BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-17 11:56 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by alaskatri There were some recent posts about training calendars in this thread. I looked at a few folks' calendars here on BT, and what I noticed was that it only lists what you've already completed. I am curious what folks have/use for calendars, if anything, for what you are going to do tomorrow, next week, next month? I think it's probably too soon for me to develop a real "training plan" of sorts. If I created a calendared plan, it would likely say "do a different discipline than yesterday, and go at least as long and as hard as you did it last time, plus a little more, and don't die." That would sort of sum up what I am currently doing. It was an interesting swim today. 

I'm old school I suppose and make my training plans in Excel. Then I can graph my volume to make sure everything adds up how I want it to. Here's a few screen shots:

That's a great method Lisa, thanks for sharing.

2020-02-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16
Curtis - Out Law 135 mile trail run (pacing brother for 20 miles)
Chris - ONG Metric ride on Sunday
Melanie - Frozen Foot #2 on Sunday
Jim, Ann-Marie. Janyne - Tour of Sufferlandria (all week)

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Well...I got my first taste of Trail Running/Ultra Running this weekend.  I had two running friends in the Ultra race in addition to my brother.  I felt bad hitting up all out friends to Pace my brother because I figured that would leave no one to pace either of them.  My brother banged up his knee at about mile 30 and then pulled out of the race at mile 53.  So...the three pacers that we had lined up for my brother took over pacing for my other two friends that were in the race.  Two guys jumped in with Dusty who didn't have any pacers.  I jumped in with Marcus, who I didn't think had any pacers.  He said that he was going to run another loop (20 miles) with another guy.  I assumed the other guy was another racer who was at about his speed but figured out pretty soon that he was a pacer who was doing 40 miles with Marcus.  I only paced with them for 2-1/2 hours but learned a lot from pacing with a premiere pacer.  When I left them at 4:30 AM they had about a 3-1/3 to 4-hour segment ahead of them and they were going to try to get back by 8:00 AM so that John, the pacer, could do the half marathon at 8:00 AM the next morning.  Marcs was the course record hold going into the event.  He was in second place when I left them.  I saw his finish time but didn't look up the race results to see how everyone did.  So...back to Triathlon training now.  :-)  I only ran about 2 miles a day last week. 

">HERE is Marcus' Facebook Post.  I made the feed as a Pacer.  Wahoo!  When I do my Ultra I am going to be contacting John to be my pacer though.  He was the real deal.  I was just the Rookie in Training.

I bow to Marcus, trail running extraordinaire!  Seriously, that's very impressive and excellent that you were part of his accomplishment, day, and write-up, Curtis!

2020-02-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16
Curtis - Out Law 135 mile trail run (pacing brother for 20 miles)
Chris - ONG Metric ride on Sunday
Melanie - Frozen Foot #2 on Sunday
Jim, Ann-Marie. Janyne - Tour of Sufferlandria (all week)

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Well...I got my first taste of Trail Running/Ultra Running this weekend.  I had two running friends in the Ultra race in addition to my brother.  I felt bad hitting up all out friends to Pace my brother because I figured that would leave no one to pace either of them.  My brother banged up his knee at about mile 30 and then pulled out of the race at mile 53.  So...the three pacers that we had lined up for my brother took over pacing for my other two friends that were in the race.  Two guys jumped in with Dusty who didn't have any pacers.  I jumped in with Marcus, who I didn't think had any pacers.  He said that he was going to run another loop (20 miles) with another guy.  I assumed the other guy was another racer who was at about his speed but figured out pretty soon that he was a pacer who was doing 40 miles with Marcus.  I only paced with them for 2-1/2 hours but learned a lot from pacing with a premiere pacer.  When I left them at 4:30 AM they had about a 3-1/3 to 4-hour segment ahead of them and they were going to try to get back by 8:00 AM so that John, the pacer, could do the half marathon at 8:00 AM the next morning.  Marcs was the course record hold going into the event.  He was in second place when I left them.  I saw his finish time but didn't look up the race results to see how everyone did.  So...back to Triathlon training now.  :-)  I only ran about 2 miles a day last week. 

Congratulations to everyone! Sorry your brother had to drop out early, but 53 miles, especially on trail, is amazing! Sounds like a good learning experience for you too.

2020-02-18 9:05 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations to both Melanie and Curits. Very different runs this weekend. Good progress for both of you!

Ann-Marie, how was your run this weekend?

2020-02-18 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations to both Melanie and Curits. Very different runs this weekend. Good progress for both of you!

My run sucked, thanks for asking My "race" was a 4 miler that i was using as a 5k assessment to check my pace zones. So first .8 warm up and then the 5k time trial. I ended up averaging at least 30 seconds per mile slower than i would have been before taking my time off SBR stuff. So while the result isn't surprising it still is maddening! It did point out to me that i've neglected speed work for a while, so i immediately signed up for a 10k race that's about 3 weeks out to do my next assessment. I also will use this to test the tridot system !  

Edited by amd723 2020-02-18 9:23 AM
2020-02-18 9:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

My run sucked, thanks for asking My "race" was a 4 miler that i was using as a 5k assessment to check my pace zones. So first .8 warm up and then the 5k time trial. I ended up averaging at least 30 seconds per mile slower than i would have been before taking my time of SBR stuff. So while the result isn't surprising it still is maddening! It did point out to me that i've neglected speed work for a while, so i immediately signed up for a 10k race that's about 3 weeks out to do my next assessment. I also will use this to test the tridot system !  

Races are the best "tests" for me as well. If you asked me to do a 5k on a track by myself and compared that to a 5k race, well, the results would be completely different.  You have some deep fitness, it'll come back quickly. 

2020-02-18 9:22 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

My Not-So-Frozen Foot 5K went pretty well yesterday, I beat my own personal record for the course (although take that with a grain of salt, they change the route like most people change underwear, not sure why they keep mucking with it).  My goal for next race is to get below the number I was ohsoclose to.  My husband snagged 1st AG, although oddly there were only 4 in his group, one would expect a lot more.  I managed 4/17 AG, 15 seconds off 3rd place.  I think this is the highest I've ever ranked in this race.  Looking forward to March and race #3 in the series!

Congratulations to you and your husband! It's nice when you see improvement!!

2020-02-18 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My run sucked, thanks for asking My "race" was a 4 miler that i was using as a 5k assessment to check my pace zones. So first .8 warm up and then the 5k time trial. I ended up averaging at least 30 seconds per mile slower than i would have been before taking my time of SBR stuff. So while the result isn't surprising it still is maddening! It did point out to me that i've neglected speed work for a while, so i immediately signed up for a 10k race that's about 3 weeks out to do my next assessment. I also will use this to test the tridot system !  

Races are the best "tests" for me as well. If you asked me to do a 5k on a track by myself and compared that to a 5k race, well, the results would be completely different.  You have some deep fitness, it'll come back quickly. 

I'll hold you to that! I agree, it's much easier to push yourself in a race than a solo run ! I did manage to place 8/90 in my AG so my feelings didn't get completely destroyed   The pace i would have run on my own probably would have put me much lower in the rankings.

Edited by amd723 2020-02-18 9:26 AM
2020-02-18 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Bike - 30m - 8.05 miles - 16.10 Mi/hr
Woo-Hoo! RECOVERY WEEK! Might not be doing this exactly right, but I just took ALL of my bike and walk times down to 30m instead of having a short and a long. That'll be roughly half the time I will do for the next two base weeks. Rode Fruitdale, basically a +1% grade for 3.5 miles and then -1% for 0.9 miles back to the start. Started in 15th gear and had rpm's in lower 60's. Decided to try 13th gear, which brought my rpm's into the lower 70's. I liked the lighter leg effort, even if it did raise my HR and increase my breathing rate.  It comes out to just at the Zone 2 upper limit; AHR=128, MHR=158 (which is technically 1 bpm below my theoretical 100%).  So I guess a good part of this ride had to be in Zone 3.

Noticed a strange thing as I was starting the 2nd lap. On the anterior right portion of my left knee (the one I used to wear the neoprene brace on) I started to feel a little "snap". It felt kind of like someone was snapping a small rubber band on the inside of my knee. It wasn't every revolution and it eventually went away. Curiouser and curiouser.

Swim - 33m 45s - 1500.00 yards - 2m 15s /100 yards
I had the time this morning and since it is a recovery week the bike was a light workout. So I decided to squeeze in the swim I missed yesterday. Writing the speed sets for Jason the other day got me to thinking and I decided to make speed sets my regular Monday workout.

5x100 on 2:45 (not quite a 30s rest)
10x50 on 1:40 (about 25s rest)
20x25 on 1:25 (about 15s rest)

Each set works out to 500 yds, so I met my 1500 plan. The distances got shorter with each set, and my pace got a little slower with each set, so my rest periods also got shorter. By the end I was only getting about 8-10s rests.

• Weight: 365

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-18 10:46 AM
2020-02-18 11:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

OUCH!  Remember how I said those snow boots were not for hiking in?  Well, I spent most of last evening wishing I hadn't done that little hike.  My right foot was throbbing, felt like I had given myself a nice deep bone bruise on the ball of that foot.  It actually interfered with my sleep last night and I couldn't walk normally this morning.  Fortunately it did not impede me on the bike this morning.  But afterwards, sitting in front of my locker, I decided to see if I could actually see the bruise.  Nope.  SURPRISE, it wasn't a bruise.  Apparently I built, burst, and drained a blister the size of a 50 cent piece directly under the joint of my middle toe.  I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a blister on my feet.

2020-02-18 11:16 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I do NOT deserve my wife!

I was being a "typical man", complaining about my foot and how mapmyfitness didn't log my hike accurately.  My DEAR wife (who handles all our money) told me I could buy both a Polar Vantage M gps watch AND a pair of Columbia hiking boots.  Yep, I definitely married above my station.

2020-02-18 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Applying a "little" pressure.  I just added my first 5k to my calendar for Saturday, May 9th.  That should be just enough time for me to complete my modified C25k program.

2020-02-18 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I was being a "typical man", complaining about my foot and how mapmyfitness didn't log my hike accurately.  My DEAR wife (who handles all our money) told me I could buy both a Polar Vantage M gps watch AND a pair of Columbia hiking boots.  Yep, I definitely married above my station.

We have been doing some IRS calculations. TW, turned to me and asked which bike I wanted next. I too am playing out of my league. So now the question is, Gravel or soft-tail?

2020-02-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

We have been doing some IRS calculations. TW, turned to me and asked which bike I wanted next. I too am playing out of my league. So now the question is, Gravel or soft-tail?

awww, i love this so much! 

2020-02-18 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Your wife sounds like a real sweetheart!
2020-02-18 1:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

How are you approaching Grunter's Grand Fondo. Are you going to do all three back to back? Right now, I am thinking of two on Sunday and one somewhere else within the completion window.

Stoopid Grunter!

2020-02-18 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Applying a "little" pressure.  I just added my first 5k to my calendar for Saturday, May 9th.  That should be just enough time for me to complete my modified C25k program.

Well done!

2020-02-18 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

How are you approaching Grunter's Grand Fondo. Are you going to do all three back to back? Right now, I am thinking of two on Sunday and one somewhere else within the completion window.

Stoopid Grunter!

I'm ignoring Sunday Did you do the cyphering to figure out when the window closes? 

2020-02-18 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

Stoopid Grunter!

I'm ignoring Sunday Did you do the cyphering to figure out when the window closes? 

The Sunday assignment is to be completed between 5am Saturday and 7am Monday if I am reading the chart correctly.

2020-02-18 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

Stoopid Grunter!

The Sunday assignment is to be completed between 5am Saturday and 7am Monday if I am reading the chart correctly.

That's the way i read the chart too, so i may push things around so as not to be on the trainer 3 hrs in one go! Plus a little green bike is being assembled as i type and i'm betting i will have it outside Sunday, so that will no doubt affect my Tour.

2020-02-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Well done!

Exciting! :D 

2020-02-18 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

Stoopid Grunter!

That's the way i read the chart too, so i may push things around so as not to be on the trainer 3 hrs in one go! Plus a little green bike is being assembled as i type and i'm betting i will have it outside Sunday, so that will no doubt affect my Tour.

Wait! I thought that you test drove CARS yesterday! Tell us about the Green Bike!

Found it in your log "since i should have my gravel bike this week and will probably want to take it out Sunday. "  How did I miss that?!

Edited by jmkizer 2020-02-18 2:02 PM
2020-02-18 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

Stoopid Grunter!

Wait! I thought that you test drove CARS yesterday! Tell us about the Green Bike!

Found it in your log "since i should have my gravel bike this week and will probably want to take it out Sunday. "  How did I miss that?!

LOL, I did test drive cars and assume later this year I will be making that double-edged sword purchase, but yep bought the gravel bike about  10 days ago. I had to wait for store delivery and now it's being assembled. With the store only opened 11-6 weekdays it may be impossible for me to pick it up before Saturday though  

2020-02-18 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

Stoopid Grunter!

LOL, I did test drive cars and assume later this year I will be making that double-edged sword purchase, but yep bought the gravel bike about  10 days ago. I had to wait for store delivery and now it's being assembled. With the store only opened 11-6 weekdays it may be impossible for me to pick it up before Saturday though  

You know full well that we need more details than that!

2020-02-18 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Fellow Sufferlandrians,

Stoopid Grunter!

You know full well that we need more details than that!

taken of the inter webs

Attachments
----------------
657A1350-98EB-41BF-A435-EC8EFA339DA1.jpeg (478KB - 9 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127