Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I-5 Bridge Collapse! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-23 9:49 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: I-5 Bridge Collapse!
Holy cow, North and south bound lanes are both in the water. Cars in the water. This is breaking news. I was planning on going to Seattle Saturday for a baseball game.... This is the main N to S interstate on the West Coast.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2281167/I5-bridge-collapses-into-Skagit-R...

2013-05-23 10:04 PM
in reply to: BellinghamSpence

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: I-5 Bridge Collapse!
We're watching it on the news. This is going to cause major disruption for months. We have a few trips to the Seattle area planned and I'm going to see if I can get tickets on Amtrak.
2013-05-23 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Just a fluke but I'm just watching KOMO News as I type this. Two vehicles in the water and people on top of their vehicle in fairly shallow water.
2013-05-24 12:13 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Looks like a truck with an oversize load struck girders. And thankfully no fatalities at this point.
2013-05-24 5:42 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yikes.

I lived up in Seattle for about 6 months and I recall the traffic being the worst I've ever seen.  I can't imagine how bad it's going to be with I5 down. Yell

2013-05-24 6:11 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Jeez, I really hope everyone is OK.

Does anybody else have a bridge phobia?  I always get a little queasy going over big bridges, and I get more than a little queasy if we have to stop on one.  Stories like this, NOT HELPING!

2013-05-24 6:59 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by switch

Does anybody else have a bridge phobia?  I always get a little queasy going over big bridges, and I get more than a little queasy if we have to stop on one.  Stories like this, NOT HELPING!

I'm not sure I'd call it bridge phobia, but there are some bridges I get nervous driving over.  The one that always gave me butterflies was the Coronado Bridge in San Diego.  Making me queasy just thinking about it again.

2013-05-24 9:14 AM

User image

Queen BTich

I have gephyrophobia. Just like this link says, I've been witness, or very close to being involved in several major accidents on bridges. Stories like this make me pretty upset. Many of our bridges aren't safe, or don't have high enough walls.

For me, over land doesn't bother me as much. If I, or my vehicle, goes over...splat. Done. No big deal. Over water...I have a terribly intense fear of going over in an accident and being trapped in my car, drowning.

I grew up on an island. We had 2 ways out: east by 30min ferry, or a major bridge. There were many accidents, including a school bus when I was a young child. I wasn't on it, but the news coverage was intense. We drive many big, long bridges down here...I often drive with my windows cracked, enough to get my hands out, when over the bridges (you can push the window down in the water if there is a crack).

http://www.phobiasource.com/gephyrophobia-the-fear-of-crossing-brid...
2013-05-24 9:14 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Queen BTich

]

I'm not sure I'd call it bridge phobia, but there are some bridges I get nervous driving over.  The one that always gave me butterflies was the Coronado Bridge in San Diego.  Making me queasy just thinking about it again.

Ha! Yes, I kept my window ALL the way down over that one! At least it's high enough that you'd probably die on impact.
2013-05-24 9:27 AM

User image

Pro

My kids hold their breath when we go over any bridge, something they've been doing for as long as I remember....tunnels too.  I always tell them that they'll be out of breath when the bridge collapses and we go in to the drink. Cool

I'm glad nobody was killed in this deal.

2013-05-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
The old Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC was a scary bridge to drive over. When you'd stop on it for traffic, you'd hear it moaning and swaying. I'm glad they got rid of her.

I also built and repaired bridges in the Marine Corps. Mostly Baileys, Medium-Girder Bridges, and Float Bridges, but some non-standard ones as well. I was always the first to drive across to make sure it was good.

I would think they can have a float bridge across the river for I-5 to reopen sometime today. You can open float bridges every few hours to allow boats through.

2013-05-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: tuwood

Master
, California
Originally posted by tuwood

Yikes.

I lived up in Seattle for about 6 months and I recall the traffic being the worst I've ever seen.  I can't imagine how bad it's going to be with I5 down. Yell

This bridge is about halfway between Seattle and Canada, so pretty far north where the traffic isn't normally so thick.  It won't really affect people commuting in Seattle itself.  They'll probably reroute it to Highway 9 but that's going to suck if you live up there near Mount Vernon.

It's lucky the water level wasn't too high right now.  That river is cold and dangerous.

2013-05-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by spudone

Yikes.

This bridge is about halfway between Seattle and Canada, so pretty far north where the traffic isn't normally so thick.  It won't really affect people commuting in Seattle itself.  They'll probably reroute it to Highway 9 but that's going to suck if you live up there near Mount Vernon.

It's lucky the water level wasn't too high right now.  That river is cold and dangerous.

Yeah, the water level was considerably higher about a week ago.

I have an employee that lives south of the area that just got to work after going through the detours and she said it wasn't as bad as she thought. About a 45 minute delay. Coming north, she was routed onto College Way, then Burlington Boulevard. and back on I-5 at HWY 20. I thought the delay would be at least double that. Maybe a lot of people are using it as an excuse to start the long weekend. I heard that border traffic is very, very light so that will help southbound.
2013-05-24 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Only bridge that I have crossed that makes me nervous is the Sunshine Skyway, a most aptly named bridge. 

Good to see that no one was seriously hurt.     

Edited by MadMathemagician 2013-05-24 12:11 PM
2013-05-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I was never nervous driving over the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis, but should have been. Now I feel pretty confident that if any bridge is well built, the new 35W bridge is the one.

After that collapsed I was nervous about driving across any bridge and was anxious if I had to wait for a light while on a bridge. That fear still remains, although I don't always think about it like I used to.

I am also very nervous about being stuck under a bridge/overpass as in rush hour traffic. It's made worse by having the time to look at the various steel plates, nuts and bolts holding it together.

Driving over the 7-mile bridge to Key West I always think that if it collapsed, it would be okay. It's very close to the water at most points and the water itself is beautiful.

I am very glad to hear there are no fatalities in this one!
2013-05-24 12:45 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Driving over the 7-mile bridge to Key West I always think that if it collapsed, it would be okay. It's very close to the water at most points and the water itself is beautiful.

What if Arnold was flying a Harrier and shooting missiles at you as you were driving on it? That would worry me...

2013-05-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl It's made worse by having the time to look at the various RUSTING steel plates, nuts and bolts holding it together. QUOTE]

Fixed that.

I'm completely white-knuckled going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, especially the eastbound span where it looks like you could bump the jersey wall and go through.  4.4 miles of terror.  Surprised

2013-05-24 1:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by Left Brain

My kids hold their breath when we go over any bridge, something they've been doing for as long as I remember....tunnels too.  I always tell them that they'll be out of breath when the bridge collapses and we go in to the drink. Cool

I'm glad nobody was killed in this deal.

I suppose if you find them particularly annoying one day, you could take them over the Danyang-Kunshan Grand Bridge.

2013-05-24 1:23 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm sure you all have heard at one time or another about how dismal our bridge system is.  I'm in the industry and get reports from NHTSA about how a significant percentage are structurally deficient.

Most of them were completed during the end of the babby boom era when there was a big expansion due to the creation of the international highway system and federal aid highway act in 1956.  The average age of our bridges are close to 50 years old - many without regular maintenance.

That's what sucks when you build a bunch of stuff a the same time - a big rush.  They all ware out at the same time and have to be replaced at the same time.  Most construction projects only have a projected life of 50 years...  Yikes.

2013-05-24 3:38 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
man.... glad no one was hurt and we know what the cause was

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/I-5-Skagit-River-bridge-collapse...

I've been over that bridge a lot of times and know a handful or so others that cross it weekly or daily in a few cases.
2013-05-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

So crazy. I've been over that bridge so many times.

There's a lot of people heading down to the Gorge for the Sasquatch festival this weekend. I guess it's going to be busy.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I-5 Bridge Collapse! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

the 'Collapse' fuction on the planned training log

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 543 Posts: 1

2009-05-28 6:35 PM ultrahip_00

Would riding on this bridge scare you?

Started by pigfinn
Views: 1522 Posts: 17

2008-06-09 4:30 PM condorman

The collapse is coming, boys and girls

Started by Spokes
Views: 1026 Posts: 19

2008-04-30 7:10 PM Itsacon

Bridge loans

Started by kimj81
Views: 715 Posts: 6

2008-01-24 7:48 AM matt3liv

Holy CRAP! Bad bridge collapse in Minneapolis

Started by Spokes
Views: 1108 Posts: 19

2007-08-02 11:38 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 24, 2005
This program is an advanced plan to bridge you from a Sprint to an Olympic Distance triathlon with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is 14 hours in week 5.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
comments : 1
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.