BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-12-12 2:45 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanit and I had a good race on the weekend. We didn't come last this year there were at least 4 people slower than us I am so over 2016 - I just want it to be finished now. A friend of mine died of Friday and it has really knocked me about, especially today for some reason. He was a wonderful man, a great mentor and it just frickin sucks!!!!

Oh no, Stacey! I am so sorry for your loss.

2016-12-12 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanit and I had a good race on the weekend. We didn't come last this year there were at least 4 people slower than us I am so over 2016 - I just want it to be finished now. A friend of mine died of Friday and it has really knocked me about, especially today for some reason. He was a wonderful man, a great mentor and it just frickin sucks!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's amazing the number of people who are over 2016.  I hope 2017 is better for all!

2016-12-12 3:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

It's amazing the number of people who are over 2016.  I hope 2017 is better for all!

I guess what's really dumb is to think that the number at the end of the date will change the way I feel - like some magic little stroke of the pen. I guess a bit like New Years resolutions. I guess if you can start a great new habit on 01/01/2017 you can start it just as well on 12/12/2016 or any other day if the motivation is enough.

(I guess I'm doing a lot of guessing )

Edited by StaceyK 2016-12-12 3:32 PM
2016-12-12 5:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

I guess what's really dumb is to think that the number at the end of the date will change the way I feel - like some magic little stroke of the pen. I guess a bit like New Years resolutions. I guess if you can start a great new habit on 01/01/2017 you can start it just as well on 12/12/2016 or any other day if the motivation is enough. (I guess I'm doing a lot of guessing )

I've felt like that too, however, this year I've had that little feeling growing and hoping it does do something. A little bit ago was someone I knew a long time ago, that swim team kid the first night back to masters, and just last week a grade school teacher from way back when.

2016-12-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

I guess what's really dumb is to think that the number at the end of the date will change the way I feel - like some magic little stroke of the pen. I guess a bit like New Years resolutions. I guess if you can start a great new habit on 01/01/2017 you can start it just as well on 12/12/2016 or any other day if the motivation is enough. (I guess I'm doing a lot of guessing )

I've felt like that too, however, this year I've had that little feeling growing and hoping it does do something. A little bit ago was someone I knew a long time ago, that swim team kid the first night back to masters, and just last week a grade school teacher from way back when.

So sorry for your loss, Stacey!
I do hope that 2017 will be better, although, I agree that it's just a number. And a good year for one may be a horrible year for someone else. Ehh... life :/
2016-12-13 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm sorry Stacey.  I'll pray for you.

2016-12-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas
hey all. checkin in. Stacey, so sorry for your loss.

Lots of running going on at my casa right now. I'm doing a big running block this winter and trying to do more standalone running races to get more competitive at the IM branded events (just 70.3 for the foreseeable future).

Also, my wife has taken up running and I've been running with her a lot lately which we've both really enjoyed. She had joined a running group to prepare for the Houston marathon in January but they did too much intensity and she was continually hurt. I took over her training about 2.5 months ago and put her on the barryp plan of tons of endurance miles. She's doing great and is going to crush the marathon.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season! We had #texascold weather for a few days last week but it's already back to warm and humid. I ran in pants and two long sleeve shirts plus hat/gloves on Saturday morning, then ran in only shorts and shoes on Sunday morning. lol Texas
2016-12-13 10:05 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yanti!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T RUN IN CROCS!! If my track kids show up to practice in Crocs or flip-flops, I make them run barefoot (we train on grass). I tell them if it is good enough for the young Kenyan runners, it is good enough for you. Seriously, those things are a safety hazard. Better yet, don't run, period. Didn't you get in enough mileage last week?

Or am I just not tough enough to be an Ironwoman? In my mind, a week after an IM, I might be starting to think about going for a leisurely walk. Or maybe not. (However, given my actual job and life, I would probably be told the next day to teach a bunch of kids how to triple-jump.)

Have fun with the fly swim. How long is it? (Yep, it's amazing, but for those who don't know, fly is easier in the ocean, at least in my case. There's way more buoyancy.)

His marathon PR is 2:23:57, which Sasha Pachev ran in 2006 at the St. George Marathon, wearing lightweight racing flats.

He also has a Crocs PR of 2:31:52, which he ran in 2010 at the Utah Valley Marathon. Wearing rubber clogs.

Pachev, 41, lives in Orem, Utah, and first discovered Crocs as a running shoe in 2008, when he and several of his children were heading out for a run together one morning. (He and his wife have eight kids, ranging in age from 19 months to 15 years, with a ninth due in September.) The Pachevs are a running family, and dad tracks the youngsters' PRs.

As any parent with small children knows, no matter how fast you are on the roads, there are few ways to speed up getting out the door in the morning. "If you're taking seven kids for a run and they don't know how to tie their shoelaces, and you're in a hurry to get your day started, that could be a challenge," Pachev says.

But his children taught him the Crocs shortcut. "I said, 'Guys, put on real shoes.' " They told him they were fine in Crocs. So he let them go, and they ran better than ever.

Soon the dad tried it and was shocked to find he liked the feel of the Crocs, and they stayed on his feet.

Pachev isn't the only runner who has found comfort in clogs. Ray McClanahan, a Portland, Oregon-based podiatrist, has been putting people in Crocs for years to cure foot problems, including plantar fasciitis.

But for Pachev, who does almost all of his 80 miles per week in Crocs, the motivation is financial. "Probably the No. 1 driver for it is that they're $20 a pair," he says. "That makes it very economical. They last 2,000 miles."

A computer programmer who grew up in Moscow during the Soviet era, Pachev started running at age 11. Athletic footwear was scarce, and he was used to wearing his shoes until there were holes in the bottoms. The conventional wisdom of running only 500 miles in a pair of sneakers seemed unlikely. "You've got Abebe Bikila running barefoot and winning the Olympics in 1960," he says. "So this idea of running in a nontraditional shoe was never strange to me."

What he didn't anticipate was the mental edge he'd gain in races. "There's the shock factor on the competition," he says. "They look at you and go, 'Who's this idiot wearing Crocs?' You're with them two-thirds of the way through, and the thought is in their minds: 'This guy should not be with me.' If that thought crosses your mind, you've lost the race."

http://www.runnersworld.com/masters/the-croc-runner
2016-12-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black hey all. checkin in. Stacey, so sorry for your loss. Lots of running going on at my casa right now. I'm doing a big running block this winter and trying to do more standalone running races to get more competitive at the IM branded events (just 70.3 for the foreseeable future). Also, my wife has taken up running and I've been running with her a lot lately which we've both really enjoyed. She had joined a running group to prepare for the Houston marathon in January but they did too much intensity and she was continually hurt. I took over her training about 2.5 months ago and put her on the barryp plan of tons of endurance miles. She's doing great and is going to crush the marathon. I hope everyone is having a great holiday season! We had #texascold weather for a few days last week but it's already back to warm and humid. I ran in pants and two long sleeve shirts plus hat/gloves on Saturday morning, then ran in only shorts and shoes on Sunday morning. lol Texas

Wow, it got up to 14 today!

2016-12-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still, I am not jumping on the Crocs bandwagon! Maybe wouldn't be too bad if the Crocs actually fit--our kids always show up in ones that are at least a couple sizes too big. We had several fairly serious playground injuries after kids literally ran out of their Crocs and fell; now they are banned for PE and sports. To each his own, I guess. I'll take barefoot any day over Crocs. I have, actually, run (though not races) in Tevas a few times when I'd forgotten running shoes on a trip, but they have a bit better traction.

Shock factor would be cool, though. In my case, I don't "look" like a triathlete anyway, so I don't look too threatening.
2016-12-14 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh no!  I'm so sorry to hear this, Ben!

2016-12-14 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black hey all. checkin in. Stacey, so sorry for your loss. Lots of running going on at my casa right now. I'm doing a big running block this winter and trying to do more standalone running races to get more competitive at the IM branded events (just 70.3 for the foreseeable future). Also, my wife has taken up running and I've been running with her a lot lately which we've both really enjoyed. She had joined a running group to prepare for the Houston marathon in January but they did too much intensity and she was continually hurt. I took over her training about 2.5 months ago and put her on the barryp plan of tons of endurance miles. She's doing great and is going to crush the marathon. I hope everyone is having a great holiday season! We had #texascold weather for a few days last week but it's already back to warm and humid. I ran in pants and two long sleeve shirts plus hat/gloves on Saturday morning, then ran in only shorts and shoes on Sunday morning. lol Texas

#ChicagoHeatWave

2016-12-14 9:48 AM

User image

Happy hump day everyone! Stacey, sorry for your loss.

Quick update from Dallas, following Sunday's marathon, my legs are finally starting to feel somewhat normal again. It's been a long time since I've had every muscle in my body hurt while trying to get up from my desk. Good times ! I can only imagine how much worse the pain would have been if I did even half of it in Crocs. I've personally never owned a pair as I've always been a flip flop guy but now that my son is running all over the place I'm thinking I should pick up a pair for him. Between growing so quickly and completely wearing out everything he owns, anything that's durable and he won't take off the second I put on him is a good buy in my book!
2016-12-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

So sorry to hear about your friend, Stacey.  (((hugs)))

Awww Stacey, I am so sorry.

2016-12-14 10:41 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

#ChicagoHeatWave

There is some -10 to -15 floating around the forecast. Holding off so far as last weekend's storm seems to have pushed it out some.

2016-12-14 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Oh no!  I'm so sorry to hear this, Ben!

Stacey and Ben, sorry to hear these.  2016 was tough, but hoping 2017 is great for you both.  For the whole pod, too.

Matt

2016-12-14 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I ask this question about once a year or so - and so far haven't pulled the trigger.  Buuuuuuut, since the new pain cave is largely set up, it's a good reason to reconsider!  Here goes:

If you were to get a smart trainer (erg mode kinda thing), and were going for the best available, what would you get? 

I am going to bring zwift online the week before Christmas (busy week this week) and next step is a responsive trainer to replace my (very) old Cyclops mag trainer (all corroded up, but still working - so not a critical issue just yet).

I'm hoping that it'll help make the indoor stuff a bit more entertaining...

Thanks for any/all opinions!

Matt

I'm still happy with my Kicker, but then, I've only really tried one smart trainer. In my opinion, I'd go with a direct drive option (wheel off) as opposed to the wheel on variety for consistency in bike attachment. Janyne may have something to say about the Snap and how Kevin has got along with the wheel on variety. There's quite a favourable write up from DC https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/tacx-flux-trainer-depth-review.h... that looks like a good alternative to the higher priced Kicker. With a 400 buck saving, you could put it toward a pair of powertap pedals if you were worried about accuracy. Anyway, what's with the indoor rides? With all that terrible weather y'all get in Austin

I'm still rocking my Kurt Kinetic, but smart trainers are alluring.  I think a smart trainer is better for Zwift.  Though I do TrainerRoad, and get by just fine with my dumb trainer.

I don't even use the programs. I haven't given that serious of thought to any of these. Direct vs wheel on I'm kind of meh on as I don't really care. Just get the job done. Whichever particular unit did best would get it, not the tech theme. I'm also fairly hung up on having the rocking motion of my current trainer. For now, the only thing that will do that is the fairly new Kinetic smart trainer, but don't know anything about it other than they now have one. I've also had the reverse issue of many when going from trainer to outdoors in that I've been better on the trainer. The rock-n-roll fixed that for me. An aspect I would look at is how quickly the unit changes power. For longer intervals it's not as big of a deal, but for shorter things (like the 1'/1' of Revolver), taking 15 seconds to ramp up (or down) is a long time and could affect the workout.

I think the new smart Kinetic trainer has  been the worst received of all the new trainers.  Of course, my biases come via DCRainmaker.  

I find TrainerRoad excellent for just getting the job done.  It's been incredible for my indoor training.  I think they gave me a month-free coupon to share, if you're interested in checking it out.  I'm a firm believer now.

As for the smart trainers, i think they change power load in 3-5 seconds.  I don't think anyone would want an instantaneous change.

Yeah, will see as things progress for Kinetic. DC noted that it was all in the programming, so could easily change at any time. Another reason I've held off. First time out for them, so bound to be something to work out. I wouldn't necessarily get it just yet, but wouldn't write them off either because of the nature of the complaint being quite fixable.

I don't think you'd want instant resistance changes either, just watching out for them being really slow. I've ridden a computrainer a couple times and that was fine. I forget which of the others had some earlier gripes with that. It may have been adjusted by now too.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Tough part is that my requirements are a bit squishy.  On the one hand, I'm looking for a smart trainer to make rides a bit more enjoyable (Zwift and such). 

On the other, for just grinding out training, my PM and a plan have been working just fine on the dumb trainer - the upgrade there would be a better plan or a bike focus (which I am considering after the couple races Kim and I recently signed up for), not a smarter machine.  Not sure if I'm going to jump back into tri quite so hard as before, but I'm feeling the pull, so want to be ready AND be able to have some fun.

So, the smart trainer things is, I suppose, more about having fun on at least some of my indoor rides.  Hard training is enjoyable, even with just the PM on the dumb system, but not what I'd term "fun."

#firstworldproblems

Matt

2016-12-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I ask this question about once a year or so - and so far haven't pulled the trigger.  Buuuuuuut, since the new pain cave is largely set up, it's a good reason to reconsider!  Here goes:

If you were to get a smart trainer (erg mode kinda thing), and were going for the best available, what would you get? 

I am going to bring zwift online the week before Christmas (busy week this week) and next step is a responsive trainer to replace my (very) old Cyclops mag trainer (all corroded up, but still working - so not a critical issue just yet).

I'm hoping that it'll help make the indoor stuff a bit more entertaining...

Thanks for any/all opinions!

Matt

I'm still happy with my Kicker, but then, I've only really tried one smart trainer. In my opinion, I'd go with a direct drive option (wheel off) as opposed to the wheel on variety for consistency in bike attachment. Janyne may have something to say about the Snap and how Kevin has got along with the wheel on variety. There's quite a favourable write up from DC https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/12/tacx-flux-trainer-depth-review.h... that looks like a good alternative to the higher priced Kicker. With a 400 buck saving, you could put it toward a pair of powertap pedals if you were worried about accuracy. Anyway, what's with the indoor rides? With all that terrible weather y'all get in Austin

I'm still rocking my Kurt Kinetic, but smart trainers are alluring.  I think a smart trainer is better for Zwift.  Though I do TrainerRoad, and get by just fine with my dumb trainer.

I don't even use the programs. I haven't given that serious of thought to any of these. Direct vs wheel on I'm kind of meh on as I don't really care. Just get the job done. Whichever particular unit did best would get it, not the tech theme. I'm also fairly hung up on having the rocking motion of my current trainer. For now, the only thing that will do that is the fairly new Kinetic smart trainer, but don't know anything about it other than they now have one. I've also had the reverse issue of many when going from trainer to outdoors in that I've been better on the trainer. The rock-n-roll fixed that for me. An aspect I would look at is how quickly the unit changes power. For longer intervals it's not as big of a deal, but for shorter things (like the 1'/1' of Revolver), taking 15 seconds to ramp up (or down) is a long time and could affect the workout.

I think the new smart Kinetic trainer has  been the worst received of all the new trainers.  Of course, my biases come via DCRainmaker.  

I find TrainerRoad excellent for just getting the job done.  It's been incredible for my indoor training.  I think they gave me a month-free coupon to share, if you're interested in checking it out.  I'm a firm believer now.

As for the smart trainers, i think they change power load in 3-5 seconds.  I don't think anyone would want an instantaneous change.

Yeah, will see as things progress for Kinetic. DC noted that it was all in the programming, so could easily change at any time. Another reason I've held off. First time out for them, so bound to be something to work out. I wouldn't necessarily get it just yet, but wouldn't write them off either because of the nature of the complaint being quite fixable.

I don't think you'd want instant resistance changes either, just watching out for them being really slow. I've ridden a computrainer a couple times and that was fine. I forget which of the others had some earlier gripes with that. It may have been adjusted by now too.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Tough part is that my requirements are a bit squishy.  On the one hand, I'm looking for a smart trainer to make rides a bit more enjoyable (Zwift and such). 

On the other, for just grinding out training, my PM and a plan have been working just fine on the dumb trainer - the upgrade there would be a better plan or a bike focus (which I am considering after the couple races Kim and I recently signed up for), not a smarter machine.  Not sure if I'm going to jump back into tri quite so hard as before, but I'm feeling the pull, so want to be ready AND be able to have some fun.

So, the smart trainer things is, I suppose, more about having fun on at least some of my indoor rides.  Hard training is enjoyable, even with just the PM on the dumb system, but not what I'd term "fun."

#firstworldproblems

Matt

If nothing else, the new smart trainers are a heck of a lot quieter!

2016-12-14 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
#Saigon Cold Front. It is supposed to be 73 this morning. The last time it got into the 60's, the government (I am serious here) issued a "cold weather advisory". I believe lowest ever recorded temperature here was 58. Supposedly that was during the war years and people "froze to death". Not sure if that is urban legend, or maybe it was also wet and the combo of that and illness, poor nutrition, no housing, wartime stress, etc. did them in.
2016-12-14 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Balmy 12 F here today. But at least we have 15 mph winds bringing the wind chill below 0 F. It was a good day to ride the trainer.
2016-12-14 9:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

#Saigon Cold Front. It is supposed to be 73 this morning. The last time it got into the 60's, the government (I am serious here) issued a "cold weather advisory". I believe lowest ever recorded temperature here was 58. Supposedly that was during the war years and people "froze to death". Not sure if that is urban legend, or maybe it was also wet and the combo of that and illness, poor nutrition, no housing, wartime stress, etc. did them in.

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy.....

2016-12-15 3:05 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't think it was actually that "cold". Felt like about 78, plus close to 100% humidity. I was still squishing in my shoes after a 50-minute run!
2016-12-16 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

For those that are unaware, we are back.

2016-12-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I missed all of you yesterday!

2016-12-16 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

I missed all of you yesterday!

I was in and out of meetings all day but was surprised that I didn't have 65 BT emails.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.