BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-11-20 9:49 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner Having lived most of my adult life in dictatorships, I have to admit I can really, truly see how this this could happen here in the near future. And not one of those semi-enlightened dictatorships where at least the leadership is informed by some competent people in matters of economics, public health, etc. More a banana republic like Venezuela, Zimbabwe or the Philippines under Marcos. I just pray this is all a bunch of really, really bad political theater that some people are mistaking for reality.

Well, the fact that someone was not re-elected is actually a Hugo Chavez plot! Never mind the fact that he is dead...

i see dead people!

2020-11-20 8:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
The Michigan congressmembers who went to the audience with the president released a statement. First that they delivered a strongly worded letter stating we need Federal assistance to fight COVID-19 and Second that they told him that they intend to certify the election. They did not state what the President said to them regarding the subject.
There is no legal way for the legislature to overturn the results of the election.
I agree that some of the stuff he has pulled is some serious dictator $hit! Too many examples to list. It is concerning that the two republican canvassers tried to change their vote after the fact. His last lawsuit in Michigan was dismissed today.
One the COVID brings families together on the holidays front. We decided our daughter in Chicago needs to stay in Chicago until her Christmas break. The surge both here and there make it too dangerous for her to fly home.
I need to buy a bike soon, so we can talk about that.
2020-11-20 8:35 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I just spent almost $300 overhauling my road bike (that I bought secondhand for $850 several years ago!) so no plans to replace soon. And Andreas the tri bike has not been ridden outside in 2 years, so he's in pretty good shape. Hoping I can ride at least once before the weather and/or Covid make that impossible, or at least really uncomfortable. Oregon winter tends to have two settings--a little cold and extremely wet (usually) or dry, sunny, and really cold (occasionally). Neither of those are awesome for outdoor biking, especially when they alternate quickly. (Yesterday's warm rain often becomes this morning's black ice.) I live on top of an enormous hill so getting down in the morning can be interesting!
2020-11-21 3:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JBacarellaThe Michigan congressmembers who went to the audience with the president released a statement. First that they delivered a strongly worded letter stating we need Federal assistance to fight COVID-19 and Second that they told him that they intend to certify the election. They did not state what the President said to them regarding the subject. There is no legal way for the legislature to overturn the results of the election. I agree that some of the stuff he has pulled is some serious dictator $hit! Too many examples to list. It is concerning that the two republican canvassers tried to change their vote after the fact. His last lawsuit in Michigan was dismissed today.One the COVID brings families together on the holidays front. We decided our daughter in Chicago needs to stay in Chicago until her Christmas break. The surge both here and there make it too dangerous for her to fly home.I need to buy a bike soon, so we can talk about that.
Glad the Congress members acted responsibly!I saw an article in Slowtwitch that now is the time to buy a tri bike. Great deals for various reasons mainly covid related. So if that’s the kind of bike you need, you’re in luck!
2020-11-21 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
After a fall of riding the hills in Oregon again, I'm beginning to regret getting rid of the Blue Bomber, my old hybrid with a triple cassette. Bomber could make it up inclines so steep my butt started to slide off the back of the seat. His handlebars got knocked out of joint during a move, and I decided to donate him to an organization that fixes up used bikes and gives them to foster kids, after a specific request for a teenager who bike commutes to/from school in a hilly neighborhood. I keep running out of gears with Rover the Road bike. I have made it up everything so far but there are a few steeper ones that I really have my doubts about! Maybe a hybrid touring bike at some point in my future. But not till travel looks more promising.
2020-11-22 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarellaThe Michigan congressmembers who went to the audience with the president released a statement. First that they delivered a strongly worded letter stating we need Federal assistance to fight COVID-19 and Second that they told him that they intend to certify the election. They did not state what the President said to them regarding the subject. There is no legal way for the legislature to overturn the results of the election. I agree that some of the stuff he has pulled is some serious dictator $hit! Too many examples to list. It is concerning that the two republican canvassers tried to change their vote after the fact. His last lawsuit in Michigan was dismissed today.One the COVID brings families together on the holidays front. We decided our daughter in Chicago needs to stay in Chicago until her Christmas break. The surge both here and there make it too dangerous for her to fly home.I need to buy a bike soon, so we can talk about that.
Glad the Congress members acted responsibly!I saw an article in Slowtwitch that now is the time to buy a tri bike. Great deals for various reasons mainly covid related. So if that’s the kind of bike you need, you’re in luck!

I am looking at buying a Tri bike. I am going to buy my first new bike since I was 13. Daughter #2 will probably take my current bike. She has raced some triathlons with me. Primarily sprints and a couple of Oly. She wants to do a IM after med school. The area of Chicago she lives in is very bike friendly and has a couple of converted rail trails. My bike is probably a little tall for me, so it should fit her well. At 5'11" she is 2" taller than me.

2020-11-23 1:17 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

What are everyone's thoughts on the off-season?  I typically take a full month away from structured training after my last race before starting into any type of winter maintenance, winter focus, or pre-season type training. 

Following my last race 9 days ago I have only been out for a workout twice.  The first time I took my wife's 6-month-old short-legged puppy for a jog.  The pump slowed me down about a min/mi (which is a good thing) and I got some many of our neighbors cooing over her that instead of a 30-minute jog we got more of a 15-minute jog and a 15 minute stop and talk to the neighbors who were out (also probably a good thing for a non-structured work out day). 

The other time out I did an hour run at an easy recovery pace.

I have heard others swear by the one month away from training as being a key to their success but I am wondering what others' thoughts are on that approach. 

I also want to know what your thoughts are on doing early season races (like the end of February) if no structured training is done until Christmas Break.  :-)

2020-11-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner After a fall of riding the hills in Oregon again, I'm beginning to regret getting rid of the Blue Bomber, my old hybrid with a triple cassette. Bomber could make it up inclines so steep my butt started to slide off the back of the seat. His handlebars got knocked out of joint during a move, and I decided to donate him to an organization that fixes up used bikes and gives them to foster kids, after a specific request for a teenager who bike commutes to/from school in a hilly neighborhood. I keep running out of gears with Rover the Road bike. I have made it up everything so far but there are a few steeper ones that I really have my doubts about! Maybe a hybrid touring bike at some point in my future. But not till travel looks more promising.

At least you know that the correct number of bikes is n+1!

2020-11-23 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella
I am looking at buying a Tri bike. I am going to buy my first new bike since I was 13. Daughter #2 will probably take my current bike. She has raced some triathlons with me. Primarily sprints and a couple of Oly. She wants to do a IM after med school. The area of Chicago she lives in is very bike friendly and has a couple of converted rail trails. My bike is probably a little tall for me, so it should fit her well. At 5'11" she is 2" taller than me.

Nice! That sounds like a win-win! I'm sure that you'll be able to find something nice.

2020-11-23 1:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

What are everyone's thoughts on the off-season?  I typically take a full month away from structured training after my last race before starting into any type of winter maintenance, winter focus, or pre-season type training. 

Following my last race 9 days ago I have only been out for a workout twice.  The first time I took my wife's 6-month-old short-legged puppy for a jog.  The pump slowed me down about a min/mi (which is a good thing) and I got some many of our neighbors cooing over her that instead of a 30-minute jog we got more of a 15-minute jog and a 15 minute stop and talk to the neighbors who were out (also probably a good thing for a non-structured work out day). 

I have heard others swear by the one month away from training as being a key to their success but I am wondering what others' thoughts are on that approach. 

I also want to know what your thoughts are on doing early season races (like the end of February) if no structured training is done until Christmas Break.  :-)

Yes, I think that taking a break or at least dialing things back is a good thing.  I know some people who even change Strava to "private" during that time so they don't feel tempted or pressured.

Regarding doing a race at the end of February with maybe seven weeks of structured training beforehand, that depends on if the race is an A race and how you see it fitting into your season.

2020-11-23 1:54 PM

I've been putting most of my activities into Strava. Is there a way to sync Strava data over to BT workout calendar/log?

2020-11-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri I've been putting most of my activities into Strava. Is there a way to sync Strava data over to BT workout calendar/log?

There is a free, third party tool that you can use. It's not super intuitive but it works pretty well once it's set up.

https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/

Edited by jmkizer 2020-11-23 2:00 PM
2020-11-23 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by alaskatri I've been putting most of my activities into Strava. Is there a way to sync Strava data over to BT workout calendar/log?

There is a free, third party tool that you can use. It's not super intuitive but it works pretty well once it's set up.

It can take up to a day for the sync to happen from Strava > BT

2020-11-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Originally posted by cdban66

Great, thanks. Installed and "synced' although not transferred yet. I'll check it tomorrow.
2020-11-23 2:11 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Great, thanks. Installed and "synced' although not transferred yet. I'll check it tomorrow.

The first sync takes a while because it's going through ALL your Strava stuff.  I've been using it for a year or so now and my workouts are transferred relatively quickly.

2020-11-23 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's almost always within the hour and usually more like 5-15 minutes.  It seems that once a week or so I need to prod it but overall, I'm happy with it now.

2020-11-23 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's almost always within the hour and usually more like 5-15 minutes.  It seems that once a week or so I need to prod it but overall, I'm happy with it now.

Are you paying for it? Or did you go with the free option?

2020-11-23 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Are you paying for it? Or did you go with the free option?

Free. 

2020-11-23 3:16 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Yes, I think that taking a break or at least dialing things back is a good thing.  I know some people who even change Strava to "private" during that time so they don't feel tempted or pressured.

Regarding doing a race at the end of February with maybe seven weeks of structured training beforehand, that depends on if the race is an A race and how you see it fitting into your season.

my coach used to make me take a whole week off at the beginning of December - drove me crazy - with GUILT! LOL I used to sneak out on the weekends and do something fun though.

I don't currently have a coach so every week is a down week! YAY! LOL

2020-11-23 3:52 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What are everyone's thoughts on the off-season? 

I'm a fan of an "off season" but in the sense that you just do whatever sounds fun - without worry about time, distance or volume. I'm also a fan of focusing on either a weakness or focusing on an early season race. I've registered for a Feb. 28 marathon so after the last couple of months of just doing fun stuff (and moving and unpacking!), I've put myself back on a structured run-focused plan to get me to the marathon. 

2020-11-23 3:59 PM

IT WORKED!!!! Woohoo. Although maybe it went quick because I didn't have a ton of stuff to put in. :-( I've been getting things back on track recently though, so hoping to fill the calendar.

2020-11-23 4:52 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk 

my coach used to make me take a whole week off at the beginning of December - drove me crazy - with GUILT! LOL I used to sneak out on the weekends and do something fun though. I don't currently have a coach so every week is a down week! YAY! LOL

Ya...I have been feeling like every week is a down week too.  I am only doing 5-6 hours a week and with a coach I would be doing about twice that.  I don't know if I am taking too much time off or if I am just being driven crazy with guilt wanting to sneak out and do something fun.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-11-24 8:49 AM
2020-11-23 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, this off-season is different than most.....

I stopped regular coaching at the end of August and don't plan on getting back to it until at least January. No plans for spring races and I think there is little likelihood they will take place anyway until vaccines are widespread. (Plus it's just too cold locally, and I don't want to travel until I have reasonable assurance that I/Mom are protected from Covid.) The only races I have planned for next year are in August and September, so I think I can take my time building fitness.

If things are going well, will probably start doing some bike-focused work in January and then work on building up run strength later in spring. My mileage has been limited by PF since April and I really, really need to see a podiatrist and probably a massage therapist. (Quite sure the root cause is tight calves--running uphills alleviates it.) Not sure what is going on with swimming--no pool right now and no idea how long that will last!

Normally I take a few weeks off a year from any real "training" but I do run (no long runs or speedwork) or hike if I feel in the mood, or just do goofy stuff at the pool. I also usually take 1-2 months a year off coaching. I just like doing my own thing for a while in off-season.
2020-11-23 9:15 PM

User image

Expert
I normally slow down in the fall too. After the Holiday break, I pick it back up and include a lot more strength training. I also hunt a bit this time of year, so I spend more time in the woods. Also, with all of the family and friend obligations this time of year, I let a lot slide. I try to get in enough work, so it doesn't hurt when things pick up in January.
2020-11-24 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Continuing the Tri Bike Talk a bit:

Slowtwitch has a nice article on QR - https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Quintana_Roo/QR_s_PRfive_Disc_Easy_to_Buy_and_Easy_to_Live_With_7827.html

I guess it's more of an overview that a review.  I think Nancy has a QR?

I should also have included a link to this article: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/It_s_a_Buyer_s_Market._For_Now._...

Edited by jmkizer 2020-11-24 8:42 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127