General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Goddard, Kansas
United States
Kansas River Valley Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 43m 19s
Overall Rank = 49/55
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

My last race (a 15k run) was an emotional disaster, so I was a little nervous about doing this race. I think it was all the more important that I do it, however, so I never really considered bagging it. Still, I was hoping for a more positive experience, and I realized that my attitude controlled that. So I worked really hard to remain positive.

The race was on a Sunday morning, and my family and I were scheduled to ride Amtrak to Chicago the next morning at 2:30 a.m., so I was a little stressed about that. I do most of my races solo now, so I got myself up at about 4:45 a.m. and was out the door by 5:15 . . . in a downpour and lightening. Sheesh. I am thinking that I have the worst luck with these Oly races. I had three scheduled this summer, and only one of them has been complete. The whole drive I am praying that the weather clears up so that we can race, and maybe even swim.

I ate a waffle with peanut butter and drank a coffee on the way to the race.

I get to the race, and it's still raining, with lightning in the distance. But everyone is proceeding as planned, so I do too.
Event warmup:

We were supposed to begin swimming at about 7:00 a.m., but the RD delayed the swim for 30 minutes, to reassess. He announced that he could delay up to two hours before cancelling, and that concerned a number of us. It was going to be a hot day, once the weather broke, and starting an Oly at 9:00 a.m. didn't sound fun.

In any case, getting into the water wasn't a possibility, so basically to warm up, I walked back and forth to my car carting my stuff to transition and then other stuff back from transition.

At about 7:25, the life guards headed to the lake, so I knew we were going to do this thing. However, the bike course was shortened because the RD didn't want all of us spread all over the place in case the next front arrived and he had to pull us off.

He made the right call because it can get nasty here fast. Just this past Monday when Jayson and I were coming back from Wichita on K-96, the weather turned so bad so fast, that I had to pull over and wait it out. I could not see a thing. I would not want to ride in that or end up waiting along side of the road, unseen, hoping someone would come get me before a car hit me.
Swim
  • 40m 33s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh, my. As if my swimming couldn't get worse. I love OWS, so this was very disappointing. But I should have known I would have issues.

1) Cloudy/overcast sky
2) Foggy goggles
3) Buoys on the right, when I breathe to the left

When I was able to just swim, I think I was doing pretty well, but I had to stop and clear my goggles too many times. And I couldn't just glance up to sight if I really wanted to see anything because I couldn't see anything. I got off track a little (which I never do) because I couldn't see the buoys even when I did breathe to the right. I almost turned around in the wrong spot because I honestly couldn't see the next buoys. I actually started turning and then realized that the people in front of me were still going. I decided to trust them, even after wiping my goggles off, because I could not see the next buoy. And this with my contacts in. It was just horrible.

There was a lot of contact for me in this swim, maybe because I couldn't see anyone. I never got whacked (or whacked anyone) super hard, but there were blows exchanged. I was also able to experiment a little with drafting, and that was nice.

Heading south was slow going because we had some mild chop/waves, but heading back north at the turn around was amazingly fast.

I wasn't the last person out of the water. Win.
What would you do differently?:

1) Work on breathing more efficiently on the right.
2) Get new goggles or try the spray spit. (Real spit doesn't work on these goggles. Believe me. I tried.)
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

We exited the water and had a short run up to transition. The other woman in my age group passed me on this run up to the bikes. That pissed me off. On the other hand. She had a worse swim than I did.

Other than that, I think this was pretty speedy. I didn't waste any time, and just got out on the bike as quickly as I could.

Run faster upon exiting the water.
Bike
  • 56m 10s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

The road surface was wet, so the RD had cautioned us about going too quickly. Well, that's fine when you are a fast rider, but when you are a rider like I am . . . I wasn't going to slow down. I am slow enough.

The other woman in my age group passed me on the bike after we left transition. I had to let her go, but my goal was to at least keep her in sight thinking that if I didn't let her get too far away, I could catch her on the run. That is usually what happens. But remember, she passed me on the run up to transition. Hmmm. I forgot about that on the bike.

So I'm just biking away, and the course is mostly flat with a couple rollers and what I would call hills, but I'm doing okay. I'm passing a few people and being passed by a few people, but I'm not letting it bother me. My goal for this race was to have a good attitude, so I tried not to beat myself up too much or let my mind start fretting about everything.

I made a nice turn around, and headed back to the lake. The hill climb seemed worse in this direction, and I remember noticing that as I was sailing down the hill to the turn around -- that riders were struggling. So I just settled in and repeated "Climb. Relax. Climb. Relax." Until I was up and over the top. Hooray! I'm "hammering" (for me) down the hills and rollers because I must keep moving to make up for my sucky climbing. A couple women and I played leap frog on the rollers. They would pass me going up, and then I would sail past them going down. We were laughing about it. Ha ha ha. I suck at climbing. Hysterical.

But what is this I see???? About two miles from the lake, I see the other woman in my age group. She is not looking strong. Wow. I cannot believe my good fortune. I pass her, and I can kind of tell that it pisses her off. I hammer through into the park, and then I take a turn a little too fast and get nervous. By this time it has started to sprinkle, so the roads are getting wetter again. I decide to play it cautious on the turns in the park, and she flies past me. I loved that. Just loved it. Gutsy.

Well, for me this was a great ride. I was really pumped up about it going into the run because with the pace I've been training at this summer, I maintained a good pace in this race. I really don't know what's up with my biking this year. It's just horrible. Really pitiful.

So, I would really like to get faster on the bike. I'm pretty fearless while not being reckless, so I think I could mentally go faster if I could get my legs to do it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

So she beat me into transition, and flew out a few seconds ahead of me. I'm still delusional thinking I will catch her because I always catch women in my age group on the run. Always.

I don't know why this took me over a minute. I guess I fumbled with my shoes a little, and they both ended up coming untied at different times on the run, so I guess I just wasn't moving well.

Move faster. I don't know. This transition is not very complicated, so 90 seconds is really ridiculously slow.
Run
  • 1h 04m 4s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time, the rain is coming down, and while the bike was east/west, the run seemed primarily south/north. So it was blisteringly hot running north, even with rain on my back. I was so relieved to turn and run into the wind/rain because it helped to cool me down. It just seemed so hot/humid/wet.

And where is that woman??? I'm looking and looking for her, waiting to pass her, and I see her coming the other way. And she looks good. That surprised me. She looked heavier than I am, so I just assumed . . . Wrong. She beat me on the run by nearly 2 mins/mile. I didn't have a prayer of catching her. Ever.

I realized that on my second loop. We passed each other for the last time, and she did not look good, but I had also figured out by then that she wasn't going to crumble. Well, good for her. So now, I'm just trying to keep going myself. And not be last.

The sweeper came through the course while I was about 1.5 miles away from finishing and asked me if I was on my first or second loop. Good God, I thought. But I said, "Second." And he said, "Good!" The way I was feeling, I couldn't have done another loop, even if this one had been my first. I was done.

I had to stop and tie my shoes. Twice. Annoying. I ran through all of the water stops, save one. It was a tough run. It shouldn't have been, but I'm just not used to heat and humidity. Heat okay. I can manage that. But by time I was on my last loop, the rain was coming down pretty good, and the air was thick.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked as quickly as I could to the restroom. Ahhhh. My bladder is happy. I ate half a banana and drank more water. Cleaned up my transition spot, and then waited around for the awards, thinking that I might get an AG award. I wasn't sure how many were in my AG. Just the two of us.

I then drove to Hutch and met Hubby and Jayson at Qdoba. Yummy steak quesadilla. I started crashing a little, but I made it home safely, in a downpour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am competitive, but I don't train like a competitor. Time. Effort. I wouldn't say that I phone my workouts in, but I definitely could push harder. But then I would risk injury. So I play it on the safe side.

Event comments:

I really loved this race. However, I don't think the AG awards are necessary in this small of a field. Like my 12 year old son said when I showed him my 2nd place medal. "Good for you!! You tried!!!" (with a sarcastic two thumbs up.) Yep. Doesn't mean too much.

Last updated: 2013-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:33 | 1500 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2xu two piece tri suit
Course: two loops along the shore. Very shallow (for most people). I couldn't stand everywhere, but I'm a midget. We started in the water, and I was treading . . . because I'm short.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:10 | 16 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 8 miles out and back, running west/east. Thankfully. The winds were out of the south, so we didn't have to contend with any head wind. And I'm used to cross wind, so no problem there.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:04 | 06.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops through the campground/park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-24 1:00 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-07-24 3:00 AM
in reply to: #4812399

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course
Good job Felicia!  Too bad about the shortened bike, it sucks when weather gets in the way of racing!
2013-07-24 4:56 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Good job at the race!
2013-07-24 6:14 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Nice job with the weather and the race. It makes me smile that you "loved" the other woman passing you in the bike while you were being a little cautious:) Lovely spirit. You can also be proud off that AG medal--you showed up in the thunder and lightning and you raced!
2013-07-24 6:28 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Elite

Sounds good, more positive than last time - baby steps.  I dunno why we beat ourselves up so much - we are doing so well!

Your son's thumbs up sarcastic 'you tried' - well I did have a chuckle.

2013-07-24 6:28 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Payson, AZ
Hey man, I take my medals when I can get them.  lol  You still showed up and raced over all the women that didn't. 

2013-07-24 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Felicia, this is 180* from your last race, and for that you should be happy. Improvements, especially mental ones, are really important. Great job! Continue riding and pushing and it will get better.
2013-07-24 7:02 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Nicely done Felicia. You had quite a few "wins" in this race in addition to the AG award. Mental strength is even more important in smaller races imo. Great job taking the day delivered and turning it into a success!
2013-07-24 8:23 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice job!  I'm so happy that you were able to get the swim in that you are happy with your bike.  Way to go!

Have you considered Lock Laces or similar?

2013-07-24 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Nice race, Felicia!

For the record, I'm with Kim....I take my medals where I can get them!  If that's because I'm only one of two in the AG, so be it!  Be proud that you put yourself out there (in crap conditions AGAIN!!), had a great attitude through the whole thing, and conquered.

2013-07-24 9:35 AM

Master
Northern IL
Nice going Felicia!

2013-07-24 9:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Glad you've found your mojo, now, if you could point me in the direction of mine, that would be most helpful.
2013-07-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Way to go Felicia! 

I think you found a great balance of being competitive but not reckless in the conditions - and what great spirit to love the fact that someone went by you by being risky. 

FYI - I've always been taught to spin on the uphills and crank on the downhills, so you're doing it right! 

2013-07-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT race. BTW, try baby shampoo in your goggles. I do it prior to every swim and it is fine, jut squirt some in, use your fingers to spread it around and rinse it out. I really siwh I could swim like you and be comfortable in the water. Well done! Thanks for posting
2013-07-24 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow. Sorry your race was shortened but it sounds like you made the best of it.

I loved your comments about the climbing and the sweeper. Gee, I wonder where Jayson gets his sarcasm?!

Both you and Melanie mentioned a waffle with pb. Might have to give that a try as a pre-race breakfast.

Great race and a very engaging RR. I wish I hadn't looked at your AG placing before I read the detail. It would've made the race with the other AG lady nail biting Laughing (I have a lot of the same thoughts you do during races and about training)

2013-07-24 3:40 PM

User image

Love your RR Felicia and great race, all things considered. I take my AG medals wherever I can find them, at this stage of my racing "career". Good luck in your next race!

Best, Tim

2013-07-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: barrld21

User image

Melon Presser

Tough race, nasty weather, but you were tougher

And it's clear you know what you want to work on for next time.

2013-07-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Racing tests your character, and you passed with flying colors.  

My kids always remark on my being first or second loser if I medal in 2nd or 3rd (sarcasm is inherited, evidently), but a medal is a medal is a medal is a medal.  If there had been more racers that finished ahead of you, then there would have been more racers that finished ahead of you, so take the medal and celebrate that you were out there competing!  Laughing

Hope you catch a break with weather on your next race, for sure!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mudwater Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Lisa Sanford
Views: 1342 Posts: 2

2013-07-24 8:07 AM KansasMom

Mudwater Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by npenner02
Views: 980 Posts: 1

2013-07-15 4:30 PM npenner02

Started by Alekssdunn
Views: 1166 Posts: 3

2013-07-24 8:04 AM KansasMom

Started by culprd
Views: 900 Posts: 1

2012-07-08 12:06 PM culprd

Started by esommer
Views: 979 Posts: 1

2011-07-11 8:17 PM esommer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.