Other Resources 2020 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 116
 
 
2020-10-23 3:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser
52084
50005000500050005000500050005000500050002000252525
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Karen, I sent you a message on Facebook!

Our holiday plans are literally all over the map. I was dying on Christmas 2018, too sick to celebrate 2019, and now 2020! Ha. I got Grinched! I think Christmas will be just me and my elderly mother (Mutti) and her caregivers here in Jakarta. COVID is raging in Indonesia and it's unlikely my sister would be able to join us. 

Mary/Maria/Marysia I or my brother would usually always cook rotkohl, the German red-cabbage sauerkraut. Failing that it will be Polish style sauerkraut which is much more stringy but I love it.

What's rough is that while my husband Kingsley and I are used to long separations (prior for work, family in 2 dif countries, races) it's going to be the longest ever at 6-12mo. To get back into Australia you quarantine at a pre-approved hotel for 2 weeks at your cost, and nothing is cheap in Perth. 

ETA it's worse than that. I'm not allowed back into Western Australia at all. That might last 'til July 2021 at which point I'll have been gone a year.

Well, that stinks! I'm glad that you have Mutti -- and that she has you. I'm sure that you really want to be with Kingsley. I wish that there was some brilliant plan to get you two back together but I've got nothing :-(

Well, we used up the brilliant plan to get me here--it was truly miraculous on all fronts and needed to be as we knew I was getting critically ill in Australia with no help except symptomatic support from our GP and physical therapist. So that's probably the more important brilliant plan. He sends me cat pictures nearly every day as well. It's additionally hard because we work together a lot and it's just that much more of a pain in the butt not to be able to bounce stuff off each other in person. 

Plus, he doesn't work out if I'm not there. It's very weird. Him of all people. I guess he has his own way of pining away poor thing!



2020-10-23 6:26 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
8498
500020001000100100100100252525
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Karen, I sent you a message on Facebook!

Our holiday plans are literally all over the map. I was dying on Christmas 2018, too sick to celebrate 2019, and now 2020! Ha. I got Grinched! I think Christmas will be just me and my elderly mother (Mutti) and her caregivers here in Jakarta. COVID is raging in Indonesia and it's unlikely my sister would be able to join us. 

Mary/Maria/Marysia I or my brother would usually always cook rotkohl, the German red-cabbage sauerkraut. Failing that it will be Polish style sauerkraut which is much more stringy but I love it.

What's rough is that while my husband Kingsley and I are used to long separations (prior for work, family in 2 dif countries, races) it's going to be the longest ever at 6-12mo. To get back into Australia you quarantine at a pre-approved hotel for 2 weeks at your cost, and nothing is cheap in Perth. 

ETA it's worse than that. I'm not allowed back into Western Australia at all. That might last 'til July 2021 at which point I'll have been gone a year.

Well, that stinks! I'm glad that you have Mutti -- and that she has you. I'm sure that you really want to be with Kingsley. I wish that there was some brilliant plan to get you two back together but I've got nothing :-(

Well, we used up the brilliant plan to get me here--it was truly miraculous on all fronts and needed to be as we knew I was getting critically ill in Australia with no help except symptomatic support from our GP and physical therapist. So that's probably the more important brilliant plan. He sends me cat pictures nearly every day as well. It's additionally hard because we work together a lot and it's just that much more of a pain in the butt not to be able to bounce stuff off each other in person. 

Plus, he doesn't work out if I'm not there. It's very weird. Him of all people. I guess he has his own way of pining away poor thing!

I know that you had to deal with some pretty major health issues these past few years. That makes the whole global pandemic thing all the more scary!

Regarding work, yes, it's a lot more difficult to brainstorm or troubleshoot when you are working remotely. I've been working from home since March and mostly it's gone really well (Zoe is a great office mate! well, she does bark in her sleep sometimes...) but right now, I am on a project where I need to set up user permissions. If I could sit in a room with the others on the team, we could have the whole thing resolved in under 45 minutes. Remotely, however, it's taking a whole lot longer than that!

2020-10-23 6:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
6942
5000100050010010010010025
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Karen, I sent you a message on Facebook!

Our holiday plans are literally all over the map. I was dying on Christmas 2018, too sick to celebrate 2019, and now 2020! Ha. I got Grinched! I think Christmas will be just me and my elderly mother (Mutti) and her caregivers here in Jakarta. COVID is raging in Indonesia and it's unlikely my sister would be able to join us. 

Mary/Maria/Marysia I or my brother would usually always cook rotkohl, the German red-cabbage sauerkraut. Failing that it will be Polish style sauerkraut which is much more stringy but I love it.

What's rough is that while my husband Kingsley and I are used to long separations (prior for work, family in 2 dif countries, races) it's going to be the longest ever at 6-12mo. To get back into Australia you quarantine at a pre-approved hotel for 2 weeks at your cost, and nothing is cheap in Perth. 

ETA it's worse than that. I'm not allowed back into Western Australia at all. That might last 'til July 2021 at which point I'll have been gone a year.

Well, that stinks! I'm glad that you have Mutti -- and that she has you. I'm sure that you really want to be with Kingsley. I wish that there was some brilliant plan to get you two back together but I've got nothing :-(

Well, we used up the brilliant plan to get me here--it was truly miraculous on all fronts and needed to be as we knew I was getting critically ill in Australia with no help except symptomatic support from our GP and physical therapist. So that's probably the more important brilliant plan. He sends me cat pictures nearly every day as well. It's additionally hard because we work together a lot and it's just that much more of a pain in the butt not to be able to bounce stuff off each other in person. 

Plus, he doesn't work out if I'm not there. It's very weird. Him of all people. I guess he has his own way of pining away poor thing!

I know that you had to deal with some pretty major health issues these past few years. That makes the whole global pandemic thing all the more scary!

Regarding work, yes, it's a lot more difficult to brainstorm or troubleshoot when you are working remotely. I've been working from home since March and mostly it's gone really well (Zoe is a great office mate! well, she does bark in her sleep sometimes...) but right now, I am on a project where I need to set up user permissions. If I could sit in a room with the others on the team, we could have the whole thing resolved in under 45 minutes. Remotely, however, it's taking a whole lot longer than that

For the 2.5 months i worked from home (minus one in office day/week), there were definitely times i missed having people to discuss things with, but now that I've been in the office full-time for about 5 months, I think I'd give up those in-person discussions if I could work from home again! 

2020-10-23 12:32 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
8498
500020001000100100100100252525
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Monday the is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested.

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2020-10-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
8030
50002000100025
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Sadly, I can no longer partake (except perhaps in December due to winter break) as I have to be online starting at 8:30 AM most days. Really hoping the district comes to its senses and moves it back to 9:30. Nearly four hours of continuous live online instruction is just too long for teachers, and even more so for the kids!

Glad I'm working from home though. There's been a confirmed case among my colleagues. I don't actually know for certain who it is owing to privacy rules, only that it's someone else who is working from home, and other staff haven't been directly exposed to them. It's possible they may have been in the building at some point, but not when I was, and I've only been up there for about 10 minutes a week over the past few weeks, mostly just to check mail. Plus our principal and her husband are ill and waiting on Covid tests. I haven't seen her in person either for about ten days. I'm staying out of the building for now!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-10-23 7:36 PM
2020-10-24 7:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser
52084
50005000500050005000500050005000500050002000252525
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by Hot Runner It's possible they may have been in the building at some point, but not when I was, and I've only been up there for about 10 minutes a week over the past few weeks, mostly just to check mail. Plus our principal and her husband are ill and waiting on Covid tests. I haven't seen her in person either for about ten days. I'm staying out of the building for now!

YIKES ... sounds wise. It really concerns me, things hitting close to home for Manatees.



2020-10-25 8:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
8030
50002000100025
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
That is kind of inevitable when case rates are high. Right now about one in every 40 Americans has been diagnosed with Covid (much higher in some places) and guessing by the end of the winter it will be at least 1 in 10. One of my students (in a class of 16) has lost a grandfather and uncle to the disease. So pretty much everyone has or will have someone among their friends, colleagues, or extended family who's had it.

Oregon is still doing better than most other states in the US. At least in our town, people pretty much always wear masks indoors, and have them handy to pull up if we runners pass each other on the trails. It doesn't seem to be a huge political issue like it is in some places. But there are still issues with college students hitting the bars and partying and spreading it (to each other and beyond) and people who just don't take it as seriously as they should--lots of transmission from travel, small get-togethers with family and friends, and workplace clusters.

Sigh....It's gotten to where I can't even imagine "normal" life with kids in a classroom, real races, travel, libraries, just being able to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee at a cafe on a rainy day. I could also really use some visits to a PT and a podiatrist that I've had to postpone indefinitely because I just can't justify risking my life/health and my mom's for a sore heel or creaky elbow. But I know we have been lucky so far and it could get much, much worse.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-10-25 8:37 PM
2020-10-26 6:02 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
8498
500020001000100100100100252525
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sadly, I can no longer partake (except perhaps in December due to winter break) as I have to be online starting at 8:30 AM most days. Really hoping the district comes to its senses and moves it back to 9:30. Nearly four hours of continuous live online instruction is just too long for teachers, and even more so for the kids!

I don't know how you do it. I had 90 minute presentation last week and barely survived!

Glad I'm working from home though. There's been a confirmed case among my colleagues. I don't actually know for certain who it is owing to privacy rules, only that it's someone else who is working from home, and other staff haven't been directly exposed to them. It's possible they may have been in the building at some point, but not when I was, and I've only been up there for about 10 minutes a week over the past few weeks, mostly just to check mail. Plus our principal and her husband are ill and waiting on Covid tests. I haven't seen her in person either for about ten days. I'm staying out of the building for now!

Stay safe!

2020-10-26 6:07 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
8498
500020001000100100100100252525
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by Hot Runner That is kind of inevitable when case rates are high. Right now about one in every 40 Americans has been diagnosed with Covid (much higher in some places) and guessing by the end of the winter it will be at least 1 in 10. One of my students (in a class of 16) has lost a grandfather and uncle to the disease. So pretty much everyone has or will have someone among their friends, colleagues, or extended family who's had it. Oregon is still doing better than most other states in the US. At least in our town, people pretty much always wear masks indoors, and have them handy to pull up if we runners pass each other on the trails. It doesn't seem to be a huge political issue like it is in some places. But there are still issues with college students hitting the bars and partying and spreading it (to each other and beyond) and people who just don't take it as seriously as they should--lots of transmission from travel, small get-togethers with family and friends, and workplace clusters. Sigh....It's gotten to where I can't even imagine "normal" life with kids in a classroom, real races, travel, libraries, just being able to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee at a cafe on a rainy day. I could also really use some visits to a PT and a podiatrist that I've had to postpone indefinitely because I just can't justify risking my life/health and my mom's for a sore heel or creaky elbow. But I know we have been lucky so far and it could get much, much worse.

I feel much the same way. This next 6-12 months is going to feel long. I am optimistic that by June or August of next year, we'll be in a much better position. Getting from here to there is going to take some doing. Stay safe, everyone!

New Thread
Other Resources 2020 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 116