2009-10-23 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2476707

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
dck4shrt - 2009-10-23 6:10 PM
I agree that there is tremendous variation amongst human body types but I don't agree that there is a genetic predisposition as you speak of that limits any of us.  We are not the result of a genetic predisposition.  We are the result of the expression of some of the tens of thousands of genes that are located on our chromosomes.   These genes can be turned on and off as you interact with your environment.   They serve every kind of purpose you can imagine (and then some).  The fact of the matter is that you can knowingly and unknowingly alter your gene expression through your actions in order to do things like change your body composition, change your metabolism, change your running speed, change your attitude, etc, etc.  Some people figure this out better/faster than others. 

I like the sound of this, but it strikes me as wishful thinking.  Can I change my height?

Certainly our minds are very powerful.  But they are still constrained by the bodies in which they are located.  Someone driving a Ferarri has an inherent advantage in a race against someone driving a Pinto, even if the driver of the Pinto has been practicing for much longer.
2009-10-23 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
As fun as the topic is... it is not particularly helpful.  We have the genes we have, it is how we wear them/what we do with them that makes it all fun.  If triathlon is a lifestyle and not just a race, then reaching as far as you can take your journey is where the gratification is.  If that happens to be 500th place in an IM or 1st place or last place, there you are.  If we did not think we could improve then why try to? 

Breath in, breath out, enjoy the ride.  Anything that you accomplish is better than not accomplishing anything.   
2009-10-23 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
trishie - 2009-10-23 1:32 PM
Because X is just a better athlete. X is genetically more gifted than me.

That's impossible to know unless you and X had exactly the same inputs your entire life. It could easily be that you are actually more "genetically gifted" for whatever sport to which you're refering but X just developed her physical/mental ability better over her lifetime.
2009-10-25 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
I know topic has been covered, but (again) we are not all the same.  Best available data (>100 scientific publications) suggest that genetics can play a HUGE role in athletic response to training in roughly 10% of the healthy/uninjured adult population.  With the same intense supervised (not just self-reported) training program, aerobic capacity (e.g. V02max) can be increased about 15-20% in about 80% of adults and a whopping 40-50+% in a lucky 5%.  There is an unlucky 5% who barely budge their V02max with training.  Variable response to strength training is somewhat similar, though the absolute changes are different (everyone raises strength somewhat with proper training).  Baseline aerobic capacity does NOT directly predict response to training. So some recreational athletes may well be genetically limited at a relatively low level of performance despite training their a$$ off.

Brief summary of perhaps largest ongoing work in this area can be found here-   http://www.pbrc.edu/Heritage/home.htm

NOT at all claiming that training is not important.  We can all work on technique. It's just that FOPers shouldn't feel too smug nor BOPers get too discouraged by their absolute performances. 

In the end all any of us can do is make the best of our own genetics.

Edited by Oldteen 2009-10-25 2:45 PM

2009-10-25 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Yep.  Genetics play a very significant role so choose your parents well.

There is a genetic "ceiling" (for lack of a better word) and as anyone of us improves our fitness, we will also begin to move up on a curve of diminishing returns that are impacted significantly by our genetics.

2009-10-25 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is the post where you can blame your mum and dad about stuff and not feel bad cause everyone else is thinking the same thing.
2009-10-26 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I like to compare this to the days of being a kid.  When you had field day.  All the kids go and run, jump and throw to see who will do what event.  Some run fast some throw far, some jump high or long.  And some are not athletic at all.  Fact is with little or no training some kids are just naturally athletic.  I could throw the ball far, but at 3ft nothing as a kid my jumping prowness was lacking.  As for running I was always MOP.  There were always kids that could run faster.  This had nothing to do with training as I played all the sports (soccer, baseball, hockey, lacrosse

I was in great shape, but I was not meant to run 5 minute miles.

Some people can some people can't this is called genetics.  I don't buy that with the right training anyone can do it.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.  At the top of my game, being above ave in all the sports makes me competitive.  Triathlon takes a healthy dose of brawn and brains (strategy).  Strategy plays a huge roll in triathlon and makes a huge impact in success.  It's not all physical.

2009-10-26 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

but...

Each individual has to figure out how to enable their genes to express themselves in a manner that will allow the individual to tap into their athletic prowess.  How do you do this?  Training, nutrition, coaching, confidence building (the mind is a powerful thing - you must remove self-limiting doubt), consistency, hard work.  When you see a professional triathlete you're not looking at someone who just had 'good' genes.  You're looking at someone who has made tens of thousands of decisions over the course of their lifetime that has enabled them to get to where they are.  Some of those decisions were made with a conscious effort to improve themselves in their endeavor, while others were made for them while they were young (mom wouldn't let them skip swim practice, fed them good food, etc). 

As far as the self-limiting doubt goes.  IMO, that's the biggest hurdle that we have to overcome.  You may think that your athletic potential is limited because of certain aspects of you genetics.  I say, remove all thought that you're limited or bounded by anything and see what's possible!

Explain why one 18 month old can jump and run and dance, and another struggles to walk.  Insufficient training?  Or a newborn who opens her eyes and lifts her head to look around only hours after birth, when a second baby is content to cuddle and has no desire to more around.  Unmotivated?

All that I am saying is that we are all born with natural abilities.  This predisposes us to excel in certain activities.

Can we get better at activities to which we are not predisposed?  Certainly.
Do the hardest workers usually win? Sure
Could I have played in the NBA? Nah!

Edited by pga_mike 2009-10-26 7:10 AM
2009-10-26 7:20 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Funny, my coach and I had a discussion about this topic with real life example. He had two women trained for same IM, both did almost exactly same training, one KQed and other was hour or two slower.  Both executed their plan well.

Why?

His take away was one had better physiology than the other. I see that another way to say genes make the difference.

I do agree with what Scout says though that background/life effects how your body reacts to training.

So identical twins who obviously have same genetic ceiling, but one was active her whole life other not. If they trained for same race with same training, I think we'd all agree the one who had been active would most likely do better.

2009-10-26 7:28 AM

User image

Runner

For those who want to view genetics as being the biggest factor here, what about epigenetics?  There's a growing body of research showing that the underlying genes may be pretty equivalent, but how those genes are expressed can be vastly different.  And on top of that, epigenetics can be changed as a person ages.

This is why life history places an important part of what you can currently do.  All those environmental factors can play a role, as can all the activities you undertook throughout your life.

Again, to me, it all goes back to what you can know and control.  I have no idea what my genetic potential is, and to be honest, I don't think I would want to know.

2009-10-26 7:56 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

Yes, genetics has a role in endurance sports.  But really, I just don't think about it.  We can all make great improvements from where we started.  Some will make faster/larger gains than others.  Maybe due to genetics, but also could be that some people train harder/smarter than others.   We can't do anything about my genetics...but we can focus on being a better athlete through smart training and nutrition.  Better to focus on that and not worry about what athletic genes our parents gave us. 

2009-10-26 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

Level of percieved effort.  I think alot of people just don't reach that limit, be it from injury preventing them or just being too scared or lazy to go all out.  Granted, with running this is a double edge sword, but many people do not come close to the level of effort they should be putting out.  

Lebron James, Micheal Phelps, Lance Armstrong - these are all genetics mutants built perfectly for their sport.  You don't want to use it as an excuse but in the same token, most of us weren't gifted with those abilities.

I'm not going to cry about it; all of us are gifted to the point we all own a computer and have a good quality of life.

2009-10-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2479137

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
KathyG - 2009-10-26 7:20 AM
Funny, my coach and I had a discussion about this topic with real life example. He had two women trained for same IM, both did almost exactly same training, one KQed and other was hour or two slower.

But in there training, was one consistantly faster than the other? I can do the exact same amoutn of "work" as someone else, but if I do that "work" at a much faster avregae pace, I'll finish ahead of them. I'm not sure genetics can be the culprit as there are so many variables to consider.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » (more on) genetics ? Rss Feed  

of 2