BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-09-23 2:25 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by glfprncs Little SC/GA update: 1. The weather has been stunning! 70-low 80s and low humidity. This would've been Augusta 70.3 weekend and wetsuit legal & cool. Go figure. 2.....

Ya...the guy I am doing my homemade 70.3 with this weekend was signed up for Augusta 70.3 and is going to do it anyway. The only good that is coming out of no Augusta is that if it weren't canceled I wouldn't have been invited to do a homemade 70.3.

2020-09-23 2:28 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by glfprncs Little SC/GA update: 1. The weather has been stunning! 70-low 80s and low humidity. This would've been Augusta 70.3 weekend and wetsuit legal & cool. Go figure. 2.....

Ya...the guy I am doing my homemade 70.3 with this weekend was signed up for Augusta 70.3 and is going to do it anyway. The only good that is coming out of no Augusta is that if it weren't canceled I wouldn't have been invited to do a homemade 70.3.

It should be great! I'm looking forward to the race report

2020-09-23 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Little SC/GA update: 1. The weather has been stunning! 70-low 80s and low humidity. This would've been Augusta 70.3 weekend and wetsuit legal & cool. Go figure. 2. I've decided to sell my TT bike. I'm not quitting triathlon, but am really enjoying being off road. The bike has enough value that if I'm gonna sell, now is the time. 3. I also bought a MTB and she's BEAUTIFUL (my husband doesn't know yet--we keep separate finances for our fun money--but I'm a little nervous to tell him for some reason. He has always worried about me getting hurt cycling. Maybe I can argue that a tree at 8 mph will do less damage than a car at 18 mph). 4. Next week is week #4 of our 1st term at school. Almost 25% done. Happy to hear that things are improving on the west coast.

What kind of mtb did you get? Where are you riding it? We want storied and we need pictures

Oh, and what is the bike's name?

2020-09-23 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Janyne,

Is there a way to post pictures from a phone? I'm never on my desktop, & ive never figured out sharing to BT from mobile.

Her name is Maria (I heard Santana's "Maria, Maria" on the way to my first ride & the song stuck in my head the whole ride). Maria is a Liv Pique Advanced Pro, and she was the last one available in the US factory in my size.

We have a lovely MTB trail system here locally called FATS (Forks Area Trail System) and about 6 other places to ride.

I did crash on my maiden voyage and twisted my seat post, breaking something inside the dropper post. I had to ride 3 more miles with the saddle swiveling 30 degrees to the right. Good news is I didn't break myself.
2020-09-23 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Janyne, Is there a way to post pictures from a phone? I'm never on my desktop, & ive never figured out sharing to BT from mobile. Her name is Maria (I heard Santana's "Maria, Maria" on the way to my first ride & the song stuck in my head the whole ride). Maria is a Liv Pique Advanced Pro, and she was the last one available in the US factory in my size. We have a lovely MTB trail system here locally called FATS (Forks Area Trail System) and about 6 other places to ride. I did crash on my maiden voyage and twisted my seat post, breaking something inside the dropper post. I had to ride 3 more miles with the saddle swiveling 30 degrees to the right. Good news is I didn't break myself.

its funny how so many of us are doing gravel or mtb riding these days! I’d say we all needed a bit of a break from (H) IM training. 

Hmm, your posted your husband worries about you riding off road and then that you crashed ... Glad you weren’t injured and I hope the bike is an easy fix!

2020-09-23 7:45 PM
in reply to: #5272495

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Ann-Marie, the shop already put her back together with some extra parts they had lying around. ??

2020-09-24 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Ann-Marie, the shop already put her back together with some extra parts they had lying around. ??

I'm glad to hear the she's all fixed up.

2020-09-24 3:35 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Little SC/GA update: 1. The weather has been stunning! 70-low 80s and low humidity. This would've been Augusta 70.3 weekend and wetsuit legal & cool. Go figure. 2. I've decided to sell my TT bike. I'm not quitting triathlon, but am really enjoying being off road. The bike has enough value that if I'm gonna sell, now is the time. 3. I also bought a MTB and she's BEAUTIFUL (my husband doesn't know yet--we keep separate finances for our fun money--but I'm a little nervous to tell him for some reason. He has always worried about me getting hurt cycling. Maybe I can argue that a tree at 8 mph will do less damage than a car at 18 mph). 4. Next week is week #4 of our 1st term at school. Almost 25% done. Happy to hear that things are improving on the west coast.

Congrats on the MTB purchase!  They are fun.

Should I not tell you that I've had more stitches/wounds from MTB-ing than road riding?  The worst led to the best quote of all time: "I've got a hole in my leg and I'm not stopping until I get to the truck!"  That was me, pedaling past my husband (he was waiting at the bottom) as I finished going down the hill after crashing nastily, leg and arm fully bleeding, sock and shoe red.  I could've laid my pinky finger in the gash in my leg.  2 internal and 4 external stitches if I recall correctly.  Of course we were in the middle of nowhere, basically, and it was about an hour drive to the doctor.

2020-09-24 5:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Congrats on the MTB purchase!  They are fun.

Should I not tell you that I've had more stitches/wounds from MTB-ing than road riding?  The worst led to the best quote of all time: "I've got a hole in my leg and I'm not stopping until I get to the truck!"  That was me, pedaling past my husband (he was waiting at the bottom) as I finished going down the hill after crashing nastily, leg and arm fully bleeding, sock and shoe red.  I could've laid my pinky finger in the gash in my leg.  2 internal and 4 external stitches if I recall correctly.  Of course we were in the middle of nowhere, basically, and it was about an hour drive to the doctor.

My experience is a bit different, although I do like your story. I have a mental picture of you badly bleeding and yelling at people at the same time. I shouldn't probably mention the giggling, especially given the size of the open wound. And, just to be fair, I may have some stories that are similar that I can share if you need a good laugh. 

I would say that while I may have more potential for injury on the MTB, I haven't had any experience on the MTB that matches the sheer terror of things I have seen drivers doing in cars when they have passed me on my road bike. One of my standard routes a few years back took me on a 4 mile stretch of highway. This was previously an 8 mile stretch of highway, but I had to find a way to minimize my time on that particular stretch of road. I have never felt that close to death on my MTB or gravel bike. Also, dirt is more forgiving than asphalt. Maybe not as much as rocks so, is that a toss-up?

2020-09-25 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Have an excellent race. I can't wait for the report. I really can't. I have missed peoples race reports more than i knew.
2020-09-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Reminder:

Monday is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested.

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2020-09-25 4:41 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I will try to call in. I have my "class" at 9:30.
2020-09-26 7:21 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Another covered bridge, on today's ride. (Not my photo, but very similar weather and season at the time we rode across.) Wendling Bridge, the one from my 51st birthday ride picture, did survive the fire--the area was evacuated but flames stopped a mile or two away. Today's bridge is in the opposite direction of town, in the wine country toward the coast range.

(Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 5.02.50 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 5.02.50 PM.png (747KB - 1 downloads)
2020-09-27 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerAnother covered bridge, on today's ride. (Not my photo, but very similar weather and season at the time we rode across.) Wendling Bridge, the one from my 51st birthday ride picture, did survive the fire--the area was evacuated but flames stopped a mile or two away. Today's bridge is in the opposite direction of town, in the wine country toward the coast range.
how serene!
2020-09-28 9:01 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Another covered bridge, on today's ride. (Not my photo, but very similar weather and season at the time we rode across.) Wendling Bridge, the one from my 51st birthday ride picture, did survive the fire--the area was evacuated but flames stopped a mile or two away. Today's bridge is in the opposite direction of town, in the wine country toward the coast range.
Thanks for sharing this, I love seeing how styles of covered bridges vary depending on the part of the country.

2020-09-28 9:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Reminder:

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).  

I had hoped to dial in this time. But NO. I am spending the morning taking 2 cats to the vet. Sitting in the parking lot listening to one, then the other howl the song of their people.

2020-09-28 9:33 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by jmkizer

Reminder:

I had hoped to dial in this time. But NO. I am spending the morning taking 2 cats to the vet. Sitting in the parking lot listening to one, then the other howl the song of their people.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this :-(

2020-09-28 10:37 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Have an excellent race. I can't wait for the report. I really can't. I have missed peoples race reports more than i knew.

Preliminary race report. 

Weather =  65 at 8:30Am Race Start 85 at the finish a little over 6 hours later.  Light wind that the other guy complained about on the bike but I didn't even notice the wind at all.  Beautiful day. 

Swim = I took 3 minutes off my 1.2 mi PR.  Great swim.

Bike =  I left my GPS watch in T1 so I went back for in adding a 1/4 mile to the front of the ride.  So the first look I was riding moderaly fast to catch up with the other participant.  We did 5 loops and so I felt that switching the lead each loop would help keep each of us motivated.  So after spending all of loop one catching up I slowed down to lead loop two.  I then stocked at the water cooler stashed at the start of the loop and let the other guy pass to lead look 3.  Loop 4 I must have been going too slow because I got passed halfway around.  I stayed back and followed for the rest of loop 4 and half of loop 5.  The other guy seemed to really be slowing down. I would pedal once then coast for about 30 seconds, then I would pedal once and coast for 30 seconds.  There were some short but very steep hill and the other guy came to nearly a complete stop on the hills and I was passing him even at a coast. So I passed him and goad faster for a while I went a mile past the trun around and then slowed down on they way back so we could finish the bike leg together.  The goal for the bike Leg was a 3 hr 20 minute and we were right on target.  My watch showed a 4hr 4min total time at T2.

Run = The guy that I was working with did a 2hr 15 minute run at his last 70.3 and said that he was planning to go slower on the bike and to make up for it on the run.  So I was planning on a 2hr to 2-15 minute run. The goal was to finish the whole thing in about 6 hours so we looked like we were about where we needed to be due to the fast swim and we could subtract out our slow transitions to say we were on pace for 6 hours.   1/4 mile into the run the other guy said to run ahead and not wait for him.  So I tried to say over a 9:00 min/mi pace and when I got to our water cooler at the start of the loop I refilled the water bottles on the fuel belt and waited to take a photo on the run of the other guy.  He got there at about a 15:00 min/mile pace.  I through we had three loops on the run and so I told him I would run my loops backward so that we would see each other every lap.  I thought I knew where the loop was going but I was wrong.  I ended up running two miles into a dead end and coming back out.  I then pulled up the Garmin course and realized that it was a lager 8 miles loop then a shorter 5-mile loop and that they both end at T1/T2 and not the water cooler like the bike loops did.  So I backtracked two miles to the got on the loop going the backward direction but made the realization that instead of passing the water cooler 4 times we only passed it two times.  My fuel belt water could keep me in check for about 4 miles tops. So when I go back I did the short 5-mile loop instead of the longer 8 miles loop.  I started to cramp before I got back to the water cooler to refill my water and missed the other guy by taking the short loop.  So I just made my own course from there.  I did a two-mile out and back from the water cooler.  Hot plenty of fluid (and ice to put down my back) and then headed back to the finish at the T1/T2.  My course was a little off so I went a half-mile long on the run. I was about 1-1/2 miles from the finish when I finally passed the other guy.  He still had 5-1/2 miles to go.   He must have got lost too because after I got back was able to get more fluid and clean up a little bit I head back out with water bottles for him to pour over his head and he was about 1/2 mile from the finish but coming in the wrong way on his loop.  So...I finished with a 2:14 run time it would have been a 2:10 if I didn't go an extra 1/2 mile.  So my pacing was right on target despite running the wrong course.  The important thing was that everyone finished and everyone was safe on the course.  I would have been a lot better off on the run If I had just done 2-mile out and backs to the water cooler the whole way on the run. The water bottles on my fuel belt were not large enough for going much more than 2-mile in 85 deg F and full sun.  I forgot how much or my run plan was dependant on the aid station every mile of the run.  I depend on the ice to put down my back and ice water to put over my head and for the water/sports drink at every stop. Rationing water and no water to put over the head or ice to put down the back made a big difference on the run.  I was fine since I was taking it slow, but if I had tried to race I would have been recipe for disaster.  Overall it was a fun day. 

2020-09-28 11:03 AM
in reply to: #5272497

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Sorry I missed the call, this has been another day that is getting away from me.
2020-09-28 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Preliminary race report. 

Weather =  65 at 8:30Am Race Start 85 at the finish a little over 6 hours later.  Light wind that the other guy complained about on the bike but I didn't even notice the wind at all.  Beautiful day. 

Bike =  I left my GPS watch in T1 so I went back for in adding a 1/4 mile to the front of the ride.  So the first look I was riding moderaly fast to catch up with the other participant.  We did 5 loops and so I felt that switching the lead each loop would help keep each of us motivated.  So after spending all of loop one catching up I slowed down to lead loop two.  I then stocked at the water cooler stashed at the start of the loop and let the other guy pass to lead look 3.  Loop 4 I must have been going too slow because I got passed halfway around.  I stayed back and followed for the rest of loop 4 and half of loop 5.  The other guy seemed to really be slowing down. I would pedal once then coast for about 30 seconds, then I would pedal once and coast for 30 seconds.  There were some short but very steep hill and the other guy came to nearly a complete stop on the hills and I was passing him even at a coast. So I passed him and goad faster for a while I went a mile past the trun around and then slowed down on they way back so we could finish the bike leg together.  The goal for the bike Leg was a 3 hr 20 minute and we were right on target.  My watch showed a 4hr 4min total time at T2.

Run = The guy that I was working with did a 2hr 15 minute run at his last 70.3 and said that he was planning to go slower on the bike and to make up for it on the run.  So I was planning on a 2hr to 2-15 minute run. The goal was to finish the whole thing in about 6 hours so we looked like we were about where we needed to be due to the fast swim and we could subtract out our slow transitions to say we were on pace for 6 hours.   1/4 mile into the run the other guy said to run ahead and not wait for him.  So I tried to say over a 9:00 min/mi pace and when I got to our water cooler at the start of the loop I refilled the water bottles on the fuel belt and waited to take a photo on the run of the other guy.  He got there at about a 15:00 min/mile pace.  I through we had three loops on the run and so I told him I would run my loops backward so that we would see each other every lap.  I thought I knew where the loop was going but I was wrong.  I ended up running two miles into a dead end and coming back out.  I then pulled up the Garmin course and realized that it was a lager 8 miles loop then a shorter 5-mile loop and that they both end at T1/T2 and not the water cooler like the bike loops did.  So I backtracked two miles to the got on the loop going the backward direction but made the realization that instead of passing the water cooler 4 times we only passed it two times.  My fuel belt water could keep me in check for about 4 miles tops. So when I go back I did the short 5-mile loop instead of the longer 8 miles loop.  I started to cramp before I got back to the water cooler to refill my water and missed the other guy by taking the short loop.  So I just made my own course from there.  I did a two-mile out and back from the water cooler.  Hot plenty of fluid (and ice to put down my back) and then headed back to the finish at the T1/T2.  My course was a little off so I went a half-mile long on the run. I was about 1-1/2 miles from the finish when I finally passed the other guy.  He still had 5-1/2 miles to go.   He must have got lost too because after I got back was able to get more fluid and clean up a little bit I head back out with water bottles for him to pour over his head and he was about 1/2 mile from the finish but coming in the wrong way on his loop.  So...I finished with a 2:14 run time it would have been a 2:10 if I didn't go an extra 1/2 mile.  So my pacing was right on target despite running the wrong course.  The important thing was that everyone finished and everyone was safe on the course.  I would have been a lot better off on the run If I had just done 2-mile out and backs to the water cooler the whole way on the run. The water bottles on my fuel belt were not large enough for going much more than 2-mile in 85 deg F and full sun.  I forgot how much or my run plan was dependant on the aid station every mile of the run.  I depend on the ice to put down my back and ice water to put over my head and for the water/sports drink at every stop. Rationing water and no water to put over the head or ice to put down the back made a big difference on the run.  I was fine since I was taking it slow, but if I had tried to race I would have been recipe for disaster.  Overall it was a fun day. 

It sounds like you had fun!  Congratulations! That's a lot of mental toughness getting it done without a "race."

2020-09-28 1:46 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66 Sorry I missed the call, this has been another day that is getting away from me.

We missed you!

Thanks for catching up with me on Geneva ;-)

2020-09-28 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Preliminary race report. 

Good job and good times. Esp. With getting lost. That is great info on the reliance on aid stations.
2020-09-30 12:40 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Good job and good times. Esp. With getting lost. That is great info on the reliance on aid stations.

When...I get lost in Live races it affects my race time.  In virtual races, you stop when you hit the distance and none cares what course you took to get the distance.  :-)  This also may be why I got Swim PR.  I have had some races where I swim way off course and that cost time.  The GPS data for the swim actually looked like really straight lines for this swim, but the odometer came up to 1.22 miles.  I don't normally swim with the GPS so that I don't have to monkey with it in T1 to mount it on the bike, but I am guessing that all of my live 70.3 came up with more than 1.22 miles on the swim.  Looking a the run data gave me a laugh.  Most of my training runs have a target of 7:03-7:09 min/mi pace.  I noticed that even though I was trying to run at 9:00 min/mi pace or slower than.  I would show about 3-4 minutes right at 7:03-7:09 then there would be some walking (to get me back to over 9:00 min/mi then there would be another 3-4 minutes at 7:03-7:09 pace.  I was dialed into an 8:00 min/mi pace before I did the 8:00 min/mi pace group for the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K in February but didn't pacer for the 9:00 min/mi pacer job and it showed.

2020-09-30 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

When...I get lost in Live races it affects my race time.  In virtual races, you stop when you hit the distance and none cares what course you took to get the distance.  :-)  This also may be why I got Swim PR.  I have had some races where I swim way off course and that cost time.  The GPS data for the swim actually looked like really straight lines for this swim, but the odometer came up to 1.22 miles.  I don't normally swim with the GPS so that I don't have to monkey with it in T1 to mount it on the bike, but I am guessing that all of my live 70.3 came up with more than 1.22 miles on the swim.  Looking a the run data gave me a laugh.  Most of my training runs have a target of 7:03-7:09 min/mi pace.  I noticed that even though I was trying to run at 9:00 min/mi pace or slower than.  I would show about 3-4 minutes right at 7:03-7:09 then there would be some walking (to get me back to over 9:00 min/mi then there would be another 3-4 minutes at 7:03-7:09 pace.  I was dialed into an 8:00 min/mi pace before I did the 8:00 min/mi pace group for the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K in February but didn't pacer for the 9:00 min/mi pacer job and it showed.

Good point on getting lost being relative when you make up the course.  

2020-09-30 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Janyne, Is there a way to post pictures from a phone? I'm never on my desktop, & ive never figured out sharing to BT from mobile. Her name is Maria (I heard Santana's "Maria, Maria" on the way to my first ride & the song stuck in my head the whole ride). Maria is a Liv Pique Advanced Pro, and she was the last one available in the US factory in my size. We have a lovely MTB trail system here locally called FATS (Forks Area Trail System) and about 6 other places to ride. I did crash on my maiden voyage and twisted my seat post, breaking something inside the dropper post. I had to ride 3 more miles with the saddle swiveling 30 degrees to the right. Good news is I didn't break myself.

What's the scoop on the bike situation? TT bike gone? Husband in the know?  Is Maria doing a better job of keeping the rubber side down?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127