BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-01-03 8:08 AM
in reply to: anime_lover1992

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition OPEN

This is what I have for our roster so far. Has anyone heard from Robin K, Darren, TJ, or Ben?

Active Manatees

Once a Manatee, always a Manatee

2018 thread #1 
Adam (awm007)Karen (Hot Runner)
AllyKirsten (IronOx)
Angela (anime_lover1992)Laura (StartingToTri)
Anne (abake)Lisa (lisac957)
Ann-Marie (amd723)Melanie (melbo55)
Chris (cdban66)Michelle (micfriedman)
Chris #2 (Onfire)Nancy (glfprncs)
Dave (DaveL)Randee (MtnBikerChk)
Ellie (aphroditelaughs)Robin K (fortissimo)
Janyne (jmkizer)Robin P (ceilidh)
Jen (jenstewey)Stacey (StaceyK)
Jim (JBacarella)TJ (rrrunner)
Justin (TXTriRook)Tom S (tomsimper)

Darren (Richardsdrr)
  Ben (brigby1)

2018-01-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: StartingToTri

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StartingToTri

NAME: Laura Baron

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Instagram (@baron.laura), Strava (hit me up here! I need more friends! https://www.strava.com/athletes/23781050 )

STORY: I've been here on BT a long time (member ID 3341, if you can believe it) and did triathlons for a good chunk of that time. From 2005-2010, I was heavily involved -- got as far as doing a few half ironman races, helped friends train for their full IM's. Throughout all of it, I hated (no, you don't understand ... HAAAATED) swimming. Like, I would get to the pool for a workout and sit on the edge of the pool for 30 minutes dreading the moment of sliding into the cold water (and it's almost always cold). My swimming progressed from "looking like a drowning person" to "looking like a really slow but probably not in danger of losing her life" kind of swimmer and decided I had enough. I was an adult. If I didn't want to swim, I didn't have to. 

From there on out, I focused on running and biking (running is my first love). And then, starting around 2012, I got hit with a really bad depressive episode that took me a few years to work myself out of -- in the meantime, I had stopped training entirely, unless Olympic Cookie and Ice Cream Eating is a thing. Gained 50 pounds and now -- finally -- mentally healthy and looking to get back to being physically healthy as well. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a benevolent canine overlord (she's mostly benevolent, at least ... until she's hungry and thinks I'm not being quick enough to feed her. At that point, she attempts to throw her food bowl at me. Lord help me if she ever figures out how to actually do that...)

CURRENT TRAINING: Since running is where my heart is, I'm training for a half marathon at the end of April. Robin (ceilhdh) and I will be getting together in Louisville to celebrate our return to action! I'm also going to try and start biking again, mostly because my friends are all triathletes and this would be something I could do with them (also also also -- a newfound love of mountain biking! what fun!!). Also on the training regime (though not swim/bike/run related) is a lot of hiking as I'm hoping to do the Wonderland Trail hike towards the end of this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The only race firmly on the schedule -- The Derby Half Marathon (https://derbyfestivalmarathon.com)

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Ideally, I'd love to get back to where I was before the depressive mess -- pretty fast runner, decent biker, reluctant swimmer. Mostly, I want to be able to get up and go and be active and not deal with my heart pounding so hard that I fear it literally coming out my chest.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I thrive on accountability and community. I figure y'all probably do too. So, with any luck I'll just slip in, make myself at home and help support everyone else in their goals.

Belle

LAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

2018-01-03 8:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

I haven't seen anything from them.

2018-01-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I haven't seen anything from them.

Thanks. I've reached out to each of them as to Mary Stone as well. I'm hoping that Mary can rejoin our group.

2018-01-03 8:47 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

NAME: Robin Proctor

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Robin Proctor (warning, I post political and NSFW language, Just starting with Strava ( I have no idea how to post my link).

STORY: I am a true "adult onset athlete". I decided to loose a bunch of weight when I was 47. I started running and, since I like to swim and MTB, someone said I should do a tri. I laughed, and laughed, and secretly started to research them. I found this site and connected with a mentor group which proceeded to fall apart except for 3 of us. We encouraged ourselves through our first sprint that year and as I crossed the finish line, I became a Goddess! I could do anything I put my mind to. Since then, ups and downs of life and some minor for me, major for my husband, health issues have made my efforts ebb and flow. I am currently 57, a full fledged Athena and in a big ole ebb. I am working on losing weight and getting back into training.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 21 years. Two step kids and one grandkid. Three cats and one dog that owns me.

CURRENT TRAINING andTHIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:  Training is not what I would use to describe where I am. Hand surgery on both hands set me back farther than I had anticipated. I am signed up for the Key West Half marathon in 9 days I will start, lets see if I make it to the finish line before the cut off time. I have a HIM that I am supposed to be training for in May. It will be my first and probably last. Also signed up for NYC tri in July. hopefully I will be able to travel for that one. Several running (wogging) events are planned, including the half marathon at the end of April am doing with Lara. 

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I just want to keep on moving and having fun.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have little technical knowledge about much of anything related to tri. However, I am encouraging and love the community. Oh, and FYI:

A virtual (or real if you are in Fla) is the Save the Manatee 5 K. It is Saturday, May 19, 2018.

You can register at https://everalracemgt.enmotive.com/events/register/2018-4th-annual-s...

2018-01-03 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

NAME: Robin Proctor

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Robin Proctor (warning, I post political and NSFW language, Just starting with Strava ( I have no idea how to post my link).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/7150866

If you go to your Profile, the link is that URL.

2018-01-03 9:20 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

This is what I have for our roster so far. Has anyone heard from Robin K, Darren, TJ, or Ben?

Active Manatees

Once a Manatee, always a Manatee

2018 thread #1 
Adam (awm007)Karen (Hot Runner)
AllyKirsten (IronOx)
Angela (anime_lover1992)Laura (StartingToTri)
Anne (abake)Lisa (lisac957)
Ann-Marie (amd723)Melanie (melbo55)
Chris (cdban66)Michelle (micfriedman)
Chris #2 (Onfire)Nancy (glfprncs)
Dave (DaveL)Randee (MtnBikerChk)
Ellie (aphroditelaughs)Robin K (fortissimo)
Janyne (jmkizer)Robin P (ceilidh)
Jen (jenstewey)Stacey (StaceyK)
Jim (JBacarella)TJ (rrrunner)
Justin (TXTriRook)Tom S (tomsimper)

Darren (Richardsdrr)
  Ben (brigby1)
Hang a banger. I will be in. Save me a seat.
2018-01-03 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by jmkizer

Roster removed for brevity

Hang a banger. I will be in. Save me a seat.

He lives! How's the running been going?

Edited by jmkizer 2018-01-03 9:33 AM
2018-01-03 5:05 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hello Manatees and happy New Year!
I cannot promise posting regularly, but will do my best to support all of my wonderful friends here

NAME: Marysia

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, search for: Maria Grabowska

FAMILY STATUS: single parent of two children (Zosia 8yo, Mikolaj 10yo), since recently I have a boyfriend (yay!!) who is very inspiring and motivating, first guy who never says: "but... why do you run...?" He pushes me beyond my limits and is overall a great guy.
I have two cats: Kicia and Cutie.

CURRENT TRAINING: During winter months I do spin classes to improve my cycling. I also go for yoga and core classes on my lunch breaks, so my body is better preped for the 2018 season.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I decided to go long distance, and move from pavement to trails. I want to complete a marathon on trails, and a HM on difficult trail. My bf and I would love to do 100 miles on the bike race as well. I should be able to squeeze a triathlon somewhere too

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: If I do Oly, I want to go under 3 hours. I want to complete full-marry on the trail. It would be great if I could do HM under 2 hours.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The support!! Again, I may not be coming too frequently, because of school, work, and parenting (and all other adventures...), but whenever i could, I will provide plenty of support and cheers

2018-01-03 5:37 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Hello Manatees and happy New Year! I cannot promise posting regularly, but will do my best to support all of my wonderful friends here NAME: Marysia OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, search for: Maria Grabowska FAMILY STATUS: single parent of two children (Zosia 8yo, Mikolaj 10yo), since recently I have a boyfriend (yay!!) who is very inspiring and motivating, first guy who never says: "but... why do you run...?" He pushes me beyond my limits and is overall a great guy. I have two cats: Kicia and Cutie. CURRENT TRAINING: During winter months I do spin classes to improve my cycling. I also go for yoga and core classes on my lunch breaks, so my body is better preped for the 2018 season. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I decided to go long distance, and move from pavement to trails. I want to complete a marathon on trails, and a HM on difficult trail. My bf and I would love to do 100 miles on the bike race as well. I should be able to squeeze a triathlon somewhere too GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: If I do Oly, I want to go under 3 hours. I want to complete full-marry on the trail. It would be great if I could do HM under 2 hours. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The support!! Again, I may not be coming too frequently, because of school, work, and parenting (and all other adventures...), but whenever i could, I will provide plenty of support and cheers

Welcome back!

Congrats on finding support at home. What a difference!

2018-01-03 7:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

NAME: Angela Edwards

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I don't really go on social media that often.... I am very involved with the Women for Tri closed group on facebook. I got almost 400 likes from one of my posts before I am in the works of creating my own website to track my crazy tri journey

STORY: 3 years ago I was in an auto accident, and it took two months of therapy and chiropractic before I was able to run again. Then that following January, my PCP thought something was wrong with my heart, and with heart issues running in the family, at 23 I was terrified.
When the cardiologist gave me a clean bill, I thought what's MY excuse? So I trained and completed my first half-marathon on 4-30-16.
I went to the IMLOU finisher's party later on that year and it was like a lightning bolt smacked me in the core. I realized that THIS-becoming an IronMan, was my next big goal to train for and accomplish.
I did a sprint in April 2017 and placed second in my age group. The pint glass is on my kitchen table lol. I decided to up my training and attempted IM Muncie 70.3. I made the cut off times for the bike, but had serious issues with fatigue on my run. My swimming ability or lack thereof, caused me to officially have a DNF.
I didn't do my race report for a month for embarrassment. I worked my off and couldn't even finish. I have always been an athena, so being one of the largest athletes there made it hard on me emotionally. I won't stop until I become an Ironman, but I know it will not happen overnight. I am glad that even with a road bike, I still pushed and gave it my all. I went 69.5 out of 70.3 miles. I truly felt blessed that the other competitors were so friendly and encouraging. The aid station volunteers were phenomenal and they remind you that you are doing something great.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, one stepson, one service animal, two roommates and one them has a four year old. Basically chaos.

CURRENT TRAINING:Using treadmills for indoor running. Running outside when not deathly cold. Yesterday was 6 degrees! Indoor cross training and will set up my trainer soon once I let my black beauty thaw. I am trying to make a detailed training journal including food and water intake this year. I really want to make this happen. Work 1-9 M-F so finding a gym to accommodate will be a challenge. I know that I run better at night and do intensity workouts preferably before work in the mornings.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I want to complete my first KDF marathon and also attempt my second HIM, IM Muncie 70.3. I really want to finish this year, but I know that I felt very proud doing what I did that day.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to grow more as a person and lose weight that crept on me. I have IBS and Endometriosis and Insomnia like you wouldn't believe. I want to focus on renewing my mind and spirit this year, in hopes that my body will fall into place with enough hard work. It took racing with a bunch of people my age to realize that I suck at swimming and my hope is to also join a local tri club ( Louisville Landsharks) to try group open water swims this year.I have a lot more experience with running and biking than swimming, and I am hopeful that I can get constructive positive feedback to improve my swimming, make my running gas. This may also sound weird, but I like to tell people I know and my clients when they see my pictures, that just because you are plus size, doesn't mean you can't do a triathlon. I want to continue to slim and tone while I undergo my training.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I consistently remind myself that I am only human. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take and you live but once. I am happy to get constructive feedback as much as I am willing to give my feedback to someone else who needs it. At the end of the day, we only have limits if we accept them as limits. Love.Peace.Tri. Do your best and forget the rest.

2018-01-03 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Instagram (@baron.laura), Strava (hit me up here! I need more friends! https://www.strava.com/athletes/23781050 )

STORY: I've been here on BT a long time (member ID 3341, if you can believe it) and did triathlons for a good chunk of that time. From 2005-2010, I was heavily involved -- got as far as doing a few half ironman races, helped friends train for their full IM's. Throughout all of it, I hated (no, you don't understand ... HAAAATED) swimming. Like, I would get to the pool for a workout and sit on the edge of the pool for 30 minutes dreading the moment of sliding into the cold water (and it's almost always cold). My swimming progressed from "looking like a drowning person" to "looking like a really slow but probably not in danger of losing her life" kind of swimmer and decided I had enough. I was an adult. If I didn't want to swim, I didn't have to. 

From there on out, I focused on running and biking (running is my first love). And then, starting around 2012, I got hit with a really bad depressive episode that took me a few years to work myself out of -- in the meantime, I had stopped training entirely, unless Olympic Cookie and Ice Cream Eating is a thing. Gained 50 pounds and now -- finally -- mentally healthy and looking to get back to being physically healthy as well. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single with a benevolent canine overlord (she's mostly benevolent, at least ... until she's hungry and thinks I'm not being quick enough to feed her. At that point, she attempts to throw her food bowl at me. Lord help me if she ever figures out how to actually do that...)

CURRENT TRAINING: Since running is where my heart is, I'm training for a half marathon at the end of April. Robin (ceilhdh) and I will be getting together in Louisville to celebrate our return to action! I'm also going to try and start biking again, mostly because my friends are all triathletes and this would be something I could do with them (also also also -- a newfound love of mountain biking! what fun!!). Also on the training regime (though not swim/bike/run related) is a lot of hiking as I'm hoping to do the Wonderland Trail hike towards the end of this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: The only race firmly on the schedule -- The Derby Half Marathon (https://derbyfestivalmarathon.com)

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Ideally, I'd love to get back to where I was before the depressive mess -- pretty fast runner, decent biker, reluctant swimmer. Mostly, I want to be able to get up and go and be active and not deal with my heart pounding so hard that I fear it literally coming out my chest.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I thrive on accountability and community. I figure y'all probably do too. So, with any luck I'll just slip in, make myself at home and help support everyone else in their goals.

Belle

LAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

Laura!!!! Robin!!!!!!!! <3
2018-01-03 8:10 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
OK, here's my bio. Even though I wasn't too involved in the Manatee forum last year, I'm super stoked for 2018!

NAME: Anne Baker

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm on FB (Anne Bretscher Baker), Strava (Anne Baker - also in the Manatee STrava group), Slowtwitch (don't post much)

STORY: I'm 56 years old. Adult onset athlete. I rode horses quite a bit as a teenager but then didn't do much of anything until I quit smoking in my early 40s and needed something to replace the addiction. Took up running and got really involved in the local running club scene. Had and continue to have issues with plantar f, so I have to be careful about too much running. Started riding bikes, learned to sort-of swim. Did my first sprint in 2008 and have done a number of tris since then, including IM Florida in 2015.

FAMILY STATUS: Have one daughter, age 28 (wow, how time flies). Live with my sweetheart, Steve. We'll tie the knot one of these days but after 14 years, no particular rush. Have three very cool cats and a freshwater aquarium full of small fish and shrimp.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm heavily into gravel racing now, which sort of edged out triathlon. I'm in the lottery for Dirty Kanza. I have a coach on Training Peaks who keeps me accountable.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: March - Dirty South Gravel Grinder 100km, Alto Pass, il (weather permitting); April - Louisville Half Marathon with Laura Baron and Robin Proctor); May - Tour of Hermann, 2 day gravel ride, Hermann, MO; June - Dirty Kanza 200 mile (if I get in the lottery). Plan B would be either Coast to Coast in Huron, Michigan, or Badlands Gravel Grinder somewhere in North Dakota. October - Cuban Gravel Crisis 100 mile, Cuba, Missouri. Some other events depending on vacation time and finances

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I love the energy of this group and hope to be more active in the forum this year.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: There's a lot of collective wisdom here. I've been on BT since 2008 and the Manatees have been around for a long time, and that sort of stability is very appealing.
2018-01-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: anime_lover1992

User image

Master

Originally posted by anime_lover1992 NAME: Angela Edwards OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I don't really go on social media that often.... I am very involved with the Women for Tri closed group on facebook. I got almost 400 likes from one of my posts before I am in the works of creating my own website to track my crazy tri journey STORY: 3 years ago I was in an auto accident, and it took two months of therapy and chiropractic before I was able to run again. Then that following January, my PCP thought something was wrong with my heart, and with heart issues running in the family, at 23 I was terrified. When the cardiologist gave me a clean bill, I thought what's MY excuse? So I trained and completed my first half-marathon on 4-30-16. I went to the IMLOU finisher's party later on that year and it was like a lightning bolt smacked me in the core. I realized that THIS-becoming an IronMan, was my next big goal to train for and accomplish. I did a sprint in April 2017 and placed second in my age group. The pint glass is on my kitchen table lol. I decided to up my training and attempted IM Muncie 70.3. I made the cut off times for the bike, but had serious issues with fatigue on my run. My swimming ability or lack thereof, caused me to officially have a DNF. I didn't do my race report for a month for embarrassment. I worked my off and couldn't even finish. I have always been an athena, so being one of the largest athletes there made it hard on me emotionally. I won't stop until I become an Ironman, but I know it will not happen overnight. I am glad that even with a road bike, I still pushed and gave it my all. I went 69.5 out of 70.3 miles. I truly felt blessed that the other competitors were so friendly and encouraging. The aid station volunteers were phenomenal and they remind you that you are doing something great. FAMILY STATUS: Married, one stepson, one service animal, two roommates and one them has a four year old. Basically chaos. CURRENT TRAINING:Using treadmills for indoor running. Running outside when not deathly cold. Yesterday was 6 degrees! Indoor cross training and will set up my trainer soon once I let my black beauty thaw. I am trying to make a detailed training journal including food and water intake this year. I really want to make this happen. Work 1-9 M-F so finding a gym to accommodate will be a challenge. I know that I run better at night and do intensity workouts preferably before work in the mornings. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I want to complete my first KDF marathon and also attempt my second HIM, IM Muncie 70.3. I really want to finish this year, but I know that I felt very proud doing what I did that day. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to grow more as a person and lose weight that crept on me. I have IBS and Endometriosis and Insomnia like you wouldn't believe. I want to focus on renewing my mind and spirit this year, in hopes that my body will fall into place with enough hard work. It took racing with a bunch of people my age to realize that I suck at swimming and my hope is to also join a local tri club ( Louisville Landsharks) to try group open water swims this year.I have a lot more experience with running and biking than swimming, and I am hopeful that I can get constructive positive feedback to improve my swimming, make my running gas. This may also sound weird, but I like to tell people I know and my clients when they see my pictures, that just because you are plus size, doesn't mean you can't do a triathlon. I want to continue to slim and tone while I undergo my training. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I consistently remind myself that I am only human. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take and you live but once. I am happy to get constructive feedback as much as I am willing to give my feedback to someone else who needs it. At the end of the day, we only have limits if we accept them as limits. Love.Peace.Tri. Do your best and forget the rest.

Welcome Angela!  Love your outlook

2018-01-03 9:28 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by abake OK, here's my bio. Even though I wasn't too involved in the Manatee forum last year, I'm super stoked for 2018! NAME: Anne Baker OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm on FB (Anne Bretscher Baker), Strava (Anne Baker - also in the Manatee STrava group), Slowtwitch (don't post much) STORY: I'm 56 years old. Adult onset athlete. I rode horses quite a bit as a teenager but then didn't do much of anything until I quit smoking in my early 40s and needed something to replace the addiction. Took up running and got really involved in the local running club scene. Had and continue to have issues with plantar f, so I have to be careful about too much running. Started riding bikes, learned to sort-of swim. Did my first sprint in 2008 and have done a number of tris since then, including IM Florida in 2015. FAMILY STATUS: Have one daughter, age 28 (wow, how time flies). Live with my sweetheart, Steve. We'll tie the knot one of these days but after 14 years, no particular rush. Have three very cool cats and a freshwater aquarium full of small fish and shrimp. CURRENT TRAINING: I'm heavily into gravel racing now, which sort of edged out triathlon. I'm in the lottery for Dirty Kanza. I have a coach on Training Peaks who keeps me accountable. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: March - Dirty South Gravel Grinder 100km, Alto Pass, il (weather permitting); April - Louisville Half Marathon with Laura Baron and Robin Proctor); May - Tour of Hermann, 2 day gravel ride, Hermann, MO; June - Dirty Kanza 200 mile (if I get in the lottery). Plan B would be either Coast to Coast in Huron, Michigan, or Badlands Gravel Grinder somewhere in North Dakota. October - Cuban Gravel Crisis 100 mile, Cuba, Missouri. Some other events depending on vacation time and finances GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I love the energy of this group and hope to be more active in the forum this year. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: There's a lot of collective wisdom here. I've been on BT since 2008 and the Manatees have been around for a long time, and that sort of stability is very appealing.

Welcome back Laura and Anne.

***Hey guys, we got 'em fooled.  They think we are stable....

2018-01-03 10:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi!

I'm Robin K. On Instagram I'm fortissimo_15.

Story - Three days before winter break, I started my 29th year of teaching band and orchestra at the same middle school I attended. Grew up as a swimmer and a skier. In college a friend at work tried to talk me into doing a tri in Boulder, the first tri held in Boulder, but I chickened out because I hadn't been on a bike in years and didn't even have a bike. He knew I wanted to do a tri because I was intrigued by the sport when I saw the first Ironman shown on TV. Needless to say it would take several more years before I actually did my first tri. Despite breaking some bones in my foot and ankle during that race (and not being smart enough to stop), I was sucked into the sport. I've done a few sprints, an Olympic, 7 70.3 and an Ironman. While I'm super slow, my favorite distances are the 70.3 and 140.6.

Family Status - Married to the best Sherpa ever. We have four fur kids: Caesar, while he is a buff-colored tabby, he's anything but buff at 20-22 lbs; Jack, an 11-year-old Golden Receive (he retrieves nothing, just catches and runs); Dug, a 7 year-old Golden Retriever. Dug was diagnosed with osteosarcoma at Thanksgiving, had his left front leg amputated, but still runs faster than me. Four days after his first chemo treatment he was back at the local people hospital comforting those who were receiving their chemo treatments. He's also a comfort dog at DIA. Oh, and there is Lilo- a 4-year-old Siamese mix. She likes to get on my aero bars and yell at me when I'm on the trainer.

Current training- After a very stressful December, I'm back to swimming, biking, running (haha, a turtle's pace running), and some strength stuff.

Last year was disappointing. I missed a lot of training for the Oceanside 70.3 due to illness but still had a blast.It is by far my favorite race course yet! I started Boulder 70.3 and got 4 miles into the run and somehow found myself in the back of a police car. Had no idea how I got there until my friends told me. I did a local 13.1 but still didn't feel like I had the race I wanted. Finished the season with the Las Vegas Rock and Roll 13.1 and had a blast. Slower than I wanted, but I had fun and it was somewhat of the redemption I wanted after Boulder.

2018- Right now I'm only signed up for Santa Rosa 70.3 in July. I am looking at a few Oly distances races here in Colorado.

What would make me a great Manatee? While I don't always post, I do read and give mental hugs to all who need them.

Oh, I also play Pokémon Go because I'm 5.

Edited by fortissimo 2018-01-03 10:25 PM

2018-01-04 5:21 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Illinois
How is everyone doing in this winter weather snap? It's -24 with the wind chill in Central Illinois today and it looks like we got a bit of snow.
2018-01-04 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake

Belle

LAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

Laura!!!! Robin!!!!!!!! <3

ANNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROBIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 

2018-01-04 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake How is everyone doing in this winter weather snap? It's -24 with the wind chill in Central Illinois today and it looks like we got a bit of snow.

My Massachusetts sister peer-pressured me into a Winter Warrior challenge -- a mile a day outside for the month of January. I'm in Illinois like Anne (though, in a Chicago 'burb) and it's been absolutely FRIGID here to start the year. 

I've been walking my mile as I don't have good enough cold-weather running gear. Okay, actually, I don't have running gear for sub-arctic weather, LOL. And while there are 1, 3 and 5 mile tiers to the challenge, it really is too cold to be out for more than a mile. 

All that said, I've actually found myself kind of enjoying getting out. There's always some part of me that's absolutely freezing by the time I'm done, but it's somehow weirdly invigorating. 

As far as actual training goes, I'm lucky enough to have a treadmill in the house, so that's how I've been getting my real miles in. Also, getting back to hitting strength training hard again as well. 

2018-01-04 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake How is everyone doing in this winter weather snap? It's -24 with the wind chill in Central Illinois today and it looks like we got a bit of snow.

My Massachusetts sister peer-pressured me into a Winter Warrior challenge -- a mile a day outside for the month of January. I'm in Illinois like Anne (though, in a Chicago 'burb) and it's been absolutely FRIGID here to start the year. 

I've been walking my mile as I don't have good enough cold-weather running gear. Okay, actually, I don't have running gear for sub-arctic weather, LOL. And while there are 1, 3 and 5 mile tiers to the challenge, it really is too cold to be out for more than a mile. 

All that said, I've actually found myself kind of enjoying getting out. There's always some part of me that's absolutely freezing by the time I'm done, but it's somehow weirdly invigorating. 

As far as actual training goes, I'm lucky enough to have a treadmill in the house, so that's how I've been getting my real miles in. Also, getting back to hitting strength training hard again as well. 

So, I probably won't get any sympathy when I say I had to run in 30* temps this am 

2018-01-04 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So, I probably won't get any sympathy when I say I had to run in 30* temps this am 

No sympathy!

2018-01-04 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Robin! Santa Rosa will be really fun -- especially visiting the wineries afterwards :-D

2018-01-04 8:55 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I omitted my Strava link in my original bio.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4695941
2018-01-04 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Not unless you were being chased by a pack of wolves or roving band of donuts or something like that.... 

2018-01-04 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Not unless you were being chased by a pack of wolves or roving band of donuts or something like that.... 

sort of, I was chased right to sbux by Runner’s.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13464 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27152 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis