General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter is Coming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-14 12:16 PM

User image

Subject: Winter is Coming
...which means we're all going to be spending a lot more time on the trainer.

I thought it'd be fun to have everyone post up their favorite trainer workout for the offseason. Be it a long spin, a power hour, fast intervals, whatever.

Personally, I like 30 sec on/30off with the on at an all out effort and the off just spinning. It feels good to hammer!!!!

lets hear what you do to get better in the winter!

2013-10-14 12:51 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Winter is Coming
20' warmup/spin
10' aero - low z2
10' aero - mid z2
10' z2

10' hill work
5' spin
10' next gear lower
5' spin
10' next gear lower
5' spin
10' lowest gear
10' spin

20' z3
5' spin
20' z3
10' spin

2x
1' hard
1' easy
2' hard
2' easy
3' hard
3' easy
4' hard
4' easy
5' hard
5' easy

10' cooldown

2013-10-14 12:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
My favourite winter bike workout.

Thought I had a low res version on my phone; try this instead:

https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/521576_1015124...

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2013-10-14 1:01 PM
2013-10-14 5:55 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Last Winter I went through every episode of the orginal Star Trek series on Netflix while on the trainer. Trying to figure out what to do this year.
2013-10-14 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Means it's finally perfect outdoor riding weather!

2013-10-15 11:10 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by popsracer

Last Winter I went through every episode of the orginal Star Trek series on Netflix while on the trainer. Trying to figure out what to do this year.

I was thinking of re-watching all five seasons of the Wire while on the trainer.

2013-10-15 12:05 PM

Master
Northern IL

No specific workout, but tend use ones with several 20-30' blocks at a comfortably hard effort often. Sometimes adding on a longer one at say 45' just slightly less effort.

2013-10-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Last winter I did a few Sufferfest videos and a couple Charmichael training videos. I streamed a lot of TV shows from Netflix and rewatched a couple old movies. I always break it up with intervals, but by spring, I was wishing I had a fatbike. I had an injured Achilles tendon and couldn't run, so I had bad cabin fever.
2013-10-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by jlruhnke

I was thinking of re-watching all five seasons of the Wire while on the trainer.

Ha, I've already decided on Breaking Bad.
2013-10-15 4:45 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown
Originally posted by popsracerLast Winter I went through every episode of the orginal Star Trek series on Netflix while on the trainer. Trying to figure out what to do this year.
Nothing is really coming to me. I used to like Magnum P.I. but a little too slow moving. Battlestar Galactica but a little too cheesy. I might have to buy a DVD pack to get more options. Maybe Gilligan's Island or ....???
2013-10-15 4:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by popsracerLast Winter I went through every episode of the orginal Star Trek series on Netflix while on the trainer. Trying to figure out what to do this year.
Nothing is really coming to me. I used to like Magnum P.I. but a little too slow moving. Battlestar Galactica but a little too cheesy. I might have to buy a DVD pack to get more options. Maybe Gilligan's Island or ....???

I mean you have TNG, DS9, Voyager, & Enterprise.. why not go through 'em all?

Give Warehouse 13 a try for something not Star Trek.

2013-10-15 5:30 PM
in reply to: r3dey3

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by r3dey3
I mean you have TNG, DS9, Voyager, & Enterprise.. why not go through 'em all? Give Warehouse 13 a try for something not Star Trek.
I could never accept or get into a Star Trek without Kirk and Spock.
2013-10-15 5:47 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My wife and I watch food shows on the trainer.

Chopped, Iron Chef, Master Chef, Top Chef, Cutthroat Kitchen, Pitchin' in.  You don't really have to pay close attention to them so you won't miss anything during a hard interval and you can even watch them again in a few months and you probably won't remember a thing about it.  

2013-10-15 5:54 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Winter is Coming

One does not simply ride a trainer!

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown Ha, I've already decided on Breaking Bad.

I did that last winter.  It made it all worthwhile.

Lately it has been Weeds.  The new Battlestar Galactica was epic! You may not want to ever get off the trainer once you start watching it.

This winter will probably be Sons of Anarchy, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Eureka. Might dip my toes in the Doctor Who waters a bit, too.

2013-10-15 6:44 PM

User image

Austin

Originally posted by r3dey3
I mean you have TNG, DS9, Voyager, & Enterprise.. why not go through 'em all? Give Warehouse 13 a try for something not Star Trek.
I could never accept or get into a Star Trek without Kirk and Spock.

Wow, then you really are missing out on some great storytelling.

Lets see earlier this year we did all the harry potter movies, matrix trilogy, hell boy 1 and 2, terminator 1 and 2, Starwars 1,2,3,4,5,6. + clonewars cartoon season 1. Dredd, real steel, green hornet, and more. Lots and lots more, thats just what I remember while on the trainer. We spent so much damn time on the trainer this year. But it was a blast.

We watched all the Star Treks, next gen, DS9, Voyager and enterpirse while not on the trainer in 2012. It was a good year.

We are going to attempt a 8 hour trainer ride on the first iced in day of the winter, so you know in January.

If I am on the trainer just myself and have the tv to myself I love to velcro the ps3 controller to the areo bars and play Wipeout HD. Now thats fun when on the trainer. Any time you boost in game you gotta get your rpms up there too!

2013-10-15 8:26 PM

User image

Firefly

2013-10-16 7:39 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Champion
Alabama
I saw my shadow yesterday! So 6 more weeks of summer! OTOH, I am not the prognosticator of prognosticators....I'm not even a large rodent.

I covered up the swimming pool last weekend....cold front moving in today....rain in on the way....ugh! Looking forward to spring already!
2013-10-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

I'm halfway through Battlestar Gallactica and moving quickly...i gotta figure out what else to watch!

Maybe i'll give start trek another chance. which one should i start first for a star trek newbie?
2013-10-16 9:28 AM

User image

Austin

Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest I'm halfway through Battlestar Gallactica and moving quickly...i gotta figure out what else to watch! Maybe i'll give start trek another chance. which one should i start first for a star trek newbie?

I say start with next gen, so you don't feel like your stuck in the 60s. For as much as I love the pacing of the original ones and shatner's Kirk is great, I think the story line and pacing of Next gen is a better place for new comers.

Although my wife watched enterprise first, and its more action oriented. That got her hooked, then we went and watched next gen, ds9 and voyager.

If you have universal sports you can always watch running, velo, cross country, diving, gymnastics, triathlon (if they put on any Ausi ones.)

2013-10-16 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
http://www.thesufferfest.com/

Best trainer videos ever.

Great workouts, great music, will make you laugh and cry(and puke) during the same workout.

My personal favorite is Local Hero because of the vairity, but if you want a killer workout nothing beats the pain of Revolver, and Hell Hath No Fury makes me shudder just thinking about it.
2013-10-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: drdking

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Did 45' on that thing this morning.  Ugh... (was foggy AND dark out, so not good riding in morning traffic - which starts wicked early 'round here).

Honestly, it's like some kind of torture device.  My watts are low, my HR won't come up, feels like lava in my legs - can't figure out why it's suck a $uck-fest, but it is.

Only thing that made it a decent workout was to pick a cadence based on a song I was listening to, match that cadence to a gear that got me a certain wattage, and hold on for an interval (worked better at high cadence - grinding it out in a low gear doesn't work for me on the stand, apparently).  So, that's my "favorite," I guess.

I'm just gonna bundle up like Yukon Jack and ride outside (or revert to a winter run focus!) I think.

Good on y'all who can stand it!!

Matt

2013-10-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: drdking

User image

Utah
Originally posted by drdking

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

Best trainer videos ever.

Great workouts, great music, will make you laugh and cry(and puke) during the same workout.

My personal favorite is Local Hero because of the vairity, but if you want a killer workout nothing beats the pain of Revolver, and Hell Hath No Fury makes me shudder just thinking about it.

I just downloaded Angels, ISLAGIATT, and Local Hero. Trying them out tomorrow. I hope they break up the monotony!
2013-10-16 10:31 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

One winter I also used the "Planet Earth" series. Amazing footage, and all the animal chase scenes made for good interval work.
2013-10-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by KatieLimb
Originally posted by drdking http://www.thesufferfest.com/Best trainer videos ever. Great workouts, great music, will make you laugh and cry(and puke) during the same workout. My personal favorite is Local Hero because of the vairity, but if you want a killer workout nothing beats the pain of Revolver, and Hell Hath No Fury makes me shudder just thinking about it.
I just downloaded Angels, ISLAGIATT, and Local Hero. Trying them out tomorrow. I hope they break up the monotony!

Hehe

2013-10-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Arrested Development. Though you may miss some jokes if only passively watching.

The old seasons are on Netflix, and the new season is exclusively on Netflix. Best to watch them in order, as they reference themselves and other bits that may not make sense otherwise.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter is Coming Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

My Mukluk is coming My Mukluk is coming

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1974 Posts: 17

2011-02-01 10:12 AM wgraves7582

what socks do you wear during winter running(Canadian winter) :) Pages: 1 2

Started by jamiemutton1
Views: 7145 Posts: 31

2014-02-09 12:20 PM Macguyverguy

OMG Winter is coming! Pages: 1 2

Started by StlPhil
Views: 2982 Posts: 44

2010-09-09 9:33 AM Donto

With Winter Coming...What trainer do you recommend?

Started by highenuff
Views: 916 Posts: 12

2009-08-25 10:42 AM jldicarlo

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3085 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.