Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I actually watched Honey Boo Boo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-14 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: I actually watched Honey Boo Boo

I, like everyone else, made fun of this show when I first heard about it.  I watched the 2 min trailer and rolled my eyes and moved along.

Last night my back was bothering me and I was awake super early and on the floor stretching.  Turned on the TV and it was on TLC.  Honey Boo Boo was on.  I figured, what the hell, I've really never watched it, I'll give it 10 mins.  I knew I'd hate it but i guess it was like watching a train wreck.

Dear God.  These people are not only unintelligent but they are disgusting.  Their home is filthy.  They eat like crap.  They speak to each other in ways I'd never speak to my friends let alone my family.  Their children have no boundaries.

It's an illustration of everything that is wrong with the country.  It should be a training guide as how NOT to live as a human being.  And yet they are being celebrated on reality TV.

I was completely repulsed.  Nothing on TLC is watchable.  I'm about ready to remove the entire channel from my satellite receiver.

Edited by TriRSquared 2013-01-14 2:17 PM

2013-01-14 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4577938

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: I actually watched Honey Boo Boo

TLC - The Learning Channel

Pretty sad statement right there.

2013-01-14 2:30 PM

User image

Great line from Jon Stewart

Isn't it ironic that a channel called The Learning Channel actually makes you dumber?

I've passed by it and had the same reaction you did.

2013-01-14 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
What is a Honey Boo Boo?
2013-01-14 2:35 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

And they make $15,000 an episode.......

2013-01-14 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
TriRSquared - 2013-01-14 2:16 PM

I, like everyone else, made fun of this show when I first heard about it.  I watched the 2 min trailer and rolled my eyes and moved along.

Last night my back was bothering me and I was awake super early and on the floor stretching.  Turned on the TV and it was on TLC.  Honey Boo Boo was on.  I figured, what the hell, I've really never watched it, I'll give it 10 mins.  I knew I'd hate it but i guess it was like watching a train wreck.

Dear God.  These people are not only unintelligent but they are disgusting.  Their home is filthy.  They eat like crap.  They speak to each other in ways I'd never speak to my friends let alone my family.  Their children have no boundaries.

It's an illustration of everything that is wrong with the country.  It should be a training guide as how NOT to live as a human being.  And yet they are being celebrated on reality TV.

I was completely repulsed.  Nothing on TLC is watchable.  I'm about ready to remove the entire channel from my satellite receiver.

You've probably lost some brain cells too.  I'm pretty sure I've lost a couple every time I've just flicked through the channels and that show was on.   

Honestly, I can't STAND most of the shows that are on TLC.  How are any of these shows about "learning"? 

2013-01-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4577952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Puyallup, WA
cgregg - 2013-01-14 12:21 PM

TLC - The Learning Channel

Pretty sad statement right there.

Depends on how you define learning as I have learned never to watch it again. I hope that show isn't broadcasted outside of the US along with several other shows. I could imagine what other countries would think.

2013-01-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4578000

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
blueyedbikergirl - 2013-01-14 2:40 PM

You've probably lost some brain cells too.  I'm pretty sure I've lost a couple every time I've just flicked through the channels and that show was on.   

Honestly, I can't STAND most of the shows that are on TLC.  How are any of these shows about "learning"? 

Don't Lie....I asked Tony a question the other night and he said he'd have to get back to me because you two were getting ready to head to the Chicago Chaper of the HBB Fan Club, that you are the Vice-Chair on.

2013-01-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4577985

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

bradleyd3 - 2013-01-14 2:35 PM And they make $15,000 an episode.......

Yeah, I wondered why anyone would want to look stupid on national TV...and then I figured they must be getting paid rather well for it.

2013-01-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4578012

User image

San Diego, CA
bradleyd3 - 2013-01-14 12:42 PM
blueyedbikergirl - 2013-01-14 2:40 PM

Don't Lie....I asked Tony a question the other night and he said he'd have to get back to me because you two were getting ready to head to the Chicago Chaper of the HBB Fan Club, that you are the Vice-Chair on.

Tony must be Pres. then?

2013-01-14 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

From the Wikipedia page:

The channel was founded in 1972 by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare and NASA as the Appalachian Community Service Network,[2][3] and was an informative and instructional network focused on providing real education through the medium of TV; it was distributed at no cost by NASA satellite.

More details about going private in 1981, acquisitions, etc. The mid 90's saw the real shift away from educational programming towards more "entertaining" programming. 

For any Idiocracy fans, Honey Boo Boo is another step towards "Ow! My Balls!"

2013-01-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4578187

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm not sure if this is a new phenomena (low brow shows).  Beavis and Butthead was not quite the educational show that it's made out to be.
2013-01-14 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4577977

User image

Pro

Aarondb4 - 2013-01-14 2:33 PM What is a Honey Boo Boo?

Something Asian hookers do for an extra $7.00? Love you long time?

2013-01-14 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4578187

User image

San Diego, CA
tcj103 - 2013-01-14 2:04 PM

From the Wikipedia page:

The channel was founded in 1972 by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare and NASA as the Appalachian Community Service Network,[2][3] and was an informative and instructional network focused on providing real education through the medium of TV; it was distributed at no cost by NASA satellite.

More details about going private in 1981, acquisitions, etc. The mid 90's saw the real shift away from educational programming towards more "entertaining" programming. 

For any Idiocracy fans, Honey Boo Boo is another step towards "Ow! My Balls!"

It makes much more sense now!! That is how they found her ...

2013-01-14 5:05 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
It's strange that I have never heard anything but disgust over stuff like this and the likes of the Kardashians but the media continually portrays them as if we are hanging on their every move.  Is this demand for trash contrived or are there really people that are attracted to this?
2013-01-14 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4578326

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

popsracer - 2013-01-14 6:05 PM It's strange that I have never heard anything but disgust over stuff like this and the likes of the Kardashians but the media continually portrays them as if we are hanging on their every move.  Is this demand for trash contrived or are there really people that are attracted to this?

Obviously there must be people attracted to it or why would it proliferate??  For the longest time I'd hear "Honey Boo Boo" and had no idea what ppl were talking about, and finally happened upon a trailer.  I was shocked.  Even if it's an "act" the main theme is to attract viewers who heap disgust upon the participants to somehow feel superior in their own lives.  Is this the society we want to create?  Scoffing at others so we feel better about ourselves?

Then I'd hear about the Kardashians and I was truly lost.  I still am not sure who they are, why they're famous, other than I somehow understand Bruce Jenner is married to their mother?

After watching the first ever season of Survivor, a gajillion years ago, I decided to make it my own personal public service to never watch a "reality show" to help perpetrate the madness.   Obviously I've not been successful, lol.

(I am however addicted to Downtown's Abbey as well as some other mindless TV

**Disclaimer. I have watched Doomsday Preppers and have succumbed to the scoffing "these people are lunatics" Kool-Aid that is so prevalent with reality television.

2013-01-14 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Monticello, Virginia

From the bottom of my heart, I salute you! You put yourself in harms way to save a poor soul like me from stepping in to that fetid quagmire. Your service to this community is above and beyond what a mere mortal would aspire to do. No one would willingly enter such a dark and perilous pit, But you went there and reported back to us so as to save us from the lowest level of hell. I pray that you may one day be able to vanquish the nightmare visions that I am sure you endure when you close your eyes to sleep. TriRSquared, you are a hero to this community! Bless you!

2013-01-14 7:34 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
The title of this thread completely cracked me up.
2013-01-15 1:40 AM

User image

Pro
It's 2:30am, I'm having trouble sleeping, and watching Tom and Jerry. Ah, the classics. What's really funny is my cat is sitting in front of the TV watching too.
2013-01-15 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4578500

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
T1 rider - 2013-01-14 8:11 PM

From the bottom of my heart, I salute you! You put yourself in harms way to save a poor soul like me from stepping in to that fetid quagmire. Your service to this community is above and beyond what a mere mortal would aspire to do. No one would willingly enter such a dark and perilous pit, But you went there and reported back to us so as to save us from the lowest level of hell. I pray that you may one day be able to vanquish the nightmare visions that I am sure you endure when you close your eyes to sleep. TriRSquared, you are a hero to this community! Bless you!

Never afraid to jump on the TV grenade for my fellow BTers.

2013-01-15 7:35 AM

Master
Memphis, TN

OKAY here's what you need to do to undo what you've done to your self

1)  5 hours of PBS to make up for 10 minutes of Honey Boo Boo

2)  Shower with lye soap to get rid of the forever uncleaness

3)  Possible in patient treatment

2013-01-15 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4578942

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Jtiger - 2013-01-15 8:35 AM

OKAY here's what you need to do to undo what you've done to your self

1)  5 hours of PBS to make up for 10 minutes of Honey Boo Boo

2)  Shower with lye soap to get rid of the forever uncleaness

3)  Possible in patient treatment

It's OK I've already removed the affected part of my brain with an ice cream scoop.

2013-01-15 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i was flipping channels and briefly saw part of an episode where they were eating mayonnaise out of a bowl with a a spoon.

no thanks.

2013-01-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4579131

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Clempson - 2013-01-15 10:15 AM

i was flipping channels and briefly saw part of an episode where they were eating mayonnaise out of a bowl with a a spoon.

no thanks.

That's was a healthy meal compared to what I saw.

2013-01-16 11:47 AM

Master
TriRSquared - 2013-01-14 3:16 PM

And yet they are being celebrated on reality TV.

I feel like this is the theme these days...celebrate the losers and low-lifes and do everything possible to beat down those that are successful.

RE: Reality tv...if we have the TV on in our house, we are either watching sports or Mad Men (or these car shows that my husband likes).  We have gone without cable before and were just talking about getting rid of it again.  There are hundreds of channels and NOTHING good to watch.  It feels like such a waste of time and money. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I actually watched Honey Boo Boo Rss Feed  

of 2