The Cowtown
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 41m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Oooh birthday race - a tradition since 2009 to come to Ft. Worth and race The Cowtown! With a marathon and two half marathons at this race I decided to tackle the ULTRA this year. Hired my coach to train me up and I nailed all of my long runs, worked on nutrition, learned a LOT about myself. I ran into some significant IT Band issues in the last 4-6 weeks, something I need to straighten out before the YEAR OF THE MARATHON continues.

Race week came, I painted my toenails FIERCE GIRL SPARKLY BLACK and mentally prepared for a challenging, but amazing race.

I had the best company in the world, Linda (LindaKC) and Amber (InnerAthlete) were my partners in crime - we trucked down to Texas Friday evening. These are my girls... we've road tripped to - and done - multiple races (including two) Ironmans together, pep talked each other before - during - and after races, seen the good/bad/ugly sides of each other,and generally just become amazing friends. We never would have met each other if it wouldn't have been for BT and Triathlon. What an amazing sport; I'm so grateful and thankful to have met these girls and been able to share this stuff with them. Thank you, girls.

Saturday we hit up the Expo and had a blast shopping, ate lunch, napped, watched TV, ate dinner, and were in bed fairly early. I was wide awake for a few hours but when I fell asleep it was good sleep for about an hour at at time.

Up at 5:15 for a 6:00 departure, we had a little less than a mile to walk to get to the start area. Breakfast of GF oatmeal with natural peanut butter and a handful of granola on top, coffee, water.

At the start area we found a nice bathroom with a short line (score!), then dropped off drop bags, then got into the corrals. Said goodbye to Linda, who was going to be running faster (and PR'd her half marathon!), and shivered until the start. The Emcee was playing "I got the moves like Jagger" as our corral made its way to the start line and I was singing and dancing and so ready to start.
Event warmup:

The ~1 mile walk from hotel to start line.
Run
  • 6h 41m 24s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 12m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Crossing the start line was pretty cool... I felt great and wanted to remember that moment so I soaked it in. It was crowded but the atmosphere was so energetic with cheers and cowbells and music and signs. It reminded me why I LOVE TO RUN and I was just so happy to start this race.

Amber and I were doing a run/walk of run 1 mile/walk 1 minute and the Garmin told us when to do this. We felt a little silly walking at the 1-mile mark of an Ultra Marathon, but OBEY THE BEEPER was our motto and who cares what the crowd thinks of us, right?

The first 10 miles really flew by. We were happy and chatty and taking it all in. I was trying so hard to ignore my IT Band, which had started talking to me at mile 3. It got worse and worse, and I took 2 Tylenol at mile 7 or 8 - did not help! Pain got worse and after much deliberation I caved and took 2 more at mile 11. Wow, 4 Tylenol in 4 miles seems alarming, but I felt like I had to in order to continue. This time the pain eased.

We got to split from the Half Marathoners around mile 11 (?) and I clearly remembered last year being so sad I wasn't going LEFT because last year I'd started out training for the Ultra but had to drop to the Half due to injury. But this year it was MY YEAR, and I proudly veered left and did a "WOOT WOOT" with my hands in the air.

A few miles later I started to fade mentally. My IT Band pain was less (but still there), my feet ached like crazy, and everything was just getting tired. I quickly became cranky and irritable, every little thing was annoying me to no end. I felt bad, because I'm sure I was whiny and snippy - poor Amber. She is such a good sport though, reminding me to STAY IN THE MOMENT and just keep trucking along.

I don't remember much till mile 18, where I took 2 Ibuprofen. Amber though I should switch from Tylenol. These actually helped the most, or maybe my body just got used to all of the pain, I don't know. But after that my legs were at some strange feeling between super achy, and numb. It was weird.

Walk breaks were coming more frequently now, maybe every half mile, or up a hill. I was okay with that. At mile 24/25 (?) the Ultra people turned off for a ~5mile out and back section. Here we go - now I'm REALLY an ultra runner! :)

We ran on a super nice sidewalk/path, and got to see others coming back in from the turnaround. Lots of people would say "way to go" or "great job" as they passed, but my body was breaking down so fast I just didn't have the energy to return the encouragement (luckily Amber did). Then I noticed some people would simply look at us and give a thumbs up - so I started doing that, too. Thumbs up! Thumbs up! It was like a secret little code for the Ultra Runners, with a deep understanding that even if I didn't make eye contact or smile, the Thumbs up! let them know I understood, and that we would all eventually make it.

This section went on forever and ever. I commented probably 10 times to Amber that it just never ended! For as far as your eye could see, there were little runners in the distance on that sidewalk. It was very discouraging to know I still had that far to go before the turnaround. Pretty dark place here, I just wanted to stop moving so badly.

At the turnaround I thought would never come, there was an "ultra" aid station. It had Coke. OMG. Sweet, sweet Coke. I took 2 cups and gulped them down, and literally within 10 seconds I felt like a completely different person. I've taken Coke in Ironmans before, but never had it affect me like it did at mile 28. I started running faster. I was laughing, singing, talking again. "Don't Stop Believing" came on my iPod and I sang/yelled it out loud to Amber and the people going the other way on the path. We sang the whole song and ran almost that whole mile. It was CRAY-CRAY.

I faded a tiny bit after that, but my Coke high got me through to where we met back up with the main course, and then we were in the last mile. OMG ONE MORE MILE! Amber took a picture of me, I was so happy here. I decided to pull out the inspirational cards I'd brought with me - these were cards my friends/family had wrote for my past 2 Ironmans. I went through them before leaving for the race and picked out my favorite 6. Bible verses from my Dad, funny stuff from Linda and Amber, one from my Brother (in law) that made me cry. Time to run it in!!!

We wound around and around in the last mile, and finally made the right veer to see the finish line. By this time it was pretty scarce, but LINDA was right there and after passing her I set my sights on that balloon arch and took it all in. The announcer said both of our names, our home towns, and commented on Amber's cow-print top - we both high fived him in the finish chute. I crossed the finish line and was finally able to stop.

I was done. I was an ultra runner. :)
What would you do differently?:

Fix my IT Band. I didn't go to ART because the guy my coach recommended doesn't take my insurance. But another doctor in town does, so I'll be heading his way in the next few weeks.

Other than the IT Band pain, feet pain, and intense aching... I felt I did a really good job. Especially with nutrition. I ate every 45 minutes whether I wanted to or not. Carried my hand-held water bottle and was SO GLAD I DID! It was very warm at points and I was drinking lots of water - the aid stations were 1.5 miles apart and I would have been crazy parched and probably dehydrated if I hadn't carried my own. Took PowerAid at almost every opportunity, and of course the Coke at the end.

Nutrition: 3 packs Honey Stinger chews, 2 GUs, 1 tootsie roll, PowerAid, Coke.
Post race
Warm down:

I immediately gave Amber a huge hug - I was so grateful for her support and encouragement not only for the race but in the months leading up to it. We did all of my long runs together and it really made the difference in my consistency. Thanks, girl.

We got our medals (#4 of the 5-year medal series that makes a sweet Texas Star when you put them all together) and when mine was put over my head I looked at it and actually cried. I'd been dreaming about this day for literally years, and to actually get the medal that proves I finished was overwhelming.

Linda found us, then we went to get runners food (which kind of sucked for me) and finishers shirts and drop bags. Linda brought the car around, thank goodness, and we piled our nasty stinky selves in and headed to an delicious Mexican lunch, then on the road back to Kansas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT Band pain, all-over intense ache.

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
06:41:24 | 31.07 miles | 12m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Not flat!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-27 11:47 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: The Cowtown Ultra Marathon

2012-02-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4068558

Master
, California
Subject: RE: The Cowtown Ultra Marathon
Good job sticking it out!  I sympathize with the IT problems... it's so frustrating.  I'm glad you were able to pull together and make the finish.
2012-02-27 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
Great Job Lisa!  Worked the grumpys out!
2012-02-27 12:32 PM

User image

Pro
Awesome job, Lisa!! You rock.
2012-02-27 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go! I did the non ultra 26.2 and remember thinking that the real runners were the ones veering off for the extra miles at the end.Way to go ultra runner!!!
2012-02-27 12:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-27 1:00 PM

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

GREAT JOB on the first of what will be many ultra's!!!!!  isn't coke amazing?!?!?  anyway way to go and look forward to seeing you at a future event!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEf'nAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!

2012-02-27 1:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Congrats on a huge accomplishment. You are a rockstar. Way to work through the bad miles... they are why people do it, aren't they? If every race was easy and fun, there wouldn't be any challenge or allure to the longer distances. Nice work!
2012-02-27 1:53 PM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Congrats on a great job Lisa!!!  Enjoy the rest, you deserve it!!!

2012-02-27 1:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I am so proud of you for rocking this race! It was so awesome to see you guys at the finish line. What a fun weekend!
2012-02-27 2:25 PM

Regular

Congrats Lisa!!!  Good job getting through those dark moments.  Enjoyed reading another one of your race reports. 

After reading one of your reports about those "Inspirational Cards", I decided to try that in Louisville.  Not only did they work then, but I still read them when I'm lifting weights in my man cave.  Just wanted to share that with you.

Take care.

2012-02-27 2:34 PM

Veteran

You did so great! I hope the pain doesn't dissuade you from another ultra in the future once you get your IT band situated. (I think the foot pain can at least be partially blamed on the camber of the road.)

I'll get your pictures upload soon so you can put them in your report!

2012-02-27 3:15 PM

DFW, Tejas
Nice job fighting thru the pain!  I kept looking for the cow tri tops but never saw you guys out there.  Didn't it seem like totally different race after mile 25?  Loved all the encouragement from the other runners on the out and back portion.
2012-02-27 4:58 PM

Master
North Alabama

Nice job pushing through and finishing. That was pretty cool.

Amazing how goals work. We set our sights on them and bust hump to get there! Great job!!!

2012-02-27 7:27 PM

Expert
Ankeny, Iowa
WOOT WOOT!!! WAY TO GO!!
2012-02-27 10:10 PM

Master
Overland Park, KS

Congratulations Lisa,

You're one tough cookie!  Great RR as usual.

2012-02-28 7:43 AM

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Happy birthday!  What a great way to celebrate.  So impressed with your perseverance, and the joyful attitude you bring.  Hope the ART helps your IT band....really helped mine so I'm a believer .
2012-02-28 8:41 AM

Austin, Texas
Another great race report, super congrats on being an ultra runner Lisa!
2012-02-28 8:47 AM

Master
Bloomington, MN
Huge, huge accomplishment Lisa!  Way to go!
2012-02-28 8:56 AM

Master
Straight outta Compton
Great RR!!!  Nice that you have another accomplishment that you can check off your to-do list!  I'd also suggest carrying some Biofreeze or Ironman Pain Relieving gel with you.  They work amazingly well, and they lack the nasty side effects of NSAIDs.
2012-02-28 10:36 AM

Regular
Chicago
Major accomplishment! Way to go pushing through pain and reaching your goals.

2012-02-28 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4070496

Expert
Temple, TX
Wow, what a race you had!!  I was soooo glad I was only doing the half when you guys split off!  I was already hurting... really impressed with how you got through those dark miles... oh, I ended up NOT getting bumped from the hotel!
2012-02-28 10:55 AM

Veteran

wow. you ran the big race. yikes.

splitting yall off like that at mile 24 was a humbling experience. Congrats ultra lady!

2012-02-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4070225

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job!  I am impressed not only that you ran the race, but by all of the work you did to prepare for it.  Congrats!
2012-02-28 11:09 AM

Pro
Husker Nation
Awesome!!! Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown Ultra Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2