Sun Multisport Events
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 33s
Overall Rank = 332/522
Age Group = Clysdale
Age Group Rank = 24/35
Pre-race routine:

Ok, where should I start? First a quick disclaimer. Any negative vibes from this RR are due to me being honest to my competitive side so I can find ways to keep improving each year. Yes I know this is fun, but part of me just loves to improve as I go.

Lets start on Sat. morning. Woke up and got the family out the door for what would become an ill-fated attemt to attend an amusement park in CT. (rained all day sunday so it was a wash out) Went and picked up DK and a tent in Lowell for the Trifury gang.

Got to Cranberry and immidiatley bumped into Sue and Kathy. This was quickly followed by there coach will and his business partner. Checked in, got some stuff done and went out to drive the course with the 3 ladies of BT. Last minute bike course change added about 1 mile and some rough roads.

Got back to camp and DK and I joined Amilin for a quick swim on the course. Glad I did it. First off, it had been about a week since my last swim. Second, now I can say I have gone swimming with a Pro triathlete, and third DK and I got some course issues sorted out. She was swimming inside the bouyes and I miss sighted the last two. I thought they were about 100 yards apart and they were only 10 ft apart so I was way right on the way in off the last bouye.

Got checked in at the hotel, changed and headed for Kathy's house. What a great time. I just wish I had more time there because I did not feel like I got to talk to everyone. Had some great conversations outside with new friends and old. Party broke about 7-7:30 and Celeb-ithil, C2FD and Issisformed a caravan and headed back to the hotel.

I got in the room and debated weather to put my poor mans race wheels on (change the rubber). Turns out I flatted again on the ride down. Apparently my rim tape was on wrong and the Capt. helped me correct it. Decided to keep the training rubber on due to the prolonged rough road sections and my extra tonage. Hit the hay around 10:30. C2FD had left with the Capt. and I was not sure where he went. Around 2 AM he came stroling in and said he just drove the course! Only latter did I find out he kept poor Isis up all night with the late drive :)

Sat. AM, woke up and started to pack the car back up, C2FD went back to bed with a 6:30 wake up call. Met the Capt. and his DW for breakfast, soon to be joined by Polly and her son. We decided to wake C2FD at 6 anyway. Took off to pick up DK and set up in transition.

It was about 6:30 when we got there and started to unpack. I needed to pee, but was sure I would have no time. By the time I set up my transition, 3 tents (2 for BT and one Trifury), the banners, chairs etc with DK, time was running short...too short. Finaly squared away transition and made it to the water as the first wave was about the go, 5 minutes before mine!
Event warmup:

Gasbagged less than usual and ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Met up with Julia from CO. Unfortuantly, I do not think I saw her again at the event, such a shame since she seemed like such a nice lady.
Swim
  • 24m 45s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOW!! very differnt swim for me and the results show! I tried to get to the front of the wave and did a poor job before the horn went off. Tried to wedge my way out durring the first 200. Somehow, I think I was on more people than in the water. Kept getting squeezed by one on each side, so I tried to drop back a couple of times and just draft. That only caused me to ride up there butt. I then attempted to go outside and pass only to be droped fast. Then I realize (three years of tris to figure this out), that a draft can be on someones heels and between two others, along with inside the main line of swimmers.

Got to the first big left turn and felt like I was in a whirlpool in a backyard pool. That draft with 5 wide on the heels of others was insane! From then on, I took my beating in the washing machine like a man, and kept going. Realy glad I picked up a pair of tinted googles. Huge help swimming back into the sun. My stroke was not as smooth as I would like, but since I was using my forams to keep my jaw from getting clocked, I can understand.
What would you do differently?:

Train for the swim in a mosh pit :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

ok, I have mixed feelings about T1. I had a very good time, better than last year, but lost about 40-60 seconds due to a race prep issue. I had forgotten to put the strap back on to my aero bottle and did not want to loose it on the course. First I am too cheep, I did not want to run it over and crash and lastly did not want the littering penalty. So I "racked" my bike on a different rack, ran back and threw my bottle back on my gear (nice shot from 30 ft away BTW). Hussled out and got going

spend more time in T prep and get it right.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 20s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

held back on my fluids to conserve. Should not have done that. Did not get dehidrated, but I think it was the start of my stomach issues. Started to get light headed about 10 miles out and realized, that for me, I had not eaten enough since Sat. AM. All my fault...too much gasbagging, not enough focusing on the race. Would not change it for anything. Started to suck down some of the gel/water mix I had in the flask in the back of my BT top. Helped a lot.

Out on the course, just bast the nasty stuff, I came up on the back of a guy I had been trading places with for over 12 miles. I would catch him on a hill and he would pull away on a flat. Just as I was about to pass, two other riders came up to over take us. I got behind them to complete my pass. As luck would have it the head offical passed as this happened! She watched me like a hawk to make sure I completed my pass. No penalty!!

Realized about 20 miles in my bike training was lacking. Not enough rides in the past 3 weeks and definatly not enough hammer workouts to push my reserves up. Was slower pace than last year, and last year I held back a little. The average speed was down too, but that is partly due to a 1 mile add on due to the course change that dose not show in the offical distances.

Made sure I pushed hard and felt the pain, but not as much as Lowell last year where I granaded.

Better workouts the last 6 weeks before an A race. Last year about 6 weeks out I blew up in Lowell and had a hard ride with Trifury about 3 weeks out. It is not all about the distance, but also what you do with it...lesson learned. Overall still very happy with the ride. Would have been even with last year or better without the extra mile add on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Well, so much for not trying new things on race day. I have occasinaly practiced ridding with feet on shoes, but always mess up the dismount. Decided I needed to make up a few seconds from the T1, plus my rack was in the back of transtion, so I did not want to run with my shoes on again, if I could help it. Worked out great! Had an awsome T2. Decided on the last miles of the bike to go no socks. I have been training that way all season, and just made up my mind to do it for a 10K on race day.

Learn to do the flying dismount.
Run
  • 58m 18s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out quick and started to chase a guy that ended up passing me in the finish cute to beet me by 18 seconds and 1 place in the C standings. Ended up jawing with a guy for about 4 miles. We talked about training, his twins, and tons of other stuff. I jokingly said that I hoped to pass Max on mile 5. I also said I would race him down the chute after the final turn. As luck would have it we had a BT bundle at mile 5. I caught Max, just after JP caught the two of us, follewed soon after by Isis. We could have stoped there and held a BT party! As all this was going on, I commented to the gent I was runnig with that either I was getting slower or he was picking up the pace. He admited that he was holding back not to granade. Turns out he picked up 3:32 on me in the last 1.5 miles or so. Guess he was sandbagging :) My splits were resonable after the first two miles, not quite sure what happened there. We got tons of comments about how we must not be racing hard since we could be heard about a 1/4 mile away :)

splits
miles 1 and 2 19.05
mile 3 9.37
mile 4 9.17
mile 5 9.12
mile 6 9.30
chute 1.33
talk about cool negative splits, guess I was slowing down after finding Max.Was not sure I could catch him after he took me down on the bike after about 12 miles.

Get my bike situation better so I can run the 10K around 9's all the way. Know I have that run in me, but was very spent. Prommised myself it would be all left on the course or a DNF, guess mission complete.
Post race
Warm down:

if I said anything more than gasbag I would be lying. Went to the chute to cheer on the BTers in latter waves. TAGP, as always finshed strong. DK was in great form and spirts. Saw Sue, C2FD, Tri Again and Kathy come in. Sorry if I missed anyone else comming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do an off season lifting program with some maintance and better focused key workouts, particularly on the bike.

Event comments:

Can I sign up yet for next year! At the rate of growth with the BT croud and this race we should see about 40-50 racer/voulenteers at this event next year. Too cool if we do. We would have about 10% of the entire field with those kind of numbers.

And how could I forget the awards. As predicted Isis brought home hardware again! She keeps saying not this time and dose it again.

I am not sure I deserved it, but Trimom217 gave me and DK ( she deserved it as much as anyone else) the tough cookie award. After seeing JP's photos of bloody nips, my PR just seems to pale in comparison. :) All the same I am honored to be the first recipiant of the Resident Matriarcks first ever Tough Cookie award :)

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:45 | 1408 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/35
Overall: 212/522
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleevless
Course: hour glass shapped allong the shore line
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:20 | 24.9 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/35
Overall: 332/522
Performance: Average
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Gentle hills for the most part, and some knarly broken asphalt for about 2 miles. Overall, safer and still fun
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:18 | 06.2 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/35
Overall: 392/522
Performance: Good
Course: gentel hills except after mile 5, and still not that big.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 8:52 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon

2006-08-28 8:57 PM
in reply to: #525099

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon
Great race Joe Congrats onthe PR   Good to finally meet you!!! and glad the tummy is better today
2006-08-28 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great race and PB!

I did see you talking with head official before the race.....

You clearly had a super weekend and enjoyed spending time with all of us.

As I swam your thoughts about the finish popped into my head and it saved me time..everyone else swam way to the right...I made it straight in no extra yards for me. As did a couple of your comments about the bike course....funny how some stuff sticks with you.

BT party on mile 5 how cool!

Great race...fun to hang out with you...can't wait for next year!

2006-08-28 9:04 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
nice race Joe.  Thanks for the chuckle about 'gasbagging.'  LOL  You had an awesome race and it was fun to finally meet you.
2006-08-28 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Great race, Joe!! Your times rock!

You guys had a fun time...I'm jealous!!

I wonder if you all stayed at the hotel that I was booked into...the one that had lost my reservation anyways!!

2006-08-28 9:31 PM

User image

Pro
MA

great race Joe, and a fun report starting from the day before. 

I guess that sun just hide on me.  I don't see it in my entire swim, which makes my sighting easy. I did even get much tan on the bike with absolutely no sun screen - I tend to get tan easily. 

I'd better work hard on the bike to go ride with you again, or I'll be slowing you down on the trainings. 

Great job on the run - right, you're OnTheRun. 

Thanks for the ride.  Hope your fam's trip wasn't as bad as it sounded. 

2006-08-29 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race Joe and congrats on the PR!!
2006-08-29 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Wow! Very fast times - especially holding that pace for the run.
2006-08-29 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Hey Joe

Great to see you again.  Nice job on the race!  I'll be there next year

2006-08-29 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Hey Joe,

Nice meeting you.    Congrats on a great race!    I'll see you there next year for sure!

2006-08-29 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Great race Joe!!  And great to meet you.  I'll definately be back for next year's race!!  Sorry I couldn't hang out for the party afterwards, but my family was overwhelming!  This was the first time my parents, my in-laws, and my sisters had been to a triathlon.  IT WAS GREAT!!    Loved the course.  CONGRATS on a great race

2006-08-29 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
CONGRATS on PB Joe..!! You had a good race & a good time- doesn't get any better than that.
As a ringleader of Team BT you rock- Great to see you again-!
2006-08-29 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Looks great!  Nice job, Joe!
2006-08-29 12:56 PM

User image

Master
CT
Nice splits Joe!—you did great!
2006-08-29 3:41 PM

Nice work. I met you on the run since I too could hear your conversation for several miles. You were moving pretty quick. Imagine what you could do if you stopped talking!!

Nice job!
2006-08-29 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Hey Joe, Great race! Thanks for the advice right before the start about the bike course. You were doing so much I thought you were going to forget about actually racing!

As for "gasbagging" on the run, didn't your friend make a joke as I passed about us having a long conversation. It was a blast meeting you and enjoying the race.

2006-08-29 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,

Great Race!  Certainly was a fantastic weekend.  Glad I got to meet you at Kathy's.   Looking forward to meeting up at future races.

2006-08-29 7:20 PM

New user

Hi Joe,

This is the guy you talked with for the first 4 miles of the run. I just wanted to swing by and say thanks for the gab session it made the run fly by. By the way I only came in bout a minute ahead of you on the run. I wish I was fast enough to put 3 min. into anyone in a mile and a half.

Hope to see you at future races.

Rich

2006-08-30 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Hey, way to PR!!!

It's fun to do at least one race that you do every year so you can see improvement!

I'm glad you had a fun time with the BT crowd!

2006-08-30 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Joe! Man, I read DK's, Sue's, and your race report, and every one of y'all were hauling on the swim, at least compared to my slow *ss.

Sounds like you had a good time, gasbagging and all!
2006-08-31 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
You do rock joe!! Excellent race!  Twas a fun day , thanks for your part in making the day a hit!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed