General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Triathlon Age Group World Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU Triathlon Age Group World Championships - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
ITU
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 89/111
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 6:15 and transition closed at 7:00. However, my wave didn't go off until 8:30 (UGH!) so I got up early with my roommate (her wave went off at 7:30) and walked ~1-1 1/2 miles to transition to set up, pick up my chip and get marked and then went back to the hotel to rest a bit and have my coffee, power harvest bar, etc.
Event warmup:

The walks to and from transition helped warm me up. Stretched also. Had another pair of shoes to practice running (very little of that...enough foot problems as it is). Put my other gear in the gear tent and did some swimming in the warmup area.
Swim
  • 32m
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Starting later is DEFINITELY a disadvantage, however since my whole age group was in the same boat as me, I can't complain (I just might anyway!)

Windy day. The swim course got choppier as time went on. The 2nd loop was much rougher than the first.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster so I'd be out before the water gets rougher (DUH!)
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Bikes were VERY close together in transition, but no worries since all the athletes around me were already out on their bikes by the time I got in from the swim!

Had some trouble with my right shoe.

Pay more attention when I put my shoes on.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind in my face from the get-go, but I'm not good at realizing it. All I knew was that my quads were burning from the start but I was going slow. (I'm a little unobservant). By the time I realized I had a big headwind, I was pedaling hard DOWN a hill because the force of the wind slowed me down so much. Out on Kalanianioli Hwy I looked at my speedometer a few times (HUGE mistake!) and read, 14-16 mph, once as slow as 12 in a big gust, and that didn't even involve a hill!

Downhills are what really do me in more than uphills, since I have no way to train on descents. I was very proud that on the way back I was brave enough to do over 35 mph down the big hill without riding the brakes like a sissy. Return trip must've been pretty good to average 18.5 and cancel out the 14 I was doing on the way out. Unfortunately, my quads were already fried from the way out so I couldn't take advantage of that tailwind like I would've liked to.

Pray harder for a windless day.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Allotted rack slots were so close together, I knew I'd have a problem reracking my bike. Sure enough, I had to move two bikes out of my way just to rack my bike. Bit of a time waster...seemed likes minutes, but I'm sure it was only seconds.

Not really anything I could do.
Run
  • 51m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't feel good from the beginning of the run. Foot was bothering me, felt tired from the beginning. Thought I could just be conservative on the first loop and then pour it on for the 2nd loop, but it just didn't work out that way.

Very disappointing because the run is usually where I make up huge ground on people. Barely passed anyone, but I was passed several times.

Not have any foot injuries. I haven't really been able to run for the past month due to foot injuries. It certainly takes its toll.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a lot of walking. Also ended up in the med tent later on. Don't remember all that went on, but I think I was there for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training the past month, 3 injuries on the left foot (plantar fasciitis, flexor tendinitis of two toes, and sprained great toe), plus, apparently, dehydration.

Event comments:

I was surprised and disappointed in myself. I usually thrive in the heat, but I guess Hawaii heat is just different than Florida heat. I guess I just didn't have it that day.

I'm disappointed that my season ended with such an anticlimax, but now it's time to heal these injuries.

I am happy to be able to say that I DEFINITELY left it all out on the course that day. There's no way I could've gone any faster with what I had to work with that day.

Last updated: 2005-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:00 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 92/111
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Two loops of a 750 meter course, going out along the wall then parallel to beach and back, then around first two buoys again for the 2nd loop. Deep water start.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:12 | 24.85 miles | 18.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 93/111
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Mostly out-and back, one loop. 1-2 moderate hills, one HUGE hill right before turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:30 | 06.2 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/111
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops of around Kapiolani Park and then down the main beach road, then U-turn around to begin 2nd loop.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-13 4:47 PM

, Alabama
Subject: ITU Triathlon Age Group World Championships

2005-10-13 5:19 PM
in reply to: #264910

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: ITU Triathlon Age Group World Championships
"I am happy to be able to say that I DEFINITELY left it all out on the course that day. There's no way I could've gone any faster with what I had to work with that day."

That's all you can say, Sharon! I'm impressed with your determination to press on. Of course your times are a dream for me, so anything I can say about that would be meaningless. But you are a great competitor! It may not have been the season ender you would have chosen, but you definitely showed your grit and athletic spirit!

Heal up! and congratulations!

Dana
2005-10-13 8:50 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Sharon, a lesser woman (um, me), may have just said to hell with it and spent the day laying on the beach, licking her (um, my) wounds!  Be proud you were there, injuries and all!  We know how fast you really are!! 
2005-10-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #265002

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Looks like you were pretty fast to me!  Sorry it wasn't a good experience for you.   I had a good experience except for the swim also!  Nice job, you raced with the worlds best!

2005-10-14 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Sometimes your best races aren't the fastest. There is an article in one of the recent triathlon magazines about toughness. Read it. You proved you were "tough" out there. A lot of people wouldn't have even started the race with all those foot (feet) problems. You should be proud of your accomplishment.
2005-10-14 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey I think you did pretty darn good!  Nice race, wind and feet SUCK!   

2005-10-14 4:28 PM
in reply to: #265459

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Wind blows and feet stink.
2005-10-14 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Well As you know I think you ROCK no matter what You did your best and that is all anyone can ask of themselves. You wre injured and you kept on anyway. Because you are so good at this you have expect a lot of yourself, but as you said you left it all on thecourse...AND YOU DID YOUR VERY BEST with what you had. Sometimes you just gotta paint with the colors God gives you Congrats on 2 great races
2005-10-15 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
It was great to see you again down there.  That was one nasty headwind!  You hung tough there.  Congrats on a job well done despite the foot problems.  The two of us kept those team doctors busy.
2005-10-23 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
You are an incredible athlete Sharon!  Congrats on your perserverence despite the injury.  You're amazing.  Sounds like it was a wind tunnel racing in Hawaii.  I'm sooo jealous. 
2005-10-23 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

How did I miss this RR??  Sharon, You freaking ROCK!!  You are my hero!!

2005-10-24 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Sharon, let me add my congrats on the race.  Its enough to train and race when you're healthy.  You showed up and posted a respectable time for someone who was unhampered by injury.  You ran an amazing race considering you were hurt.

I can only add my comments to Jeff's, that you're an incredible athlete and so many of us envy your capabilities.

2005-10-24 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
no matter what you are awesome...what a great race and incredible amount of heart....congrats!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Triathlon Age Group World Championships Rss Feed