BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-11-24 8:48 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

What are everyone's thoughts on the off-season? 

I also want to know what your thoughts are on doing early season races (like the end of February) if no structured training is done until Christmas Break.  :-)

I'm a fan of an "off season" but in the sense that you just do whatever sounds fun - without worry about time, distance or volume. I'm also a fan of focusing on either a weakness or focusing on an early season race. I've registered for a Feb. 28 marathon so after the last couple of months of just doing fun stuff (and moving and unpacking!), I've put myself back on a structured run-focused plan to get me to the marathon. 

There is a Trail Run less than an hour from me, the end of February, that I can get a paid entry to through a community running program that I have been participating in for the past six years.  The ultra options are 50-mile, 100-mile, and 130-mile and the short options are 5K, 10K, half Marathon, Marathon.  I was considering doing the Marathon option, but might be better off to do the half marathon or just go as a pacer for people doing the 100-mile and 130-mile options like I did last year.  This year my first scheduled Triathlon was in June.  I am not used to having to worry about early season races when I go into the off-season. 

2020-11-24 10:44 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk 

my coach used to make me take a whole week off at the beginning of December - drove me crazy - with GUILT! LOL I used to sneak out on the weekends and do something fun though. I don't currently have a coach so every week is a down week! YAY! LOL

Ya...I have been feeling like every week is a down week too.  I am only doing 5-6 hours a week and with a coach I would be doing about twice that.  I don't know if I am taking too much time off or if I am just being driven crazy with guilt wanting to sneak out and do something fun.

2020 has been pretty much a down year for me bc of injury, but most years I back off a bit some Time in late fall. I keep running, but keep distances short and runs easy. I do bike stuff when I feel like it and I completely forget about swimming  The 2 years I did a fall IM, I took about 2 weeks completely off and another 2 of really easy running. Before this year I’d say I don’t like doing nothing for very long, but now I find it hard to get back into doing anything . I guess that rule of physics about a body at rest etc is true!

2020-11-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

my coach used to make me take a whole week off at the beginning of December - drove me crazy - with GUILT! LOL I used to sneak out on the weekends and do something fun though. I don't currently have a coach so every week is a down week! YAY! LOL

Ya...I have been feeling like every week is a down week too.  I am only doing 5-6 hours a week and with a coach I would be doing about twice that.  I don't know if I am taking too much time off or if I am just being driven crazy with guilt wanting to sneak out and do something fun.

2020 has been pretty much a down year for me bc of injury, but most years I back off a bit some Time in late fall. I keep running, but keep distances short and runs easy. I do bike stuff when I feel like it and I completely forget about swimming  The 2 years I did a fall IM, I took about 2 weeks completely off and another 2 of really easy running. Before this year I’d say I don’t like doing nothing for very long, but now I find it hard to get back into doing anything . I guess that rule of physics about a body at rest etc is true!

Ann-Marie, have you gotten that cool new gravel bike of yours out on the Lake Apopka loop yet?

I do have an "event" going on this weekend. A few of us are getting together to do a gravel version of a track elimination race. It will be around a pond in the unlit, semi-paved parking lot of a local park, held after dark. Last across the line is out each lap. Two heats, highest score takes the prize. Buy in is 3 cans of beverage of your choice. You get one back each time you are eliminated. Winner gets the remaining cans. We should be under the current 10 person gathering suggestions. My plan is to use the gravel bike, although some are using their 29r hardtails for better traction.  My tactic is to get out front early on the first lap to avoid being first out. After that, I really don't care. It should be fun. Silly, yes. Stupid, yes. But fun.

2020-11-24 3:59 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Ann-Marie, have you gotten that cool new gravel bike of yours out on the Lake Apopka loop yet?

I do have an "event" going on this weekend. A few of us are getting together to do a gravel version of a track elimination race. It will be around a pond in the unlit, semi-paved parking lot of a local park, held after dark. Last across the line is out each lap. Two heats, highest score takes the prize. Buy in is 3 cans of beverage of your choice. You get one back each time you are eliminated. Winner gets the remaining cans. We should be under the current 10 person gathering suggestions. My plan is to use the gravel bike, although some are using their 29r hardtails for better traction.  My tactic is to get out front early on the first lap to avoid being first out. After that, I really don't care. It should be fun. Silly, yes. Stupid, yes. But fun.

oh yeah, I've had the gravel bike on the Lake Apopka Loop lots of times.  I need to find more places to ride though. I found a nice trail in the Smokey Mountains to ride, but its a little bit of a drive to get there

Your event sounds like fun! Your plan also sounds very similar to my brother's high school cross country race plan. He and a buddy would line up in front and run like hell to get the lead, get in the race photo and then take their rightful place mid-pack! 

2020-11-25 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds fun.  The gravel bike should have an advantage on the paved sections ;-)

2020-11-25 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

oh yeah, I've had the gravel bike on the Lake Apopka Loop lots of times.  I need to find more places to ride though. I found a nice trail in the Smokey Mountains to ride, but its a little bit of a drive to get there

Your event sounds like fun! Your plan also sounds very similar to my brother's high school cross country race plan. He and a buddy would line up in front and run like hell to get the lead, get in the race photo and then take their rightful place mid-pack! 

Haha!  I have a similar problem. After gravel riding in the mountains, the local gravel just doesn't compare.  My current favorite is in the NC Arboretum area.  I can't believe that Robin was out on me!  Bad Robin! Bad!

2020-11-25 10:02 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Monday the is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested.

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2020-11-25 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

I should be available this month, waiting to hear some holiday stories. Since racing is mostly suspended, is anyone doing any type of Turkey Trot this year. I'm hoping to hear that a virtual Sticks and Biscuits will happen this year simply because it may be my favorite event name.

2020-11-25 8:36 PM

User image

Expert

---

I have a light court day, so there is a pretty good chance I can make it.
2020-11-25 10:28 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My "class" starts at that time, sadly. But I can make it to next month's since it'll be winter break!
2020-11-26 6:31 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

---

sorry I missed it. I was driving all day.back from Fla.

2020-11-26 6:31 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Haha!  I have a similar problem. After gravel riding in the mountains, the local gravel just doesn't compare.  My current favorite is in the NC Arboretum area.  I can't believe that Robin was out on me!  Bad Robin! Bad!

sorry. I hang my head in shame.
2020-11-26 8:20 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

---

you haven't missed it yet! 

2020-11-26 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

---

ha! I thougjt it was last Monday. Silly me. I have a doctors appt, dammit!
2020-11-26 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

---

ha! I thougjt it was last Monday. Silly me. I have a doctors appt, dammit!
2020-11-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Melon Presser

Me and the girls Olive (pretty poser) and Lilith (monster eyes as befit her name) wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (U.S.)

(IMG_20201126_173522.jpg)

(IMG_20201126_173324.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20201126_173522.jpg (465KB - 8 downloads)
IMG_20201126_173324.jpg (414KB - 9 downloads)

2020-11-26 11:32 AM
in reply to: #5264887

Happy Thanksgiving Manatees!!!
2020-11-26 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

---

I should be available this month, waiting to hear some holiday stories. Since racing is mostly suspended, is anyone doing any type of Turkey Trot this year. I'm hoping to hear that a virtual Sticks and Biscuits will happen this year simply because it may be my favorite event name.

Great!  I'm looking forward to it!

2020-11-26 6:00 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Happy Thanksgiving Manatees!!!

Happy Thanksgiving! I've been especially thankful for the Manatees all year! 

2020-11-26 6:01 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Me and the girls Olive (pretty poser) and Lilith (monster eyes as befit her name) wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (U.S.)

Lilith is a looker! Her human isn't half bad either! 

2020-11-26 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Tomoko says hi to Lilith. Here she is exploring my treadmill and swim cords.

(IMG_20201125_194933867.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20201125_194933867.jpg (1045KB - 8 downloads)

2020-11-27 9:38 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Tomoko says hi to Lilith. Here she is exploring my treadmill and swim cords.

Coach Tomoko!!! :-D

2020-11-27 9:39 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Lilith is a looker! Her human isn't half bad either! 

D'awwwww ... I'm still envious of you being married with one dog though

2020-11-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner Tomoko says hi to Lilith. Here she is exploring my treadmill and swim cords.

Swiiiiim cords ... the mark of every well-sustained or well-improved swimmer.

2020-11-27 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh.....It would be easier to sustain/improve if I had consistent access to a pool. Still at 55 hours for the year. In theory outdoor pools can re-open next week but have not heard yet from the only available local pool. Absolutely pathetic!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127