BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-10-05 7:54 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees! 

Congrats to all of  our IMCHOO'ers! Dealing with the change in the race and making it through a hot day - you are all so amazing! 

So, on another note, i am having a bit of a pickle. I just was hoping you could provide some of the 'what worked for me' - which may only apply to a few of you since i am asking about being the supportive spouse while your SO trains for IM.  My DH is super excited and wants to sign up for IMMT next year. He is not super great about prioritizing training - he doesn't plan all that well, and he often misses workouts in general. He's not the most consistent and hasn't done any real training in two years. He's done two IM's before - both before kids. I don't want to tell him no, he can't do it (though i wish he would do a HIM instead which has discounted for a few reasons). 

I am worried that family will suffer, that, selfishly, i will (do more family stuff and not get to train for events i want to do). So, fellow manatees if you have a spouse who has trained for IM and you did not. What did you do to manage? To stay on the same page? To not let their training take over your life? We have kids so it's seems like it would be extra stressful. 

I am fine with taking some of the slack so he can do it but just past experience makes me worried that it will be A LOT of slack. Plus, he travels a few times a year for work. Often a two week trip to China and then a week in Europe and a week in Vegas. 

What can you tell me, Manatees in all your wisdom.

It's been a while since we had young ones in the house, so I (like others) feel a bit underqualified. Also, no IM training, so there is that as well. It sounds like you want to see him succeed, but are concerned at what cost. I do believe the key to healthy relationships is communication, and this is no different. Lay it all out there, your concerns, his desire to race, your support of him racing well, etc. I like Janyne's calendar idea and I really like the coach idea as ways to help him. And if it helps him, it helps you as well. And hopefully, you can work through a compromise so that when you are ready for your BIG race, it is his turn to "take up some slack".

I tend to think of training as needing to fit into a time slot. I have a morning time slot and an evening time slot available Monday-Thursday. I can use a morning time slot on Friday but not an evening time slot on Friday. Weekends are generally pretty flexible. Obviously I both want and need to do something non-training related on weekends too!

A coach is a good idea because it would give him someone to be accountable to besides you! Would a local coach that offered some team workouts (that fit into Darren's time slots), be helpful/motivational?

2018-10-05 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jumping on the Instant Pot/prepped food discussion. We always have some pulled chicken in the house. TW will drop a chicken or some chicken breasts in the IP and soon enough we are shredding it up. It all goes into a container in the fridge and is ready at a moments notice. Want chicken salad, quesadillas, BBQ chicken sandwich, etc?  It is ready in a couple of minutes. We can also take a couple of hours on a Sunday night and have a ton of stuff for the entire week of lunches (I take it to work with me) and dinners. Soups, pulled pork, meatballs, casseroles, etc. are easy and ready to go. A meatloaf just came out of the freezer this week, so dinner at work is taken care of for me tonight. Jen may need to do more volume of this, what with more members of the household, but it is something we've been doing since the girls were playing soccer, or softball or later with band, theater, and ROTC.

That's why Kevin likes the carnitas recipe. It makes a bunch and we freeze half so we can pull it out again in a week or two for a no fuss repeat.

2018-10-05 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I've been thinking of getting an Instant Pot, and all these talks of recipes is really making me want to get one!

On another topic, I'm not sure how to approach my fall running season goal race. My team has chosen Rock n Roll DC, which offers a marathon, half marathon, and 5k. The marathon is not on the table right now, but I'm uncertain whether I should choose the half or the 5k.

Half:
It would be my first half
I am extremely slow (15min/mi doing 1min run/1 min walk intervals right now), so the long run days would take a very long time
The race is early March - the weather could be quite bad
The race is early March - I have tons of time to prepare!
If I get my VO2 Max tested (discounts offered through the team) I would finally know my proper paces, maybe see some improvement, and maybe get to run faster than my current pace.

I would love to set a PR!
I originally told myself that I wanted to get some speed before I went for longer distances.
The race is in early March - that's a very long time to do 5k specific training.
All the weather and VO2 Max comments are the same.

Obviously my heart is leaning towards the half, because it would be more pomp, a "big scary" challenge, and all that. But my head is telling me that 5k training is the smarter choice. Managing my syncope and POTS is still a learning challenge, and if I wind up needing to take some time off for health stuff, I will have plenty of time to catch back up. Ugh.....no idea. Haaaaaalp!
2018-10-05 8:43 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey Manatees! 

Congrats to all of  our IMCHOO'ers! Dealing with the change in the race and making it through a hot day - you are all so amazing! 

So, on another note, i am having a bit of a pickle. I just was hoping you could provide some of the 'what worked for me' - which may only apply to a few of you since i am asking about being the supportive spouse while your SO trains for IM.  My DH is super excited and wants to sign up for IMMT next year. He is not super great about prioritizing training - he doesn't plan all that well, and he often misses workouts in general. He's not the most consistent and hasn't done any real training in two years. He's done two IM's before - both before kids. I don't want to tell him no, he can't do it (though i wish he would do a HIM instead which has discounted for a few reasons). 

I am worried that family will suffer, that, selfishly, i will (do more family stuff and not get to train for events i want to do). So, fellow manatees if you have a spouse who has trained for IM and you did not. What did you do to manage? To stay on the same page? To not let their training take over your life? We have kids so it's seems like it would be extra stressful. 

I am fine with taking some of the slack so he can do it but just past experience makes me worried that it will be A LOT of slack. Plus, he travels a few times a year for work. Often a two week trip to China and then a week in Europe and a week in Vegas. 

It's been a while since we had young ones in the house, so I (like others) feel a bit underqualified. Also, no IM training, so there is that as well. It sounds like you want to see him succeed, but are concerned at what cost. I do believe the key to healthy relationships is communication, and this is no different. Lay it all out there, your concerns, his desire to race, your support of him racing well, etc. I like Janyne's calendar idea and I really like the coach idea as ways to help him. And if it helps him, it helps you as well. And hopefully, you can work through a compromise so that when you are ready for your BIG race, it is his turn to "take up some slack".

Well, I'm currently in the position of your spouse. I'm expecting a new baby in mid-November and signed up for a HIM in May so this has been on my mind as well. (my other two are teenagers and pretty self-sufficient).

First, don't feel like a dream killer at all. This is something big you all need to talk about. When my two older kids were little, it felt like a zero-sum game - if I wasn't taking care of the kids, my spouse was and vice-versa. That's not a great situation for marital harmony.

In addition to trying to get a firm of a schedule as possible, you might also talk about back-up plans for when things go off the rails. I know for my own training, I have a hard time rolling out of bed and getting to it early. Then, after a long session, I rarely feel like doing tons around the house to pick up slack. I'm not sure a plan for him to train for 4 hours then come home and do a ton of housework is feasible (at least it wouldn't be for me). For instance, would he be willing to chip in a bit extra to pay for some help around the house for you? Maybe plan on doing a bit more take-out etc occasionally? I know the added cost is tough. What is his plan for when he oversleeps that 5 AM Saturday alarm and starts his 4 hour workout 2 hours late? These things almost certanly will happen at some point? These are just some things that probably are worth talking through: what's the schedule with specifics, what happens when things get out of whack with the schedule, what's the plan for making sure you don't end up resentful by having to do way more than your share of things.

2018-10-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey Manatees! 

I tend to think of training as needing to fit into a time slot. I have a morning time slot and an evening time slot available Monday-Thursday. I can use a morning time slot on Friday but not an evening time slot on Friday. Weekends are generally pretty flexible. Obviously I both want and need to do something non-training related on weekends too!

A coach is a good idea because it would give him someone to be accountable to besides you! Would a local coach that offered some team workouts (that fit into Darren's time slots), be helpful/motivational?

I've never used a coach, and tried a training plan for my first, because I had no clue what I was in for. Fortunately, my kids were older when I did my first IM, most of them still in the house.

I think the point is figuring out the family balance between "me time" (training) and us time everything else that goes into raising kids.

You have to slot out and be loyal to both. Like Janyne's calendar, I have part of my day which is devoted to training and parts that are family, and we really started this daily schedule when our kids were younger. Our youngest was 8 (He turns 18 in 3 weeks) when I started this craziness.
Morning were always get kids ready for and to school. I run at lunch. I would Ride at night on the trainer, after bed times, sports, and homework. Swimming is a bigger challenge for me because of pool and frozen lake issues. Saturday morning I went long. Some time on Sunday I would do a short brick or ride, if the family stuff allowed. It's all about balance and everyone working together.
2018-10-05 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey Manatees! 

I sort of do this too -my slots are stupid early weekday and Saturday mornings and slightly less stupid early Sunday mornings! I have shorter slots after work-before dinner about 2 x per week.

Re IP recipes - I use a book for vegetarian recipes and have none committed to memory.   But for the last 6 months or more I've mainly used my IP for oatmeal and hard boiled eggs!

2018-10-05 8:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Hey Manatees! 

I sort of do this too -my slots are stupid early weekday and Saturday mornings and slightly less stupid early Sunday mornings! I have shorter slots after work-before dinner about 2 x per week.

Re IP recipes - I use a book for vegetarian recipes and have none committed to memory.   But for the last 6 months or more I've mainly used my IP for oatmeal and hard boiled eggs!

Book title please. (assuming you'd recommend it). We eat vegetarian 2-3 times a week.

I don't use the IP for hard boiled eggs because I already had a $15 egg thingie. I've heard that the IP is great for this though!

2018-10-05 8:59 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia I've been thinking of getting an Instant Pot, and all these talks of recipes is really making me want to get one! On another topic, I'm not sure how to approach my fall running season goal race. My team has chosen Rock n Roll DC, which offers a marathon, half marathon, and 5k. The marathon is not on the table right now, but I'm uncertain whether I should choose the half or the 5k. Half: It would be my first half I am extremely slow (15min/mi doing 1min run/1 min walk intervals right now), so the long run days would take a very long time The race is early March - the weather could be quite bad The race is early March - I have tons of time to prepare! If I get my VO2 Max tested (discounts offered through the team) I would finally know my proper paces, maybe see some improvement, and maybe get to run faster than my current pace. 5k I would love to set a PR! I originally told myself that I wanted to get some speed before I went for longer distances. The race is in early March - that's a very long time to do 5k specific training. All the weather and VO2 Max comments are the same. Obviously my heart is leaning towards the half, because it would be more pomp, a "big scary" challenge, and all that. But my head is telling me that 5k training is the smarter choice. Managing my syncope and POTS is still a learning challenge, and if I wind up needing to take some time off for health stuff, I will have plenty of time to catch back up. Ugh.....no idea. Haaaaaalp!

Can you sign up for the HM and train for it like normal and if you find managing your syncope and POTS is negatively affected, switch to the 5k? I know a lot of races let you drop down, though it could end up being an expensive 5k!

With HM training you can also do some speed work and strength work to go along with the endurance miles which should improve your 5k time, so i don't think its a one or the other deal re: long v faster.  Also, leading up to the race are there 5ks you can enter to do more speed work and maybe see that PR?

HM is probably my favorite distance, so I'm a little biased!

2018-10-05 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey Manatees! 

Book title please. (assuming you'd recommend it). We eat vegetarian 2-3 times a week.

I don't use the IP for hard boiled eggs because I already had a $15 egg thingie. I've heard that the IP is great for this though!

I'll get back with you on the title.  IP is awesome for hard boiled eggs -cooks them perfectly (assuming you take them out and get cold water on them before they cook too much) and you never, ever, never have an issue peeling them.

2018-10-05 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia I've been thinking of getting an Instant Pot, and all these talks of recipes is really making me want to get one! On another topic, I'm not sure how to approach my fall running season goal race. My team has chosen Rock n Roll DC, which offers a marathon, half marathon, and 5k. The marathon is not on the table right now, but I'm uncertain whether I should choose the half or the 5k. Half: It would be my first half I am extremely slow (15min/mi doing 1min run/1 min walk intervals right now), so the long run days would take a very long time The race is early March - the weather could be quite bad The race is early March - I have tons of time to prepare! If I get my VO2 Max tested (discounts offered through the team) I would finally know my proper paces, maybe see some improvement, and maybe get to run faster than my current pace. 5k I would love to set a PR! I originally told myself that I wanted to get some speed before I went for longer distances. The race is in early March - that's a very long time to do 5k specific training. All the weather and VO2 Max comments are the same. Obviously my heart is leaning towards the half, because it would be more pomp, a "big scary" challenge, and all that. But my head is telling me that 5k training is the smarter choice. Managing my syncope and POTS is still a learning challenge, and if I wind up needing to take some time off for health stuff, I will have plenty of time to catch back up. Ugh.....no idea. Haaaaaalp!

Can you sign up for the HM and train for it like normal and if you find managing your syncope and POTS is negatively affected, switch to the 5k? I know a lot of races let you drop down, though it could end up being an expensive 5k!

With HM training you can also do some speed work and strength work to go along with the endurance miles which should improve your 5k time, so i don't think its a one or the other deal re: long v faster.  Also, leading up to the race are there 5ks you can enter to do more speed work and maybe see that PR?

Oh, I like this idea!

2018-10-05 9:31 AM

User image

Jayne, you just made my day with that egg cooker. Last week I was "showing" my wife how easy it is to make a hard boiled egg by just boiling it in water. I followed google's instructions to a tea and 15 mins later....crack and egg all over the place! I hear about that one all week .

As for the training/time to train discussion, I'm always curious how others manage this. I have a 3ish and 1ish yr old at home. I can get about an hour in the AM after they leave for school/daycare and occasionally a little more than that on weekends. But as others have said, my wife and I take turns and it doesn't always work out. I keep thinking I want to do a full IM but getting multiple 4-6 hr rides on weekends is just out of the question.

2018-10-05 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The book that is my race report is published

2018-10-05 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. Our kids are young - 5 and 1.5 years, so we're doing school and daycare. I had a big conversation with him that made him pretty unhappy. Just call me the dream killer. He hasn't mentioned it again but maybe tomorrow i'll open it up again. I am more open to i just have conditions - like serious scheduling and a coach. 

I also have been thinking about the Instapot - i wasn't into it to start but DH works for a big retailer so i can always get it on a discount. I will take a look through the recommendations. 

2018-10-05 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just chiming in with the IP bandwagon. We love it. It's fast and convenient! I second the "boiled" eggs. I get fresh eggs from my partner at work, yum. I couple it with meal planning using "Once a month meals" and shazam, easy dinner in under an hour. Push a button, go do other stuff.

I made pork for tacos al pastor earlier this week. yum.

2018-10-05 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

This was going to be my advise.. all except the HM being my favorite distance part.

2018-10-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner

Just chiming in with the IP bandwagon. We love it. It's fast and convenient! I second the "boiled" eggs. I get fresh eggs from my partner at work, yum. I couple it with meal planning using "Once a month meals" and shazam, easy dinner in under an hour. Push a button, go do other stuff.

My husband and I are vegetarians (well, we eat dairy and eggs). I have been InstaPot jealous for a while, but I just cant figure out if it would be beneficial since most dishes I hear of being cooked with it are meats. someone tell me I am wrong and I should get one.

2018-10-05 12:45 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

My husband and I are vegetarians (well, we eat dairy and eggs). I have been InstaPot jealous for a while, but I just cant figure out if it would be beneficial since most dishes I hear of being cooked with it are meats. someone tell me I am wrong and I should get one.

no meat, but dairy and eggs=vegetarian.  no meat, no dairy, no eggs = vegan.

This is the  book I use.

2018-10-05 1:23 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. Our kids are young - 5 and 1.5 years, so we're doing school and daycare. I had a big conversation with him that made him pretty unhappy. Just call me the dream killer. He hasn't mentioned it again but maybe tomorrow i'll open it up again. I am more open to i just have conditions - like serious scheduling and a coach. 

I also have been thinking about the Instapot - i wasn't into it to start but DH works for a big retailer so i can always get it on a discount. I will take a look through the recommendations. 

Re: IMMT - Conditions are perfectly reasonable.

Re: Instant Pot - At this time of year, I'd wait for a Black Friday type sale if Darren can't get a good discount.

2018-10-05 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is the  book I use.

The New Fast Food one?

2018-10-05 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This is the  book I use.

The New Fast Food one?

yes

2018-10-05 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 6-7
Mary - Hot Chocolate 15K  on Sunday
TJ - Hot Chocolate 15K  on Sunday
Stacey - Perth Running Festival - 21k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2018-10-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

95% of the time, I use it as a rice cooker. Brown rice in about 30 minutes, white in about 15 total. For me, it's worth it for that alone as we eat a good bit of brown rice and rarely remembered to start it an hour in advance.
2018-10-05 2:12 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by awm007

95% of the time, I use it as a rice cooker. Brown rice in about 30 minutes, white in about 15 total. For me, it's worth it for that alone as we eat a good bit of brown rice and rarely remembered to start it an hour in advance.

It's great for rice and, as mentioned above, boiled eggs.  Also soups, I make chili or minestrone soup in less than an hour that taste like they cooked for hours. I also made artichokes in just a few minutes. DS1 and my (soon to be) daughter-in-law also use my IP for their meal prep work.

2018-10-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

It's great for rice and, as mentioned above, boiled eggs.  Also soups, I make chili or minestrone soup in less than an hour that taste like they cooked for hours. I also made artichokes in just a few minutes. DS1 and my (soon to be) daughter-in-law also use my IP for their meal prep work.

Hmmmm.... I think I may have to look into it more.

2018-10-05 3:55 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hey Manatees! 

I'll get back with you on the title.  IP is awesome for hard boiled eggs -cooks them perfectly (assuming you take them out and get cold water on them before they cook too much) and you never, ever, never have an issue peeling them.

The 5-5-5 method?!

Seriously, there is a FB group and those people are HARDCORE IP users. If you have any questions, they have thousands of answers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13623 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27450 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis