BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-16 7:50 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
In my case I'm not really feeling all that sick, but this particular cold is like really bad allergies--literally, if I run or ride, my eyes and nose will be streaming so much I couldn't see where I was going! And it seems gross to be getting all that into a pool! I did have a sore throat at the outset, so no doubt some kind of bug, but we already have flowers coming up here and lots of flowering trees--wondering if maybe there is an allergy as well as a viral component to this particular episode.

Hope my pod-mates are feeling better soon!

2020-02-17 1:16 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

There were some recent posts about training calendars in this thread. I looked at a few folks' calendars here on BT, and what I noticed was that it only lists what you've already completed. I am curious what folks have/use for calendars, if anything, for what you are going to do tomorrow, next week, next month? I think it's probably too soon for me to develop a real "training plan" of sorts. If I created a calendared plan, it would likely say "do a different discipline than yesterday, and go at least as long and as hard as you did it last time, plus a little more, and don't die." That would sort of sum up what I am currently doing.

It was an interesting swim today. As a kid I swam all the time, and played a few seasons of water polo. I was teaching my daughter today how to tread water and what I noticed is hard how she works to do it. I am trying to teach her the "eggbeater" method I used in water polo, which is almost effortless for me. I could do it for an hour without breaking a sweat I think. In the process of teaching her, I kept trying to tell her how much energy she was using to do what she was doing, and help her change it up. But then as I swam laps, I was trying to use the Total Immersion type freestyle stroke, because similarly, it teaches how effortless it is. Yet, I found myself using more energy trying to get the stroke right than just swimming like I do. But I also can't for the life of me break 2:30/100 over any distance. I found my treading lesson ironic given that I simply could not use less energy on my laps.
2020-02-17 7:27 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

Here's a link to my training plan that includes the next 6 weeks until my event - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kYNIrwzAEZX9QLEGMFHCWqjcW9xP...

I created this plan myself, inspired by a lot of different plans and based on my schedule, resources, and the fact that I can't seem to stay healthy running more than 2x per week. I call it the 4, 3, 2, 1 plan for 4 bikes, 3 swims, 2 runs, and 1 strength session on average per week.

I had my biggest week of training ever with about 11 hours, including a 54 mile bike on Saturday and an open water swim yesterday followed by an 8 mile trail run. It felt great to be out in the SF Bay, even if it was 55 degrees. The upside is that it was calmer than usual with very little chop. I love open water swimming and it was great to get back at it - plus, I was 10 sec per 100 faster than my last OW swim about 6 months ago.
2020-02-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Well, my tight chest and high heart rate are not due to my weight gain and being out of shape.  My ferritin level is 5 . Explains quite a number of other symptoms I am having too.

I was low a few years back too, but caught it at 10. Hoping I can get it back up to a reasonable level quickly! Re-started my iron supplement again last night. Kicking myself because I have been feeling 'not quite right' for a little while but didn't get in to see the doc.

Monday is a holiday on for us--Family day.  Planning on something fun with SO and puppies!  Have a great Sunday everyone.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm glad that you at least got to the bottom of things.

I think that I've mentioned that my mom has been on chemo.  Her doctor has her on Flinstones brand children's vitamins with iron. Apparently this type is very well tolerated. Just something to keep in mind.

2020-02-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16
Curtis - Out Law 135 mile trail run (pacing brother for 20 miles)
Chris - ONG Metric ride on Sunday
Melanie - Frozen Foot #2 on Sunday
Jim, Ann-Marie. Janyne - Tour of Sufferlandria (all week)

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers! I salute Ann-Marie and Janyne for joining me in The Grand Tour.

Yes, go git em racers!

Jim I may be joining you and Janyne in The Grand Tour but i will be wimping out on most of the rides and reducing intensity -no nuclear option for me! Right now i'm sitting outside on patio, drinking coffee, tv on in the background, dog playing in the yard and trying to convince myself it's a good idea to sit on the trainer 2 hours! 

Not "nuclear" here either.

2020-02-17 7:41 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Take care Anne and Karen and any other Manatees that are under the weather.

2020-02-17 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri There were some recent posts about training calendars in this thread. I looked at a few folks' calendars here on BT, and what I noticed was that it only lists what you've already completed. I am curious what folks have/use for calendars, if anything, for what you are going to do tomorrow, next week, next month? I think it's probably too soon for me to develop a real "training plan" of sorts. If I created a calendared plan, it would likely say "do a different discipline than yesterday, and go at least as long and as hard as you did it last time, plus a little more, and don't die." That would sort of sum up what I am currently doing. 

I've used various training calendar systems. 

• For many years, I worked with a coach who emailed me a two week plan and after two weeks, she'd send me another plan. I put the plan into Google Calendar to see it.
  • Then I worked with someone who used Training Peaks. She'd put the workouts on the Training Peaks calendar and when I did them, they'd sync up.
  • Now I work with Endurance Nation and you load your won plan onto a Final Surge calendar.  You do the workout and they sync up.

I still keep a Google Calendar because in those early days, I had trained my husband to look at it.  Also, that's the easiest way for me to see how my training life matches up with the rest of my life.

Also, don't forget that The Sufferfest has it's own calendar. If you decided to use one of their training plans, that would be a solution.

2020-02-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

In my case I'm not really feeling all that sick, but this particular cold is like really bad allergies--literally, if I run or ride, my eyes and nose will be streaming so much I couldn't see where I was going! And it seems gross to be getting all that into a pool! I did have a sore throat at the outset, so no doubt some kind of bug, but we already have flowers coming up here and lots of flowering trees--wondering if maybe there is an allergy as well as a viral component to this particular episode.

Hope my pod-mates are feeling better soon!

That does sound a bit like allergies. Very cool that you've got flowers coming up!
2020-02-17 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by alaskatri

There were some recent posts about training calendars in this thread. I looked at a few folks' calendars here on BT, and what I noticed was that it only lists what you've already completed. I am curious what folks have/use for calendars, if anything, for what you are going to do tomorrow, next week, next month? I think it's probably too soon for me to develop a real "training plan" of sorts. If I created a calendared plan, it would likely say "do a different discipline than yesterday, and go at least as long and as hard as you did it last time, plus a little more, and don't die." That would sort of sum up what I am currently doing.

It was an interesting swim today. As a kid I swam all the time, and played a few seasons of water polo. I was teaching my daughter today how to tread water and what I noticed is hard how she works to do it. I am trying to teach her the "eggbeater" method I used in water polo, which is almost effortless for me. I could do it for an hour without breaking a sweat I think. In the process of teaching her, I kept trying to tell her how much energy she was using to do what she was doing, and help her change it up. But then as I swam laps, I was trying to use the Total Immersion type freestyle stroke, because similarly, it teaches how effortless it is. Yet, I found myself using more energy trying to get the stroke right than just swimming like I do. But I also can't for the life of me break 2:30/100 over any distance. I found my treading lesson ironic given that I simply could not use less energy on my laps.

I use Training Peaks in conjunction with Fascat Coaching plans. Hopefully you can view this
https://app.trainingpeaks.com/
2020-02-17 8:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois

Take care Anne and Karen and any other Manatees that are under the weather.

Thank you, a bizarre side effect of this cold is that I've got laryngitis. I can't remember the last time I lost my voice. It's been interested trying to communicate.
2020-02-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by awm007 POL post here! I hope everyone in the pod is doing well. Tough last week as 4 of the 5 of us in my family have had the flu. My activity level has not been the best even under optimal health conditions.

My anecdotal observation is this has been a worse-than-usual flu year.  Sorry to hear your family got hit, hoping you are all recovered or on the road to recovery.  Take care.

2020-02-17 9:12 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri There were some recent posts about training calendars in this thread. I looked at a few folks' calendars here on BT, and what I noticed was that it only lists what you've already completed. I am curious what folks have/use for calendars, if anything, for what you are going to do tomorrow, next week, next month? I think it's probably too soon for me to develop a real "training plan" of sorts. If I created a calendared plan, it would likely say "do a different discipline than yesterday, and go at least as long and as hard as you did it last time, plus a little more, and don't die." That would sort of sum up what I am currently doing. It was an interesting swim today. 

I'm old school I suppose and make my training plans in Excel. Then I can graph my volume to make sure everything adds up how I want it to. Here's a few screen shots:

2020-02-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Well...I got my first taste of Trail Running/Ultra Running this weekend.  I had two running friends in the Ultra race in addition to my brother.  I felt bad hitting up all out friends to Pace my brother because I figured that would leave no one to pace either of them.  My brother banged up his knee at about mile 30 and then pulled out of the race at mile 53.  So...the three pacers that we had lined up for my brother took over pacing for my other two friends that were in the race.  Two guys jumped in with Dusty who didn't have any pacers.  I jumped in with Marcus, who I didn't think had any pacers.  He said that he was going to run another loop (20 miles) with another guy.  I assumed the other guy was another racer who was at about his speed but figured out pretty soon that he was a pacer who was doing 40 miles with Marcus.  I only paced with them for 2-1/2 hours but learned a lot from pacing with a premiere pacer.  When I left them at 4:30 AM they had about a 3-1/3 to 4-hour segment ahead of them and they were going to try to get back by 8:00 AM so that John, the pacer, could do the half marathon at 8:00 AM the next morning.  Marcs was the course record hold going into the event.  He was in second place when I left them.  I saw his finish time but didn't look up the race results to see how everyone did.  So...back to Triathlon training now.  :-)  I only ran about 2 miles a day last week. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-02-17 9:41 AM
2020-02-17 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by alaskatri  I am curious what folks have/use for calendars, if anything, for what you are going to do tomorrow, next week, next month? I think it's probably too soon for me to develop a real "training plan" of sorts. If I created a calendared plan, it would likely say "do a different discipline than yesterday, and go at least as long and as hard as you did it last time, plus a little more, and don't die." That would sort of sum up what I am currently doing.

Jason, here's a link to my training plan calendar.  I use the training plan calendar in BT because it is there and it is easy to figure out.  It is in the Training Log drop-down menu, 3rd one down, right under My Training Log.  I have the BT app on my phone, so I can access it ahead of time and pack my gym bag accordingly.  As I have said before, it is very important for me to have a plan ahead of time.  I cannot trust myself to simply show up and do whatever comes to mind.

I create my own plan each month based on what I hope to be able to do.  The fact that I am retired, with very few responsibilities, means that I can pretty much schedule whatever/whenever I want.  So I set myself up on a Mon-Fri schedule at the YMCA.  As you can see, I set up my schedule with at least 48 hrs between similar workouts, to allow my body to recover from this punishment.

I know that I am going against the accepted wisdom by training my favorite discipline 3x a week while everything else is only 2x.  My brother, Jack,  just reminded me this week that I am the one who told him to emphasize his greatest weakness, not his greatest strength.  And I will place more emphasis on the bike and run legs once I can train outside.  But initially I felt it was important for me to emphasize the swim so the success there would provide enthusiasm for the others.

I felt the most important thing for me to do, since I have been so sedentary for so long, was to establish a consistent workout ethic and build a basic aerobic base.  If you scroll back and look at my December and January planning calendars you will see that I started with 30m & 45m workouts and only increased them by 5m each week.  Thus it took me 10 weeks to work up to the 60m workouts I complete.  Now my times will stay the same (at least thru March) as I focus on increasing my intensity and the distances accomplished in those times.  After March, I would like to design a plan with that nice progressive curve you see in Lisa's post.

2020-02-17 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by alaskatri  I was teaching my daughter today how to tread water and what I noticed is hard how she works to do it. .....  I kept trying to tell her how much energy she was using to do what she was doing, and help her change it up.
  Aaah, the "joys" of trying to teach a family member.  I taught swimming and coached swim teams in the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's.  It was my greatest embarrassment that I could not teach my own daughter to swim.  I couldn't even get her to back float.  As soon as I switched classes and Carl started teaching her she did straight off.  And let's not even talk about her while I was coaching her YMCA swim team!  I am currently re-living the "joy" of that experience as I try to teach my two grandsons.

As for breaking the 2:30 barrier, may I suggest that you stop trying?  Switch it up and focus on shorter speed sets instead.  If you are early in your swim training (and it sounds like you are) try doing something like 10(or 20)x25 on 45s, the quicker you get to the other end the more rest you have.  Slower means less rest, but be strict about that 45s limit.  You can also do 5(or 10)x50 on 1:15.  If you opt for the 10x50 do them on 1:30.  Those will give you either a 250yd or 500 yd workout, perfect for a short lunch-time swim.  And don't be in any hurry to get rid of speed sets.  When you can do the 10x25 all under 45s, then step up to the 20x25 in 45s.  Keep working these speed sets until you can do the 20x25's on 35s or even 30s flat.  For the 10x50 set work toward 1:10, or even 1:00

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-17 12:35 PM
2020-02-17 12:34 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by lisac957

Wow!  That is a beautifully progressive curve.  I hope to make my plan look like that after March, except mine will only be 2:1.  I have to see if I can teach myself how to do that spreadsheet.  I'm going to assume that the left axis is HOURS.  It doesn't look like it would work for minutes.  Do you input your plan in even-hour  increments or do you input in decimals?  For instance, Week 1, is that an even 2 hours of running or is it something like 2.1 or 2.2?

2020-02-17 12:47 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Originally posted by lisac957

Wow!  That is a beautifully progressive curve.  I hope to make my plan look like that after March, except mine will only be 2:1.  I have to see if I can teach myself how to do that spreadsheet.  I'm going to assume that the left axis is HOURS.  It doesn't look like it would work for minutes.  Do you input your plan in even-hour  increments or do you input in decimals?  For instance, Week 1, is that an even 2 hours of running or is it something like 2.1 or 2.2?

Yes left axis is hours , right axis is weeks.

Everything is decimals for time. For my workouts that aren't time based, I have formulas to calculate my time in minutes based on my sport averages (bike = mph, run = minutes per mile, swim = minutes per 100 yd), then I divide the minutes by 60 to get the number in hours. In the other screenshot you can see the numbers in hours that the formula spit out - that's what I used to make the pretty graph.

I will admit it took more math than I'm comfortable with, but I've been tweaking this sort of spreadsheet for 3 or 4 years and now have it how I want it. 

2020-02-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Dropped the bikes off at my LBS this morning for their spring tune-ups.  They should be ready by March 1st, and I SHOULD be able to start riding outside about then.

2020-02-17 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Another Training Peaks user here. Not posting a shot here, as recently (until getting sick again last week) I've been working with my coach again and she asks us not to post training plans/specific workouts on social media. This gave rise to a lot of debate the last time I mentioned it--I know some disagree but it's her business and she does have that prerogative. I'm sure there are no big secrets, though! I use BT mainly to keep track of monthly/yearly totals (depressing over the past year or so!). What I post here when working with my coach is just a general description of the workout--steady, intervals, or whatever, plus duration and maybe distance or power.

Usually I get my workouts about 1-2 weeks out, then I sometimes move them around a bit depending on things like after work commitments and sometimes weather (for outdoor stuff).

When I'm not working with my coach, I keep my TP account (since it's an annual fee) and plan/post my own workouts in there. Depending on my goals, sometimes I will plan ahead and put something general in there like "One hour easy run" or "30 minute swim". Other times (if I'm getting over an injury or illness and just doing what I feel up to each day), I will just post what I actually did.
2020-02-17 1:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

My Not-So-Frozen Foot 5K went pretty well yesterday, I beat my own personal record for the course (although take that with a grain of salt, they change the route like most people change underwear, not sure why they keep mucking with it).  My goal for next race is to get below the number I was ohsoclose to.  My husband snagged 1st AG, although oddly there were only 4 in his group, one would expect a lot more.  I managed 4/17 AG, 15 seconds off 3rd place.  I think this is the highest I've ever ranked in this race.  Looking forward to March and race #3 in the series!

2020-02-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Congrats Melanie! Nice results.

2020-02-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: #5267329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I am quickly becoming a non-fan of Monday holidays. I figured since Cindy was off (the bank is closed) I could get her to the gym early and squeeze in the recovery version of my back-to-back. (she's not real dedicated yet, I can usually only get her to go 1 or 2 times a week) Nope! No school today so I got pressed into Grandpa Duty. So much for an early workout. DD picked up the kids just before open swim would have started. Boy, was the 6 yr old ticked off! But then Cindy decided she wasn't feeling it and needed a nap, so we drove home instead of working out.

But it was not a total waste of a day. Since she was taking a nap I decided to go for a hike. It was not a walk, because the majority of it was on tractor roads around and thru the neighbor's corn fields. The snow was ankle deep and mushy wet. I was wearing my LLBean style snow boots (those things weigh 2lbs apiece and are definitely not going boots) and using a 5' walking stick in each hand. It may have only been 2 miles in 40-45 minutes but it was a really tough 2 miles. How do I know? It's the first time my exercise induced asthma has kicked in since I started training back in November. So, it won't help my training plan but I DID get a workout in, no blank spots in my calendar for this month yet.
2020-02-17 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Okay, I will stop complaining when our forecast "sunny" day turns out to not be quite so sunny or warm as advertised. Typical "Oregon sunshine" for this time of year--high 40's with some occasional sun breaks between the clouds. Anyway, nothing fell from the sky, and I made it out for an easy 50 minute run and felt better after, not worse. Switched yesterday from cold to allergy meds and that seems to be doing the trick so far....hoping I haven't just made myself relapse. Paranoid as I sometimes end up battling cold/sinus stuff all winter and half the spring when teaching, a pattern that even living in the tropics didn't completely change.
2020-02-17 5:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

My Not-So-Frozen Foot 5K went pretty well yesterday, I beat my own personal record for the course (although take that with a grain of salt, they change the route like most people change underwear, not sure why they keep mucking with it).  My goal for next race is to get below the number I was ohsoclose to.  My husband snagged 1st AG, although oddly there were only 4 in his group, one would expect a lot more.  I managed 4/17 AG, 15 seconds off 3rd place.  I think this is the highest I've ever ranked in this race.  Looking forward to March and race #3 in the series!

Congratulations on a great race!
2020-02-17 10:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Well...I got my first taste of Trail Running/Ultra Running this weekend.  I had two running friends in the Ultra race in addition to my brother.  I felt bad hitting up all out friends to Pace my brother because I figured that would leave no one to pace either of them.  My brother banged up his knee at about mile 30 and then pulled out of the race at mile 53.  So...the three pacers that we had lined up for my brother took over pacing for my other two friends that were in the race.  Two guys jumped in with Dusty who didn't have any pacers.  I jumped in with Marcus, who I didn't think had any pacers.  He said that he was going to run another loop (20 miles) with another guy.  I assumed the other guy was another racer who was at about his speed but figured out pretty soon that he was a pacer who was doing 40 miles with Marcus.  I only paced with them for 2-1/2 hours but learned a lot from pacing with a premiere pacer.  When I left them at 4:30 AM they had about a 3-1/3 to 4-hour segment ahead of them and they were going to try to get back by 8:00 AM so that John, the pacer, could do the half marathon at 8:00 AM the next morning.  Marcs was the course record hold going into the event.  He was in second place when I left them.  I saw his finish time but didn't look up the race results to see how everyone did.  So...back to Triathlon training now.  :-)  I only ran about 2 miles a day last week. 

">HERE is Marcus' Facebook Post.  I made the feed as a Pacer.  Wahoo!  When I do my Ultra I am going to be contacting John to be my pacer though.  He was the real deal.  I was just the Rookie in Training.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-02-17 10:07 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127