BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-12-09 10:17 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I've kept all my race numbers (most of them pressed into a big old atlas - if anyone with GoogleMaps remembers what those are!).  Not so much the shirts - too dang many!  Have the medals mostly on hangers in the back of the closet (mine and Kim's have added up) with trophies (just a few of those) on various closet shelves.

Almost tossed them all in the last move, but got sentimental...  Had we both been actively racing and adding to the pile, it might have been a fresh start!

Matt

I have a display thing for my wall that is basically a painted piece of wood with hooks.  I keep the most recent bib on top.  I like it :-D

It's similar to this one.  I really need to get a binder and put some of the older bibs away because my current one is kinda overflowing!

All the medal talk made me think for a minute or two. I am currently in purge mode. So, a ton of shirts recently went to Goodwill. Medals were sent a while ago to someone who was doing something for Haitian youth. Bibs end up in the garbage after a while. I probably have pictures of all of it though.

However, DD2 made me a shadow box a while ago that contains some of the first stuff. WDW HM, first triathlon, and a few other items. Bibs and medals. and a few medals do hang off my guitar rack in the music room/ 

2016-12-09 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Anne-Marie - Ragnar Trail Relay on Friday/Saturday
Robin NC - Hanukkah 8k on Saturday
Stacey
- Hillarys Tri on Sunday
Justin - Dallas Marathon on Sunday
Yanti - City of Joondalup Triathlon on Sunday (doing fly for the swim portion and wearing Crocs for the run)

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List:
Robin K. - under the weather

Race well everyone!, Enjoy the weekend.

I hope you feel better soon, Robin.

2016-12-09 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Stacey
- Hillarys Tri on Sunday
Yanti - City of Joondalup Triathlon on Sunday (doing fly for the swim portion and wearing Crocs for the run)

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List:

Go racers! Looks like some fun stuff.

2016-12-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

I've kept all my race numbers (most of them pressed into a big old atlas - if anyone with GoogleMaps remembers what those are!).  Not so much the shirts - too dang many!  Have the medals mostly on hangers in the back of the closet (mine and Kim's have added up) with trophies (just a few of those) on various closet shelves.

Almost tossed them all in the last move, but got sentimental...  Had we both been actively racing and adding to the pile, it might have been a fresh start!

Matt

I have a display thing for my wall that is basically a painted piece of wood with hooks.  I keep the most recent bib on top.  I like it :-D

It's similar to this one.  I really need to get a binder and put some of the older bibs away because my current one is kinda overflowing!

All the medal talk made me think for a minute or two. I am currently in purge mode. So, a ton of shirts recently went to Goodwill. Medals were sent a while ago to someone who was doing something for Haitian youth. Bibs end up in the garbage after a while. I probably have pictures of all of it though.

However, DD2 made me a shadow box a while ago that contains some of the first stuff. WDW HM, first triathlon, and a few other items. Bibs and medals. and a few medals do hang off my guitar rack in the music room/ 

Kim actually bought me a nice "rolodex" deal (again, for anyone who remembers that far back to what a rolodex is) where you can put the bib's each in a plastic sleeve and they flip.  You can keep the most recent or any other one at the front.  Really nice, actually, but I have yet to sit down and put them all in... 

Maybe this weekend after I modify the pain cave. 

2016-12-09 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Stacey
- Hillarys Tri on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List:

GO RACERS!

And heal up Robin. Quick-like.

That is all.

Matt

2016-12-09 4:44 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Stacey
- Hillarys Tri on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List:

Good luck Racers, I am jealous!!!

2016-12-09 6:36 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yanti!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T RUN IN CROCS!! If my track kids show up to practice in Crocs or flip-flops, I make them run barefoot (we train on grass). I tell them if it is good enough for the young Kenyan runners, it is good enough for you. Seriously, those things are a safety hazard. Better yet, don't run, period. Didn't you get in enough mileage last week?

Or am I just not tough enough to be an Ironwoman? In my mind, a week after an IM, I might be starting to think about going for a leisurely walk. Or maybe not. (However, given my actual job and life, I would probably be told the next day to teach a bunch of kids how to triple-jump.)

Have fun with the fly swim. How long is it? (Yep, it's amazing, but for those who don't know, fly is easier in the ocean, at least in my case. There's way more buoyancy.)
2016-12-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I had hung all my bibs with rope along the sofits in my basement work out room. My few metals just sat on a shelf but I might do something with them at the new house.
2016-12-10 12:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Stacey
- Hillarys Tri on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List:

Go Anne-Marie, Robin, Justin and Yanti.

Yanti and I are actually doing the same race. She did the butterfly swim and croc thing last year and still beat me.
2016-12-10 6:35 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO HORNY MELON!!!
GO STACE FACE AND ME!!!

GO JUSTIN!!!

{MELON PRESS} for Forti

I might not do the butterfly bit no guarantee on the Crocs. I really like 'em. I know the Filipino IronCroc guy

2016-12-10 8:43 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ouch--don't even wanna think about it! I think I would rather run barefoot! How long is the race?

I have an FTP test tomorrow. Does that count as racing? Somehow not too motivating when I know it's going to be a question of, "Let's see how much fitness I've lost in the last three months!"

2016-12-10 9:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ouch--don't even wanna think about it! I think I would rather run barefoot! How long is the race? I have an FTP test tomorrow. Does that count as racing? Somehow not too motivating when I know it's going to be a question of, "Let's see how much fitness I've lost in the last three months!"

You'll be doing max effort, right? 

2016-12-10 5:18 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I ask this question about once a year or so - and so far haven't pulled the trigger.  Buuuuuuut, since the new pain cave is largely set up, it's a good reason to reconsider!  Here goes:

If you were to get a smart trainer (erg mode kinda thing), and were going for the best available, what would you get? 

I am going to bring zwift online the week before Christmas (busy week this week) and next step is a responsive trainer to replace my (very) old Cyclops mag trainer (all corroded up, but still working - so not a critical issue just yet).

I'm hoping that it'll help make the indoor stuff a bit more entertaining...

Thanks for any/all opinions!

Matt

2016-12-10 9:50 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ouch--don't even wanna think about it! I think I would rather run barefoot! How long is the race? I have an FTP test tomorrow. Does that count as racing? Somehow not too motivating when I know it's going to be a question of, "Let's see how much fitness I've lost in the last three months!"

You'll be doing max effort, right? 

That reminds me, not quite sure exactly where mine is right now with the lesser riding. Over threshold is definitely down, though some is just not wanting to push that hard at the moment. Just under seems quite strong. A ride a couple weeks ago I just rode strong and held an IF over 0.90 for 70-75 minutes, which is also over 300 watts. And it really wasn't difficult. 

2016-12-10 11:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh...cannot say either for myself. On the test, I am down about 16-17 watts. I think some of it may just be not being used to that level of suffering anymore. Max HR was down about 5 BPM, as was average. But similar pattern otherwise to my other tests--I always start feeling like total crap around 8 minutes, which is pretty much when my HR reaches its max. Then it just stays the same until the end. Weird but true--I am the queen of zero (or, sometimes when running in cool conditions, negative) cardiac drift! I had a VI of 1.00 for the test. This is true even when I am not looking at the PM--a few weeks before Worlds I did a 30-minute trial when I wasn't allowed to look at the meter, and HR was also steady after the first 5 minutes; VI of (I think) 1.01! I am not fast, but at least I am steady--that probably matters more for longer events.

My last FTP test was in late June, and pretty much all the training I did after that was focused on HIM race pacing, plus taper/recovery for two HIM in late July and early September. The maintenance program I followed from October through Dec. 4 didn't have a lot of sustained top-end efforts--mostly strength work and high-cadence spin-ups. I'm also doing the test on a different trainer here (Cyclo-ops fluid here vs. magneto in Oregon) and the resistance works a little differently. For top-end efforts, maybe because I'm lightweight and the strength to push big gears is NOT my forte, it really matters for me to be able to find my "happy gearing place" and for some reason that seemed a bit easier with the other set-up. But it is still about 7-8 watts off my last test here (before Vietnam 70.3) so can't entirely blame the trainer!

Let's just say that even at my fittest, I'd be really happy to be within 100 watts of you! I think right now the best I could do for 70-75 minutes "might" be about 170. Or maybe not.....And it would not be easy.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-12-10 11:48 PM
2016-12-11 8:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

You have something to work with at least. Maybe enough history to figure it out from a less than perfect test? I sure haven't been hitting test worthy HR values in a bit.

That harder, steady ride I did before called back some other discussion from in the group. Like with nutrition. I had run that morning and included a little bit of faster work. Had eaten well during the day, but had nothing except water out on the ride. Ate after and things were generally fine.

Another thing was with workout type. The year had largely been quite polarized, near everything hard was up at about 100% FTP or (more often) higher. Even the occasional 2x20'. Though I hadn't done that, or even a single hard 20' for a couple months before that ride. Basically 10' or less for intervals.

2016-12-11 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Yanit and I had a good race on the weekend. We didn't come last this year there were at least 4 people slower than us

I am so over 2016 - I just want it to be finished now. A friend of mine died of Friday and it has really knocked me about, especially today for some reason. He was a wonderful man, a great mentor and it just frickin sucks!!!!
2016-12-11 9:45 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanit and I had a good race on the weekend. We didn't come last this year there were at least 4 people slower than us I am so over 2016 - I just want it to be finished now. A friend of mine died of Friday and it has really knocked me about, especially today for some reason. He was a wonderful man, a great mentor and it just frickin sucks!!!!

Oh, Stacey, I am so sorry to hear about your friend.  2016 has not been very nice to a lot of the pod!  Sending hugs.

2016-12-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I ask this question about once a year or so - and so far haven't pulled the trigger.  Buuuuuuut, since the new pain cave is largely set up, it's a good reason to reconsider!  Here goes:

If you were to get a smart trainer (erg mode kinda thing), and were going for the best available, what would you get? 

I am going to bring zwift online the week before Christmas (busy week this week) and next step is a responsive trainer to replace my (very) old Cyclops mag trainer (all corroded up, but still working - so not a critical issue just yet).

Matt

I'm still happy with my Kicker, but then, I've only really tried one smart trainer. In my opinion, I'd go with a direct drive option (wheel off) as opposed to the wheel on variety for consistency in bike attachment. Janyne may have something to say about the Snap and how Kevin has got along with the wheel on variety. There's quite a favourable write up from DC https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/tacx-flux-trainer-depth-review.h... that looks like a good alternative to the higher priced Kicker. With a 400 buck saving, you could put it toward a pair of powertap pedals if you were worried about accuracy. Anyway, what's with the indoor rides? With all that terrible weather y'all get in Austin
2016-12-12 9:34 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Matt

I'm still happy with my Kicker, but then, I've only really tried one smart trainer. In my opinion, I'd go with a direct drive option (wheel off) as opposed to the wheel on variety for consistency in bike attachment. Janyne may have something to say about the Snap and how Kevin has got along with the wheel on variety. There's quite a favourable write up from DC https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/tacx-flux-trainer-depth-review.h... that looks like a good alternative to the higher priced Kicker. With a 400 buck saving, you could put it toward a pair of powertap pedals if you were worried about accuracy. Anyway, what's with the indoor rides? With all that terrible weather y'all get in Austin

I'm still rocking my Kurt Kinetic, but smart trainers are alluring.  I think a smart trainer is better for Zwift.  Though I do TrainerRoad, and get by just fine with my dumb trainer.

2016-12-12 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanit and I had a good race on the weekend. We didn't come last this year there were at least 4 people slower than us

I'm glad that you had fun and jealous that you got to see Yanti!

I am so over 2016 - I just want it to be finished now. A friend of mine died of Friday and it has really knocked me about, especially today for some reason. He was a wonderful man, a great mentor and it just frickin sucks!!!!

{{hugs}}

2016-12-12 11:01 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanit and I had a good race on the weekend. We didn't come last this year there were at least 4 people slower than us I am so over 2016 - I just want it to be finished now. A friend of mine died of Friday and it has really knocked me about, especially today for some reason. He was a wonderful man, a great mentor and it just frickin sucks!!!!

So sorry to hear about your friend, Stacey.  (((hugs)))

2016-12-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Matt

I'm still rocking my Kurt Kinetic, but smart trainers are alluring.  I think a smart trainer is better for Zwift.  Though I do TrainerRoad, and get by just fine with my dumb trainer.

I don't even use the programs. I haven't given that serious of thought to any of these. Direct vs wheel on I'm kind of meh on as I don't really care. Just get the job done. Whichever particular unit did best would get it, not the tech theme. I'm also fairly hung up on having the rocking motion of my current trainer. For now, the only thing that will do that is the fairly new Kinetic smart trainer, but don't know anything about it other than they now have one. I've also had the reverse issue of many when going from trainer to outdoors in that I've been better on the trainer. The rock-n-roll fixed that for me. An aspect I would look at is how quickly the unit changes power. For longer intervals it's not as big of a deal, but for shorter things (like the 1'/1' of Revolver), taking 15 seconds to ramp up (or down) is a long time and could affect the workout.

2016-12-12 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Matt

I don't even use the programs. I haven't given that serious of thought to any of these. Direct vs wheel on I'm kind of meh on as I don't really care. Just get the job done. Whichever particular unit did best would get it, not the tech theme. I'm also fairly hung up on having the rocking motion of my current trainer. For now, the only thing that will do that is the fairly new Kinetic smart trainer, but don't know anything about it other than they now have one. I've also had the reverse issue of many when going from trainer to outdoors in that I've been better on the trainer. The rock-n-roll fixed that for me. An aspect I would look at is how quickly the unit changes power. For longer intervals it's not as big of a deal, but for shorter things (like the 1'/1' of Revolver), taking 15 seconds to ramp up (or down) is a long time and could affect the workout.

I think the new smart Kinetic trainer has  been the worst received of all the new trainers.  Of course, my biases come via DCRainmaker.  

I find TrainerRoad excellent for just getting the job done.  It's been incredible for my indoor training.  I think they gave me a month-free coupon to share, if you're interested in checking it out.  I'm a firm believer now.

As for the smart trainers, i think they change power load in 3-5 seconds.  I don't think anyone would want an instantaneous change.

2016-12-12 1:09 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Matt

I think the new smart Kinetic trainer has  been the worst received of all the new trainers.  Of course, my biases come via DCRainmaker.  

I find TrainerRoad excellent for just getting the job done.  It's been incredible for my indoor training.  I think they gave me a month-free coupon to share, if you're interested in checking it out.  I'm a firm believer now.

As for the smart trainers, i think they change power load in 3-5 seconds.  I don't think anyone would want an instantaneous change.

Yeah, will see as things progress for Kinetic. DC noted that it was all in the programming, so could easily change at any time. Another reason I've held off. First time out for them, so bound to be something to work out. I wouldn't necessarily get it just yet, but wouldn't write them off either because of the nature of the complaint being quite fixable.

I don't think you'd want instant resistance changes either, just watching out for them being really slow. I've ridden a computrainer a couple times and that was fine. I forget which of the others had some earlier gripes with that. It may have been adjusted by now too.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.