BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-19 12:58 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)
Originally posted by laffinrock

For those of you with Garmin 310TX's, have you had problems with incorrect distance on the swim?  I just did an OWS that was supposed to be 750 yds.  Yes, I was swerving all over the place (map looked like a Christmas tree!!), but my Garmin said I went 1,689 yds. and did a 1:18 100.  While that time/distance would be nice, I know it can't possibly be right, even though I was wearing a wetsuit.  Was it because I was wearing it on my wrist so there was extra distance from my strokes?  Should I be wearing it under my swim cap instead?

I think with the 310 you need to put it under your hat. Each time your arm comes out of the water, the watch is trying to pick up gps to triangulate your position. Not really enough time to get a good fix, hence the dodgy distance and swim trace. Garmin managed to put in some new algorithms in the 910 that tries to predict where you're likely to be on the next swim stroke that speeds up gps fixing and gives more accurate data, but is still out.

2014-07-19 2:05 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

For those of you with Garmin 310TX's, have you had problems with incorrect distance on the swim?  I just did an OWS that was supposed to be 750 yds.  Yes, I was swerving all over the place (map looked like a Christmas tree!!), but my Garmin said I went 1,689 yds. and did a 1:18 100.  While that time/distance would be nice, I know it can't possibly be right, even though I was wearing a wetsuit.  Was it because I was wearing it on my wrist so there was extra distance from my strokes?  Should I be wearing it under my swim cap instead?

I think with the 310 you need to put it under your hat. Each time your arm comes out of the water, the watch is trying to pick up gps to triangulate your position. Not really enough time to get a good fix, hence the dodgy distance and swim trace. Garmin managed to put in some new algorithms in the 910 that tries to predict where you're likely to be on the next swim stroke that speeds up gps fixing and gives more accurate data, but is still out.

Thanks, Darren.  That makes sense.

2014-07-19 3:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Bicycling Magazine's article about the TX guy who got hit by the truck, as well as of a woman who got run over, then stands up, walks away, then walks back to yell at the driver!!  Good to see that this is getting some national press.

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/it-was-a-bad-week-for-cyclists-and-trucks

2014-07-19 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have not had a distance problem (the 305 is the under the swim cap one, BTW) but I think the 910XT does better with it.  I used my 310XT last weekend and if you look at my OWS, I got 2.2x miles.  It was in a channel so pretty straight.  When I get the distance from in MapMyFitness, just as the crow files from the start point (Henderson Road, Wrightsville Beach) to the end point (Coast Guard Station), it give me 2.15 (but has me swimming over an island).  I think that the Garmin got it right.

2014-07-20 3:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

I have not had a distance problem (the 305 is the under the swim cap one, BTW) but I think the 910XT does better with it.  I used my 310XT last weekend and if you look at my OWS, I got 2.2x miles.  It was in a channel so pretty straight.  When I get the distance from in MapMyFitness, just as the crow files from the start point (Henderson Road, Wrightsville Beach) to the end point (Coast Guard Station), it give me 2.15 (but has me swimming over an island).  I think that the Garmin got it right.

Good to know. So, perhaps the problem with Mary's swim could be down to poor satellite signals in that particular area. Or maybe the watch wasn't on long enough before the swim was started.
2014-07-20 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Hi Guys

sorry i've been a bit off the radar - my phone is broken (and has been in repairs for 3 weeks now.... long story)

So yeah, last few weeks

Been riding a fair bit.
Been swimming quite a lot

But you all want to know about the TDF

Well, in summary it was a bit, underwhelming if i'm totally honest.

I was stationed "off route" meant to be directing spectators to the route. We were grouped into teams of 15 with a supervisor.
My supervisor was the most jobsworth PITA disorganised useless rude person Ive met.

So arrived at the check in at some rediculous hour (about 6am) having been out the night before at a concert... (we got tickets for a big festival in london at a price of £2.50 each (about $4) - normal price £80/$150) so was quite tired. Got assigned to group of 15 at checkin and we walked to our area of control. IF you look at the following google map link, youll see pretty much all we had control over

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/52.1916914,0.124069/52.1938365,0.122...

So the three "off route" in our group were meant to be assigned to the grass to the west of the road, directing people to the road. It became quite clear this was a completely useless position to be in , as if you got to the grass you could see the hordes of people on the road and where the race was going to go. After sitting in the baking morning sun for about 3 hours (with sun cream of course) on the grass, we decided that the three of us would be better positioned talking to people, letting people know what was going on and generally marshalling people.

If you look carefully on the map, there is a load of parking bays, then a bike lane (red) then the road.

We were trying to keep people behind the first white line on the red line in order to keep everyone at the same level - if people edge out further up they start edging out behind and you get a vicious circle.

Everything went ok, people talking etc, until our supervisor decided to go on a round and started telling people they had to be on the kerb and weren't allowed to be on the road (behind the bike lane like we and the security staff decided). Tell you what, she pissed off about 200 + people there and was not good. You do not insult members of the public with the things she was saying - its just not right.

Anyway, she cleared off and we let everyone back out to the red line slowly and jokingly.

Caravan came along (freebies....) and threw about three things out along the whole of the couple hundred yards we had - they were also driving at 20+ miles an hour at this point ... bit underwhelming as expected lots and lots of goodies.

When the actual tour came along, we had all hands on the road, keeping people back,. Being the nice guy I am, I crouched down to let the people behind me take photos, and was probably 3-4 inches away from the wheels on the outside of the pack - I could have taken out the peloton if I wanted!

All the bikes were past in about 10s and then that was that. #
Wanted to go home and watch the TV recording of the part in cambridge only to find that the TV company skipped to an advert break as soon as they left and the entire of cambridge was left out of the coverage......

How is everyone else

2014-07-20 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Here's an article from DC Rainmaker that explains the concept.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/09/how-to-swim-with-your-garmin-forerunner.html 

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-07-20 3:34 PM
2014-07-20 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Good to know. So, perhaps the problem with Mary's swim could be down to poor satellite signals in that particular area. Or maybe the watch wasn't on long enough before the swim was started.

The issue is that the GPS receiver loses reception whenever it goes under the water.  If you keep it on your wrist, there's not really any GPS watch that will do a good job of keeping track of distance.  For OWS, watches rely on an algorithm to get them somewhat close, but it's not like what you would expect with running or cycling.  Check out the link I posted that shows how to put the watch underneath a swim cap.  It's really the best way.

2014-07-20 4:58 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ponderingfox

This is a great article but the algorithm has been updated numerous times since it was written.  It's now fairly decent although the 910XT still does a better job with OWS. 

2014-07-20 5:18 PM

User image

Master

Hidee-ho there, Pod! How are all the racing Manatees doing?

Melanie seemed to have a good morning

2014-07-20 6:00 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

This was yesterday morning.

(IMG_0032.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0032.jpg (76KB - 3 downloads)

2014-07-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Nice!

2014-07-20 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

that looks lovely.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and your racing went well.
2014-07-20 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

This is a great article but the algorithm has been updated numerous times since it was written.  It's now fairly decent although the 910XT still does a better job with OWS. 

When I used my 310XT for the open water swim in the race last week, the result was garbage.  The data was absolutely useless.  Have you had better results?

2014-07-20 11:38 PM

User image

Master

I hope all the racey racers had good races!  Ben, that photo is awesome!

2014-07-21 4:41 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
**Yawn** fell asleep before 9 last night and I'm still tired from yesterday. Great race though - RR is up.

Congrats to Yanti and Kingsley! Outstanding job kids!

That bike video gave me chills - and I was at work (shh) so I watched it with the sound off!

Well I'm going back to sleep before I gotta get up for work.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2014-07-21 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

When I used my 310XT for the open water swim in the race last week, the result was garbage.  The data was absolutely useless.  Have you had better results?

Tom, yes.  See above.

2014-07-21 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice!

2014-07-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by SteveyD Hi Guys sorry i've been a bit off the radar - my phone is broken (and has been in repairs for 3 weeks now.... long story) So yeah, last few weeks Been riding a fair bit. Been swimming quite a lot But you all want to know about the TDF Well, in summary it was a bit, underwhelming if i'm totally honest. I was stationed "off route" meant to be directing spectators to the route. We were grouped into teams of 15 with a supervisor. My supervisor was the most jobsworth PITA disorganised useless rude person Ive met. So arrived at the check in at some rediculous hour (about 6am) having been out the night before at a concert... (we got tickets for a big festival in london at a price of £2.50 each (about $4) - normal price £80/$150) so was quite tired. Got assigned to group of 15 at checkin and we walked to our area of control. IF you look at the following google map link, youll see pretty much all we had control over https://www.google.com/maps/dir/52.1916914,0.124069/52.1938365,0.122... So the three "off route" in our group were meant to be assigned to the grass to the west of the road, directing people to the road. It became quite clear this was a completely useless position to be in , as if you got to the grass you could see the hordes of people on the road and where the race was going to go. After sitting in the baking morning sun for about 3 hours (with sun cream of course) on the grass, we decided that the three of us would be better positioned talking to people, letting people know what was going on and generally marshalling people. If you look carefully on the map, there is a load of parking bays, then a bike lane (red) then the road. We were trying to keep people behind the first white line on the red line in order to keep everyone at the same level - if people edge out further up they start edging out behind and you get a vicious circle. Everything went ok, people talking etc, until our supervisor decided to go on a round and started telling people they had to be on the kerb and weren't allowed to be on the road (behind the bike lane like we and the security staff decided). Tell you what, she pissed off about 200 + people there and was not good. You do not insult members of the public with the things she was saying - its just not right. Anyway, she cleared off and we let everyone back out to the red line slowly and jokingly. Caravan came along (freebies....) and threw about three things out along the whole of the couple hundred yards we had - they were also driving at 20+ miles an hour at this point ... bit underwhelming as expected lots and lots of goodies. When the actual tour came along, we had all hands on the road, keeping people back,. Being the nice guy I am, I crouched down to let the people behind me take photos, and was probably 3-4 inches away from the wheels on the outside of the pack - I could have taken out the peloton if I wanted! All the bikes were past in about 10s and then that was that. # Wanted to go home and watch the TV recording of the part in cambridge only to find that the TV company skipped to an advert break as soon as they left and the entire of cambridge was left out of the coverage...... How is everyone else

Sorry to hear about your phone.  That sucks.

Thank you for volunteering.  Sorry about the PitA supervisor but glad that you and the security team were there.  I'm jealous that you got to see any part of the TdF in person.  Oh, and thanks for not taking out the peloton.  They are doing a good job of that without help!

2014-07-21 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Bicycling Magazine's article about the TX guy who got hit by the truck, as well as of a woman who got run over, then stands up, walks away, then walks back to yell at the driver!!  Good to see that this is getting some national press.

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/it-was-a-bad-week-for-cyclists-and-trucks

Well we were hoping it would make national news and it certainly did. I've seen that video posted everywhere now. It's crazy scary that it happened 1.5 miles from my house on a road I ride often. Made me realize it can happen anywhere anytime.
2014-07-21 9:59 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Lovely, I wish I were there!

2014-07-21 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Stevey - too bad about the lack of freebie goodies, I'd be disappointed, too.  Nice work and how cool to be that close to the peloton, even if it was for 10 seconds!

Edited by melbo55 2014-07-21 10:02 AM
2014-07-21 4:54 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

I think this is officially the quietest day EVER by the manatees!!

To liven things up a bit I offer this little video.

http://imgur.com/cw6kDAv

2014-07-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

I think this is officially the quietest day EVER by the manatees!!

To liven things up a bit I offer this little video.

http://imgur.com/cw6kDAv

thanks for that Ann-Marie.

Yes very quiet today, I figured you were all recovering from a big weekend of racing or partying or something like that. But now that it is Monday night over there I'm going to have to assume that you have all been...

...working, heaven forbid that they make you do that
2014-07-22 2:39 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I rode home from work yesterday, had a shower and some food, then proceeded to fall asleep on the couch at 4:30pm until 8:30am this morning. Meh. Have come down with a nasty cold, and the bee/wasp sting I recieved in my neck on the bike ride last weekend at Tenby is still itching like hell and feels hot. Feeling rather lethargic today.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.