General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safer to ride bike on the left side of the road in the country? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2012-08-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4386386

User image

Subject: RE: Safer to ride bike on the left side of the road in the country?
brooklynpatriot - 2012-08-29 11:14 AM
lisac957 - 2012-08-29 1:10 PM
brooklynpatriot - 2012-08-29 1:07 PM

lisac957 - 2012-08-29 1:02 PM No. Please don't. Gives a bad name to the rest of us who follow the law.

I would think that following a law  and teaching people to follow a law that leads to more traffic accidents would give someone a bad name.  Following the law just because it is the law and for no greater reason makes no sense and is actually at odds with our legal system.

I am not saying I am right or this way is certainly safer, but it is worth a discussion and looking into. 

I don't even have words for this "logic" you've presented.

Because while I may be wrong about the biking, I'm 100% right about our legal system.  Judges ignore/strike down laws  all the time when it leads to the wrong result.  For example, in NY if you murdered your spouse but you were named in their will, by law you would still get their estate.  The NY court of appeals still refused to give a husband his wife's estate after he murdered her despite the law being clear.  

If you could show a traffic law leads to unsafe conditions, the judge is obligated not to enforce the law/strike down the law

bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!    Good one.  Where is this "obligation" written?

This is one of those "what do you all think about this idea that I am going to do anyway no matter what you say" threads, isn't it???

2012-08-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4386475

Veteran
crowny2 - 2012-08-29 1:38 PM

Overwhelming evidence STRONGLY points to no.  It is not safer.

Could you show it to me?  I am genuinely curious.  I'm not out to do things my way, or be unsafe, my goal is to be as safe as possible which is why I am bringing this up in the first place.

2012-08-29 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4386266

User image

Elite
Ontario

My 7 year old uses your same methodology for thinking - we the parents (the law) are unjust and unfair and he goes out of his way to prove his way is better/correct.  Inevitably he loses, either by learning the hard way, or dealing with the wrath of his parents.

By the way, I think this is a big troll post to begin with because no-one is that.......

2012-08-29 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4386488

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
ChrisM - 2012-08-29 2:41 PM

lisac957 - 2012-08-29 1:02 PM No. Please don't. Gives a bad name to the rest of us who follow the law.

I would think that following a law  and teaching people to follow a law that leads to more traffic accidents would give someone a bad name.  Following the law just because it is the law and for no greater reason makes no sense and is actually at odds with our legal system.

I am not saying I am right or this way is certainly safer, but it is worth a discussion and looking into. 

Because while I may be wrong about the biking, I'm 100% right about our legal system.  Judges ignore/strike down laws  all the time when it leads to the wrong result.  For example, in NY if you murdered your spouse but you were named in their will, by law you would still get their estate.  The NY court of appeals still refused to give a husband his wife's estate after he murdered her despite the law being clear.  

If you could show a traffic law leads to unsafe conditions, the judge is obligated not to enforce the law/strike down the law

This is one of those "what do you all think about this idea that I am going to do anyway no matter what you say" threads, isn't it???

Overwhelming evidence strongly points to yes.

2012-08-29 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
2012-08-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4386495

User image

GoFaster - 2012-08-29 8:42 AM

By the way, I think this is a big troll post to begin with because no-one is that.......

You're probably right. 

2012-08-29 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4386488

Veteran
ChrisM - 2012-08-29 1:41 PM

Almost all laws are subject to rational basis review.  If there is no rational basis for the law, it should be struck down.  If a safety law led to greater accidents, that would not pass rational basis review.  

Actually it's not, if someone can come up with a good reason why I'm wrong I would gladly listen.  I conceded that force of impact is a good reason, it would just have to be weighed vs probability of an accident.  I'm not out to justify any kind of behavior, I'm trying to be safe.

Edited by brooklynpatriot 2012-08-29 1:49 PM
2012-08-29 1:49 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

By riding on the left side of the road you are dramatically reducing the reaction time for a driver to avoid you.  If you are going down a hill, over a crest, or rounding a corner you may leave almost no time for a driver to avoid you even if they are attentive.  No way to look at this other than a bad idea.

Also, what do you do when you come up on a cyclist that is traveling on what would be their right?  You are potentially creating a situation where you have three folks deciding at the last second how to occupy the same space. 

2012-08-29 1:51 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

brooklynpatriot -

I see that you recently joined BT, welcome.  I also see that you have added some workouts to your training log and some long-term, tri specific goals which shows that that you plan to stay around for a while - great.  BT is an awesome community for triathletes and can be very valuable to new triathletes especially.  

Every once and a while a topic gets out of hand as members jab back and forth with differing views.  This thread is quickly heading that direction.  You should accept that no one has given you what you clearly believe to be the correct answer to your question.  The members you are currently arguing with might be the ones with helpful answers to triathlon questions in the future.

Hook'em

2012-08-29 1:52 PM

Veteran
GoFaster - 2012-08-29 1:42 PM

My 7 year old uses your same methodology for thinking - we the parents (the law) are unjust and unfair and he goes out of his way to prove his way is better/correct.  Inevitably he loses, either by learning the hard way, or dealing with the wrath of his parents.

Yes because if our roughly 250 year history as a country proves one thing it's that THE LAW IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Oh wait...

In the early 1900's Congress passed extensive labor laws designed to promote safety.  The Lochner era courts struck down those laws on the basis of substantive due process.  Tens of thousands of workers were injured or developed illnesses as a result of THE LAW.  Just because something is the law doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it safe.  The law of the land was you could work over 60 hours a week in factories that exposed you to dangerous fumes.  By your logic, we should not question the law, but blindly follow it because it is the law.

Edited by brooklynpatriot 2012-08-29 1:57 PM
2012-08-29 1:55 PM

User image

This thread is headed for awesomeness....

User image

NC

Road bike or triathlon bike?

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I ride on county roads almost exclusively, sometimes at very early / late hours in the days with proper bike lights.  However, very early Saturday / Sunday mornings when I see cars I immediately think they are heading home from partying too much the Friday or Saturday night before and I watch them very closely in my helmet mirror. 

That being said, if you are on the right side and a car comes up from behind you but cannot pass you because of another oncoming car, at least the driver can slow down until it is safe to pass.  If you are on the left side, heading into traffic and that car sees you but can not move over enough to avoid you because of oncoming traffic the driver has a couple of options:

1.  Slam on his brakes: probably won't

2. Swerve into oncoming traffic:  better not

3. Force you off the road:  most likely

4. Rely on the other driver to slow down: never going ot happen

All of these options frankly suck and I would not risk it. 

However, when I'm running on county roads, I always run on the left side because I want to see what's coming at me and running is easy to stop and get the heck out of the way.

2012-08-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4386535

User image

Goosedog - 2012-08-29 8:55 AM

How fast do I need to ride before I get the benefits of a triathlon bike?

2012-08-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4386523

User image

Wichita
brooklynpatriot - 2012-08-29 1:52 PM
GoFaster - 2012-08-29 1:42 PM

Yes because if our roughly 250 year history as a country proves one thing it's that THE LAW IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Oh wait...

In the early 1900's Congress passed extensive labor laws designed to promote safety.  The Lochner era courts struck down those laws on the basis of substantive due process.  Tens of thousands of workers were injured or developed illnesses as a result of THE LAW.  Just because something is the law doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it safe.  The law of the land was you could work over 60 hours a week in factories that exposed you to dangerous fumes.  By your logic, we should not question the law, but blindly follow it because it is the law.

I would like to hear your view on running with scissors...

2012-08-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4386541

User image

NC
tri808 - 2012-08-29 2:56 PM
Goosedog - 2012-08-29 8:55 AM

How fast do I need to ride before I get the benefits of a triathlon bike?

It depends on if you are riding in the Northern or Western hemisphere.

in reply to: #4386415

User image

Expert

Is it really that hard to figure out?  With the low post count and how blatantly idiotic this reasoning is I have to believe this is a "sock"

What is a "sock"?  This is a new term to me.

Extreme Veteran
GoFaster - 2012-08-29 2:42 PM

GoFaster,

I have not weighed in on the topic yet, but your above post makes you look like a tool.  The OP is not trying to prove one way is better or correct, and I don't believe he has commented on the fairness of the law.  He is asking an honest question of what makes the most sense on a country road.  You are the one with the troll reply.

Edited by Bodaggit 2012-08-29 2:02 PM
2012-08-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4386487

Veteran
Aarondb4 - 2012-08-29 1:40 PM

Please oh please buy a GoPro! I can't wait for the following Youtube gold!

You and your infallible logic are traveling along on the left side of the road at 20mph, a car is coming at you at 55mph so closing speed of 75mph. 10 seconds before they get to you, you decide that they are a safe driver and thus you do not need to get off the road (or onto the shoulder that doesn't exist on my country roads). 

Problem is at 75mph closing speed that car is still a long way off at 10 seconds away, what happens when they are still a ways off but only 3 seconds away and they all of a sudden turn into the bad driver that would have cause you to get off the road earlier? Either you go splat on the hood because you can't get out of the way once they turn into a bad driver too late. Or you have just enough time to swerve like hell off the road and into the grass at 20mph... on a road bike... clipped in... This is where the Youtube gold comes in, the video of you going as$ over tea kettle into the grass is going to be a good one. Make sure you have a good helmet.

And yes, breaking the law and being unpredictable gives the rest of us a bad rap. All you will do is cause frustration that drivers will either take out on you or on the next rider. So do yourself and us a favor and follow the rules.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Let's examine your hypo if I am on the right side of the road.  A guy isn't paying attention and swerves at me last second.  I am facing forward and I don't seem him and I die or I am severely injured.

Now if I'm on the left, I swerve into the grass and probably fall and get injured, I jump off my bike and get injured, I swerve onto the grass and don't fall (probably unlikely) or I get hit and die

I like option 2.

Edited by brooklynpatriot 2012-08-29 2:04 PM
2012-08-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4386561

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
brooklynpatriot - 2012-08-29 3:02 PM
Aarondb4 - 2012-08-29 1:40 PM

Please oh please buy a GoPro! I can't wait for the following Youtube gold!

You and your infallible logic are traveling along on the left side of the road at 20mph, a car is coming at you at 55mph so closing speed of 75mph. 10 seconds before they get to you, you decide that they are a safe driver and thus you do not need to get off the road (or onto the shoulder that doesn't exist on my country roads). 

Problem is at 75mph closing speed that car is still a long way off at 10 seconds away, what happens when they are still a ways off but only 3 seconds away and they all of a sudden turn into the bad driver that would have cause you to get off the road earlier? Either you go splat on the hood because you can't get out of the way once they turn into a bad driver too late. Or you have just enough time to swerve like hell off the road and into the grass at 20mph... on a road bike... clipped in... This is where the Youtube gold comes in, the video of you going as$ over tea kettle into the grass is going to be a good one. Make sure you have a good helmet.

And yes, breaking the law and being unpredictable gives the rest of us a bad rap. All you will do is cause frustration that drivers will either take out on you or on the next rider. So do yourself and us a favor and follow the rules.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Let's examine your hypo if I am on the right side of the road.  A guy isn't paying attention and swerves at me last second.  I am facing forward and I don't seem him and I die or I am severely injured.

Now if I'm on the left, I swerve into the grass and probably fall and get injured, I jump off my bike and get injured, I swerve onto the grass and don't fall (probably unlikely) or I get hit and die

I like option 2.

Use a mirror so you can see him coming if it's such a concern. Option 2 is just plain dumb.

2012-08-29 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, bad laws do get struck down - however, i live in another jurisdiction from you and we have the exact same treatment of bicycles.  So far, this law sticks.  It's been around for a long time.

Listen, the overwhelming number of posters here are with you on trying to be safe. But pretty much everyone is not with you on this specific thing.  Many of us on this site have logged many many many miles of outdoor riding and do not think that your logic holds.  I ride in a big city where there are many many many more way stressed out drivers and would not do this. 

While there is a danger from cars - not all are distracted - and i certainly hope that if you're riding in the country you're dealing with much less traffic so already your chances are lower.  Keep your wits about you, look around and follow the rules.

2012-08-29 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4386555

Veteran
siouxcityhawk - 2012-08-29 2:01 PM

Is it really that hard to figure out?  With the low post count and how blatantly idiotic this reasoning is I have to believe this is a "sock"

Calling something idiotic without providing reasons and engaging in baseless ad hominems doesn't make what I'm saying idiotic.  

Edited by brooklynpatriot 2012-08-29 2:06 PM
2012-08-29 2:06 PM

User image

Fall River, WI

If the "danger" is being hit from behind, should tractors and all other slower moving traffic drive on the wrong side of the road?

2012-08-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4386539

Veteran
siouxcityhawk - 2012-08-29 1:55 PM

I ride on county roads almost exclusively, sometimes at very early / late hours in the days with proper bike lights.  However, very early Saturday / Sunday mornings when I see cars I immediately think they are heading home from partying too much the Friday or Saturday night before and I watch them very closely in my helmet mirror. 

That being said, if you are on the right side and a car comes up from behind you but cannot pass you because of another oncoming car, at least the driver can slow down until it is safe to pass.  If you are on the left side, heading into traffic and that car sees you but can not move over enough to avoid you because of oncoming traffic the driver has a couple of options:

1.  Slam on his brakes: probably won't

2. Swerve into oncoming traffic:  better not

3. Force you off the road:  most likely

4. Rely on the other driver to slow down: never going ot happen

All of these options frankly suck and I would not risk it. 

However, when I'm running on county roads, I always run on the left side because I want to see what's coming at me and running is easy to stop and get the heck out of the way.

Or you see the car coming when you are on the left and see  that he can't get around you and you just break and pull over for a second.

2012-08-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4386535

User image

Expert
Goosedog - 2012-08-29 1:55 PM

Roadies all the way!!  Until I can afford a sweet tri bike that is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Safer to ride bike on the left side of the road in the country? Rss Feed  

of 6