BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-30 6:04 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Hi all! Checking in. I have been madly trying to get a microbiology lab unit transitioned to onine...lots of photos and videos of what the students would have seen, had they performed the lab tasks themselves! I have one more lab to get online by Friday. My current co-workers are extremely demanding of my time. Usually at least one is curled up next to or on top of me, while another is using their nose to lift my hand atop their head.  While I am trying to type. They do take naps, however, so that is good. Now if they would just stop yelling everytime they hear a noise outside...

Currently in a bit of an argument with some of my department. I feel as though we should postpone all student practicums (I have had 10/21 sites postpone themselves already). Others feel as though if the students can get the experience they should and are talking of encouraging those that have been canceled to seek out new placements. I am strongly advocating against this...aren't we supposed to be practicing social distancing? Problem is, it will postpone students graduation. I say so what, people are dying! /rant

Trying to keep up with training. Two races have been canceled already (aquabike and trail run). I agree with what others have said--I totally get it, the right decision for sure, but it is disappointing. Hoping we will get to race IMC in late August, but who knows.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

2020-03-30 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by ceilidh I called to cancel my reservation. The hilton has a wonderful recording explaining that, due to the current situation, people are working from home so please understand if you hear pets or children in the background. That made me smile.

Funny, as part of my real job, I wrote a similar script for our Care agents to say if they had unexpected background noise. My company sent 2,000+ call center agents to work from home over the past 3 weeks - unprecedented! But seems to be working well!

Interesting. I am wondering how that may change the future work enviroment. My current employer never wanted to hear about remote work (private university), but recently started allowing some folks, due to lack of actual physical office space... Now almost all of us are working from home. And it seems to work really well. So far absolutely everyone is responsive, the work is being done.
My departmnt always struggles with finding new lab space, and places for new students. Having some admin folks working from home would definitely help solving the problem...

Listening to anyone competent regarding COVID 19 we have another 18 months for this thing to run it's course. I think that we will have to adapt the way we all do business to both get through this and keep the economy moving.
One of my jobs is in a prosecutor's office. I've been there for 15 months and the entire time I have been fighting an uphill battle to modernize it. Little things like changing our computers which are 10 years old and run on Windows 7 have been difficult. The whole concepts of electronic files, cloud storage and working remotely are just short of voodoo.
Now that Michigan is on lock down it's very clear that we have to change the way we do business. The current process has me going into the office everyday, dropping off the work from the day before and picking up more work for the next day. We can't share everything, if I take home a file no one else can work on it. It's cumbersome and slow. None of this really increases costs, and would make us more efficient.
2020-03-31 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are you guys thinking? At first I was like, let's just rip the band-aid off and do August. Then I was like, do I want to train for another event that might not even happen?  Not really.  Plus Chattanooga was miserably hot in September -- it's certainly not going to be cooler in August. OK, let's look at North Carolina. It has the advantage of being close.  They want how much for a hotel room?!  In October?! Are they insane?  Then I was like, OK maybe May 2021...  I mean, I did sign up for a wet suit swim (not gonna happen in August!)

Like Ann-Marie, I kind of want to do an 2020 event. I have been looking forward to trying new things in 2021 and right now, 2021 is shaping up a do over of my plans for this year :-(

What are your thoughts?

2020-03-31 7:55 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are you guys thinking? At first I was like, let's just rip the band-aid off and do August. Then I was like, do I want to train for another event that might not even happen?  Not really.  Plus Chattanooga was miserably hot in September -- it's certainly not going to be cooler in August. OK, let's look at North Carolina. It has the advantage of being close.  They want how much for a hotel room?!  In October?! Are they insane?  Then I was like, OK maybe May 2021...  I mean, I did sign up for a wet suit swim (not gonna happen in August!)

Like Ann-Marie, I kind of want to do an 2020 event. I have been looking forward to trying new things in 2021 and right now, 2021 is shaping up a do over of my plans for this year :-(

What are your thoughts?

you know mine. I am a 2021. I wanted to have my one and done 70.3 this year. Evidently 2021 is the new 2020. I deferred and cancelled my hotel FWIE, you can't book over a year ahead at the hilton garden..i would have cancelled the race alt together if it weren't for losing the money. I am less than thrilled with the options presented
2020-03-31 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are your thoughts?

I just don't think 2020 is viable. I suppose there is an outside chance that late August will be ok as the heat and humidity could knock this thing down a bit, but it isn't going away for a long time. When temps cool, it is coming back, so the fall races are, IMHO, really, really in danger of not happening. It's possible by then we will have a better approach to the virus, may be able to do more targeted shut-downs etc, but large gatherings like IM races and the big marathons probably won't/shouldn't happen. 

So, as much as I don't want to do it, I'm deferring.   I will keep my fingers crossed that the summer will allow some smaller local events. If not, that's ok I'll have a break from racing. It's been a lot of years without a break, so I'll use it as an opportunity to just train as I want and save some $$ on entry fees!

With deferring I will keep my fingers crossed that next winter's resurgence of COVID-19 doesn't shut us completely down again! Hopefully, we listen to the experts going forward!

2020-03-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by ceilidh I called to cancel my reservation. The hilton has a wonderful recording explaining that, due to the current situation, people are working from home so please understand if you hear pets or children in the background. That made me smile.

Funny, as part of my real job, I wrote a similar script for our Care agents to say if they had unexpected background noise. My company sent 2,000+ call center agents to work from home over the past 3 weeks - unprecedented! But seems to be working well!

Interesting. I am wondering how that may change the future work enviroment. My current employer never wanted to hear about remote work (private university), but recently started allowing some folks, due to lack of actual physical office space... Now almost all of us are working from home. And it seems to work really well. So far absolutely everyone is responsive, the work is being done. My departmnt always struggles with finding new lab space, and places for new students. Having some admin folks working from home would definitely help solving the problem...
Listening to anyone competent regarding COVID 19 we have another 18 months for this thing to run it's course. I think that we will have to adapt the way we all do business to both get through this and keep the economy moving. One of my jobs is in a prosecutor's office. I've been there for 15 months and the entire time I have been fighting an uphill battle to modernize it. Little things like changing our computers which are 10 years old and run on Windows 7 have been difficult. The whole concepts of electronic files, cloud storage and working remotely are just short of voodoo. Now that Michigan is on lock down it's very clear that we have to change the way we do business. The current process has me going into the office everyday, dropping off the work from the day before and picking up more work for the next day. We can't share everything, if I take home a file no one else can work on it. It's cumbersome and slow. None of this really increases costs, and would make us more efficient.

My agency is sort of up to date enough that makes working remotely not too, too bad. However, bc we are a law enforcement agency with lots of sensitive information there are lots of rules and some barriers to accessing everything when remote. We also have digitized all our litigation files. But, on the whole when i work from home I can be somewhat productive. 

2020-03-31 8:08 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Hi all! Checking in. I have been madly trying to get a microbiology lab unit transitioned to onine...lots of photos and videos of what the students would have seen, had they performed the lab tasks themselves! I have one more lab to get online by Friday. My current co-workers are extremely demanding of my time. Usually at least one is curled up next to or on top of me, while another is using their nose to lift my hand atop their head.  While I am trying to type. They do take naps, however, so that is good. Now if they would just stop yelling everytime they hear a noise outside...

Currently in a bit of an argument with some of my department. I feel as though we should postpone all student practicums (I have had 10/21 sites postpone themselves already). Others feel as though if the students can get the experience they should and are talking of encouraging those that have been canceled to seek out new placements. I am strongly advocating against this...aren't we supposed to be practicing social distancing? Problem is, it will postpone students graduation. I say so what, people are dying! /rant

Trying to keep up with training. Two races have been canceled already (aquabike and trail run). I agree with what others have said--I totally get it, the right decision for sure, but it is disappointing. Hoping we will get to race IMC in late August, but who knows.

In the US the projections from the good Drs Fauci and Birx is that if we do everything right we can expect b/w 100-220k deaths. Not doing lock downs etc we can expect 2 million deaths. We are not doing everything right -just look at beaches, churches, states who have yet to get on board. Fingers crossed the Drs' pleas are taken even more seriously and we start acting like responsible humans.  I don't know what the projections are for Canada, but I assume you all need to take things seriously too. So tell your "others" to start acting like responsible people! My .02!!   

2020-03-31 8:19 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are your thoughts?

I just don't think 2020 is viable. I suppose there is an outside chance that late August will be ok as the heat and humidity could knock this thing down a bit, but it isn't going away for a long time. When temps cool, it is coming back, so the fall races are, IMHO, really, really in danger of not happening. It's possible by then we will have a better approach to the virus, may be able to do more targeted shut-downs etc, but large gatherings like IM races and the big marathons probably won't/shouldn't happen. 

So, as much as I don't want to do it, I'm deferring.   I will keep my fingers crossed that the summer will allow some smaller local events. If not, that's ok I'll have a break from racing. It's been a lot of years without a break, so I'll use it as an opportunity to just train as I want and save some $$ on entry fees!

With deferring I will keep my fingers crossed that next winter's resurgence of COVID-19 doesn't shut us completely down again! Hopefully, we listen to the experts going forward!

I agree that 2020 events may not be viable -- especially larger events.  Maybe we an sneak in some local events but nothing with thousands of participants + volunteers seems likely. I feel bad for the marathon people who were deferred from spring to fall :-(

All of the projects are for the first wave and we are likely to have several waves of this before we have an effective vaccine. Hopefully, we'll have more treatment options more quickly.

2020-03-31 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are your thoughts?

I agree that 2020 events may not be viable -- especially larger events.  Maybe we an sneak in some local events but nothing with thousands of participants + volunteers seems likely. I feel bad for the marathon people who were deferred from spring to fall :-(

All of the projects are for the first wave and we are likely to have several waves of this before we have an effective vaccine. Hopefully, we'll have more treatment options more quickly.

Yep, so I'm not putting myself through training for a race that probably won't happen! Deferral done. It was a very painless process.

2020-03-31 10:33 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Interesting. I am wondering how that may change the future work enviroment. My current employer never wanted to hear about remote work (private university), but recently started allowing some folks, due to lack of actual physical office space... Now almost all of us are working from home. And it seems to work really well. So far absolutely everyone is responsive, the work is being done. My departmnt always struggles with finding new lab space, and places for new students. Having some admin folks working from home would definitely help solving the problem...

I think a lot of people are thinking about this... jobs that were once deemed absolutely not eligible for remote work are now doing quite well remotely since we've been forced into it. I'm definitely going to push for 2-3 days remote after all of this (I was previously only one day a week remote). 

2020-03-31 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like Nate's event -- IM 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge -- was also postponed as was IM 70.3 CT.  I guess that makes Des Moines the next one up...

Edited by jmkizer 2020-03-31 10:38 AM

2020-03-31 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like Nate's event -- IM 70.3 Virginia Blue Ridge -- was also postponed as was IM 70.3 CT.  I guess that makes Des Moines the next one up...

Sorry, I scrolled past Eagleman and Wisconsin 70.3.  Anyway, those are the next three.

2020-03-31 10:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I agree that 2020 events may not be viable -- especially larger events. 

I'm slowly prepping myself for IM Wisconsin not happening in September. I'll stay the course on training until I hear otherwise, but I'm having a hard time imagining things will be back to normal by then.

All though... I did just register for the Peachtree Road Race (largest 10K in the world) for July 4... fully anticipating it will just be a donation to the Atlanta Track Club. 

Edited by lisac957 2020-03-31 10:43 AM
2020-03-31 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For those of you who are riding your trainers more but are not using Zwift/TrainerRoad/TheSufferfest, here is an offer for you

The Sufferfest is free for six weeks with the following code:

To make sure everyone can benefit from these plans, we're offering new users a free month in addition to the standard 14-day trial, so you can get oriented in the app and complete a 4-week plan for free. Just use promo code ALLINSUFPLAN when you create your subscription.

2020-03-31 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

For those of you who are riding your trainers more but are not using Zwift/TrainerRoad/TheSufferfest, here is an offer for you

To make sure everyone can benefit from these plans, we're offering new users a free month in addition to the standard 14-day trial, so you can get oriented in the app and complete a 4-week plan for free. Just use promo code ALLINSUFPLAN when you create your subscription.

Amazing offer! Sufferfest is really coming out with some neats things. 

2020-03-31 1:03 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella

Listening to anyone competent regarding COVID 19 we have another 18 months for this thing to run it's course. I think that we will have to adapt the way we all do business to both get through this and keep the economy moving.
One of my jobs is in a prosecutor's office. I've been there for 15 months and the entire time I have been fighting an uphill battle to modernize it. Little things like changing our computers which are 10 years old and run on Windows 7 have been difficult. The whole concepts of electronic files, cloud storage and working remotely are just short of voodoo.
Now that Michigan is on lock down it's very clear that we have to change the way we do business. The current process has me going into the office everyday, dropping off the work from the day before and picking up more work for the next day. We can't share everything, if I take home a file no one else can work on it. It's cumbersome and slow. None of this really increases costs, and would make us more efficient.

Our court has been the statewide pilot project for e-filing in criminal cases for the past year. It has been a steep learning curve for everyone for the past year. But now that we are in the situation we are in with things mostly shut down, we are actually glad to have it, faults and all.

2020-03-31 1:06 PM

I wish they would get their Android app developed. I've seen promises on the web going back a couple years to getting an Android app, but still nothing. I am actually considering switching over to Trainer Road just for the Android capability.
2020-03-31 1:33 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

I wish they would get their Android app developed. I've seen promises on the web going back a couple years to getting an Android app, but still nothing. I am actually considering switching over to Trainer Road just for the Android capability.

yes, I understand that is a big issue! For some reason, they keep running into problems with it. I saw them address the issue in the comments section after the DCRainmaker article about the various training apps. I just glanced at it though so don't know the full response!

2020-03-31 1:41 PM

yes, I understand that is a big issue! For some reason, they keep running into problems with it. I saw them address the issue in the comments section after the DCRainmaker article about the various training apps. I just glanced at it though so don't know the full response!

Zwift, oddly enough, made me motion sick watching it on ipad. I like Sufferfest because it's just a workout and done, not racing (although I get that's the attraction for lots of folks to Zwift). I also like the yoga/stretching on Sufferfest, but that's plenty available on youtube. Maybe my reasons for switching are lame, but my ipad can't run Sufferfest and Amazon prime video at the same time. I want to be able to have my bike app run from my phone. Since I just do the canned workouts, I'm thinking TR might work just as well, only cost $5 more a month.
2020-03-31 1:51 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Zwift, oddly enough, made me motion sick watching it on ipad. I like Sufferfest because it's just a workout and done, not racing (although I get that's the attraction for lots of folks to Zwift). I also like the yoga/stretching on Sufferfest, but that's plenty available on youtube. Maybe my reasons for switching are lame, but my ipad can't run Sufferfest and Amazon prime video at the same time. I want to be able to have my bike app run from my phone. Since I just do the canned workouts, I'm thinking TR might work just as well, only cost $5 more a month.

If it gets you on the trainer it's not lame! Trainer Road is a great product too. I understand they just came out with the ability for you to do workouts with up to 5 of your friends. As i understand it, you all do the same workout and the program keeps you all together. You can see each others' power and each other. That sounds pretty cool!

2020-03-31 2:01 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by IronOx

In the US the projections from the good Drs Fauci and Birx is that if we do everything right we can expect b/w 100-220k deaths. Not doing lock downs etc we can expect 2 million deaths. We are not doing everything right -just look at beaches, churches, states who have yet to get on board. Fingers crossed the Drs' pleas are taken even more seriously and we start acting like responsible humans.  I don't know what the projections are for Canada, but I assume you all need to take things seriously too. So tell your "others" to start acting like responsible people! My .02!!   

Yeah, it's weird because we are being told to work from home as much as possible, but telling students to go out in the world. The nursing faculty has canceled their students practicums; how are vet tech practicums more important???

Our Provincial Health Officer has been cautiously optimistic about where we are, but thats because people have been mostly good. Granted, practicums don't start for another 3 weeks, but we ain't gonna be out of the woods by then, folks! 

2020-03-31 2:10 PM

User image

Master

I agree that 2020 events may not be viable -- especially larger events. 

I'm slowly prepping myself for IM Wisconsin not happening in September. I'll stay the course on training until I hear otherwise, but I'm having a hard time imagining things will be back to normal by then.

All though... I did just register for the Peachtree Road Race (largest 10K in the world) for July 4... fully anticipating it will just be a donation to the Atlanta Track Club. 

There is still lots of optimism for IMC happening in August.  I'm not sure if because our numbers are still 'relatively' low (less than 1000 confirmed cases, less than 100 deaths), or just people being hopeful. I don't think our numbers are low due to not testing, I think they are because a. we are way less populated than the US, b. our health officials got on it right away and c. people are mostly following the rules.

I have mixed feelings about the race--it's hard to train properly knowing it might not happen, not to mention there are more important things that need to be done right now. But at the same time, if the race CAN go (assuming restrictions are lifted, etc), I feel like it should. Helps to return life to normalcy. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I am not holding my breath.

Edited by IronOx 2020-03-31 2:18 PM
2020-03-31 2:22 PM

User image

Master

If it gets you on the trainer it's not lame! Trainer Road is a great product too. I understand they just came out with the ability for you to do workouts with up to 5 of your friends. As i understand it, you all do the same workout and the program keeps you all together. You can see each others' power and each other. That sounds pretty cool!

My training partner and I were going to use this, but we wanted to do a non-TR workout (i.e. one that was built by her coach). Instead, we start a Zoom meeting and start the workout at the same time.  Works well!

2020-03-31 2:25 PM

User image

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are your thoughts?

Pssst… Challenge Daytona... December 5...
2020-03-31 3:10 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

Chattanooga Peeps,

What are your thoughts?

Pssst… Challenge Daytona... December 5...

haha, that race has gotten lots of good reviews!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127