General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your most recent training breakthrough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Subject: RE: What's your most recent training breakthrough?

Great job folks!

I wish I had something to contribute :P

2013-10-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by TriAya

What a positive thread!

I was already a decent swimmer and dreaded doing what I thought I needed to do to improve--severe, prolonged suffering in the pool (since it was that mode of training during youth that had made me a decent swimmer to begin with ... so I thought I needed to do even more of it, more painfully to improve)

8 weeks into the 16-week progression of Swim Speed Workouts (Sheila Taormina -- it's advertised here on the site) I blew away all my previous good swim results in a triathlon, coming in 7th OA out of ~200 swimmers in a sprint tri I'd done six times before.

A few more weeks into it and I went from being a ~1:25 Ironman swimmer to 1:12 (in fresh water, which is slower, and being in the last wave of a 2-loop course, which meant constantly swimming into and through previous waves the whole time).

Don't get me wrong--there's some suffering in the Swim Speed Workouts. But they're incredibly doable and really efficient swim training in a very specific progression that's tailored for distance swimmers and triathletes. To have this kind of breakthrough on far less work and pain than I'd feared was really delightful and amazing to me.

WOW!!!!! You make me want to buy that book except whenever I drop in  your blog those workouts sound awful ha ha ha . I just got below 1:25 for one hundred yesterday, 1:12 is impressive for sure!

HUGE CAVEAT: I get personalized guidance from Sheila, so my workouts are kind of 'roided out. I said this to my mentor group: DO NOT let what's in my logs prevent you from getting the book & workouts. Most of them are much shorter and the intervals/rest you do, you base on where you are at.

Happy splashing I really need to get over to YOUR logs more often! How long can I use the "BT's new interface is cumbersome" excuse?

2013-10-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Upgraded bikes last month... 2011 Trek 1.5 roadie to a 2013 Cervelo P2.... improved my training ride mphs +2mph over night.
2013-10-29 8:56 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Franklin, TN
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

About a month ago, I swam my first 100 in less than 1:30. I haven't done it since and I couldn't do more than one in a row. But I'm dang proud of that 1:28 100. My best a year prior to that was 2:08.

I'd be proud of that too...nice.

I've experienced the same thing. Stroke mechanics and streamlining have to be just right for me to dip down into the 1:30s...probably would help if I swam more too. I can hit 18-20 second paces on 25yard sprints but can't hold it (yet) for a longer duration.
2013-10-29 9:01 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Master
My swim speed has been slow in improvement since I've started. I recently acquired a coach who I asked for videos to help me with it. He invited me to a swim session to critique my stroke. He said he instantly noticed that I wasn't "pulling" on my stroke. After he showed me what the heck he was talking about, I've since felt more in control of my swim time.
2013-10-29 9:02 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Franklin, TN
Originally posted by Justin86

Started to have most of my runs at sub 8 minute miles, also broke 150 miles in a month for my first month ever.

Wow. I can do that too (the sub 8 miles) if I limit my runs to 1 mile.

Hoping to hold 9:10ish miles for my first HM coming up...I'll have to execute well (and suffer a bit) to break the 2 hour mark.

2013-10-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Recent breakthrough...first sub-23 open 5K (well, since high school anyway).  I'm also about to hit 70 miles in a run month for the first time in almost three years.

2013-10-29 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I don't have a breakthrough to share, but this thread did make me think of a recent article in LAVA by Mark Allen. From the article I pulled the following quote, which I really liked:

"Breakthroughs rarely take place in the sanitized environment of the ideal. They usually require an encounter with the uncomfortable, the uncertain, and on occasion, the impossible looking situation." – Mark Allen
2013-10-29 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I joined a local HM training group and had my first month of triple digit (135.72) run mileage followed by a PR (1:37:18) in the HM.
2013-10-29 10:23 AM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Barkeep I don't have a breakthrough to share, but this thread did make me think of a recent article in LAVA by Mark Allen. From the article I pulled the following quote, which I really liked: "Breakthroughs rarely take place in the sanitized environment of the ideal. They usually require an encounter with the uncomfortable, the uncertain, and on occasion, the impossible looking situation." – Mark Allen

I love that.

I also really like the posts about people coming back from injury and other challenges. "Breakthrough" doesn't necessarily mean doing something better than you've ever done it before ... it can very well mean a breakthrough for where you are at right now.

2013-10-29 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Saddle comfort matters. Sounds simple, but it took me a while to pull the trigger on an ISM saddle. Now, no numbness and more comfort. This in turn gives me the desire and ability to ride longer. BTW, I worked through about 3 demo saddles before finding one I liked. I think I am lucky in that it was only 3.

2013-10-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Pro
Burbs

Great thread!

I've PR'd every running distance this year (started running in 2005) -- 5K, 10K, 10M, half marathon... all that's left is my marathon in November 

(and maybe a 5M in Dec )

2013-10-29 1:00 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by trishie

Great thread!

I've PR'd every running distance this year (started running in 2005) -- 5K, 10K, 10M, half marathon... all that's left is my marathon in November 

(and maybe a 5M in Dec )

That's awesome trishie! Big congrats. I'll bet it feels good.

I took all summer off running to ride my bike and started climbing back out of the hole in September. I broke 100 miles this month but a long way from my peak a couple years ago when I hit 280+. I'll take a 100 as a nice milestone on the way back though.
2013-10-29 1:13 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by TriAya

What a positive thread!

I was already a decent swimmer and dreaded doing what I thought I needed to do to improve--severe, prolonged suffering in the pool (since it was that mode of training during youth that had made me a decent swimmer to begin with ... so I thought I needed to do even more of it, more painfully to improve)

8 weeks into the 16-week progression of Swim Speed Workouts (Sheila Taormina -- it's advertised here on the site) I blew away all my previous good swim results in a triathlon, coming in 7th OA out of ~200 swimmers in a sprint tri I'd done six times before.

A few more weeks into it and I went from being a ~1:25 Ironman swimmer to 1:12 (in fresh water, which is slower, and being in the last wave of a 2-loop course, which meant constantly swimming into and through previous waves the whole time).

Don't get me wrong--there's some suffering in the Swim Speed Workouts. But they're incredibly doable and really efficient swim training in a very specific progression that's tailored for distance swimmers and triathletes. To have this kind of breakthrough on far less work and pain than I'd feared was really delightful and amazing to me.

I love Sheila's books.  They definitely gave me a new perspective on my stroke.  I definitely saw an improvement....not as much of an improvement as Yanti, but I'm quite sure I didn't log in as much time as she did either.

On a side note, I met Sheila at one of her swim clinics and she is one gracious and classy person.  Her second book (the Swim Speed Workouts) came with the course but wasn't quite ready so it would be sent to us later.  She actually took the time to email me after seeing my address and realizing she'd be in my area.  She figured way not just drop it in my mailbox?  I told my husband I wanted to leave work and go home because a three sport Olympian was coming to the house 

2013-10-29 1:25 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Seattle

Very cool thread!

Progress comes in waves for sure. As my coach says, "There are no peaks without valleys."

I think the biggest thing has been remaining injury free. As a relatively new runner, I have made it a priority to understand and listen to my body from the beginning. My workouts are getting longer and faster and I am getting stronger. 

I also got the courage to try something new and do cross country this year and the experience has been phenomenal. 

2013-10-29 1:34 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
PNW
OK, I'll share.

I was injured in early 2012, had foot surgery, missed the entire season and was only cleared to start running again in Nov of 2012. But I didn't start then. I spent too many more months working through some back issues (triggered by months on crutches) and trying to get functionally stronger again. I ended up having to take off the 2013 tri season as well because I was so far behind in fitness (mostly run).

In July, I found out that I was automatically registered for a HM in October because I deferred in 2012. I pulled out an old run training plan and got started. It was hell at first. I was SO miserable but I stuck with it and somewhere about a month into it, something clicked. All of a sudden I started to realize that I was enjoying running again!

I did the half a few weeks ago only 7 minutes slower than in 2011 (same race) but I finished MUCH stronger and knew I could have crushed my old time had I been willing to do so. I held back because I didn't know how my foot would hold up. It was fine. I plan to PR my next HM in December by a huge margin!

And I've lost more than 15% of my body weight since July, too. :-)

2013-10-29 1:35 PM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Master
PNW
Originally posted by trishie

Great thread!

(and maybe a 5M in Dec )

Awesome!!
2013-10-29 1:44 PM

User image

My swimming has improved over the summer. I just made a commitment to swim more. Averaged over 10k a week for 16 straight weeks and it paid off.
2013-10-29 2:41 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
This is a great thread, like to see the positive reinforcement. We all have come from such different places I love the support and encouragement for each persons accomplishments even if they may seem trivial to another! The tri community certainly is a great one.

Originally posted by JoelO

Originally posted by Justin86

Started to have most of my runs at sub 8 minute miles, also broke 150 miles in a month for my first month ever.

Wow. I can do that too (the sub 8 miles) if I limit my runs to 1 mile.

Hoping to hold 9:10ish miles for my first HM coming up...I'll have to execute well (and suffer a bit) to break the 2 hour mark.

Good luck, you can do it! FWIW I started running in 2012 and I couldnt even hold a 10 minute mile. I stuck with it.

What really has kicked me into gear is I did the "30 runs in 30 days challenge" I noticed huge gains. Today will be run #37 in a row and I feel stronger then ever.

2013-10-29 3:11 PM

User image

Oakville
You will get faster by running more.

BRAG ALERT...

One of the goals I set last year was to break a 40 minute 10 K.

Although the McMillan calculator predicted that I could do it, I came close but never did break the 40 minute barrier.

I dropped this as one of my goals this year, but entered a 10 K race a few weekends ago as part of my half marathon training.

Run volume has definitely increased over the past few months, mostly long easy running, and I ended up I shattered my PB with a 38:31 and felt great afterwards.

2013-10-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Franklin, TN
Thanks, I'm going to give it my best shot. You're right about the run volume...I've been seeing some gains in my times as I've focused more on the run this fall.

2013-10-30 10:10 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by Scott71 You will get faster by running more. BRAG ALERT... One of the goals I set last year was to break a 40 minute 10 K. Although the McMillan calculator predicted that I could do it, I came close but never did break the 40 minute barrier. I dropped this as one of my goals this year, but entered a 10 K race a few weekends ago as part of my half marathon training. Run volume has definitely increased over the past few months, mostly long easy running, and I ended up I shattered my PB with a 38:31 and felt great afterwards.

That's a great 10K time -- congrats!!!

2013-10-30 11:32 AM

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Was thinking about this thread this morning on my run. They're not all performance breakthroughs, per se, but more changes in thinking towards training.

1. Running my longer runs at a slower pace works (for me). I'm always dealing with IT Band issues and glute tightness, and have found that by running easier, I can run longer without discomfort.

2. Running with my dog has made me really look forward to running and has made me less concerned with pace and not stopping (when the dog has to go, he's gotta' go!). It was a mental hurdle for me that come race day, stopping a few times during my training runs wasn't going to mean no performance on race day (sounds crazy looking back on it). Plus, it makes me happy that my dog has such a blast out there!

3. I've always been a mountain biker, but logging the miles on the road have made me a better cyclist.

Next up, I'm hoping for a breakthrough on commitment to the foam roller
2013-10-30 11:34 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
I won my AG for the first time ever this past Saturday in the 10K I did. It was also a PR. I am still riding that high!!
2013-10-30 7:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Gold member

I'm finally starting to consistently swim 2min/100.  2 years ago i incorporated some subtle breath control (subtle meaning not holding my breath till my eyes bulge out) into my boring 200's.  I am now up to 300's (1500 yards total) and doing each 300 as 75 on 7/7 breathing, 75 on 5/5 breathing, 75 on 5/4 breathing and 75 on 4/4 breathing continuous - no gasping.   99% people don't espouse this technique in favor of 'breath when you need it' - and I agree..."air is good"...but I never liked doing things the easy way and I hate conventional drills and speed sets.  I was down in florida a few weeks ago and I have never felt more confident and at ease in the ocean swimming in some some giant swells and big breakers - it was a great feeling.  The rougher the ocean is now, the happier I am.  This in in contrast to St. Anthony's years ago...

It's just me, but I'm thrilled.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your most recent training breakthrough? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Recent flu and training volume

Started by runk8run
Views: 467 Posts: 2

2012-07-21 6:25 PM newtriguy

Swim question for "beginners" who've made recent breakthroughs

Started by nc452010
Views: 1387 Posts: 18

2010-08-03 9:09 PM jonathan.evitts

What's your recent success Pages: 1 2 3

Started by threeladsdad
Views: 3031 Posts: 56

2010-07-02 7:48 AM NickW

Training breakthrough

Started by CalgaryRunner
Views: 729 Posts: 9

2006-05-12 9:27 PM vortmax

Anyone ever have an amazing training breakthrough?

Started by donmck
Views: 765 Posts: 10

2005-09-01 8:01 AM p4406
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : October 4, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
For a pro, racing when you aren't 100% is counterproductive.
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : August 15, 2011
Kyle looks back, halfway through his second pro season.
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : July 18, 2011
How triathlon and professional racing helped Kyle grow up -- within the fantasy world of being a pro
date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season