General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Ironman to couch potato Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-02 11:32 AM

Subject: From Ironman to couch potato
Hey everyone,

I have gone from an ironman to a couch potato with little motivation. I finished the Ironman Arizona four years ago and have done nothing sense. I thought I would take a break from the grueling training and see what I wanted to do next. Well, nothing came except for the lbs. I hung my bike in my garage and it still has my race number from IM Arizona 2009 on it. How pathetic is that? I need some opinions out there on how to lose 30 lbs as quick as possible. Once I lose the weight, I don't think I will have a problem keeping it off because I hate the way that I look and feel now. Please share opinions because I need to get going ASAP. Thanks guys.

Greg S in Houston

2013-08-02 11:41 AM
in reply to: grega2s

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: From Ironman to couch potato

Originally posted by grega2s Hey everyone, I have gone from an ironman to a couch potato with little motivation. I finished the Ironman Arizona four years ago and have done nothing sense. I thought I would take a break from the grueling training and see what I wanted to do next. Well, nothing came except for the lbs. I hung my bike in my garage and it still has my race number from IM Arizona 2009 on it. How pathetic is that? I need some opinions out there on how to lose 30 lbs as quick as possible. Once I lose the weight, I don't think I will have a problem keeping it off because I hate the way that I look and feel now. Please share opinions because I need to get going ASAP. Thanks guys. Greg S in Houston

Step one = get off the couch!

Sometimes it's the hardest thing to do, but once you get that feeling of having sweated and done a great workout, it's amazing how quickly you want to go back and do another workout.

Step two = sign up for something.  Anything.  Whether it's a 5km fun run, a sprint tri, or whatever... once you've put money down on something, you're going to want to be ready for it. 

Step three = eat healthier... now I have NO idea what your current eating habits are so feel free to completely throw this one out the window, but I know that most people could probably eat a bit cleaner than they already are. 

You can do it, but you've got to get your own butt off the couch first - no one here can make you take that first step, only you can do that. 

2013-08-02 11:44 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by grega2s

Hey everyone,

I have gone from an ironman to a couch potato with little motivation. I finished the Ironman Arizona four years ago and have done nothing sense. I thought I would take a break from the grueling training and see what I wanted to do next. Well, nothing came except for the lbs. I hung my bike in my garage and it still has my race number from IM Arizona 2009 on it. How pathetic is that? I need some opinions out there on how to lose 30 lbs as quick as possible. Once I lose the weight, I don't think I will have a problem keeping it off because I hate the way that I look and feel now. Please share opinions because I need to get going ASAP. Thanks guys.

Greg S in Houston

Losing that much weight that quickly? Try "purging". Okay, on the serious side - find a group or another person to hang with that can get you motivated, then start out slowly on the exercise regimen. Eat healthier - stop buying crap food.

You took the first step and identified the "issue" and then posted here looking for assistance. That's the 1st step! Welcome back! Now, get going!
2013-08-02 11:56 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

What motivated you the last time around? Try to remember the feelings associated with the successes that you had. Try to remember how your body felt when it moved freely and with strength.
2013-08-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

Plano, TX
Originally posted by happyscientist

What motivated you the last time around? Try to remember the feelings associated with the successes that you had. Try to remember how your body felt when it moved freely and with strength.

x2

Good luck to you, OP. I know my motivation comes from just having a race (or races now) on the calendar. If I didn't have something on the calendar, I wouldn't get up to exercise...it doesn't make any sense because I love the feeling I have of being pretty fit, but it's not enough to get me up to workout. As the others said, sounds like you've begun the process to get yourself on your way. If you've done IMAZ, you're obviously capable of following through with things you set your mind to, so let this be the next challenge!
2013-08-02 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Sign up for an Ironman. Nothing gets you motivated more than dropping $700 on a race entry.

2013-08-02 12:36 PM
in reply to: mroger82

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I hear ya.  IMAZ last November and probably can count on my hands and toes the number of times I have trained s/b/r since then.
2013-08-02 12:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by grega2s

I need some opinions out there on how to lose 30 lbs as quick as possible.

I have had really good luck with the MyFitnessPal app. I hate seeing red (over my limit) calories at the end of the day and that motivates me to either watch what I am eating more carefully and/or exercise more. Along with that I rely on exercise to increase the number of calories I get in a day so I don't feel like I am staving myself. Also, it tends to over estimate exercise calories based on my experience so I use Garmin or another method (CaloriesPerHour.com has a good calculator) of adjusting the calories down when I enter exercise.

Good luck!
2013-08-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Hey, thanks for posting this. As the old saying goes, the first step is admitting you have a problem

Good advice given so far. I agree 100% with signing up for a race ASAP. And I wouldn't focus on a rapid weight loss. I'd focus on just getting moving. Start slow. The IM training you did probably is intimidating to you at this point, so don't think about doing that kind of volume--maybe ever again. That's OK.

2013-08-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

Originally posted by k1200rsvt
Originally posted by grega2s I need some opinions out there on how to lose 30 lbs as quick as possible.
I have had really good luck with the MyFitnessPal app. I hate seeing red (over my limit) calories at the end of the day and that motivates me to either watch what I am eating more carefully and/or exercise more. Along with that I rely on exercise to increase the number of calories I get in a day so I don't feel like I am staving myself. Also, it tends to over estimate exercise calories based on my experience so I use Garmin or another method (CaloriesPerHour.com has a good calculator) of adjusting the calories down when I enter exercise. Good luck!

Ditto - I'm down a good 30-40 pouinds in the last year, year and a half, using MFP.  I wouldn't look to lose ASAP though, aim for a pound or two a week and you're more likely to keep it off.

2013-08-02 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
small steps from here.

mentally you have a block from all the training/racing trauma....but you've got to convince yourself it's not torment, and you can step back in the arena.

do it on your terms, not some coach or training plan...just do what you want....but get out and do something..even if it's walking...

then try running a bit, trail run, find a new cool spot to run...

same with biking..do you mountain bike ? try something new.

I'm just suggesting things that may be a fresh start for you and avoid bringing back the things that traumatized you...at least bring them back on your terms.

2013-08-02 1:35 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I agree with the idea of signing up for anything you can.

I was 296lbs when I signed up for a 5k run and my first training run lasted 1.2k before I had to walk.

Best decision I ever made getting started.

In the next month I know I will weigh in at 246 or lower. Which proves a solid couch MASTER, a TV and games addict, and a beer/martini/scotch/whatever fiend can drop 50lbs. FIFTY.

Slow runs were the key for me. Then later adding a bike commute.

Do it.
2013-08-02 2:04 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

Great ideas from everyone. Thanks god I did not get the m dot tattoo on my calf like I was planning on doing. People would see me running my 12 minute miles and say "Yeah Right". I might get it when I lose the weight and it will be a constant reminder that I did something awesome but again that I can't let myself get like this again. Thanks again.

Greg
2013-08-02 2:19 PM

User image

My advice to you is to take a good honest look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why you have not been active the last 4 years.  Until you can answer that question for yourself, trying to pick a random solution like signing up for a race is not going to solve the problem long term.

Training or being active is a CHOICE.  Everytime we make a choice, there is a reason behind it.  If you can figure out the reasons why you chose not to be active, and address them, it then becomes much more easy to choose to be active. 

For example, if you chose to be inactive for 4 years because of work/career...then signing up for a race at this point likely won't change anything if your focus is still on your job.  But if you're willing to back off your work schedule a bit, then all of a sudden it becomes easier to choose to be active during your free time. 

If you chose to be inactive because you thought watching TV and drinking beer was more fun than training, then you have to address you issues with television and beer first.  Etc, etc.

2013-08-02 3:22 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I am right there with you!!!! Did IM in 2008, and have been only sporadically training here and there. it's been nice to hang with my family though I think that finally this year I am back on board, but it took some soul searching and figuring out what my personal goals were.

So...I recommend figuring out your goals, and then sign up for something that you REALLY want to do. And start small! I think it's easy after having done an IM to think "of course I can pull off a half marathon in 4 weeks" but then getting discouraged at the lost fitness level.
Lastly, don't think of training as competitive...think of it as healthy, helping your long term health and quality of life, etc.
good luck!
2013-08-02 3:38 PM
in reply to: Jason N

The most important thing for you to consider is that triathlon may not be the way back for you. But you have to find something that you love to do (other than the things that make you fat). I was about 50 pounds less in 2006 and competing well in my age group. New job, new child, new home and I decided to take a break. Long break. I tried more than a few times to get back into it. I have done a marathon, a HIM, and a number of other races but my heart was not in it and I didn't train knowing that I could finish and the demotivation was actually knowing that I was not going to go as fast as I had previously so why train too hard when food tastes great and beer is amazing. I finally got to the point last November when I was sitting in a hotel room for work and saw my belly in the mirror. I had tricked myself into thinking it was not that bad despite my wife making fun of me relentlessly in hopes of motivating me to do something. I tried different stuff over the past 6-9 months but my desire to eat whatever I want and go out with the boys and get hammered was still more important. 2 steps forward and a step back a few times then 3 back all at once left me back at square one. Finally, my kids' swim team had a coaches versus parents relay. Although all the other parents were impressed with my skills, I was embarrassed to take my shirt off in a large crowd and got outtouched by a kid half my age with windmill arms. Totally pissed me off. I joined masters the next day (because I cannot swim on my own). Three weeks of getting up at 5:00 and going to swim practice every morning and now I am sore as hell but my love handles are gone and keeping up with the leader of the fast lane. I know that by the end of this month I will be dusting everyone in the pool and old windmill arms doesn't stand a chance next summer. I am a swimmer, that is what I do. And I haven't been this happy to be in a pool since I was a teenager.

If I tried to run again, my feet and back would hurt because I am carrying way too much weight...and i would quit. If I got in the saddle, my knees would hurt because I am too fat right now...and I would quit. Can't play basketball, no time for tennis, and the gym just plain sucks. I wake up every morning and know that I am going to get to race someone on my terms. If my shoulder hurts, I dog it. If not, I will either beat the guy next to me or know that I tried as hard as I could before tiring out. Tri training is tough because 90% of the time, you are by yourself. Which is fine if you are in good shape or motivated. But it is really hard if you don't want to be there and the smallest voice in your head telling you to stop will win. So find something you love to do. Hopefully somewhere with a group to motivate you. If and when you are ready to tri again, you will. But you have to lose the weight first and enjoy what you are doing in the process.

2013-08-02 3:55 PM
in reply to: notadr34

User image

Originally posted by notadr34 The most important thing for you to consider is that triathlon may not be the way back for you. But you have to find something that you love to do (other than the things that make you fat). I was about 50 pounds less in 2006 and competing well in my age group. New job, new child, new home and I decided to take a break. Long break. I tried more than a few times to get back into it. I have done a marathon, a HIM, and a number of other races but my heart was not in it and I didn't train knowing that I could finish and the demotivation was actually knowing that I was not going to go as fast as I had previously so why train too hard when food tastes great and beer is amazing. I finally got to the point last November when I was sitting in a hotel room for work and saw my belly in the mirror. I had tricked myself into thinking it was not that bad despite my wife making fun of me relentlessly in hopes of motivating me to do something. I tried different stuff over the past 6-9 months but my desire to eat whatever I want and go out with the boys and get hammered was still more important. 2 steps forward and a step back a few times then 3 back all at once left me back at square one. Finally, my kids' swim team had a coaches versus parents relay. Although all the other parents were impressed with my skills, I was embarrassed to take my shirt off in a large crowd and got outtouched by a kid half my age with windmill arms. Totally pissed me off. I joined masters the next day (because I cannot swim on my own). Three weeks of getting up at 5:00 and going to swim practice every morning and now I am sore as hell but my love handles are gone and keeping up with the leader of the fast lane. I know that by the end of this month I will be dusting everyone in the pool and old windmill arms doesn't stand a chance next summer. I am a swimmer, that is what I do. And I haven't been this happy to be in a pool since I was a teenager. If I tried to run again, my feet and back would hurt because I am carrying way too much weight...and i would quit. If I got in the saddle, my knees would hurt because I am too fat right now...and I would quit. Can't play basketball, no time for tennis, and the gym just plain sucks. I wake up every morning and know that I am going to get to race someone on my terms. If my shoulder hurts, I dog it. If not, I will either beat the guy next to me or know that I tried as hard as I could before tiring out. Tri training is tough because 90% of the time, you are by yourself. Which is fine if you are in good shape or motivated. But it is really hard if you don't want to be there and the smallest voice in your head telling you to stop will win. So find something you love to do. Hopefully somewhere with a group to motivate you. If and when you are ready to tri again, you will. But you have to lose the weight first and enjoy what you are doing in the process.

Great story and sort of what I was alluding to.  If someone can do an IM and then be inactive for 4 years, maybe tri training isn't the best solution for them since there may not have been a desire to train s/b/r.

The OP, or others in his situation might find that spin classes at the gym are what gets them motivated now.  Or hiking, mountain biking, paddle boarding, etc.  Or gawd forbid...crossfit.  LOL.

2013-08-02 3:58 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Originally posted by COgirl I am right there with you!!!! Did IM in 2008, and have been only sporadically training here and there. it's been nice to hang with my family though I think that finally this year I am back on board, but it took some soul searching and figuring out what my personal goals were. So...I recommend figuring out your goals, and then sign up for something that you REALLY want to do. And start small! I think it's easy after having done an IM to think "of course I can pull off a half marathon in 4 weeks" but then getting discouraged at the lost fitness level. Lastly, don't think of training as competitive...think of it as healthy, helping your long term health and quality of life, etc. good luck!

Welcome back, we missed you 

2013-08-02 9:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Put on your speedo and look at yourself in a mirror. Do you want to look like that? I didn't think so. As others have said, don't think about the "fast lose," just start moving in the right direction. You may never do another IM. So what? I never have done anything longer than an HIM, and probably won't ever be able to say I am an Ironman. You can. Turn off the TV, and stay off the Internet (except for a little BT motivation!).
2013-08-02 9:26 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Lots of good ideas in here already about motivation etc. I have nothing to add to that.

For the practicality of losing the pounds, my experience was that biking was the easiest way to lose weight (in addition to monitoring food intake and quality, of course). It's hard to burn a lot of calories when you're starting out less fit, especially in running, because ramping up too fast will get you injured. But you can quickly get to the point where you can do long and/or regular rides, indoors or out, that will burn up a lot of the fat. That's how I lost most of my 50 lbs. After which I was able to start running again.
2013-08-02 10:58 PM

User image

New user

As others have said - don't focus on losing the weight quickly, look for a pound or two per week max. The main thing is to find something to motivate you - My wife and have each lost more weight than you are hoping to - we started with a couch to 5K plan and watched what we were eating - then we started doing local 5K races - added duathlon and finally Triathlon.
Just remember - short course is not a crime - you can have a lot of fun while training 6-10 hours a week. I can't tell you the number of Ironman competitors I have talked to with a story similar to yours - My wife and I are doing sprints and oly's and having a blast. You can win your age group in the morning and still go dancing that night.

2013-08-03 4:25 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
MA

Greg this thread hits home with me. I came to the same spot as you in a different way.

After 4 years of doing IMs each each, I haven't raced since my last at IMFL in 2011 or trained much. My reasons for the break are different than yours,  I had some major medical stuff with big knee surgery having Lyme and other tick born infection with IV antibiotics for 8 months and my parents both died last year.

After 20 months of not doing much, having some lingering joint issues, I can swim and bike now, but lack motivation to do it. I like having a big goal and for now doing an IM isn't an option with my knees. I'm trying to get excited to do Aquabikes which can be pretty cool. I'm signed up for one end of August. 

Part of the draw to IM and triathlons is to challenge myself. With the status of my knees, I know my fastest times are behind me, and I won't be running like I was. For me getting excited to do something worse (slower)  isn't working. I know I should look at the new me and find goals for the now not the past.

I do know in the last couple IM training years, I with motivation to train at times part due to underlying infection I had and also my focus in the wrong place.

I love to ride my bike, swimming meh not so much. I like structure, discipline, and lifestyle of doing IMs but need to find another way to get that mojo back and find the love of it in an unstructured way. Not exercising is bad for me in many levels....mentally, physically and more. I gained weight and that makes it all worse as I feel like I let myself down and lost much of what I gained.

I need to find my way and for me signing up for just any race hasn't done it.

2013-08-07 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Originally posted by Jason N

My advice to you is to take a good honest look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why you have not been active the last 4 years.  Until you can answer that question for yourself, trying to pick a random solution like signing up for a race is not going to solve the problem long term.

Training or being active is a CHOICE.  Everytime we make a choice, there is a reason behind it.  If you can figure out the reasons why you chose not to be active, and address them, it then becomes much more easy to choose to be active. 

^^^THIS

Know the reason WHY and the path will come to you. Without a reason, there is no way to sustain activity. Maybe being active is not all about S/B/R but finding something else that speaks to you like Ironman did in 2009. Maybe paddle boarding, maybe kayaking, maybe some other fun thing that you have always wanted to try.

But most importantly - find the reason and reconnect with your desires long term. Your goals and desires may have changed over the past 4 years. That is OK! Find what speaks to you and give it a shot. The weight loss will come when you are on the right path.

Edited by })i({RunnerGirl 2013-08-07 9:31 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Ironman to couch potato Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Highest Sperm Count Favors Athletes Over Couch Potatoes

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1297 Posts: 8

2013-02-06 9:27 AM trinnas

(300 pounds on the) Couch to Half Ironman in 6 months Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by quasimodo63
Views: 26512 Posts: 83

2013-02-06 10:08 AM nicruns

Couch potato to Ironman in 30 weeks? yeah right... Pages: 1 2

Started by Triceratops
Views: 4511 Posts: 45

2010-05-05 10:36 PM velcromom

Scientists study on couch potatoes

Started by cobannero
Views: 831 Posts: 7

2005-01-29 3:47 PM slow&steady

Couch Potato to Iron Man

Started by kepola
Views: 1266 Posts: 8

2005-01-21 5:00 PM kepola
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Many athletes burn far fewer calories than they realize; they are actually couch potatoes the majority of the day. These seemingly active people can be surprisingly sedentary.

date : January 14, 2008
author : BARitzenthaler
comments : 8
How quickly I have fallen from the ranks of the quasi-fit. Last week, after four years of being a couch potato, the stats were not so good.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : September 4, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Athletes have a different biochemistry than unfit people. Athletes are unlikely to experience an insulin surge that leads to overeating and “getting fat” from enjoying a potato with dinner.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.