General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake San Antonio, California
United States
Tri-California
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 10m 5s
Overall Rank = 111/1813
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/226
Pre-race routine:

Headed up to Lake San Antonio Friday about mid morning for this spectacular race. We stayed with our good friends in a house they had rented last year. Just minutes from the lake and a stones throw from the new market. It was a prime spot and a beautiful house. There were about 10 of us the first night and some more joined the second night. Pretty much 90% of the people in the house were racing one of the events this weekend. We headed down to packet pick up Friday afternoon and also went for a short swim. Water was perfect and the weather was good but a little windy. Everyone was hoping that would settle down by the next day...which the weather forecast was saying. Headed back to the house for a great dinner and off to bed. Staying so close to the event, it wasn't even that early of a morning.

We got down to the race at about 6:30 or so and rode the bikes down to transition. Everything is so big and wide open at this race, there isn't much setting up to do. You have plenty of room on the racks and they are all numbered so there is no rush to find a good spot. I took my time setting up and walked around transition looking for people I knew. I also kept popping out to say hi to my friends and Ashley who were with me. It was a VERY relaxed pre race. I finally put on my wetsuit and headed to the water.

The goal for this race was to execute the swim and bike to the best of my ability planning on having a good run...even though I knew I wouldn't. The plan was not to crush the swim and bike and walk the run. As most know, I am coming off a nasty and annoying stomach injury from running that has really hurt my run training. My longest run was just a few days prior to the race at 6 miles. That has been built up from literally 1-2 mile runs over the last month or so. So while my swim and bike fitness are good...my run fitness is nonexistent. My coach Brian Stover and I felt that if I could pace the swim and bike well, I would be able to at least jog the run. So that was the plan. This was my first 70.3 distance and my personal goal was to just stick to the plan and let the chips fall were they may.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up here. I was ready to go. I had rehearsed everything a million times and knew exactly what needed to be done. After the wave in front of us left, we had a chance to get in. I was one of the last in and last out and by the time I was out, we had 10 seconds to the gun. I lined up right behind my friend and swim coach from CVMM Jason Braun and the horn sounded and we were off.
Swim
  • 29m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim started off a little rough. Nothing to complain about but one guy kept trying to grab my feet and another guy and I were fighting for arm space. We hit arms like 5 times in a row...lol. By the first buoy though, everything was calm and just time to put the head down and swim. I found a guy swimming the same pace off to my right. I stayed next to him for a few strokes when I though, what am I doing? If I just fall back one stroke, I can sit right in his draft. I fell back and fell right into his draft. It was great...he was just pulling me along for quit a while.

My goal for the swim was very simple. Nice smooth pace to get me out of the water in ~30 minutes plus or minus. However, I was going to go all by feel and never really exert myself too much. By the turn around I was feeling really good and I decided that whatever pace I was swimming was feeling great and fast enough. The biggest thing I fight in these length swims is boredom. I just get really bored not being able to see much and being very confined in your little space for a pretty long time.

On the way back, the chop picked up just a little. It was back into the wind but it wasn't bad at all...oh, and the water temp was absolutely perfect for a wetsuit. Totally comfortable the whole swim. I reeled myself in about three times when the finish got into sight. I felt so good, I would start speeding up and I kept telling myself that a smooth, even pace would be better and pulled it back to my comfort zone. Came out of the water like I just swam an easy 100 yards. Felt great and headed up the ramp to T1. Mission 1 accomplished.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...this was spot on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

8th fastest T1 in class...took my time also...I was just methodical and deliberate and didn't rush anything.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Leaving T1 I looked up at the race clock that read 1:00:xx...so I knew I had a good swim. I took off 30 minutes back and knew if I was leaving T1 in 30 minutes, I came in well under...so that was a great boost.

Goal for the bike was 230watts. Keep the long hills below 275 and the short ones below 295. Nutrition was all planned out so I headed out to Beach Hill. Getting on the bike and all settled was pretty uneventful. I hit Beach and had to keep reminding myself...watch your power! Every time someone would pass, I would look down and see 300 or so. I had to bring it down. I passed a ton of people on the way up but was also passed a lot as well. I just kept my power in the right range and plodded along. Got to the top and I think I got everyone that passed me back by the time we exited the park. I take pride in my set up and don't think I leave a lot out there for others to capitalize on as far as aerodynamics and it shows. Going down really fast hills where you are no longer pedaling, I was blowing by people. Felt good.

Got out onto the first main road and just settled in and maintained my power. Average was high at that point because of the hill, but slowly came down to the right spot after some of the downhills. There were a lot of people on the course at this time. Got to the Olympic turn around and this is were the wind started to pick up. Dead straight headwind. Wasn't too bad, but definitely not something you would want to ride all day. It was also just enough to make some of the descents a little sketchy with the deep front Jet9.

Made it to the first right at Jolon Rd and was glad to get out of the headwind...or so I thought. The wind now was a perfect crosswind. Much MUCH more problematic. First off, it was playing havoc with my front wheel. The disc was doing good however and as most know, discs actually help in winds not hurt. It wasn't so bad though that it was making me slow down. I was still able to keep the speeds up. It was also blowing my aero helmet sideways and that was causing fatigue in my neck. The road also goes to complete shit at this point and you just feel like your bike is going to fall apart.

It was nice to finally make it to about mile 26 where the course finally heads downhill for a substantial amount of time. I was cruising along at about 220-230watts and my legs were starting to feel pretty good. Up until that point, they felt a little fatigued...but they were starting to come around. At this point, I had forced some food and Gatorade down, but didn't really fell like I needed it...so I stopped and just went by how I was feeling.

Made the second right and really started feeling good at this point. It's a gradual uphill all the way to Nasty Grade, but with the now tailwind, I was on the GAS. Legs felt great, 230watts was no problem and I averaged 26.7mph through miles 37-41...and passed a lot of people. Made the left and headed up Nasty Grade. Being from the area I am with the Santa Monica Mountains hosting almost all my training rides, Nasty Grade really is not that intimidating. As long as I kept my head, and watched my power, I knew it wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't. I cruised up it and the only real "issue", if you can call it that, was that the tailwind was making the air very stagnant on the way up...which means it got a little hot since no air was moving. Simply grabbed a water from the aid station and cooled off and kept going. Got passed by a couple guys on the way up that I quickly passed back and dropped on the way down. I guess people like to be hero's on the hills.

Had to stay on the bull horns on the way down the fast descent after the climbs. It was just too windy and the front wheel was too squirrelly to take a chance. I got back on the power feeling really good with about 8 miles left and brought it home for a great bike split. I think I did a great job of watching myself when I thought I could go harder and bringing it back to make sure I didn't pay dearly later. With the level of competition and difficulty of this course, I'm really happy with this split. To even be in the same zip code as guys like Tim Hola and company is an accomplishment in itself...and to only be a few minutes off their pace for this split was very encouraging.

Here is the data
Entire workout (214 watts):
Duration: 2:46:05 (2:46:17)
Work: 2119 kJ
TSS: 184.2 (intensity factor 0.819)
Norm Power: 227
VI: 1.06
Pw:HR: n/a
Pa:HR: n/a
Distance: 55.039 mi
Elevation Gain: 3358 ft
Elevation Loss: 3354 ft
Grade: 0.0 % (3 ft)
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 623 214 watts
Cadence: 20 116 83 rpm

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

18th fastest T2..not my best but wasn't really trying to go fast. I actually stopped and reset my Garmin so I had clear info on the run. I was fine giving up 10-20 seconds here to be smooth and leave knowing I had everything..etc.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 51m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Back in March I attended a training camp here at Wildflower but because I was still not running much at that point, I wasn't able to prerun the run course. HOLY SHIT...are you kidding me. This was the hardest run course I had ever been on...lol.

Ok, first, goal was to finish the run...lol. Not much I could really do beyond that. I mean, as I mentioned before, I had very little run fitness going into this race. Everything after mile 6 was going to be uncharted territory. I knew I had to keep things very mellow the first 5 miles while the course headed uphill...after that, just go by feel.

I headed out and clicked off two 8 minute miles that felt VERY slow. I did have a pain in my back right away that was very concerning. Not sharp, just sore, but worrisome. I knew that most of the problems that might arise would come from the support muscles like the lower back that just don't have the miles in them. Pace was good though and I came to mile 3 which had one gradual uphill in it and I thought, this isn't that bad.

Then came mile 4 and 5. This was the worst point in my life thus far...lol. This is where the course turns into a fricken mountain climb. Straight up for what seemed like FOREVER. I had to walk...and the good news was that some of the runners coming by were walking too. Thumbs up to that! These were also good runners, I mean starting off the run I was somewhere near the top ten...probably well inside...and these guys were walking too. That made me feel a little better. Finally crested mile 5 and headed down hill and back into the park.

At this point, I was starting to feel better. Pain in the back was gone and I was just trying to moderate effort at this time to make sure I got all the way through this. Sometimes because we swim bike and run so much that miles seem shorter than they are. How many times have you said to yourself, ok, it's only 3 mile or whatever...I can pick it up. The problem is, 3-4-5 miles is a long way...especially at the tail end of a 5 hour race. So I stayed within myself, making sure to get some water and Gatorade at each aid station and sometimes walk the stations and steeper hills.

Although I have never run the course, I studied the profile and talked to tons of people about the course. So I knew where the uphills and downhills were and basically how to get around the course. At mile 9 I headed into the pit. What a cruel joke this is. This is the only time I wanted the downhill to STOP...because for every step you run down, there is an equal one that has to come back up. Made the turn around at the bottom and struggled back up the hill. It was painful for sure. Finally made it to mile 11 and I knew it was time to pick up the pace. All I had was one mile to go because mile 12 is all downhill. I was running with this one guy for most of the race..back and forth we went and we were encouraging each other. He also picked it up for mile 11 and I think we ran a pretty good mile. At this point my Garmin had lost reception at some point so the mile laps were off but I still had the overall time that I just corresponded to the mile markers.

Heading down Lynch Rd is one of the best feelings I have ever had. I still had enough gas to hold a great pace down the hill and I finished strong on my own through the chute. I was pretty happy to be done. I was very happy to see Ashley at the finish line. Everything was good.

Maybe do some run training ;)
Post race
Warm down:

I felt really good after the race. I just paused and caught my breath and reunited with my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously some run fitness.

Event comments:

I don't think I could have executed much better. All my times were on the right side of my goals and I was able to complete the run injury free.

Let me also say what an experience it was to complete this race. It was the longest race for me to date and I absolutely loved the distance. This really is an unbelievable sport and I'm really stoked I'm starting to make some friends in transition and become a part of it. I'm also really excited to get back at it and see what I can do at Hawaii 70.3. If it doesn't go as well, that's ok too...because I know that no matter what, I'm going to have a good time and a few stories.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far...too many to list but you know who you are.

Last updated: 2010-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:02 | 2112 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/226
Overall: 100/1813
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Axis
Course: Lake San Antonia Swim. Rectangle course with timing mats at entry and exit of swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:45 | 56 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/226
Overall: 70/1813
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Wildflower....what can you say...lol
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:51:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/226
Overall: 315/1813
Performance: Below average
Course: Yeah, toughest run course I've ever been on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-02 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course

2011-05-02 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3478952

User image

Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course

Oh, so you just roll up, no run training, and pull of a 5:10 holding back the whole time at your first HIM at a ridiculously hard run course.  Nice 

Great report.  Looking forward to seeing what you can do at this distance "healthy"

2011-05-02 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California

Ha!

Being from the area I am with the Santa Monica Mountains hosting almost all my training rides, Nasty Grade really is not that intimidating

That's sort of my back yard, and that's the first time I've ever heard someone outside of SLO Co say that. Brawny ride, dude. Countless runs have died because of that climb. Great job... and really good RR!

2011-05-03 6:26 AM

User image

Elite
Miami

solid dude.  great report.  82% on the bike and you still ran a 8:30 pace.  wow.  i would imagine an easy 4:50 for you if you didn't have the injury. 

very nice!  gratz!

2011-05-03 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
That headwind on the bike was super frustrating.   I thought we would get a tailwind on Jolon, but NO!

Awesome job!!
2011-05-03 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Loved the rr!  I did WF in 09 and 10, and your report made feel like I was there in 11!  Of course, I wasn't nearly as fast.....but, still!

An impressive race, made even more so by your lack of running leading up to it.  Wow.  And I agree, toughest run course ever.  Did you at least get to see the girls at mile 4?

Edited by velcromom 2011-05-03 10:38 AM

2011-05-03 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3478991

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
ChrisM - 2011-05-02 9:33 PM

Oh, so you just roll up, no run training, and pull of a 5:10 holding back the whole time at your first HIM at a ridiculously hard run course.  Nice 

Great report.  Looking forward to seeing what you can do at this distance "healthy"

Thanks Chris....I don't know if I was really "holding back"...lol. I think it was more moderating effort. I was definitely still going pretty hard

2011-05-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3479103

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
trix - 2011-05-03 4:26 AM

solid dude.  great report.  82% on the bike and you still ran a 8:30 pace.  wow.  i would imagine an easy 4:50 for you if you didn't have the injury. 

very nice!  gratz!

Yeah...I was definitely thinking sub 5 was in the cards.

2011-05-03 2:11 PM

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. This is my 1st post. I am one of the videographers for Tri California.
We covered the Wildflower Triathlon and came away with some pretty spectacular shots out
on the long course. Every time I go to Wildflower and see these athletes in person I am so
impressed. This is the most difficult course I've ever seen. Here is a short video we posted
on YouTube of the women's race results. Leanda Cave from England won the race. She's
super cool and we were very glad she came away with the win. Enjoy the video. Comments
are definitely appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=817Pfo3hfks
2011-05-03 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great job!  RR brought back very unpleasant memories of miles 4 & 5 from 2009...only time I've ever walked on a run course outside of an IM...brutal...but you obviously handled it nicely!
2011-05-03 4:00 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Thanks for the enjoyable read and congrats on a great job on a tough course.

2011-05-03 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
BTW....race report is up with some photo's on my blog.
2011-05-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3479664

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

velcromom - 2011-05-03 8:37 AM

Did you at least get to see the girls at mile 4?

This was THE most disappointing part of the race...I came in and immediately said, "Where the hell were the naked girls!"

2011-05-04 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
mah man, you posted a wicked time given the fact that you weren't able to run much.  Great job out there dusty.  Great swim time btw....
2011-05-04 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
very impressive.  nicely done out there and great report, too!
2011-05-04 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

2011-05-04 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3478991

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-05 5:36 PM

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate the support!
2011-05-05 8:50 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well I'd say that was pretty flipping fantstic congratulations!!! 
2011-05-06 8:51 AM

Expert
Bedford, NH
Way to go Dusty!  Awesome race and RR!  It sounds like you did a terrific job sticking to the game plan and it paid off!  Very impressed with all your splits, especially your run considering your lack of training and the tough course.  You looked pretty good crossing that finish line.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how Hawaii goes.  With some more run training, you should be able to do some damage.  Its also great to see how much you enjoyed the race and this distance.  Keep up the great work man!
2011-05-09 12:11 AM

Expert

Wow. First 70.3? I don't believe you.

Great swim and bike... and you put together a decent running considering you knew this wasn't going to be your strongpoint.  Congrats Dusty.

2011-05-09 11:55 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job, Dusty.
2011-05-12 1:41 AM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Well done Dusty! That's a really tough run to be doing with limited training. You pulled it off well though. Do they still have the nude girls aid station?EDIT: just read the other comments about the girls. Bummer

Edited by tjfry 2011-05-12 1:44 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed