BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-10-06 1:15 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Atlantia I've been thinking of getting an Instant Pot, and all these talks of recipes is really making me want to get one! On another topic, I'm not sure how to approach my fall running season goal race. My team has chosen Rock n Roll DC, which offers a marathon, half marathon, and 5k. The marathon is not on the table right now, but I'm uncertain whether I should choose the half or the 5k. Half: It would be my first half I am extremely slow (15min/mi doing 1min run/1 min walk intervals right now), so the long run days would take a very long time The race is early March - the weather could be quite bad The race is early March - I have tons of time to prepare! If I get my VO2 Max tested (discounts offered through the team) I would finally know my proper paces, maybe see some improvement, and maybe get to run faster than my current pace. 5k I would love to set a PR! I originally told myself that I wanted to get some speed before I went for longer distances. The race is in early March - that's a very long time to do 5k specific training. All the weather and VO2 Max comments are the same. Obviously my heart is leaning towards the half, because it would be more pomp, a "big scary" challenge, and all that. But my head is telling me that 5k training is the smarter choice. Managing my syncope and POTS is still a learning challenge, and if I wind up needing to take some time off for health stuff, I will have plenty of time to catch back up. Ugh.....no idea. Haaaaaalp!

Can you sign up for the HM and train for it like normal and if you find managing your syncope and POTS is negatively affected, switch to the 5k? I know a lot of races let you drop down, though it could end up being an expensive 5k!

With HM training you can also do some speed work and strength work to go along with the endurance miles which should improve your 5k time, so i don't think its a one or the other deal re: long v faster.  Also, leading up to the race are there 5ks you can enter to do more speed work and maybe see that PR?

HM is probably my favorite distance, so I'm a little biased!

This was going to be my advise.. all except the HM being my favorite distance part.

this was going to be my suggestion too.

2018-10-07 12:39 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Happy Sunday Manatees!!!

Let's say that you're in the market for a new tri bike. Let's say that there are 2 bikes within your budgeted amount that have the desired bells and whistles on them. Let's say that you have had the opportunity to sit on both bikes on a trainer, and both will work well with your personal body geometry.

If these were your two options and your bike fitter gives you the thumbs up on both, which would you choose and why? (Ignore the $1200 price difference. That's actually not true--the QR is within $300 of the Canyon's out the door price).

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-8-0-di2

https://quintanarootri.com/collections/prfive/products/prfive-ultegr...
2018-10-07 1:03 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Happy Sunday Manatees!!! Let's say that you're in the market for a new tri bike. Let's say that there are 2 bikes within your budgeted amount that have the desired bells and whistles on them. Let's say that you have had the opportunity to sit on both bikes on a trainer, and both will work well with your personal body geometry. If these were your two options and your bike fitter gives you the thumbs up on both, which would you choose and why? (Ignore the $1200 price difference. That's actually not true--the QR is within $300 of the Canyon's out the door price). https://www.canyon.com/en-us/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-8-0-di2https://quintanarootri.com/collections/prfive/products/prfive-ultegra-di2-race

A new bike , yay! Either looks awesome to me. I’d also look at this  Just because I am intrigued by it!  But seriously, both your choices look great. Flip a coin

2018-10-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by glfprncs Happy Sunday Manatees!!! Let's say that you're in the market for a new tri bike. Let's say that there are 2 bikes within your budgeted amount that have the desired bells and whistles on them. Let's say that you have had the opportunity to sit on both bikes on a trainer, and both will work well with your personal body geometry. If these were your two options and your bike fitter gives you the thumbs up on both, which would you choose and why? (Ignore the $1200 price difference. That's actually not true--the QR is within $300 of the Canyon's out the door price). https://www.canyon.com/en-us/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-8-0-di2https://quintanarootri.com/collections/prfive/products/prfive-ultegra-di2-race

A new bike , yay! Either looks awesome to me. I’d also look at this  Just because I am intrigued by it!  But seriously, both your choices look great. Flip a coin

All three look pretty cool to me, I'm sure you won't go wrong. The Canyon has some great symmetry to it. And this is coming from a guy who has always liked the Q-Roo designs.

2018-10-07 2:00 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

All three look pretty cool to me, I'm sure you won't go wrong. The Canyon has some great symmetry to it. And this is coming from a guy who has always liked the Q-Roo designs.

Chris,

I LOVE the Canyon. My only concern would be warranty work. If it needs anything, it would have to be shipped back to California at my expense. The closest QR dealer to me is a few hours away, but that's significantly less troublesome than packing it up and shipping it to Cali.

I would REALLY like the Trek Speed Concept, and it was on my radar. However, the price was already a bit above my budget and then they just raised their prices in the past month which puts it entirely out of the budget.
2018-10-07 5:45 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Atlantia I've been thinking of getting an Instant Pot, and all these talks of recipes is really making me want to get one! On another topic, I'm not sure how to approach my fall running season goal race. My team has chosen Rock n Roll DC, which offers a marathon, half marathon, and 5k. The marathon is not on the table right now, but I'm uncertain whether I should choose the half or the 5k. Half: It would be my first half I am extremely slow (15min/mi doing 1min run/1 min walk intervals right now), so the long run days would take a very long time The race is early March - the weather could be quite bad The race is early March - I have tons of time to prepare! If I get my VO2 Max tested (discounts offered through the team) I would finally know my proper paces, maybe see some improvement, and maybe get to run faster than my current pace. 5k I would love to set a PR! I originally told myself that I wanted to get some speed before I went for longer distances. The race is in early March - that's a very long time to do 5k specific training. All the weather and VO2 Max comments are the same. Obviously my heart is leaning towards the half, because it would be more pomp, a "big scary" challenge, and all that. But my head is telling me that 5k training is the smarter choice. Managing my syncope and POTS is still a learning challenge, and if I wind up needing to take some time off for health stuff, I will have plenty of time to catch back up. Ugh.....no idea. Haaaaaalp!

Can you sign up for the HM and train for it like normal and if you find managing your syncope and POTS is negatively affected, switch to the 5k? I know a lot of races let you drop down, though it could end up being an expensive 5k!

With HM training you can also do some speed work and strength work to go along with the endurance miles which should improve your 5k time, so i don't think its a one or the other deal re: long v faster.  Also, leading up to the race are there 5ks you can enter to do more speed work and maybe see that PR?

HM is probably my favorite distance, so I'm a little biased!

This was going to be my advise.. all except the HM being my favorite distance part.

this was going to be my suggestion too.

Such a good idea! I will sign up for the half. Eek!

2018-10-07 8:24 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Chris,

I LOVE the Canyon. My only concern would be warranty work. If it needs anything, it would have to be shipped back to California at my expense. The closest QR dealer to me is a few hours away, but that's significantly less troublesome than packing it up and shipping it to Cali.

I would REALLY like the Trek Speed Concept, and it was on my radar. However, the price was already a bit above my budget and then they just raised their prices in the past month which puts it entirely out of the budget.

Sounds like you've already decided!
2018-10-08 7:05 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Chris,

Actually, I haven't. Every day I'm leaning towards a different one. Yesterday, it was the QR. The day before, the Canyon. Today...I'm totally indecisive.

The size I need in the Canyon has been back ordered for quite some time, and on their website, they recently changed the "available soon" on the size to "out of stock." That may solve my dilemma when it's time to finally pull out my credit card (which will probably be AFTER I pull out my credit card for IM-LOU).

I also need new cycling shoes for my WIDE toebox. This is going to be an expensive last quarter to my year.
2018-10-08 8:50 AM

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Chris,

Actually, I haven't. Every day I'm leaning towards a different one. Yesterday, it was the QR. The day before, the Canyon. Today...I'm totally indecisive.

The size I need in the Canyon has been back ordered for quite some time, and on their website, they recently changed the "available soon" on the size to "out of stock." That may solve my dilemma when it's time to finally pull out my credit card (which will probably be AFTER I pull out my credit card for IM-LOU).

I also need new cycling shoes for my WIDE toebox. This is going to be an expensive last quarter to my year.

Here's something that may want you to research QR a bit. My brother-in-law purchased a new QR in 2014 about 3 weeks before IM Bouder. Two weeks after the race, he went in for a refit as he felt his fit wasn't as good as it could be. The tech doing the refit noticed a crack in the frame. The bike had never been crashed or even dropped or fallen over. QR was a nightmare to deal with. The shop he bought the bike at went totally at bat for him. It took them threatening to discontinue carrying QR for them to give him a new frame as the cracked one was not fixable. I also know another person who I swam masters with who had a cracked frame on a new bike and they did not replace it. Same location as my BIL's.

I also know people who love their QR and have had no problems or easy problems to fix.

2018-10-08 9:09 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Originally posted by fortissimo

Here's something that may want you to research QR a bit. My brother-in-law purchased a new QR in 2014 about 3 weeks before IM Bouder. Two weeks after the race, he went in for a refit as he felt his fit wasn't as good as it could be. The tech doing the refit noticed a crack in the frame. The bike had never been crashed or even dropped or fallen over. QR was a nightmare to deal with. The shop he bought the bike at went totally at bat for him. It took them threatening to discontinue carrying QR for them to give him a new frame as the cracked one was not fixable. I also know another person who I swam masters with who had a cracked frame on a new bike and they did not replace it. Same location as my BIL's.

I also know people who love their QR and have had no problems or easy problems to fix.

Ugh. Good to know. Will talk with Curtis at Cannon Cyclery regarding QR frame issues.
2018-10-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

That is something I am VERY interested in.

2018-10-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Atlantia

That is something I am VERY interested in.

I've been wearing Bontrager Hilo triathlon shoes for the past 3 years, but as I'm aging, things seem to be settling more. My tootsies are NOT happy after 3 hours of pedaling in heat.

What I've found for wider toe boxes are: Bont OR Lake Cycling's shoes. Both companies have an actual WIDE shoe, but I've done the measurements shown on both of their websites which indicate I actually don't need a wide in their shoes. They also offer a heat moldable heel cup area (you actually put the shoes in the oven to mold them) that you can redo more than once if you don't get it right the first time.

I've had to also be very specific in my running shoes. I run in New Balance 1080s (nice roomy toes) and the Topo Ultrafly (VERY roomy toe box).

Edited by glfprncs 2018-10-08 9:52 AM
2018-10-08 1:26 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
2018-10-09 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by fortissimo Here's something that may want you to research QR a bit. My brother-in-law purchased a new QR in 2014 about 3 weeks before IM Bouder. Two weeks after the race, he went in for a refit as he felt his fit wasn't as good as it could be. The tech doing the refit noticed a crack in the frame. The bike had never been crashed or even dropped or fallen over. QR was a nightmare to deal with. The shop he bought the bike at went totally at bat for him. It took them threatening to discontinue carrying QR for them to give him a new frame as the cracked one was not fixable. I also know another person who I swam masters with who had a cracked frame on a new bike and they did not replace it. Same location as my BIL's. I also know people who love their QR and have had no problems or easy problems to fix.
Ugh. Good to know. Will talk with Curtis at Cannon Cyclery regarding QR frame issues.

Another thought on purchasing is timing. When I bought my Jamis, I did so at the end of the year. I intentionally buy at this time of year, as I can get close-out, year-end pricing. If your intention is to buy the latest and greatest, this may not work for you. If you are overly price conscious, as I have been at times, this can help. So, my bike purchase thought process usually break down in order like this:

1. Bike function (MTB, tri, road, etc) This one is easy
  2. Price - I go with "bang for your buck", "not cheaper is better". This thought process also includes quality of bike and parts.
  3. Repair and maintenance - I like to work on my stuff, but bigger items need professional attention at times and my local guy does great work for me. I generally get a year free labor after purchase, plus warranty, so this one is always a plus in the column for my LBS. My MTB had a couple of issues that had to be taken care of and I was without the bike for less than a week. With the newer tech on bikes like hydraulic disc brakes and elec shifting, this takes on a higher level of concern at times. Ann's e-assist is a good example of the value of a local shop.
  4. Availability - My LBS carries Specialized, Jamis and Giant so those are the primary picking points. A fairly good, somewhat limited range of bikes, but if I want something else, I really have to ponder the decision for a bit. My next bike will probably fall into this category, as I am looking for a full suspension mtb after my eldest gets married next year and I may be leaning to a different brand like Yeti or Santa Cruz(see the quality/price thought process in #2)

That's kind of how I break it down, it appears that you have done a bunch of that type of thinking and have arrived at your short list of bikes. If you are talking with your bike shop on it, it might be beneficial to ask about this (last?) year's bikes. Mine was on a shelf in a warehouse in Miami with no prospects for purchase, so a deal was made on it that saved me a few hundred dollars. Or, if you want to look at it this way, free shoes!

2018-10-09 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by fortissimo Here's something that may want you to research QR a bit. My brother-in-law purchased a new QR in 2014 about 3 weeks before IM Bouder. Two weeks after the race, he went in for a refit as he felt his fit wasn't as good as it could be. The tech doing the refit noticed a crack in the frame. The bike had never been crashed or even dropped or fallen over. QR was a nightmare to deal with. The shop he bought the bike at went totally at bat for him. It took them threatening to discontinue carrying QR for them to give him a new frame as the cracked one was not fixable. I also know another person who I swam masters with who had a cracked frame on a new bike and they did not replace it. Same location as my BIL's. I also know people who love their QR and have had no problems or easy problems to fix.

Another thought on purchasing is timing. When I bought my Jamis, I did so at the end of the year. I intentionally buy at this time of year, as I can get close-out, year-end pricing. If your intention is to buy the latest and greatest, this may not work for you. If you are overly price conscious, as I have been at times, this can help. So, my bike purchase thought process usually break down in order like this:

2. Price - I go with "bang for your buck", "not cheaper is better". This thought process also includes quality of bike and parts.
  3. Repair and maintenance - I like to work on my stuff, but bigger items need professional attention at times and my local guy does great work for me. I generally get a year free labor after purchase, plus warranty, so this one is always a plus in the column for my LBS. My MTB had a couple of issues that had to be taken care of and I was without the bike for less than a week. With the newer tech on bikes like hydraulic disc brakes and elec shifting, this takes on a higher level of concern at times. Ann's e-assist is a good example of the value of a local shop.
  4. Availability - My LBS carries Specialized, Jamis and Giant so those are the primary picking points. A fairly good, somewhat limited range of bikes, but if I want something else, I really have to ponder the decision for a bit. My next bike will probably fall into this category, as I am looking for a full suspension mtb after my eldest gets married next year and I may be leaning to a different brand like Yeti or Santa Cruz(see the quality/price thought process in #2)

That's kind of how I break it down, it appears that you have done a bunch of that type of thinking and have arrived at your short list of bikes. If you are talking with your bike shop on it, it might be beneficial to ask about this (last?) year's bikes. Mine was on a shelf in a warehouse in Miami with no prospects for purchase, so a deal was made on it that saved me a few hundred dollars. Or, if you want to look at it this way, free shoes!

Chris you forgot about the colour - that's number 3
2018-10-09 8:53 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that when I narrowed my bike purchase down to two bikes, I went with the one I thought looked better over the one with slightly nicer components. I convinced myself that the better-looking bike felt better as well, but I'm pretty sure deep down I knew that wasn't true

Edited by awm007 2018-10-09 8:53 AM

2018-10-09 8:56 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by awm007

I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that when I narrowed my bike purchase down to two bikes, I went with the one I thought looked better over the one with slightly nicer components. I convinced myself that the better-looking bike felt better as well, but I'm pretty sure deep down I knew that wasn't true

My list is mine alone, everyone has their own list and as such should be unashamed of the process used to spend that kind of money. Buy what you want, using whatever process you use.

2018-10-09 10:41 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Shifting gears (heh)...

Any Florida panhandle folks we need to be checking in on? My sister (BrendaK here on BT, she may be private though) and her kids are evacuating to my house today as Tallahassee is going to get hit hard. This is the 3rd major hurricane in as many years to hit the panhandle, which is wild. 

2018-10-09 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by lisac957

Shifting gears (heh)...

Any Florida panhandle folks we need to be checking in on? My sister (BrendaK here on BT, she may be private though) and her kids are evacuating to my house today as Tallahassee is going to get hit hard. This is the 3rd major hurricane in as many years to hit the panhandle, which is wild. 

My parents retired down to Pensacola in May, to be near their mothers. My entire family except for my brother are in P'cola and Pace. So far there is no talk of anyone evacuating.

Edited by Atlantia 2018-10-09 12:24 PM
2018-10-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Shifting gears (heh)...

My parents retired down to Pensacola in May, to be near their mothers. My entire family except for my brother are in P'cola and Pace. So far there is no talk of anyone evacuating.

My only observation on evacuations is that you can either go early or not go at all. Those that go late experience a hurricane while sitting in the car on a highway that resembles a parking lot. Or in a hotel that is ill prepared. I don't mean to sound like Jim Cantore, but I've been through a few and they aren't fun. My hope is that they are a few miles off the coast, the farther the better. Storm surge SUX.

2018-10-09 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Shifting gears (heh)...

My only observation on evacuations is that you can either go early or not go at all. Those that go late experience a hurricane while sitting in the car on a highway that resembles a parking lot. Or in a hotel that is ill prepared. I don't mean to sound like Jim Cantore, but I've been through a few and they aren't fun. My hope is that they are a few miles off the coast, the farther the better. Storm surge SUX.

They're on the Bay side, not too too close to shore. The extended fam has also lived there for going on 70 years, so they've been through a few of these before. I just worry more now that everyone is towards the elderly side. Fingers crossed!

2018-10-09 7:35 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Shifting gears (heh)...

They're on the Bay side, not too too close to shore. The extended fam has also lived there for going on 70 years, so they've been through a few of these before. I just worry more now that everyone is towards the elderly side. Fingers crossed!

I feel a bit better since they are off the coast and experienced at this sort of thing. The elderly part is challenging at times. I'm keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

2018-10-10 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Shifting gears (heh)...

I feel a bit better since they are off the coast and experienced at this sort of thing. The elderly part is challenging at times. I'm keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks so much, Chris. It is so appreciated!
The waters have started to get higher already around my cousins. All the eldest are packed up with some of the young'uns for the duration. I haven't specifically heard from my parents yet, but I'm sure they'll check in some time today.
2018-10-10 9:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

I meant to post this last week but I was sidetracked by Florence. I hope that everyone is doing well and that there is no additional flooding in PA or WNC. We need a report from Nancy on the status of the Savannah River in advance of Augusta 70.3 this weekend.

This is the list that I have compiled so far on meetup ideas. What say you?

2019 Manatee Meetup Ideas

RAGNAR Richmond April 26-27
https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/richmond_va#overview

Bolder Boulder on May 27
https://www.bolderboulder.com/

Eagle Up Ultra relay, Ohio, June 8-9
http://www.runcanton.com/eagle-up-ultra

Iromman St. George 70.3
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/st.-george.aspx

(And if we are going to throw in HIM events, I’ll add Augusta, Williamsburg, and Lake Logan)

How do you all feel about Ragnar Trail? A meetup would be interesting, although I'm not sure there will be this exact event next year:

https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/carolinas_sc#overview

2018-10-10 1:50 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

I meant to post this last week but I was sidetracked by Florence. I hope that everyone is doing well and that there is no additional flooding in PA or WNC. We need a report from Nancy on the status of the Savannah River in advance of Augusta 70.3 this weekend.

This is the list that I have compiled so far on meetup ideas. What say you?

2019 Manatee Meetup Ideas

RAGNAR Richmond April 26-27
https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/richmond_va#overview

Bolder Boulder on May 27
https://www.bolderboulder.com/

Eagle Up Ultra relay, Ohio, June 8-9
http://www.runcanton.com/eagle-up-ultra

Iromman St. George 70.3
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/st.-george.aspx

(And if we are going to throw in HIM events, I’ll add Augusta, Williamsburg, and Lake Logan)

How do you all feel about Ragnar Trail? A meetup would be interesting, although I'm not sure there will be this exact event next year:

https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/carolinas_sc#overview

That sounds fun, Chris!  I love trail running, plus I've never lost blood in the Carolinas yet.    While I'm being tongue-in-cheek with my blood comment, I'd be interested in being part of a Ragnar trail run experience.  Many of them seem to be loop/camp based which seems more appealing to me than being in a van/car, driving from point to point.

Edited by melbo55 2018-10-10 1:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13532 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27297 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis