United States
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 39m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up around 4, used the new Normatec boots, ate my bagel and PB and got myself down to transition.
Event warmup:

Ran into Janyne at the swim start and hung with her and almost 4k of our closest friends as we waited forever to get to the start. We seeded ourselves appropriately, others seem to have jumped ahead. Took at least til 8:30 to start. So warmup was waiting a really long time in my wetsuit! I should have unzipped the top as my back started hurting - from the suit? from standing around so long? IDK, but i think this came back to haunt me on the run.
Swim
  • 24m 7s
  • 1513 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The upstream portion of the swim was cancelled for the AGers. CAn't say I'm disappointed as the swim is my nemesis!
Jumped into the river -it was cold!, but the water was way better than the Ohio i swam in for L-ville! That was super gross!! It wasn't clear, but you could see some light and the only time i smelled fuel was when swimming near the event boats.
The first part of every swim for me is trying to get my breathing under control and settling down. I was able to do that quickly -for me, this swim and actually started to enjoy the swim. It helped that the current was my friend :) But then I wasn't able to breath . WTF? I had to do some breast stroking and realized the not being able to breathe was not my normal race thing, but a rattling in my chest. This was new. I then had to stop often to breast stroke so i could cough and breathe.
I had no idea what was going on, but hoped whatever it was would be gone once i was out of the swim. Not so much.
What would you do differently?:

Not develop adult on-set allergies. I think i was going to have a good swim for me before i couldn't breath.
Transition 1
  • 07m 9s
Comments:

It is a long way from swim out to transition and part of it is uphill! But the wetsuit strippers were great!
Bike
  • 3h 30m
  • 56.68 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This was very disappointing. I could not breathe and b/c of that could not ride any faster than this. Uphills were so hard. Andrews almost killed me :0 This is a short, but extremely steep hill. When i got there many people were pushing their bike uphill. I didn't have to do that, but my heart rate was out of control by the time i crested the top and it took the entire screaming downhill to stop coughing my lungs up.
I knew my pace was bad when a 72 year old woman passed me! We leaped frog back and forth for many miles before i finally stayed ahead of her when we got back into TN.
I did the full in Sept at a much better pace than this and i was pretty confident i would hold close to 18 mph for this race. Ha! That plan did not work out so well.
Other than the not being able to breathe thing and being passed by a 72 year old, the only other exciting thing to happen was riding around a rattle snake who was in the middle of the road! There was a man in the street calling out that there was a snake in the road- which was really nice as i think he was just a good samaritan and not volunteer. As i rode around the snake i realized it was a coiled rattle snake. Yikes!
Oh, and i did see a number of crashes - not as they happened, just the after math as the rider was being attended to.
What would you do differently?:

Breathe without losing a lung or 2.
Transition 2
  • 06m 40s
Comments:

It was a long wayfrom bike in to my rack, then I did a pit stop and a sunscreen stop before heading out.
Run
  • 2h 31m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt great, so that is the good thing about this run. Once again the not being able to breathe thing was a hinderance. I ran the u-turn and then when i got to the first hill i had to walk. Walked the entire thing. On the way up I ran into Linda and we chatted for a bit before i decided i had to start running again.
Eventually, my breath got under control and i decided to do a 5:1 run walk to keep it that way. That worked swell until my back started to seize up. At first it was just around my kidneys- felt like a vise squeezing them, but eventually was my entire back. I don't know what this was about - bad position on the bike? the wet suit thing? something new? I would run for a bit then i'd have to stop and walk. When i ran my legs felt great and i actually had a really good pace. In fact, multiple people called out to me commenting on how fast i was running. I thanked them and assured them that i'd be walking soon enough :) I walked all the hills and ran all the downhills and as much flats as i could. it was hot, but nothing i wasn't able to cope with. Guess Florida is good for something! One really neat thing was the humidity was so low that the small patches of shade actually felt great! That doesn't happen in Florida!!

Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and immediately saw Janyne. She asked if i needed to go to medical - i didn't, just needed to stretch my back and get some advil in me -and stop running :) She led me to the food/drink tent where i grabbed a soda and some pretzels and chips. We then sat on a bench while i drank the soda and threw away the food. Not ready for food yet! My back was really unhappy, so I was ready to get back to the hotel for a hot shower and advil.
Janyne helped me get my gear back to the hotel. Thanks Janyne!!
Showered, downed advil, and used the normatec boots!
Then met up with Kevin and Janyne and we walked the mile or so to Milk and Honey for some dinner. My Beyond Beef burger and beer really hit the spot. I think the walk also helped flush the system.

Event comments:

I am rather disappointed with my race - I seem to be snake bitten when it comes to long course racing! But am happy i managed things and was able to finish running!
I really like the Chattanooga course and the city and people are amazing!! One day i hope to put it all together and have a good race here :)

Last updated: 2019-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:07 | 1513 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:30:00 | 56.68 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:31:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2019-05-21 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Ironman Chattanooga 70.3

2019-05-21 10:30 AM
in reply to: #5259007

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga 70.3
so frustrating when you're ready to rock and then your body doesn't cooperate - and then it even fights with itself when your legs felt good but the rest said "meh, not so much."

Congrats on another finish (to finish is to win)! Glad J was there for you too - she's pretty cool

2019-05-21 10:47 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Sorry about your breathing and back issues! I'd guess part of it was the standing around for 2 hours before the swim - maybe? I think I was fully zipped up in my wetsuit at 6:45 and didn't get in the water until 8:33 - thought the line would move much faster. I also had to keep taking my goggles off of my head because they were giving me a headache. There were just no opportunities to sit down while the line was moving.

Great job with moving forward though - hard to do when things are going wrong!

2019-05-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so frustrating when you're ready to rock and then your body doesn't cooperate - and then it even fights with itself when your legs felt good but the rest said "meh, not so much." Congrats on another finish (to finish is to win)! Glad J was there for you too - she's pretty cool

Thanks! You're right, finishing is winning and Janyne is pretty cool

2019-05-21 12:01 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
"I knew my pace was bad when a 72 year old woman passed me! We leaped frog back and forth for many miles before i finally stayed ahead of her when we got back into TN. "

Triathlon is incredibly humbling. I get passed all the time by people in their 60s and probably 30 pounds overweight. Then there was a race where a 12 yo girl beat me by 15 minutes. In a SPRINT tri!

Glad you finished and didn't need medical. That's a really long time to wait to get into the water. I'd be tired from from all of that standing around.
2019-05-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by awm007 "I knew my pace was bad when a 72 year old woman passed me! We leaped frog back and forth for many miles before i finally stayed ahead of her when we got back into TN. " Triathlon is incredibly humbling. I get passed all the time by people in their 60s and probably 30 pounds overweight. Then there was a race where a 12 yo girl beat me by 15 minutes. In a SPRINT tri! Glad you finished and didn't need medical. That's a really long time to wait to get into the water. I'd be tired from from all of that standing around.

haha, 12 year olds are fast! Thanks!

2019-05-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Way to get 'er done, Ann-Marie.  I can't imagine standing around for that long before starting, I would have been angry swimming by the time I got in .  Hope your back is feeling better!

2019-05-22 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Tough day, but you got it done! Way to go, Ann-Marie. I can't believe there was a rattler in the middle of the road. #nosnakesplease
2019-05-22 9:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Rattlesnake - whaaaaat?!?!?!  And then your comment at the end: "...I seem to be snake bitten when it comes to long course racing" had me doing a double take.  

Your breathing issue almost sounds like a bit of asthma but hopefully (or better still hopefully not) allergies.  Sorry to hear this ended up being your limiter moreso than the heat.  The standing around waiting for the swim sounds awful and too long.

Big thanks to Janyne and Kevin for helping you out at the finish!  Another reason it's nice to race with friends, friends that care.  Congrats on finishing another big race!

Edited by melbo55 2019-05-22 9:24 AM
2019-05-22 9:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Rattlesnake - whaaaaat?!?!?!  And then your comment at the end: "...I seem to be snake bitten when it comes to long course racing" had me doing a double take.  

Your breathing issue almost sounds like a bit of asthma but hopefully (or better still hopefully not) allergies.  Sorry to hear this ended up being your limiter moreso than the heat.  The standing around waiting for the swim sounds awful and too long.

Big thanks to Janyne and Kevin for helping you out at the finish!  Another reason it's nice to race with friends, friends that care.  Congrats on finishing another big race!

Haha, i hadn't thought about the double snake reference -good catch! Definitely allergies, they are something i've recently developed, but never had the congestion move into the chest like that! Yep, being sherpaless this race had its pitfalls, but Janyne and Kevin were great help! 

2019-05-22 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It was great seeing you in Chattanooga! I'm sorry that your race did not turn out as you planned. I know that Myrtle Beach was that way for me -- upper back seized up. Brain said, "Run legs." Legs said, "What?" Unfortunately, it still happens even when you put together a good training block.

I hope that you are feeling better.

FWIW, I asked if you wanted to go to medical to get advil/aleve ASAP, not because you looked terrible or were walking badly or anything. You *did* finish with a smile on your face!

2019-05-22 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

Haha, i hadn't thought about the double snake reference -good catch! Definitely allergies, they are something i've recently developed, but never had the congestion move into the chest like that! Yep, being sherpaless this race had its pitfalls, but Janyne and Kevin were great help! 

I noticed all of the snakes in the commentary as well! I remember the man pointing out the snake but forgot about it until you mentioned it!

2019-05-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Way to get 'er done, Ann-Marie.  I can't imagine standing around for that long before starting, I would have been angry swimming by the time I got in .  Hope your back is feeling better!

Kevin slept through me getting ready and leaving for transition, he had breakfast, then got his bike and rode over the bridge near the swim start and Ann-Marie, Lisa, and I were STILL IN LINE. That's a long wait.

2019-05-23 2:59 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I saw the snake, it was too close for my comfort!

Great job!

2019-05-27 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hope you are feeling better at this point. Congratulations on making the most out of what the day gave you. And for getting through it all with your lungs intact!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga 70.3

Started by lisac957
Views: 1721 Posts: 16

2019-05-27 8:45 PM cdban66

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by lisac957
Views: 1563 Posts: 15

2018-10-08 11:00 AM InnerAthlete