America Diabetes Association
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a 50-mile ride not race but I wanted to treat it like a training ride for my 1/2IM. It's best to start this report with what I didn't do. I didn't eat! And I didn't drink. I can't believe I didn't eat. I drove up to Loveland from work it took me 2:30 hours. I was pretty tired when I got to the hotel. Walked across the street to a Mexican restaurant. Had an enchilida. Couldn't eat more. But drank three glasses of water. That proved to be a harbinger of things to come. Woke up at 4 a.m. and got to the ride site at 5 a.m. Passed by by the Waffle House wanted to stop for breakfast ride didn't start until 6:30 but I didn't stop. Bad idea. Got to the ride saw Kim who was doing 75 miles. Hoss chick.
Event warmup:

Talked to Kim and rest of the team. Ride started exactly at 6:30 a.m.
Bike
  • 4h 30m
  • 50 miles
  • 11.11 mile/hr
Comments:

So the first 25 miles was pretty good. I humped it through the 10-mile climb through Thompson Canyon. It was hell. Even the flats were uphill. It was also a little scary. We were riding on a mountain road sharing with cars that were going too fast for all the curves. But made it to the turnaround rest stop no problem. My goal was to do the 50 in 4 hours. I got to the turnaround just before 2. I should have known something was wrong when I didn't have to pee. I had ridden 25 miles and I'd only drank 1/4 of ONE bottle of my Gatorade. Ate half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No oranges no extra drinks. I drank some of my gatorade and stayed at the rest stop for about 10 minutes. But hopped on my bike and went about three miles out of the way before I finally turned around and started my way home. Zoomed down the canyon woo hoo. Hit 40! Then came to another country road that was a long uphill. Felt some discomfort on the downhill, the makings of a charley horse but I kept going. And then.....My left leg seized up. Then my right leg seized up. Then I fell off my bike onto the side of the road. I was experiencing a pain I had never had before. It wasn't really pain it was terrible agony. I screamed. I screamed. I kept screaming. I couldn't stand. I just rolled around screaming. Across the street was a livery. Guys were on their horses rounding up cattle. Two guys galloped over to me. They thought I had been bitten by a snake. They asked me what was wrong but I couldn't talk the pain was too great. Tears were rolling down my eyes. My thighs began to literally blow up. They began to grow and grow. They were the size of watermelons. The pain was unbearable. After about three minutes - the longest three minutes of my life - the pain began to subside. An older guy rode by and stopped. I told him what happened. And he said,
"You're dehydrated. When the legs swell like that it means they aren't getting enough water." Duh. You bet your ass I was dehydrated. I was debiliatingly dehydrated. The older guy gave me some Advil and told me to drink up and stay put for 20 minutes. I cried, my race "time" was out the window. At this point I was wondering if I was going to survive. About 15 minutes later, after several people had passed the cycle store's van came by. He asked if my bike was alright. Yeah, I said, bike's fine it's my legs that do not work. Then the moment of truth - do you need a ride? I could've said yes. I wanted to. I was still in so much pain. But I told people who donated money to me that I was riding 50 miles and in a meoment of stupidity, why not I had had a whole day of them, I said no. I couldn't sit and wait for 20 minutes so I started to walk. I walked about a mile when I felt good enough to get back on the bike. I had less than 10 miles to go. I could gut it out. Three miles later another attacked. Waved down an event vehicle. Both my water bottles were empty now i drank them to ease the pain. Guy gave me some water. Back on the bike. two more miles agony. Off the bike and this time I did sit on the side of the road. Guy came by and switched my empty waterbottle for his full one. Another guy came by and filled my water bottle. I drank about 40 ounces of water in that last few miles. Last rest was four miles away. I passed it not wanting to chance hurting getting off and on the bike. As I rounded the last corner legs started to hurt again. As soon as I go to the chute I hopped off the bike and I was done. I iced my legs and drank as much Gatorade, electrolyte stuff as I could. By the time I left to go home I had to pee. YEAHHHHHHH! I finally had to pee. It was a great sign. The 2 hour ride home took about 3 because I kept stopping to rehydrate, pee and stretch the legs. Thank God for cruise control. Ugh. I finished and I learned a painful but necessary lesson. Hydrate on the bike. Or you'll regret it. Triathlons isn't just about the physical training whether you can do a distance it's about doing that distance well and not in pain and the only way you can do that is to have great nutrition.
What would you do differently?:

DUH - DRINK AND EAT MORE!
Post race
Warm down:

Iced the legs. Neck massage. Limped around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No nutrition plan and no nutrition.

Event comments:

Got to figure out a nutrition plan.

Last updated: 2005-06-11 12:00 AM
Biking
04:30:00 | 50 miles | 11.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: HILLY! About 1/2 of it was climbing. It was through Thompson Canyon mostly on country roads. Great downhills sucky uphills. It was more climbing than I've ever done in one bike ride. I was a real moron about this race. Didn't pay attention to the course our I probaby wouldn't have done it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-11 6:48 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Tour de Cure

2005-06-11 7:02 PM
in reply to: #173073

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Tour de Cure
Wow O!  I'm glad you made it back in one piece!!!  I can't begin to image the mental battle you went through after each sieze up.  I'm happy this all happened on a training ride approach workout.  Having to run a half mary after all that would have been brutal.  Congrats on your finish.  You worked your butt off for it.
2005-06-11 7:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-11 7:33 PM

Ovetta, you are sooo tough.  Thanks for the advice too.  Hope your legs recover quickly.  You are the poster person for commitment, congratulations. 
2005-06-11 7:34 PM

Expert
Denver

Way to fight through that one and finish. Just reading it made me thirsty. I had to get up and get some water about halfway through  

My favorite line:

"Even the flats seemed uphill."  Well, that and the fact that you finished without any serious or lasting injury.

2005-06-11 8:09 PM

Pro
Helena, MT
OMG, Ovetta... And I thought my last 10 miles were painful... That's amazing and inspiring that you didn't hop in the SAG wagon. I would have! So speaking of hoss, you certainly are, my friend... Sorry it wasn't as fun as we'd envisioned...

2005-06-11 8:31 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Ovetta girl....even with all the problems, you STILL rock.    I am impressed with your determination.....you finished!  And you did great.......now you know what you have to do for the 1/2!    you are a stud.
2005-06-12 3:43 PM

Master
Plant City, FL
O--You are the hossest of hoss chicks!!  OMG!  I can't even imagine what you went through today.  You kicked ass and told that van to keep going!! Way to Go!!!    I'm so freaking proud of you!!
2005-06-12 4:09 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW...so glad you are ok...note to Ovetta READ THE ARTICLE I JUST SENT YOU....But I guess you won't make that mistake again eh?  Way to tough it out for a good cause tho.  Sounds like a tough ride.  Take care of yourself and take a few days off.
2005-06-12 5:35 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

Holy Smokes, O, you're my hero for sure!!! I would have been in the sag wagon, I'm sure.

I hope you're recovered now and have a plan in place for nutrition/hydration

Jen

2005-06-12 6:29 PM

Expert
Utah

Ovetta, 

What an inspiring story.  I am sorry your legs rebelled.  You ROCK!

2005-06-12 6:31 PM

Expert
San mateo California
Amazing race Ovetta... Wow....   great that you are ok....   great that you finished..   That spirit is what it made that guy  who got hit in Kona pick up his bike and walk for miles.... That is the spirit of a triathlete..   congratulations on a great day....

cheers
2005-06-12 10:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Ovetta is officially my hero! Inspiring stuff and some very very valuable lessons learned. Rest up! M
2005-06-13 9:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way. Congrats on sticking it out and having the courage to continue despite the pain you were in. It would have been much easier to get on the sag wagon.

I'm glad you are ok. And hey, how many people are rescued by a man on horseback these days??? That was cool!

2005-06-13 11:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Thanks for telling us this story.  My heart goes out to you for enduring it, but my thanks also go out to you for helping me skip a painful mistake because you had the guts to share this with us!

Gwendal
2005-06-13 1:01 PM

Expert
Littleton, CO

OK, you pass the tough guy test.  Next time there will be a "smart woman" test.  BTW - not sure Waffle House woulda been the high-powered nutrition you're lookin for! LOL!

You rock girl - lookin' forward to seeing you Wed!

2005-07-01 3:58 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Geez, talk about hoss-chickery Nice report. Sorry to see that you had such a hard time with the hydration, but that's one lesson you won't soon forget, huh? Way to hang in there though.

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Cure Rss Feed