Set-up Inc.
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 44s
Overall Rank = 50/280
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/50
Pre-race routine:

Ran a small portion of the run course the day before the race to check out where the hills are. Found out rather quickly that the whole freaking trail portion was composed of these steep 40 foot climb hills.

Packet pickup...got #4!!!! Ate some pasta and chicken with extra salt, layed out and packed transition area. Packed the car and got my hydration stuff mixed and put together. Pretty uneventful.

Next morn...SSS, ate some yogurt, a banana and drank some water.
Event warmup:

Nice cool morning. Was expecting rain, but roads were dry. Did the usual stuff, then did an 8 min easy jog, followed by a 10 min bike, and finally a 7-8 min easy swim.

Saw Fred Carter!!! (fcarter389)

After the swim warmup, they said a prayer, and then someone played a sax rendition of the national anthem. I was down in the water at the time and the sound was travelling out over the water and bouncing off something out across the lake. The echo coming back was in sync with the sax. Its little things like that happening at tris that elate me and make me totally forget about any sort of nervousness or self doubt. Another cool memory I hope to take with me for a long time to come.
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out incredibly fast. I think almost too fast. They had all 34 and under men starting, so I was fighting a lot of good swimmers at the start and wanted to get some distance out there from the rest of the pack. After about 200m, fatigue set in and I slowed to what seemed a crawl and lost a few spots. Found my groove after about another 100 and just kept that pace for the remainder of the swim.

Massive negative thoughts when I hit that first wave of fatigue - we're talking DNF thoughts. :( Talked myself out of it, but I've gotta eliminate this if I'm gonna step up the swim to the next level.

The last time I had this miserable of a swim was at Wake Forest Tri. In that race I also wore one of these Desoto tri tops with the two pockets on the sides. I swear those damn pockets act like little drag pockets...even though they have holes in them. All my other races except for Wake and this one I didn't wear anything up top.

Me and another guy from Triad Tri team hung with one another for the whole swim. Every now and then we'd slam against one another. I'll bet we did it 10-15 times. We were laughing about it after the race was over.

Just posted my ranks. Didn't think I did as well as I did. Huh.
What would you do differently?:

Lose the top, show off the nips.

Work on the mental game.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Having race number 4 put me right at the bike exit. Sweeeeet! I'm not good enough at jumping on the bike yet or doing that rubber band thing. Something to work on for the offseason.

Keep on getting those low numbers. LOL!
Bike
  • 43m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.79 mile/hr
Comments:

My best event today IMO. There were 3 of us that hung together and kept passing one another. Only lost about 8-10 spots on this section and a bunch of them were not in my AG.

I hammered the hills...especially the last one. Pacing was spot on. I wanted to have something left at the end for this huge hill at the end. Executed that plan perfectly. 5 mile splits: 14:19, 14:52, 13.52.

Almost bit it a couple of times...both times going around corners. I tend to go a bit too fast and try to slingshot out of the turns. On one tight right hand turn, I almost went over someone's hood. Luckily the cops saw this wild eyed crazed guy on an orange Felt and stopped the car about 100ft back. The 2nd time I felt like I was at a 45 degree angle so that I wouldn't go off the road on a left turn. Happy to come out of that one without going down.

Biggest change from prior race to this race was my cadence up the hills. Instead of mashing a big gear at a low cadence, I was much less afraid to drop down into the small chainring and keep the cadence at 90-110.

Just posted rankings....sweet! 13!!!!

Master the cadence thing. Add a bike computer that measures cadence to the Christmas list.

Man...I'd love a set of race wheels. I bet I could get another 1-2 mph if I'd lose my training wheels.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Uneventful. The one thing I could have done to save a sec or two is to put my race number on while running and remember to unsnap the clasp before the race starts.
Run
  • 23m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a tough course. Yesterday's heavy rain made footing slippery. Some people like trails, I think I'm not one of them. The terrian never got flat. I was either struggling up a steep incline or slamming on the brakes down the other side. Saw about 3 people throwing up on the course (1 caught back up to me and passed me). Saw one poor girl face plant. The quads are not happy with me now.

Lost a lot of ground during the run.

Just posted rankings....guess it wasn't too bad. Still sucky, but 19/50 and 90/280 makes me a bit happy.

Anaerobic work with hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Get my finisher medal, and stand under a misting tent for about 10 mins.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sucky swim....its either my pacing, or my choice of clothing
Run anaerobic endurance. The hills shut me down.

Event comments:

Met Fred Carter (fcarter389) and his wonderful family. Found out what the 389 stands for, but I'm not telling...you have to pester him about that yourself. What a great guy! He's a trip too. I couldn't believe when I looked at his leg and saw 40 years old...he looks like he's about 28. LOL! Nice race Fred!

Mission Man was special to me in many ways. The reason above all others is that this race was the race that got me into this crazy sport. I remember sitting in my Lazy Boy on a Sunday morning last July and just happened to notice this tri written up in the paper. It was this moment that I realized that there are other tri distances out there other than the ironman distances. I was chubby and out of shape and could drink a whole hell of a lot more beer than I can now. Anyway...happy the direction life has taken after this article. Hell...I know you all now. What could be better????

This is my last planned sprint for 2005. I'm kind of sad that this part of my racing is coming to an end, but now I get to see Denise racing. I've got one more race (a HIM) this year in Sept that I'm doing for the enjoyment of doing it and hope I can survive.

Last updated: 2005-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 820 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/50
Overall: 18/280
Performance: Below average
Suit: trishort, desoto tri top
Course: Counterclockwise loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:17 | 15 miles | 20.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/50
Overall: 91/280
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Hourglass shaped 1 loop course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:58 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/50
Overall: 90/280
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back. Approx 2 miles trail run, 1 mile pavement/grass
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-30 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Mission Man Triathlon

2005-07-30 4:13 PM
in reply to: #211635

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Mission Man Triathlon

You did a fabulous job Jeff!! You should feel freaking THRILLED that you're not that chubby guy in the LazyBoy anymore!!  I know Denise is!!

You had an awesome race, you didn't throw up, you didn't crash, and you finished.  Not only did you finish, you were freaking FAST in all events!!  I say kick back in that lazyboy, pop open a beer and enjoy the days' work!!

BTW:  The race director asked me to come up and play my sax this morning, but I had to work, so I sent a CD over.  That was really ME playing, and the other guy was faking!!   Glad to know you enjoyed it though!!

Edited by G8RSAX 2005-07-30 4:14 PM

2005-07-30 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Dang, man, in one year you went from the couch to 1:30/100 swimming, 20+mph on the bike, and sub 8 miles on hilly terrain, not too bad! Nice work on this race!
2005-07-30 5:26 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Jeff, jeff, jeff. You are friggin fast. Great race...

I wouldn't get too torqued about the swim...I've seen so many mis-markings of swim course distances it could have been 100 long - don't sweat that. As long as you did what you could with it....and you did...I'd have no worries. :)

Your bike is FANTASTIC. That's a phenomenal average, including hills...what a great ride. Congratulations, all the hard work you've put in really is showing, in spades.

And I think Mission Man is exactly that...it started this man on a mission. MY question isn't how fast you could have gone in this one...what-ever. The question in my mind is 'what can't you do if you set your mind to it?'. I'm looking forward to watching you in the next one, and the next one. For this being your first whole season, you've made incredible progress...the sky's the limit. And the show is going to be fun to watch. :)

Edited by rkreuser 2005-07-30 5:27 PM
2005-07-30 6:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Nice race Jeff..hope you had fun   You gotta get Denise out there now! take care and enjoy your Sunday _SMO

Edited by sue7013 2005-07-30 6:25 PM
2005-07-30 8:59 PM

Master
Boston
All right Jeff. That's too cool that this race was what got you into triathlon. Funny how things work out....That's awesome you got to meet another BTer, too. I hope you get a new bike comp w/ a cadence monitor on it- I want one too. And race wheels would be sweet! I hope you're a good boy this year so Santa has lots of stuff to bring ya. GREAT JOB!

2005-07-30 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Yeah, Jeff...show off the nips!  I like that advice

Good race!  Don't worry about the run speed on trails...trails slow you down!

GREAT JOB!

2005-07-31 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Excellent race Jeff! Congratulations, I knew this one was important for you.
You are a very fast man even if you're not used to running on trails!
Félix
2005-07-31 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Nice work...I was in the melee at the start of the swim...had to back off and let some of you faster guys by. It was a fun race, the nat'l anthem was Kenny G.
2005-07-31 5:13 PM

Champion
Nice race Jeff. Good splits all around. Congrats on the high placing too. Get those race wheels and give 'em hell!!!

BTW, I'm guessing that "389" refers to a Pontiac GTO engine size in cubic inches....then again I could be WAY OFF!
2005-08-01 8:21 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Great race and way to go! You are superfast, man. Great job!

2005-08-01 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

Jeff, AWESOME race once again! You are soooo killing this season. Can't wait to see your performance in the HIM. Every race you have learned something and applied it to the next... Simply awesome! Now it's time to give Neaser the spotlight!

Rock On!

2005-08-01 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
NICE race Jeff!  Your speed is amazing!
2005-08-01 7:16 PM

User image

Regular
Awesome race! I did the same thing last year. Only avg'd 15 on the bike and bumped that up to 19 something this year. A good road bike helped! This was only my second race this year, also did Kerr Lake, but I plan on doing UNC Wellness, Pinehurst and Emerald Isle. Congrats on kicking butt this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mission Man Triathlon Rss Feed