BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

Originally posted by StaceyK So Manatees it's confession time. I have had the 2 weeks from just before Christmas till now off. I had big plans of all the things that I was gonna do around the house and garden and that I was gonna train every day. I have managed ok up until New Year with the training but since then the wheels have fallen off and I haven't done a single SBR session yet in 2014 and I have done very little around the house. The worst part is I go back to work tomorrow. I have plenty of reasons why this is the case including, randy dogs that I spend half the day going back and forward to the vets with. A grumpy husband who has had an ACL reconstruction and has hurt the hamstring that they used to do the reconstruction with and now a dog with a partial CCL tear (think ACL in a human) that requires 8 weeks of restricted activity. But really the root cause is that I am LAZY! I have 4 weeks until the Oly that I really want to do so I need to pull my finger out and get on with it. In order to have some accountability is it ok if I just do a quick post here each day to say that I have done my session, I won't put details just that it is done.

Post away!  I think it is one of those rules where when you have all the time in the world to get things done, you don't; but when you are time crunched you find the time.

Gunnar had a CCl tear (not a major one).  Of course, i didn't notice it until it had already started healing, so I ran him on our regular schedule and now he has arthritis in that area   You are a much better "mom" than I am!

2014-01-05 9:23 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando

[ You will be penalised for how much you are out of your estimation. Now, you could sand bag this, wear a garmin and come in bang on time and get full points, or you could zip up the man suit, set a challenging time and gun it. If you don't get it, phhhhhh, so what, you've given it your all and who knows, you might smash it out the ball park and PB it. I'd much rather do that and take the points loss. Your call. One more BIG POINT. Remember to log your runs by the Tuesday morning each week(can't remember exact time and can't check at mo cos I'm on iPad and if I go off the page I lose all this ^^^^), or they don't count (plus remember, it's British times so go by GMT) Here's the link. http://www.jantastic.me/Go there, sign up and when it comes to team selection, do a search for "mad manatees". Be quick, you have to get in by midnight Sunday the 5th as it starts on the 6th. Fellow runners already signed up, you have until then also in order to adjust your run numbers if you want. Good luck, and take it easy. No injuries. A motivational video for us all to get us in the mood. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2QFFdAyyuzA&feature=youtu.be&d...

Hmm, I guess I need to shop for my man suit! 

2014-01-05 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by brigby1

Um

where the hell are you the Article Arctic circle?

I think that Ben lives in the Chicago area.  He owes as a bio (as does Erin).  I'm sure that we'll figure it out for sure when he posts it 

Edited by jmkizer 2014-01-05 10:38 AM
2014-01-05 10:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Um

I think that Ben lives in the Chicago area.  He owes as a bio (as does Erin).  I'm sure that we'll figure it out for sure when he posts it 

Oops!  He posted it last night when I wasn't looking.  It doesn't say but I still think that it's Chicago -- that means that Monica will be having the same lovely weather.  Hopefully it will clear out/warm up for her half marathon next weekend!

2014-01-05 12:52 PM

User image

Master

H'lo Manatees.  Thanks for the birthday wishes.  I woke up on Friday with a sore throat and now it is sore throat, headache, muscle and joint aches.  Fun!  I have a history of getting sick at Christmas/New Years/Birthday.  I guess the season just catches up with me.  It is not as bad as some have had it, so I shan't complain.  I will get out for my first Jantastic run tomorrow regardless...  Back to work tomorrow too booooooo!

Hope your race went well, Kate!

2014-01-05 4:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

Um

Oops!  He posted it last night when I wasn't looking.  It doesn't say but I still think that it's Chicago -- that means that Monica will be having the same lovely weather.  Hopefully it will clear out/warm up for her half marathon next weekend!

Supposed to be around freezing point then, so basically shorts weather.

2014-01-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Stacey, I'm looking for your Sunday report...

2014-01-05 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Um

Supposed to be around freezing point then, so basically shorts weather.

Good to hear!  

2014-01-06 3:26 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Jantastic Run number one completed and logged. Twas difficult
2014-01-06 4:55 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Jantastic Run number one completed and logged. Twas difficult

How do I log a run on there?! I keep pressing the Log My Run buttons but nothing happens. Nor if I right-click does it bring up a menu (open link in new tab, something like that) ...

2014-01-06 6:45 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Jantastic Run number one completed and logged. Twas difficult

How do I log a run on there?! I keep pressing the Log My Run buttons but nothing happens. Nor if I right-click does it bring up a menu (open link in new tab, something like that) ...

What browser are you using. It works for me using safari and chrome. When you click "log my run", a box pops up with options. I know people have been having problems with IE.

2014-01-06 7:04 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

What browser are you using. It works for me using safari and chrome. When you click "log my run", a box pops up with options. I know people have been having problems with IE.

Firefox 26.0 ... I'll try again. Generally when I post about such problems, they magically go away for the express purpose of making me look an idiot, not that I need any assistance.

2014-01-06 7:43 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Firefox 26.0 ... I'll try again. Generally when I post about such problems, they magically go away for the express purpose of making me look an idiot, not that I need any assistance.

Really, it's all a giant plot against you!

2014-01-06 9:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm trying to load mine up with Chrome and the site is just running really really slow.......

MORNING ALL!! Back from 2 days of skiing in bitter cold temps - but the sun was out so it was tolerable. Weird.

Hope everyone has a good day!

btw when do we get to move from STAGING to LIVE?

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-01-06 9:09 AM
2014-01-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey manatees!  I agree with TJ, it is fun reading the bios and getting to know the podmates better.  As twisted as this next comment sounds, I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only onw who periodically struggles with keeping training regular.  Maybe the strugglers can help each other stay on track, I think it was mainly me, Stacey and Darren.

My hockey team had their first game without me this weekend, it was pure torture to watch and not be playing, but my stand-in helped us bring home a 'W'.  I hung out in the penalty box so I could chat with the score/time keepers, my team, and also 'man' the penalty box door when necessary.  They found much humor in seeing someone so little in net, basically my body opposite, if you will!  She's just a short, thin little thing, the total opposite of me!

Hammy update: I suppose it's improving, my ART guru wants to start me on strengthening exercises this week (I see him Mon and Wed).  Progress just seems so slow and it's tough to be patient sometimes.

2014-01-06 11:50 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

NAME: Artemis / Jen / Wondermoose

STORY: I'm 32, married, with one daughter (E) who is 2, and two crazy cats.  I'm currently living in Richmond, VA.  I grew up in Milwaukee, WI and lived in Madison, WI for 5 years.  I'm a research scientist in molecular biology and am on my second post-doctoral fellowship.  Looking for a more permanent job, which will probably require relocating some time this year.  

I'm perpetually trying to lose weight, but it's tough.  I have hypothyroidism, allergies, asthma, and just general fatigue going on pretty much all the time.  I would like to be a better runner and triathlete, but that always falls off compared to everything else going on in my life.  I keep getting injured (stress fractures and the like) because I can't consistently train.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one daughter and two cats

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing another 8 week session of Body Back and starting running again

2013 RACES/EVENTS:

Love Rox 10k
Monument Ave 10k
Color Me Rad "5k"
Twillight 4 Miler
Glow Run 5k
Cul de Sac 5k 3 Race Series
I Love the Tavern Triathlon
USAT AG Nationals Sprint Tri

RACES/EVENTS PLANNED FOR 2014

Run for Chocolate 5k or 10k
Shamrock 8k?
Monument Ave 10k
USAT AG Nationals Sprint Tri

BODY COMPOSITION: I'm working on losing weight/inches and building strength in the Body Back program.  In the 6 week holiday program, I lost a total of 6.5 inches, but I don't know how much I've gained back over Christmas.

2014-01-06 1:03 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey everyone, I had a fantastic time at the race this weekend, in fact, I was far faster than usual on the bike course! Unfortunately, I really should have forgone the race...Clint had caught a nasty bug early last week--it only lasted a few days, but he was not well--exhausted, feverish, chest congestion/pain and sinus issues like crazy. I kept saying "as long as I don't catch it before Saturday I am cool." So on Friday EARLY morning (like 3 AM early) I woke myself up with a dry coughing fit--no worries, that happens a lot (stupid allergies)and went back to sleep. When I woke up later that morning, my chest was a bit sore and I was coughing still (still dry)but I figured it was just from that coughing fit earlier--I WAS NOT going to get sick!!! I powered through Friday, as I felt fine otherwise.On Saturday, I got up and still felt kind of icky in the chest, but again, that was it. So I did my race. I had a blast, before and during the race. After that race, I was hanging out with my friends, and I felt not quite as good, but I figured I was just a bit tired. We went to a local restaurant to celebrate some more, and thats when I noticed just how hot I felt. I took off and went home. I showered and laid down for a bit--when I took my temp. I was running a 100.4 fever. ick. That lasted through last night. I slept through part of yesterday on and off. Today I seem to be fever free, but still a bit tired, my equilibrium's off, and a bit snuffly, but I feel quite a bit more human. Lesson learned....try not to race when getting sick. 

I actually got some photos! Me at the finish line, with some friends post race, and our BIG under the finish arch shot. This is the group I do a lot of racing with outside of tris--the Weeple Army--there are actually close to 3000 people in it all over California, Arizona, and other spots of the US. There's a few that I am 'kind of' mentoring as they start doing triathlons too!

2014-01-06 2:09 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hmph.  I wanted to post an image similar to what Ben put up about the weather but tinypic is down.  He has this area beat with the -11 regular temp and -18 wind chill!  Anyway, at 7 am tomorrow the temp is supposed to be 4* F with a windchill of -17*.  They are already calling a 2 hour delay for schools just because of the cold which I kind of but don't exactly understand.

I'm SO ready for spring!

Edited by melbo55 2014-01-06 2:12 PM
2014-01-06 2:10 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by kgore

Hey everyone, I had a fantastic time at the race this weekend, in fact, I was far faster than usual on the bike course! Unfortunately, I really should have forgone the race...Clint had caught a nasty bug early last week--it only lasted a few days, but he was not well--exhausted, feverish, chest congestion/pain and sinus issues like crazy. I kept saying "as long as I don't catch it before Saturday I am cool." So on Friday EARLY morning (like 3 AM early) I woke myself up with a dry coughing fit--no worries, that happens a lot (stupid allergies)and went back to sleep. When I woke up later that morning, my chest was a bit sore and I was coughing still (still dry)but I figured it was just from that coughing fit earlier--I WAS NOT going to get sick!!! I powered through Friday, as I felt fine otherwise.On Saturday, I got up and still felt kind of icky in the chest, but again, that was it. So I did my race. I had a blast, before and during the race. After that race, I was hanging out with my friends, and I felt not quite as good, but I figured I was just a bit tired. We went to a local restaurant to celebrate some more, and thats when I noticed just how hot I felt. I took off and went home. I showered and laid down for a bit--when I took my temp. I was running a 100.4 fever. ick. That lasted through last night. I slept through part of yesterday on and off. Today I seem to be fever free, but still a bit tired, my equilibrium's off, and a bit snuffly, but I feel quite a bit more human. Lesson learned....try not to race when getting sick. 

I actually got some photos! Me at the finish line, with some friends post race, and our BIG under the finish arch shot. This is the group I do a lot of racing with outside of tris--the Weeple Army--there are actually close to 3000 people in it all over California, Arizona, and other spots of the US. There's a few that I am 'kind of' mentoring as they start doing triathlons too!

Take care, Kate, and keep healing!  Coughing and fever = not fun and not good.  Congrats on finishing the race, though!

2014-01-06 2:59 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hope you're feeling better soon, Kate!  That sounds like what I had around Christmas.  Definitely not fun.  I am impressed that you were able to race!

2014-01-06 5:23 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Staging area.  Hmmm.   Kind of feels like purgatory.  Neither here nor there.

Just sitting  her in the arctic conditions that is definitely not normal for these parts.   12 degrees F and wind chills of -5.     It's a 100 year event.

2014-01-06 6:41 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

Master
Northern IL

2nd evening of this arctic blast. -13F and falling. Windchills -40-50F.

Car started ok at work, was the biggest worry. Gave it a long time to warm-up, just so things like the transmission could do so too. Heard quite a few had dead batteries. I parked in a different area that was a bit more shielded and picked a spot that was oriented away from the wind and would be sure to have a number of other cards around it. Don't know if it helped a lot, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

2014-01-06 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

2nd evening of this arctic blast. -13F and falling. Windchills -40-50F.

Car started ok at work, was the biggest worry. Gave it a long time to warm-up, just so things like the transmission could do so too. Heard quite a few had dead batteries. I parked in a different area that was a bit more shielded and picked a spot that was oriented away from the wind and would be sure to have a number of other cards around it. Don't know if it helped a lot, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Crazy stuff. Hope this weather passes soon.
2014-01-06 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Stacey, I'm looking for your Sunday report...

Spent Sunday at the vet again, it's beginning to feel like a second home.

But swam Monday and run this morning.
2014-01-06 7:24 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Ok.. so apparently I am recovering from the flu. We were checking out symptoms and all pointed to that. This would only be the second time I have ever had it. On a nifty note....Clint gained a super-smell-power, and I have gained super-hearing-power....odd since my ears feel cloggy; I swear I am hearing things super sharply though. Weird. According to doctors, I should stay home from work (again) so I don't spread my disease anymore. Rough to take. Yeah, definitely starting to feel like my normal self. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 24787 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37059 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 17353 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.