BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-12 11:46 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Originally posted by ceilidh 

i find that if i engage my core, i put less pressure on my hands.

I was just reading that this morning. I know that my core is very lacking, so I'm going to have to figure out a routine to help build up my core. The upside that a stronger core will help with my swim too! 

Thanks!

Tom

I have to say, trainer time has changed a lot in the past ten years. I used to have a trainer and the TV and I wanted to stab my eyes out after 45 minutes. Zwift and The Sufferfest have changed all that for me.  No more eye stabbing! 

2020-02-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by ceilidh

i find that if i engage my core, i put less pressure on my hands.

THIS. although, sometimes numb hands are just due to a bad fit. If you can afford the time (and $) definitely get a professional fit. You'll be happier in the long run!

I agree that bad fit and a weak core can create the numb hands. I think my fit is close, I just need to do the fine-tuning. I'm going to work with adjusting the bike and seeing with what I can do. I think I'm close.

Thanks! 

Tom

2020-02-12 12:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Guuyyyyssss I popped into All3Sports over lunch (see my blog!). Asked the owner guy to walk me through new bike options based on what I'm looking for and my "middle of the road" budget, what he would recommend for me. He said he would recommend an Argon. He used the word "bulletproof" when talking about them, which kind of sold me. 

They have an Argon E117 with the Di2 electronic shifting (which seems kind of fancy for little ol' me, but sounds like heaven compared to my years of shifting issues.) on the floor. It's last year's model so 20% off. And they have it in my sizeeeeee. 

Anyone ride an Argon and have thoughts to share?

2020-02-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Guuyyyyssss I popped into All3Sports over lunch (see my blog!). Asked the owner guy to walk me through new bike options based on what I'm looking for and my "middle of the road" budget, what he would recommend for me. He said he would recommend an Argon. He used the word "bulletproof" when talking about them, which kind of sold me. 

They have an Argon E117 with the Di2 electronic shifting (which seems kind of fancy for little ol' me, but sounds like heaven compared to my years of shifting issues.) on the floor. It's last year's model so 20% off. And they have it in my sizeeeeee. 

I know several people with the Argon road bikes and they all love them. I test road their tri bike and I found it to be somewhat twitchy but that's just me.

2020-02-12 1:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Today's Gravel Talk is about gearing.  I am not knowledgeable about gearing but I'm pretty sure that gravel gearing is not road gearing or Cx gearing. The fact that there are gravel groupsets was a big tip off!

So, I have a (heavy) Cx bike with a 46/36t crank and 11-32t cassette. Will this work for starter gravel? Yes, this should work nicely

And I have a road bike with a compact (50/34) crank and 12/28 (I think) in the back. 

I am looking to replace my road bike and I am thinking that it will be a roadie compatible with larger tires -- something like a Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane. The Domane can use tires as large as 38mm.  I was thinking that if the gearing was such that the bike would work for road, it's primary purpose, and gravel (sometimes), I could change tires/wheels for it's gravel adventures.  But if the gearing is not compatible, that may not be the best idea in the world.  It's just that I'm interested in gravel but there is not much in my area so I am hoping to find a balance.

P.S. Bike purchase on hold until I get my current leg situation resolved.

P.P.S. I found this explanation to be useful:  A Look At Gearing For Gravel- Part 1, A Look At Gearing For Gravel – Part “2X”

I found a thread about just what you are considering --- sounds like it could be workable. Maybe have a chat with the LBS and see what their thoughts are? When I first started getting into gravel riding, my first bike was a Specialized Diverge. I thought I might swap out wheels and use it as my road bike now and then. But having a second set of wheels was pricier than I had anticipated, so I just went with different tires. And that was fine until I went with tubeless, which is much better for the gravel in this area, but a royal pain to swap out. Ultimately I just kept my old road bike and used the Diverge for strictly gravel/off road stuff.

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/1150...
2020-02-12 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I know several people with the Argon road bikes and they all love them. I test road their tri bike and I found it to be somewhat twitchy but that's just me.

I know a couple of people on their tribikes and they seem happy with them.

2020-02-12 1:35 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Today's Gravel Talk is about gearing.  I am not knowledgeable about gearing but I'm pretty sure that gravel gearing is not road gearing or Cx gearing. The fact that there are gravel groupsets was a big tip off!

So, I have a (heavy) Cx bike with a 46/36t crank and 11-32t cassette. Will this work for starter gravel? Yes, this should work nicely

And I have a road bike with a compact (50/34) crank and 12/28 (I think) in the back. 

I am looking to replace my road bike and I am thinking that it will be a roadie compatible with larger tires -- something like a Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane. The Domane can use tires as large as 38mm.  I was thinking that if the gearing was such that the bike would work for road, it's primary purpose, and gravel (sometimes), I could change tires/wheels for it's gravel adventures.  But if the gearing is not compatible, that may not be the best idea in the world.  It's just that I'm interested in gravel but there is not much in my area so I am hoping to find a balance.

P.P.S. I found this explanation to be useful:  A Look At Gearing For Gravel- Part 1, A Look At Gearing For Gravel – Part “2X”

I found a thread about just what you are considering --- sounds like it could be workable. Maybe have a chat with the LBS and see what their thoughts are? When I first started getting into gravel riding, my first bike was a Specialized Diverge. I thought I might swap out wheels and use it as my road bike now and then. But having a second set of wheels was pricier than I had anticipated, so I just went with different tires. And that was fine until I went with tubeless, which is much better for the gravel in this area, but a royal pain to swap out. Ultimately I just kept my old road bike and used the Diverge for strictly gravel/off road stuff. https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/1150...

Thanks, Anne!

It sort of kills me that I have wheelsets in my garage that I won't be able to use with any new bike that I am considering because of the whole disc brake thing.  Ah well. 

2020-02-12 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I found a thread about just what you are considering --- sounds like it could be workable. Maybe have a chat with the LBS and see what their thoughts are? When I first started getting into gravel riding, my first bike was a Specialized Diverge. I thought I might swap out wheels and use it as my road bike now and then. But having a second set of wheels was pricier than I had anticipated, so I just went with different tires. And that was fine until I went with tubeless, which is much better for the gravel in this area, but a royal pain to swap out. Ultimately I just kept my old road bike and used the Diverge for strictly gravel/off road stuff. https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/1150...

Thanks, Anne!

It sort of kills me that I have wheelsets in my garage that I won't be able to use with any new bike that I am considering because of the whole disc brake thing.  Ah well. 

I hear you on the wheelset thing.
2020-02-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have two different wheelsets for my hardtail, one knobbier with a higher gearing cassette (14-38?), the other with more narrow, less knobby tires(gravel) with smaller gearing on the cassette (13-34?). I had issues with it just simply because the cassettes were slightly different, so one of them was a bit "crunchy" if you will. Point being, multi-purpose bikes present their own challenges. If you are going the single bike route, you'll want two wheel sets like Anne mentioned, due to tubeless, ease of use, etc. And sometimes, the wheels can run as much as a bike. If you determine you like gravel after testing it out in an event or a few rides or whatever on your CX bike, you may want to either change some components on the CX (probably not) or get a new bike. I know, what were the chances that the answer is buy a new bike?!?! There are a few budget(?) options available, but you may want to look into something steel with a carbon fork. Lower cost and a smooth ride in exchange for weight. This is hard for triathletes to comprehend, but it may be worthwhile. And the gravel components seem to be based on mtb products, with larger gaps in the gearing and supposedly stronger(?) as opposed to road components. Those are a new market segment for manufacturers. My outlook is that of a more conservative shopper. I like to buy something that is proven, rather than buy something with no track record and take my chances.

2020-02-12 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Isn't the answer always "buy the bike"?

Not helpful, I know. Electronic shifting has taken big steps forward in the past couple of years in terms of reliability and functionality. What kind of brakes are on it? I saw both rim and disc brakes available on them. 

20% is a heck of a deal!

2020-02-12 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks, Anne!

You could always get new hubs laced on those. $$$$

2020-02-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I have two different wheelsets for my hardtail, one knobbier with a higher gearing cassette (14-38?), the other with more narrow, less knobby tires(gravel) with smaller gearing on the cassette (13-34?). I had issues with it just simply because the cassettes were slightly different, so one of them was a bit "crunchy" if you will. Point being, multi-purpose bikes present their own challenges. If you are going the single bike route, you'll want two wheel sets like Anne mentioned, due to tubeless, ease of use, etc. And sometimes, the wheels can run as much as a bike. If you determine you like gravel after testing it out in an event or a few rides or whatever on your CX bike, you may want to either change some components on the CX (probably not) or get a new bike. I know, what were the chances that the answer is buy a new bike?!?! There are a few budget(?) options available, but you may want to look into something steel with a carbon fork. Lower cost and a smooth ride in exchange for weight. This is hard for triathletes to comprehend, but it may be worthwhile. And the gravel components seem to be based on mtb products, with larger gaps in the gearing and supposedly stronger(?) as opposed to road components. Those are a new market segment for manufacturers. My outlook is that of a more conservative shopper. I like to buy something that is proven, rather than buy something with no track record and take my chances.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I totally get what you are saying.

I currently have two rear wheels for my current road bike -- one is for the trainer with a trainer tire on it and one is for outside with an appropriate tire on it. I have the different size cassettes on each wheel.  Even though the difference is only two teeth, it means that the bike is either tuned for inside or outside.  I totally get what you are saying.  If I had one bike for all circumstances, I'd have to have one gearing for all circumstances or it wouldn't work out all that well. 

2020-02-12 1:59 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not helpful, I know. Electronic shifting has taken big steps forward in the past couple of years in terms of reliability and functionality. What kind of brakes are on it? I saw both rim and disc brakes available on them. 

20% is a heck of a deal!

This one does not have disc brakes.

Also, the color scheme is the black and red frame, which are the same colors as my tri club kit. IS THAT A SIGN??? haha

2020-02-12 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

20% is a heck of a deal!

Also, the color scheme is the black and red frame, which are the same colors as my tri club kit. IS THAT A SIGN??? haha

I'm starting to wonder why you aren't in the store right now with your checkbook???? 

2020-02-12 2:27 PM

20% is a heck of a deal!

That is a sweet looking bike. The electronic shifter sounds amazing...until it's not? I have zero experience with electronic shifters, so others' opinions here on it will be more helpful. But any time I've thought of getting something with them, in my head I envision that scenario where I'm standing in line to check out at a store and the clerk tells me it's going to be a few minutes "because the computers are down" and they can't ring up my order without a computer. Climbing a hill, electronic shifter goes out or quits communicating with the derailleur for whatever reason...then what?

I would love to hear others' thought on that.
2020-02-12 2:42 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by alaskatri

20% is a heck of a deal!

That is a sweet looking bike. The electronic shifter sounds amazing...until it's not? I have zero experience with electronic shifters, so others' opinions here on it will be more helpful. But any time I've thought of getting something with them, in my head I envision that scenario where I'm standing in line to check out at a store and the clerk tells me it's going to be a few minutes "because the computers are down" and they can't ring up my order without a computer. Climbing a hill, electronic shifter goes out or quits communicating with the derailleur for whatever reason...then what?

I would love to hear others' thought on that.

**knockonwood** I have not had a problem. I have actually TRIED to get the battery to die (unless I'm going long then I make sure it's charged) but so far it's been really reliable.

RE: Argon - I have a friend who has one and is happy with it.

Having said that, my next bike will have discs - no question. I'm surprised they took so long to come to road and tri bikes! Anyone here to IMMT in the rain in 2016? Yeah, rim brakes coming down chemin duplessis was scary......."Please slow down, please slow down...."

2020-02-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

20% is a heck of a deal!

I think it is a sign .... 

Edited by juniperjen 2020-02-12 2:54 PM
2020-02-12 6:05 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master

Originally posted by alaskatri

20% is a heck of a deal!

That is a sweet looking bike. The electronic shifter sounds amazing...until it's not? I have zero experience with electronic shifters, so others' opinions here on it will be more helpful. But any time I've thought of getting something with them, in my head I envision that scenario where I'm standing in line to check out at a store and the clerk tells me it's going to be a few minutes "because the computers are down" and they can't ring up my order without a computer. Climbing a hill, electronic shifter goes out or quits communicating with the derailleur for whatever reason...then what? I would love to hear others' thought on that.

Two issues, one my own doing.

IM Copenhagen. Intermittent inability to shift rear derailleur, about 50km in. Stopped, checked all connections, tight, all good.  Still intermittent.  Took about another 10km to realize it was the bar end shifter that was not working (hence the intermittent--when I was on the hoods and shifted it worked, aero bars, no work). So, I rode having to shift on the hood the rest of the race.  Inconvenient and my left shoulder was sore from shifting my weight to that side to shift with my right, but manageable.  Turned out to be a faulty wire.

Training for IM Santa Rosa--going down a large hill when I realized that front derailleur would not shift. We were about 20km from where we parked--and I had to go back up that large hill to get there....thankfully I had enough charge that my rear derailleur was still shifting (and I was in the small chainring!).

So, Coles notes: check your charge.  Not really much I could do about the faulty wire Pretty reliable otherwise.

2020-02-12 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

First ride on the trainer is a success. Kinda. Let me explain. 

I was able to get about 30 minutes of riding in this evening. Nothing crazy, as I wanted this ride to be about getting everything figured out. At the end of the ride, I had made a few observations. 

• I need new bib shorts, as the ones I have are about 2-3 sizes too big. I guess that means a purchase to Aerotech Designs is forthcoming on next payday. 
  • I really need to do some fitting with me and the bike. I just don't feel quite right yet, like a little cramped. 
  • My hands were starting to get numb, so I'm placing too much weight on them. I am going to do some research on how to alleviate that pressure. 
  • I had my wife take this photo. I think the knee angle is ok, but I suspect the seat needs to be slid back, as the knee looks too far forward in relationship to the pedal.

Bike fit (along with clothing, cars, etc.) is always an area that I have to address. At 6'2", I'm "tall" but I have a LONG torso and short legs. That means that my bike fit isn't going to come straight from the factory. :| 

I know Janyne was eager to hear how it went, so here is my first bike on the trainer!

Tom

Good job Tom, congrats on getting it set up and going. As a non-trainer guy, I have little input, although I will say that the shorter rides in the beginning are a good idea. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you seem to have the long view in mind, so just keep doing those rides. You may need new shorts, you may need a better position, you may benefit from better gloves, a stronger core or any combination of those. The one thing I think we can all agree on s that it will get easier in time and you will get more comfortable in time as well. 

2020-02-13 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Lisa, after reading your Wednesday Ted Talk about the shifting issues on your "just fine bike", I say you should pull the trigger on the new bike.  You are much more fit than I am, you race much more often, AND you could actually reap significant benefits from the new bike.  Plus, the extra bonus is "found money".  You weren't counting on it, so it's not like using it to buy this bike is going to retard your plans at all.  My C'dale Synapse was only a $1k bike but every time I get back on that after having ridden my C'dale mountain bike I am reminded just how much I really like that bike.  Give yourself a little treat and I bet you'll be smiling every time you ride it.  Especially climbing hills on those 70.3's!

2020-02-13 10:50 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Good job Tom, congrats on getting it set up and going. As a non-trainer guy, I have little input, although I will say that the shorter rides in the beginning are a good idea. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you seem to have the long view in mind, so just keep doing those rides. You may need new shorts, you may need a better position, you may benefit from better gloves, a stronger core or any combination of those. The one thing I think we can all agree on s that it will get easier in time and you will get more comfortable in time as well. 

Thank you Chris! I am looking at this as a long time investment, an investment in adopting a healthier lifestyle. 

Tom

2020-02-13 11:03 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Robin, this is my 21 yr old Marine speaking; "NEVER quit!"  And what the 61 yr old SMARTER me means by that is FORCE them to tell you that you haven't made the cutoff, but stop talking yourself into not making it.

I know you may view this as a step backward, but have you considered doing your run workouts/race in run/walk intervals?  Maybe you could tolerate shorter periods of jogging interspersed with periods of walking recovery?  Just a thought.

2020-02-13 11:13 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Walk - 60m - 3.44mi - 17:27/mi

Nice walk, decent pace. Went into it actually looking forward to the workout, and I was not disappointed. It felt great. Lapped a bunch of other walkers, some several times, and did not get lapped myself. I KNOW, I'm doing this for me, nobody else, but I can't keep that little competitive monster in the basement. He creeps into every workout I do. Most days it is all I can do to hold him in check. Weight is still above where I wanted to be tomorrow morning. I don't think that lunch at Hoss' yesterday helped any.  I hate to say this, really hate to say this, but I'm going to look into the diabetic cookbooks at home and see if I can't find some interesting salads for suppers.  LOL, you have to understand, I really hate eating salads.  To me, salads have always been nothing but solid green water; zero flavor, zero nutrition, zero interest.

Weight: 365

2020-02-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I hate to say this, really hate to say this, but I'm going to look into the diabetic cookbooks at home and see if I can't find some interesting salads for suppers.  LOL, you have to understand, I really hate eating salads.  To me, salads have always been nothing but solid green water; zero flavor, zero nutrition, zero interest.

This reminded me of a thread I saw on Twitter about making your salads exciting! I follow this guy anyway because he's hilarious, but I FELT this scripture on salads: https://twitter.com/theyearofelan/status/1222356311393751040  (foul language warning)

Personally, I've found that I need to limit the actual lettuce. Just use a small handful and then pile up all the veggies and a protein. So lettuce is not the star, or even a substantial base, for me.

Edited by lisac957 2020-02-13 11:45 AM
2020-02-13 12:35 PM

User image

Hey guys sorry I have been MIA with all my travel. Was hoping to catch up on the thread a little but my internet at home as been reduced to dialup speeds. Going to goof off a little at work today and see if I can make some head way.

Had a great time in Vegas and didn't gamble once! Nice hike at Arizona hot springs, but didn't make it to Red Rock Canyon.
Excited to see the bike course up for Virginia Blue Ridge so lots of work to do the next few months.

NP
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127