BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-07-31 8:43 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by Hot Runner I could probably join too, but you can't race and be on the DL list at the same time. Issues with a sore toe (sounds trivial but it sucks to run with one, and transition barefoot really sucks, plus we all know what prolonged time in a bike can do for your toes)--variously diagnosed as a join inflammation and irritated nerve--probably both. Just trying to cut back on running a bit and do everything I can to make it happier until after Worlds. Attempting to post a few pics from the race last week--not sure it will work....it took ages to attach! Swim pic is on the way out to the start ("deep water"). I'm about third from right as have just swum in from warmup. You won't be able to find me unless you have REALLY good eyes--sleeveless Pro-motion suit. That is the run finish on the forest service road, and the podium. (Third place has given up and gone home--awards took forever as there were so many categories (also a du and aqua bike for each race).

Great job on the podium, Karen, and race pics are always welcome!

2017-07-31 8:46 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Florida-based Manatees, I hope that Tropical Storm Emily doens't bring anything but a soaking. Stay safe!

I have avoided the cone of death, but I think Hands may be in for some craptastic weather. We're seeing lots of rain and wind, probably until Wednesday.

So far things are staying south of Orlando, but that can change! My swim workouts are in real jeopardy!!

2017-07-31 8:46 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sending continued healing for all the DLers.  Robin, your kick injury doesn't sound pleasant at all, I hope it heals soon and that your husband stops making the rib jokes!

Speaking of ribs, EFP and I found a single deer rib bone on the trail when we were running yesterday.  It was weird - I saw a bone laying in the path.  He bent down, picked it up and announced it was a deer rib, tossed it aside and we kept going.  The strange part was it was just one rib and also that it was in the middle of the trail.  So weird.

I hope the hurricane doesn't hit you, Hands, and it's good to hear it won't be hitting Chris' area.  Stay safe, just the same.

2017-07-31 9:11 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Sending continued healing for all the DLers.  Robin, your kick injury doesn't sound pleasant at all, I hope it heals soon and that your husband stops making the rib jokes!

Speaking of ribs, EFP and I found a single deer rib bone on the trail when we were running yesterday.  It was weird - I saw a bone laying in the path.  He bent down, picked it up and announced it was a deer rib, tossed it aside and we kept going.  The strange part was it was just one rib and also that it was in the middle of the trail.  So weird.

I hope the hurricane doesn't hit you, Hands, and it's good to hear it won't be hitting Chris' area.  Stay safe, just the same.

I don't think I want to know how EFP knows what a deer rib looks like as compared with any other type of animal!  But, yes, that is really odd. Maybe it dropped as a bear carried his kill through the area 

2017-07-31 4:02 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Glad to hear Florida manatees are safe.

I had a great race yesterday.  Despite tough swim and bike conditions, did exactly what I wanted to do on both and therefore my run was good too .  I had Peter on one shoulder and Todd on the other.  Todd continues to show improvement which is the best news.  I'll try to get a race report up in the next few days.

2017-07-31 4:40 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IronOx

Glad to hear Florida manatees are safe.

I had a great race yesterday.  Despite tough swim and bike conditions, did exactly what I wanted to do on both and therefore my run was good too .  I had Peter on one shoulder and Todd on the other.  Todd continues to show improvement which is the best news.  I'll try to get a race report up in the next few days.

That's wonderful! Great job

2017-08-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Our long term disabled list:

Chirs - PF, heel spur, knee
Mike - recovering from back surgery
Socks - knees
Tom S - recovering from shoulder injury
Yanti - everything :-(
Matt - shoulder
Markus - Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

That's all that I know of :-(

If anyone on this long term list wants to be in the weekly DL report, just let me know. My view has been that if (1) I've asked and been told to leave it for now or (2) I see that you are continuing to train even if it's another discipline (for example, run focused instead of tri focused or bike focus instead of run focus, etc) I tend to think that you are dealing with things. I certainly understand the ups and downs of injuries and that sometimes we just need more support than other times.  And that sometimes we need an off season.

Speaking of needing support, consider checking in with Yanti on FB if you get the chance this week.

CONGRATS KIRSTIRON AND KAREN!!!

Love the pics

Karen, I was just talking about you in my Perth tri club discussion group. One of the other coaches brought up Vietnam as a dream race / bucket list  

NyNy--thank you for the shout out. I did laugh at "everything" ... despite everything, I do get at least one good chuckle a day and that was it.

It really is everything. Quite a few of you have seen me go through some really tough times, and this--in every way--is well past the worst it's been. I described it like this to friends: I wake up every day feeling like a truck ran over me and is still on top. When I do manage to get out of bed, it's mentally and physically like swimming through peanut butter. Then it gets worse.

But I'm at the end of yet another day, I'm still here, I chuckled, and I'm deeply grateful for all of you.

I'm able to get some light stuff in now and again. Last night I had the 3rd decent night of sleep I've had in 7 months, so that was huge. On days I can get some sleep in, I will go and train.

2017-08-01 10:03 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Hey everyone! I'm back in the USA and finally able to catch up on some work and personal stuff (of course including BT!). Of course when you're gone over a week there's way too much banter and news to catch up on but from the last few pages it looks like some of you had great races last weekend, congrats! I'm racing next weekend and just got an email that the current water temp is 86 degrees! I've raced in low 80 degree water before and it was miserable but 86 sounds awful! Other than just mentally preparing myself for a long swim in a hot tub, anyone have any tips for a hot water swim?

2017-08-01 4:42 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Hey everyone! I'm back in the USA and finally able to catch up on some work and personal stuff (of course including BT!). Of course when you're gone over a week there's way too much banter and news to catch up on but from the last few pages it looks like some of you had great races last weekend, congrats! I'm racing next weekend and just got an email that the current water temp is 86 degrees! I've raced in low 80 degree water before and it was miserable but 86 sounds awful! Other than just mentally preparing myself for a long swim in a hot tub, anyone have any tips for a hot water swim?

Absolutely no tips from me, especially since I am a huge fan of cold waters, but I'm glad you're back and I hope you had a relaxing time away
2017-08-01 4:45 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Our long term disabled list:

Chirs - PF, heel spur, knee
Mike - recovering from back surgery
Socks - knees
Tom S - recovering from shoulder injury
Yanti - everything :-(
Matt - shoulder
Markus - Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

That's all that I know of :-(

If anyone on this long term list wants to be in the weekly DL report, just let me know. My view has been that if (1) I've asked and been told to leave it for now or (2) I see that you are continuing to train even if it's another discipline (for example, run focused instead of tri focused or bike focus instead of run focus, etc) I tend to think that you are dealing with things. I certainly understand the ups and downs of injuries and that sometimes we just need more support than other times.  And that sometimes we need an off season.

Speaking of needing support, consider checking in with Yanti on FB if you get the chance this week.

Love the pics

Karen, I was just talking about you in my Perth tri club discussion group. One of the other coaches brought up Vietnam as a dream race / bucket list  

NyNy--thank you for the shout out. I did laugh at "everything" ... despite everything, I do get at least one good chuckle a day and that was it.

It really is everything. Quite a few of you have seen me go through some really tough times, and this--in every way--is well past the worst it's been. I described it like this to friends: I wake up every day feeling like a truck ran over me and is still on top. When I do manage to get out of bed, it's mentally and physically like swimming through peanut butter. Then it gets worse.

But I'm at the end of yet another day, I'm still here, I chuckled, and I'm deeply grateful for all of you.

I'm able to get some light stuff in now and again. Last night I had the 3rd decent night of sleep I've had in 7 months, so that was huge. On days I can get some sleep in, I will go and train.

Sending you love, smiles, positive thought, and whatever else there could be!!!
2017-08-01 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have raced in 86 degree water. No real magic tricks. Just keep warmup easy (I wouldn't do pickups) and fairly short, and back off the pace a little. If they have a cool shower as you exit, maybe spend a few seconds in it cooling down before running off to start the bike. Make sure to be well-hydrated at the start, and start hydrating right away as you exit the swim, in transition, or in the first minutes on the bike at the latest. You do sweat in the water, even if you don't notice it, and you will need more fluids than usual if the water is very warm. It will also kick your core temp higher so you will probably need more fluids on the bike as well.

2017-08-01 5:45 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone! I'm back in the USA and finally able to catch up on some work and personal stuff (of course including BT!). Of course when you're gone over a week there's way too much banter and news to catch up on but from the last few pages it looks like some of you had great races last weekend, congrats! I'm racing next weekend and just got an email that the current water temp is 86 degrees! I've raced in low 80 degree water before and it was miserable but 86 sounds awful! Other than just mentally preparing myself for a long swim in a hot tub, anyone have any tips for a hot water swim?
Absolutely no tips from me, especially since I am a huge fan of cold waters, but I'm glad you're back and I hope you had a relaxing time away

I don't really have much either with heat being my nemesis. Mostly slow down some more, technical precision & be efficient. Make sure you can still swim ok without a wetsuit. If it miraculously drops, I'd still consider going without one. Or at least consider other options less than a full sleeve. Sleeveless, maybe short johns (tri suit size), or something like the Roka sim shorts if those are passable. All of those will still have a little buoyancy, but much less coverage so heat won't trap as much, since that was the original intent of a wetsuit.

2017-08-01 6:54 PM

User image

Master

Love the pics

I hope you start feeling 100% soon.

I'm alive! I'm focusing on a Crossfit thing right now, so not much TRIing going on. I am getting the itch for another race. Wondering if I'll have the time and/or energy to train for a full IM. Hmmmm.

Hope you all are doing fabulously!
2017-08-01 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have raced in 86 degree water. No real magic tricks. Just keep warmup easy (I wouldn't do pickups) and fairly short, and back off the pace a little. If they have a cool shower as you exit, maybe spend a few seconds in it cooling down before running off to start the bike. Make sure to be well-hydrated at the start, and start hydrating right away as you exit the swim, in transition, or in the first minutes on the bike at the latest. You do sweat in the water, even if you don't notice it, and you will need more fluids than usual if the water is very warm. It will also kick your core temp higher so you will probably need more fluids on the bike as well.

this!

2017-08-01 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Love the pics

Hi Yanti, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with so much at the moment. Is the friend that helped you with your gekko/lizard phobia able to do something to help you with the not sleeping thing? When I go through my bouts of insomnia I find that it magnifies the intensity of everything else. So maybe if you can get the sleep thing sorted even enough so that you can get 3 or 4 hours of decent sleep a night it will help with everything else too. I'm not at all implying that it will magically fix everything but it might help a little, and a few little improvements here and there can make a big difference when they are all added together.

When are you back in Perth?
2017-08-01 8:57 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner I have raced in 86 degree water. No real magic tricks. Just keep warmup easy (I wouldn't do pickups) and fairly short, and back off the pace a little. If they have a cool shower as you exit, maybe spend a few seconds in it cooling down before running off to start the bike. Make sure to be well-hydrated at the start, and start hydrating right away as you exit the swim, in transition, or in the first minutes on the bike at the latest. You do sweat in the water, even if you don't notice it, and you will need more fluids than usual if the water is very warm. It will also kick your core temp higher so you will probably need more fluids on the bike as well.

this!

So before I start I will say that my tris are sprint distance, I am slow and I get hot when I exercise. Thankfully our water temp is never really that hot, but often close to 80.

Often for December and January tris here the air temp can be 100+ and it is a very dry heat. If this is the forecast then I will take 5 drink bottles:
- 1 water for dumping over myself in transition (this is normally cold from the fridge)
- 2 for the bike, 1 is water and 1 Bickfords lemon cordial (this works better for me than sports drinks). I freeze these the day before the race and then the night before I take them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge. I find by the time I get onto the bike they are thawed out but are still cold. What water I have left when I get off the bike I dump over myself in transition (don't mix up your water and your sports drink cause you will end up a sticky mess).
- 1 water for the run, I freeze this too but only take it out of the freezer the morning of the race and it is normally thawed out by the time I get to run transition
- 1 frozen lemon cordial for after the tri. this one I take out the freezer the morning of the race, wrap it in a towel and stash it in my bag. It normally stays fairly cold.

I also tend to dump water over my head at every water station on the run. As I said I have a tendency to get hot when I exercise, especially my head, so if I can keep my head cooler then I cope much better.

I don't always use all of this but most times I do, and I have always been thankful that I have had it.

2017-08-02 6:28 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

Love the pics

Hi Yanti, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with so much at the moment. Is the friend that helped you with your gekko/lizard phobia able to do something to help you with the not sleeping thing? When I go through my bouts of insomnia I find that it magnifies the intensity of everything else. So maybe if you can get the sleep thing sorted even enough so that you can get 3 or 4 hours of decent sleep a night it will help with everything else too. I'm not at all implying that it will magically fix everything but it might help a little, and a few little improvements here and there can make a big difference when they are all added together. When are you back in Perth?

I hope so. Even Kingsley the atheist has been pestering me to go back and see her. I'm just staying out of Bali right now because the dengue as well as superbacteria infections are absolutely rife right now, have been for quite some time. I think you're right about if I could just get a few OK hrs a night at least I'd have a leg to stand on. It's hard to feel like you're swimming in peanut butter AND accelerating down an endless mine shaft at the same time.

Back in Perf Sep 7 or so. Not having a legal home anywhere is total shyte as I have to plan times in and out very carefully or I could get kicked out of somewhere permanently. For some reason Australia has been hassling me ZERO since I've started traveling on my German passport, though. With the U.S. one I'd get taken to the "special room" EVERY DAMN TIME. Coming in OR going out.

We have 1 dumb rescue dog Odie here in Jakarta and 2 smart rescue cats Lilith and Olive. They give me some moments of joy too.

2017-08-02 6:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think I am Queen of the Water Bottles. In a tropical race, have been known to take EIGHT to a race: one for pre-race sipping (usually diluted Nuun), one to park in transition (to get salt water out of mouth or stop coughing or just for emergencies), FOUR--count'em--four on my bike (aerobottle, frame mount, double rear torpedo mount, two in a waist pack on the run.

Yes, know it's extra weight on the bike, but I figure at my size, it won't put me at any disadvantage to my competition. I don't like stopping for aid stations--safety hazard on the bike, especially if volunteers are inexperienced or race is crowded, and wastes time on the run. Plus some of the stuff they serve in SE Asia is pretty yuck--not sure if Yanti remembers "Nuoc Tang Luoc Salty Lemon #1" Drink at Vietnam 70.3--truly looked and tasted like "Number One". I only refill the aerobottle if needed. Generally will only use aid stations for water and what someone I ran with once called my "ice dance"--I get really creative with ice and sponges. Post-race, I just drink whatever's on offer, including beer!
2017-08-02 7:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Back in Perf Sep 7 or so. Not having a legal home anywhere is total shyte as I have to plan times in and out very carefully or I could get kicked out of somewhere permanently. For some reason Australia has been hassling me ZERO since I've started traveling on my German passport, though. With the U.S. one I'd get taken to the "special room" EVERY DAMN TIME. Coming in OR going out.
Thats cause we know that Americans are bat shyte crazy

But seriously sending you thoughts and prayers and great big mastiff sized hugs to you. Is there anyway you could bring your friend to Jakarta rather than go back to Bali?

(Edited cause I can't spell)

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-02 7:30 AM
2017-08-02 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner I think I am Queen of the Water Bottles. In a tropical race, have been known to take EIGHT to a race: one for pre-race sipping (usually diluted Nuun), one to park in transition (to get salt water out of mouth or stop coughing or just for emergencies), FOUR--count'em--four on my bike (aerobottle, frame mount, double rear torpedo mount, two in a waist pack on the run. Yes, know it's extra weight on the bike, but I figure at my size, it won't put me at any disadvantage to my competition. I don't like stopping for aid stations--safety hazard on the bike, especially if volunteers are inexperienced or race is crowded, and wastes time on the run. Plus some of the stuff they serve in SE Asia is pretty yuck--not sure if Yanti remembers "Nuoc Tang Luoc Salty Lemon #1" Drink at Vietnam 70.3--truly looked and tasted like "Number One". I only refill the aerobottle if needed. Generally will only use aid stations for water and what someone I ran with once called my "ice dance"--I get really creative with ice and sponges. Post-race, I just drink whatever's on offer, including beer!

Karen, anything over 80* and the sweat pours outta me like I'm a human faucet. If water bottles are your thing, you may want to look at an Orange Mud Hydraquiver.  I got one a while back and use it on any runs around here of 3 miles or more. It holds a full sized bike bottle up on the high part of the back. They make a double pack as well, if you want to carry two. After running, I open the spout on the bottle, lean over, and feel the cool flow on my head as a finishing treat.

2017-08-02 10:01 AM

User image

Thanks for the feedback! 8 water bottles?? That's awesome! I'm pretty sure I own about 5 and my wife would kill me if I came home with another one. Good thing they all look alike . My race is an Olympic distance and I normally sip some Nuun prior to the swim and go through 2 bottles on the bike, 1 on my X-Lab Torpedo and another regular insulated bottle. Given the Torpedo bottle is plastic and not insulated, I'm still debating whether or not to just go with 2 insulated bottles instead. Sipping warm water on the bike isn't my kind of re hydrating but then again, staying in aero while drinking is pretty important. That'll be a night before decision based on the weather.

2017-08-02 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of swimming in extreme temperatures...

A Freezing Swim to Call Attention to Warming Waters

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/world/europe/arctic-swim-lewis-pugh.html

2017-08-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Speaking of swimming in extreme temperatures...

A Freezing Swim to Call Attention to Warming Waters

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/world/europe/arctic-swim-lewis-pugh.html

Wow!!!
2017-08-02 2:12 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

{{hugs}}
2017-08-02 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Chris, that Hydraquiver sounds great for long rides. The industrial park where I do training rides outdoors here has no place to fill or purchase water (can't drink the tap water here, remember; anyway, no tap, either), so I'm pretty much limited to how far I can ride on water that I can carry on my bike or in a small backpack that I use to carry shoes (I don't switch to bike shoes or clip in till I get to the industrial park). That's basically five bottles; with my bottle and bike setup, a max of 108 oz. On a really hot day, that's three hours max, sometimes even less. (Yes, I sweat that much!) Really no way to do a longer ride without splitting between indoors and out. I find Camelbacks really uncomfortable on the back, and have trouble drawing on the valve hard enough to get enough water, especially when riding hard. (I do have one for MTB rides.) They also have a tendency to grow mold really quickly here in the tropics, and are much harder to clean than bottles. Also harder to keep track of exactly how much you are drinking. I have to really keep on top of hydration in the conditions here or I will become horribly dehydrated. Normally I drink every 5-10 minutes and try to go through a bottle about every 45 minutes.

I think I own at least 15 water bottles, between run and bike and "general use". Singapore races tend to give them as swag, so I accumulate quite a few. Sometimes I give them away as "hard worker" prizes for my track and XC runners!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102