BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-10 5:49 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Stopped by BT looking for something and had to peek in on the Mentor groups (been a hot minute). Lo and behold y'all are still going strong, and I'm super happy to see that and lots of familiar faces!

So, consider this a proof of life post.   Been a while since I raced and am now 4 weeks out from a very needed but major shoulder repair (left one this time).  Out of the sling in a couple more weeks, then only another 8 or 9 months to get back to (hopefully) normal.  It worked for the other side about a decade ago, so I'm hopeful (I'm not any older now, so I'll heal the same, right?!?).  I don't plan on racing this year - at least tri's... might do a few running races once I'm cleared back in hot though.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey - so, HEY!

(carry on)

Best,

Matt

2020-02-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Honest to Pete, I've been reading through this thread and haven't missed tri this much in a long time!  

Ah, Manatees...  

Y'all rock.

NOW my proof of life posting is done. 

M

2020-02-10 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Stopped by BT looking for something and had to peek in on the Mentor groups (been a hot minute). Lo and behold y'all are still going strong, and I'm super happy to see that and lots of familiar faces!

So, consider this a proof of life post.   Been a while since I raced and am now 4 weeks out from a very needed but major shoulder repair (left one this time).  Out of the sling in a couple more weeks, then only another 8 or 9 months to get back to (hopefully) normal.  It worked for the other side about a decade ago, so I'm hopeful (I'm not any older now, so I'll heal the same, right?!?).  I don't plan on racing this year - at least tri's... might do a few running races once I'm cleared back in hot though.

(carry on)

Best,

Matt

Thanks for checking in! It's great to hear from you.  I'm sorry to hear about the shoulder repair. I'm glad that you're getting it taken care of but I don't envy the PT.  I hope that you'll check in with us more regularly in the future!

2020-02-10 7:22 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Ok fellow Manatees, I've got a question for you! 

For those of you who bike on a trainer, is there any way to track the time and "distance"? I know the smartphone apps use GPS (Strava, etc.) Is there where I should invest in a rear wheel sensor bike computer? 

I use a Garmin speed and cadence sensor to track on the trainer. They are about $60 on Amazon. Easy to use.

I had a Wahoo speed sensor and cadence sensor. Pretty similar to Garmin and Cateye I think. I knew I eventually wanted the Wahoo smart trainer, and a good friend of mine is a big Wahoo fan so she talked me into the Wahoo items. All will do the trick though.
2020-02-10 9:02 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Expert

For those of you who bike on a trainer, is there any way to track the time and "distance"? I know the smartphone apps use GPS (Strava, etc.) Is there where I should invest in a rear wheel sensor bike computer? 

These are the options I've used and currently used which is also cheapest to most expensive.
(PSA this sport is a jealous mistress, you can never spend enough time or money to make it happy)

Walmart I think it might have been a bell brand, speed and cadence senor with the magnet set on the back wheel. Under $20.00

Wahoo speed and cadence sensor connected to phone app and down loaded to strava.

Garmin speed and cadence with a Garmin 520 bike computer. Talks to my watch and my phone.
2020-02-10 9:51 PM

User image

Master

(carry on)

Best,

Matt

Nice to see you Matt!  And I seem to remember the last shoulder you had done, you were swimming faster one armed than I do with both arms?  Wasn't that you? 

2020-02-10 9:57 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
To be fair, I have a distance swimming background that long pre-dates my getting into tri (swam competitively from 10 to 16; I think I had our school record for the 1500/1650 yd, mainly because we swam it so rarely and I was one of only a few who were willing to do it!) Prior to getting injured, swimming 3-4K was no big deal. (As a teenager, 5K workouts were pretty normal, I swam 10K straight every year as part of a team fundraiser.) Have never been fast enough to be competitive as a pure swimmer, but I can keep going at a medium pace (about 1:30/100m as a teen, 1:45-1:50 as a triathlete) for a long time. I thought my IM swim was really fun! Warm water, no need to push beyond aerobic pace; no big people swimming over me. Probably most triathletes would think I'm nuts. It's always the bike that scares me!

So by my standards....I am now horribly out of shape. Elbow feels fine, but all swimming muscles are tired/sore after 1800 yards (2000 today; think I will stay at that for a while), and even 250 yards without the fins seems like a long way. And if anyone's looking at my log and thinking those times are fast, about 50% of that yardage is with fins and all is with Sim shorts. Never considered wanting or needing the latter until this injury. So now I'm in the same state as what seems like 90% of triathletes--addicted to my pool toys and trying not to drown without them. Arrrgh!
2020-02-11 7:25 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by fortissimo

I use a Garmin speed and cadence sensor to track on the trainer. They are about $60 on Amazon. Easy to use.
I had a Wahoo speed sensor and cadence sensor. Pretty similar to Garmin and Cateye I think. I knew I eventually wanted the Wahoo smart trainer, and a good friend of mine is a big Wahoo fan so she talked me into the Wahoo items. All will do the trick though.

The reviews that I've read say get Wahoo or Garmin (for integration purposes), pick whatever is cheaper.  I'd get something that supports both ANT+ and Bluetooth to future proof it a bit. In fact, in my household, we have a mix of brands.

Installation is a breeze, both use what are basically fancy rubber bands.

Right now, I see the Wahoo speed and cadence for $70 on Amazon

Garmin Speed2/Cadence2 pair is $60 on Amazon << this is the version that does bluetooth and ANT+ both

One other point about these sensors is that they are also good for outdoor riding. Kevin finds that the speed sensor is more accurate than GPS when he is mountain biking.  I believe that you'll need to set your wheel size.  Last time Kevin changed the battery in his speed sensor, he had to turn on his watch and ride around the neighborhood a few times for his watch to calibrate it.  I imagine that you'll have to know your wheel circumference to set this in other applications?

In any case, either sensor should work fine with the (free) Wahoo Fitness app to record sessions inside and send to Strava

2020-02-11 7:28 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

These are the options I've used and currently used which is also cheapest to most expensive. (PSA this sport is a jealous mistress, you can never spend enough time or money to make it happy) Walmart I think it might have been a bell brand, speed and cadence senor with the magnet set on the back wheel. Under $20.00 Wahoo speed and cadence sensor connected to phone app and down loaded to strava. Garmin speed and cadence with a Garmin 520 bike computer. Talks to my watch and my phone.

hahaha! Yes, this sport certainly is a jealous mistress!

My thought is that since Mike uses his smartphone as his bike computer at the moment, that sensors that can work with that would be a good start. 

2020-02-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I've been watching the Volume graphs on my log.  They look fairly consistent.  So I decided to look back at the actual hours I've logged over the last six weeks.  They were not quite equal, but pretty consistent and close to each other.  I'm thinking that is a good thing for my overall plan.

I remember reading somewhere (years ago) it is impossible to win a triathlon in the swim.  Okay.  I suppose I can see that, most triathletes come from one of those other two disciplines.  That doesn't mean that I am going to ease up on my swim hours though.  I may not be able to WIN a race in the swim, but I am sure as heck not going to LOSE one in the swim either.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-11 10:31 AM
2020-02-11 10:40 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by IronOx

Nice to see you Matt!  And I seem to remember the last shoulder you had done, you were swimming faster one armed than I do with both arms?  Wasn't that you? 

I wish I were that good a swimmer!  

Although I was swimming faster with both once it healed - way better reach.  Hoping for something similar this time.  Well, it's almost assured that I'll be faster, as I haven't been able to swim at all for 9 or 10 months.

At my **cough** somewhat **cough** advanced - or at least advancing - age, I'm mostly concerned that I'll be able to get full function back, but I'd be in high cotton if I could even match my previous speed.  We'll see...

2020-02-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner To be fair, I have a distance swimming background that long pre-dates my getting into tri (swam competitively from 10 to 16; I think I had our school record for the 1500/1650 yd, mainly because we swam it so rarely and I was one of only a few who were willing to do it!)  So now I'm in the same state as what seems like 90% of triathletes--addicted to my pool toys and trying not to drown without them. Arrrgh!

With your background, I imagine it will come back fairly quickly though (at least once you start building volume - which sounds like you're there). Your form won't leave you - and that puts you miles ahead of us "adult onset" folks.  

Wondering though, as a "real" swimmer, have you found the toys (the shorts in particular) helpful as more than a bridge back to the volume?  As in helping with form or the like?

2020-02-11 11:00 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thank you for everyone's input! It is so great to have a group of people who are crazy to do what I want to do. :D 

Originally posted by jmkizer

The reviews that I've read say get Wahoo or Garmin (for integration purposes), pick whatever is cheaper.  I'd get something that supports both ANT+ and Bluetooth to future proof it a bit. In fact, in my household, we have a mix of brands.

Installation is a breeze, both use what are basically fancy rubber bands.

Right now, I see the Wahoo speed and cadence for $70 on Amazon

Garmin Speed2/Cadence2 pair is $60 on Amazon << this is the version that does bluetooth and ANT+ both

I read the comment on the Garmin sensors and it seems like the cadence sensor only works on Garmin devices. The speed sensor works on a lot of different apps and devices, but cadence only on Garmin watches and bike computers. Any one out use these Garmin sensors with an app (Android is preferred). 

2020-02-11 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was just checking in with the Pod and I'm going to call out TOM and ask him to report back on his bike trainer experience.

2020-02-11 3:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Whoa - so much to catch up on (although not as much as Matt - HI)

We just got back from a week in CO skiing and today I'm sitting at my desk like a vegetable. It also doesn't help that we just got a new mattress that I LOVE and would give anything to be in it right now

Looks like everyone is getting their training done in this dreary season. Keep up the good work all!
2020-02-11 4:21 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Now I'm in the HOT seat!! Tonight is my first session on the trainer. I know there are going to be some adjustments I will have to make, be it clothing, bike, or trainer. I've got realistic expectations but I am excited! 

Tom

2020-02-11 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner To be fair, I have a distance swimming background that long pre-dates my getting into tri (swam competitively from 10 to 16; I think I had our school record for the 1500/1650 yd, mainly because we swam it so rarely and I was one of only a few who were willing to do it!)  So now I'm in the same state as what seems like 90% of triathletes--addicted to my pool toys and trying not to drown without them. Arrrgh!

With your background, I imagine it will come back fairly quickly though (at least once you start building volume - which sounds like you're there). Your form won't leave you - and that puts you miles ahead of us "adult onset" folks.  

Wondering though, as a "real" swimmer, have you found the toys (the shorts in particular) helpful as more than a bridge back to the volume?  As in helping with form or the like?

Hmmm.....Well, in small doses, yes. I'd never used Sim shorts prior to this injury (they were suggested by my coach as a way for me to get in more volume with better form and less pain) and only worn a wetsuit to keep warm! Fins--I use them for some kicking drills (though less for swim purposes but to improve ankle flexibility and prevent achilles issues) and also when I was working on drills for bilateral breathing (which I never learned as a youth swimmer). Pull buoy--Yes. "Real" swimmers use them in limited doses to focus on pull technique and build strength. Paddles--same as above. But the majority of each workout would always be swimming, different strokes, without toys. Even as a triathlete I generally include other strokes, since I like the variety and feel like it somehow balances out my freestyle. Literally I could feel my freestyle form became better yesterday after just doing 25 yards of breaststroke. I can't explain how...it just feels more efficient. All the other strokes had been too painful to contemplate until I got the metalwork out, so just started doing them this week!

I'm not sure I qualify as a "real" swimmer--I was never really fast enough as a kid or teen to be competitive beyond the level of scoring points in a dual meet (in the 200 or 500 free or the fly) or sometimes in a bigger invitational in the1500. Swimming long comes easily to me (when healthy and fit), swimming fast, not so much. It's why I like the IM swim so much!
2020-02-11 10:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

First ride on the trainer is a success. Kinda. Let me explain. 

I was able to get about 30 minutes of riding in this evening. Nothing crazy, as I wanted this ride to be about getting everything figured out. At the end of the ride, I had made a few observations. 

• I need new bib shorts, as the ones I have are about 2-3 sizes too big. I guess that means a purchase to Aerotech Designs is forthcoming on next payday. 
  • I really need to do some fitting with me and the bike. I just don't feel quite right yet, like a little cramped. 
  • My hands were starting to get numb, so I'm placing too much weight on them. I am going to do some research on how to alleviate that pressure. 
  • I had my wife take this photo. I think the knee angle is ok, but I suspect the seat needs to be slid back, as the knee looks too far forward in relationship to the pedal.

Bike fit (along with clothing, cars, etc.) is always an area that I have to address. At 6'2", I'm "tall" but I have a LONG torso and short legs. That means that my bike fit isn't going to come straight from the factory. :| 

I know Janyne was eager to hear how it went, so here is my first bike on the trainer!

Tom

Edited by UberClydesdale 2020-02-12 2:07 PM
2020-02-12 6:40 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was able to get about 30 minutes of riding in this evening. Nothing crazy, as I wanted this ride to be about getting everything figured out. At the end of the ride, I had made a few observations. 

• I need new bib shorts, as the ones I have are about 2-3 sizes too big. I guess that means a purchase to Aerotech Designs is forthcoming on next payday. 
  • I really need to do some fitting with me and the bike. I just don't feel quite right yet, like a little cramped. 
  • My hands were starting to get numb, so I'm placing too much weight on them. I am going to do some research on how to alleviate that pressure. 
  • I had my wife take this photo. I think the knee angle is ok, but I suspect the seat needs to be slid back, as the knee looks too far forward in relationship to the pedal. 

Bike fit (along with clothing, cars, etc.) is always an area that I have to address. At 6'2", I'm "tall" but I have a LONG torso and short legs. That means that my bike fit isn't going to come straight from the factory. :| 

I know Janyne was eager to hear how it went, so here is my first bike on the trainer!

Tom

It was really smart to start with a 30 min session to get things figured out. Is everything connected? Does this location even work?  I guess if you need new shorts it's good that you need to go smaller, right?  And yes, thing "light hands" on the bike.

2020-02-12 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Tom

It was really smart to start with a 30 min session to get things figured out. Is everything connected? Does this location even work?  I guess if you need new shorts it's good that you need to go smaller, right?  And yes, thing "light hands" on the bike.

i find that if i engage my core, i put less pressure on my hands.
2020-02-12 8:30 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by ceilidh

Tom

THIS.

although, sometimes numb hands are just due to a bad fit. If you can afford the time (and $) definitely get a professional fit. You'll be happier in the long run!

2020-02-12 8:51 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Today's Gravel Talk is about gearing.  I am not knowledgeable about gearing but I'm pretty sure that gravel gearing is not road gearing or Cx gearing. The fact that there are gravel groupsets was a big tip off!

So, I have a (heavy) Cx bike with a 46/36t crank and 11-32t cassette. Will this work for starter gravel?

And I have a road bike with a compact (50/34) crank and 12/28 (I think) in the back. 

I am looking to replace my road bike and I am thinking that it will be a roadie compatible with larger tires -- something like a Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane. The Domane can use tires as large as 38mm.  I was thinking that if the gearing was such that the bike would work for road, it's primary purpose, and gravel (sometimes), I could change tires/wheels for it's gravel adventures.  But if the gearing is not compatible, that may not be the best idea in the world.  It's just that I'm interested in gravel but there is not much in my area so I am hoping to find a balance.

P.S. Bike purchase on hold until I get my current leg situation resolved.

P.P.S. I found this explanation to be useful:  A Look At Gearing For Gravel- Part 1, A Look At Gearing For Gravel – Part “2X”

2020-02-12 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Swim > 2100 yds > pace = 2:20/100

Starting to REALLY look forward to the Recovery Week coming up.  10 years ago I would not have given a second thought to this workload.  I would have simply put my head down and bulled my way through.  Nowadays the combination of age, weight, and having had a stent placed two years ago weighs upon my mind and makes me second-guess my workload.  I have nothing more to credit it to.  I'm not getting (excessively) short of breath.  You would have to expect some heavy breathing at these times and efforts.  And my breathing/pulse seems to return to normal within a few minutes of stopping.  No light-headedness, no weakness, and no chest/shoulder pains.  I think that I have been pretty reasonable with my rate of increase.  My doctor did not seem to have any concerns two weeks ago.  In fact, she was really excited about my training.  I suppose that means I am on the right track.

2020-02-12 11:35 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thank you Janyne! I knew that there could be adjustments to getting the bike and trainer sync'd. I am trying not to get my hopes built up too much, only to be disappointed when it doesn't go as I thought it should. I am just taking step by step, knowing that I'm doing more than the others who just sit on the couch and watch TV.

And going smaller in clothing is always a good thing for an uber clydesdale!

Tom

2020-02-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Originally posted by ceilidh 

I was just reading that this morning. I know that my core is very lacking, so I'm going to have to figure out a routine to help build up my core. The upside that a stronger core will help with my swim too! 

Thanks!

Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127