BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-06-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup is happening in Lake Lure! Judi and her husband are in town. Tomorrow we plan on the Chimney Rock State Park "stair stepper".

So much fun!

And soooo many stairs

2020-06-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just stopping in and catching up.

I've been able to get 6 swims in the last 3.5 weeks. The YMCA opens reservations 23 hours in advance & I've had no issues getting a mid to late morning lane. It's typically been me and1-2 others. The 6 a.m. lanes fill every day.

Gavel tires. My Journeyman came with 38 mm tires, and I already know I'd like to run 42s. I ride mainly on the sandy (often lose sandy) canal towpath, dirt roads with gravel, or pavement. The 38s are ok, but I do get a tiny bit nervous on looser gravel, so I ride really tentatively on it (and then get dropped by everyone).

Husband finally went back to work caddying on tour. 4 people on his tour tested positive for the Rona this week, so I'm sure more will follow. He's traveling & living in his van RV, so since he's not flying or staying in a hotel, we're hoping he can stay healthy.
2020-06-19 9:27 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I swam in actual water today! Went out to Cottage Grove Lake after biking and put in about 30 minutes. Felt great! Lakeside area was quite crowded so it was a bit of a challenge to avoid people getting out, but very few people were actually in the water, and only two others really swimming (as in continuous movement, in wetsuits) out on the buoy course. The first two minutes felt like swimming through molasses but after that I actually felt fine. I'm sure I'm horribly unfit and slow, but it's just so nice to be able to swim without pain that I don't notice anything else. Guessing that pool swim in wetsuit will probably feel harder, though.

In the process I met two other swimmers, one of which was another woman named Karen! Exchanged phone #'s after--another potential swim buddy.
2020-06-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerI swam in actual water today! Went out to Cottage Grove Lake after biking and put in about 30 minutes. Felt great! Lakeside area was quite crowded so it was a bit of a challenge to avoid people getting out, but very few people were actually in the water, and only two others really swimming (as in continuous movement, in wetsuits) out on the buoy course. The first two minutes felt like swimming through molasses but after that I actually felt fine. I'm sure I'm horribly unfit and slow, but it's just so nice to be able to swim without pain that I don't notice anything else. Guessing that pool swim in wetsuit will probably feel harder, though.In the process I met two other swimmers, one of which was another woman named Karen! Exchanged phone #'s after--another potential swim buddy.
that had to feel amazing!!!!!
2020-06-20 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncsJust stopping in and catching up.I've been able to get 6 swims in the last 3.5 weeks. The YMCA opens reservations 23 hours in advance & I've had no issues getting a mid to late morning lane. It's typically been me and1-2 others. The 6 a.m. lanes fill every day.Gavel tires. My Journeyman came with 38 mm tires, and I already know I'd like to run 42s. I ride mainly on the sandy (often lose sandy) canal towpath, dirt roads with gravel, or pavement. The 38s are ok, but I do get a tiny bit nervous on looser gravel, so I ride really tentatively on it (and then get dropped by everyone).Husband finally went back to work caddying on tour. 4 people on his tour tested positive for the Rona this week, so I'm sure more will follow. He's traveling & living in his van RV, so since he's not flying or staying in a hotel, we're hoping he can stay healthy.
it is good he has his RV for safely. Hope he stays virus-free.
2020-06-21 7:43 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Happy Father's Day to all the Manatee Dads.

2020-06-21 10:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Cypress, Texas

I made it out to a Duathlon on Saturday morning.  It was the fastest course I have ever been on.  Flat, smooth and not hardly a turn anywhere on the whole course.  I got to test out all my new Triathlon Gear and everything was awesome.  The event got some great photos.

2020-06-22 5:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I swam in actual water today! Went out to Cottage Grove Lake after biking and put in about 30 minutes. Felt great! Lakeside area was quite crowded so it was a bit of a challenge to avoid people getting out, but very few people were actually in the water, and only two others really swimming (as in continuous movement, in wetsuits) out on the buoy course. The first two minutes felt like swimming through molasses but after that I actually felt fine. I'm sure I'm horribly unfit and slow, but it's just so nice to be able to swim without pain that I don't notice anything else. Guessing that pool swim in wetsuit will probably feel harder, though. In the process I met two other swimmers, one of which was another woman named Karen! Exchanged phone #'s after--another potential swim buddy.

Nice! I know that you've been looking forward to getting back in the water. I hope that you found some swim buddies for the summer!

Pool today?

2020-06-22 5:43 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I made it out to a Duathlon on Saturday morning.  It was the fastest course I have ever been on.  Flat, smooth and not hardly a turn anywhere on the whole course.  I got to test out all my new Triathlon Gear and everything was awesome.  The event got some great photos.

Great picture! What a game face!

How large was the event? Did they do a good job with the distancing in the transition area and so on?

2020-06-22 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

How large was the event? Did they do a good job with the distancing in the transition area and so on?

x2!

2020-06-22 1:47 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

There were 111 people in this race.  That was a lot larger than the 18 people that we had at the Super Sprint Duathlon I did last month. This race was only about 45 minutes away from where the super sprint was and I think that the super sprint did a lot to set the stage for this race.  They did this race in waves of 20-25 people starting every 2 minutes to give people enough room to stand 6 feet apart from each other at the start.  The race didn't have any support on the run or bike course.  We had to carry all our water on the bike.  The run turn around (the only turn on the run) had a cooler of ice water and some paper cups but no volunteers to hand up water.  They didn't put finisher medal on us at the finish line and didn't take our timing chips.  We got our own finisher medal from a table at the finish area and put our timing chip in a big bin on our own.  There was no recovery food at the finish line.  Our swag bag had face masks with the club logo printed on them.  All the volunteers had masks on.  They were doing their best to make it a Corvid friendly event.  :-)  For the number of people that were there and the space we had for the event everything was pretty good.

2020-06-22 2:01 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice action shot that shows off that blue kit quite well!  How exciting, an actual, real event!

2020-06-22 5:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Nice action shot that shows off that blue kit quite well!  How exciting, an actual, real event!

That's one awesome photo!
I'm glad you got a chance to race. How was the experience of a race with restrictions?
2020-06-22 5:52 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Cool! There may be some small OWS events going on here this summer. Looking into it. It seems if you staggered the start well enough people would get spread out in a big lake, and it wouldn't be that hard to "socially distance". And I'm so out of swim shape that I'd probably be way behind most people anyway. (Those events don't just attract triathletes, but "real" swimmers. Even pre-injury, despite a modest background of age group and HS swimming and usually being in the top 10% of my AG on the swim, I would be WAY out of the FOP at those kinds of events.)
2020-06-24 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Hello Manatees,

I wanted to say hi and was happy to see the group was still going. I figured, "Once a Manatee, always a Manatee", if that's ok. I was a Manatee back in 2013-2015. I hope everyone is doing great and getting in all the training they can. I am hoping to pop in more as I am getting back to working out and looking at maybe some triathlons later this year. Currently working on training for a 100 mile gravel ride in October.

Cheers,

Jonathan
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1021659

2020-06-24 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Proof of Life!  I am in town today for a dr's appt, AND our public library is open again, so I have internet access.  The good news is that the debilitating back pain I have been suffering the last two weeks is NOT sciatica and should be easily treatable with some muscle relaxers and a little PT.

Our local Lumberjack tri (August 2nd) has been cancelled.  Maybe once I can start riding again I can find something in October or so.  If not, I shall have to content myself with training to build for 2021.

Further good news, I am not only maintaining my weight depsite no being able to get to the gym, I have actually LOST weight.  I weighed in at the dr's office at 360 even.  That's down 5 lbs in the last month and a half.  So psyched!  I don't get to follow you guys real well not having internet up on the mountain, so I'm just hoping everything is going well for you all and looking forward to regular training and internet in the future, I hope.

2020-06-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jbwills

Hello Manatees,

I wanted to say hi and was happy to see the group was still going. I figured, "Once a Manatee, always a Manatee", if that's ok. I was a Manatee back in 2013-2015. I hope everyone is doing great and getting in all the training they can. I am hoping to pop in more as I am getting back to working out and looking at maybe some triathlons later this year. Currently working on training for a 100 mile gravel ride in October.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Yup, the whole Once A Manatee thing still applies!  You have to share Alaska with another Manatee now though!

We do gravel talk, now you need to share! We want details!

2020-06-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Proof of Life!  I am in town today for a dr's appt, AND our public library is open again, so I have internet access.  The good news is that the debilitating back pain I have been suffering the last two weeks is NOT sciatica and should be easily treatable with some muscle relaxers and a little PT.

Our local Lumberjack tri (August 2nd) has been cancelled.  Maybe once I can start riding again I can find something in October or so.  If not, I shall have to content myself with training to build for 2021.

Further good news, I am not only maintaining my weight depsite no being able to get to the gym, I have actually LOST weight.  I weighed in at the dr's office at 360 even.  That's down 5 lbs in the last month and a half.  So psyched!  I don't get to follow you guys real well not having internet up on the mountain, so I'm just hoping everything is going well for you all and looking forward to regular training and internet in the future, I hope.

Thanks for checking in! It's great that you have been able to maintain your good pre-covid habits and continue your weight loss. That is awesome news!  I'm very sorry to hear about the back pain. I've there and it is no fun.

It's disappointing, but not surprising, that your August event was canceled.  I'm hopeful that you'll be able to get some good riding in and that will help with that loss -- I know that getting some good riding in helps me in most cases.

2020-06-24 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Hello Manatees,

Cheers,

Jonathan

Yup, the whole Once A Manatee thing still applies!  You have to share Alaska with another Manatee now though!

I am actually back in SE Tennessee now, no longer enjoying the Arctic North, but I want to go back.

My race in October. It is the 100 miler loop of the Michigan Coast to Coast (https://micoasttocoast.com/). It has a 212 mile trip across the state of Michigan. My friend in Michigan who i will be doing the 100 miler with is also looking at a couple longer rides next summer. We want to do 1 race/ride in MI and 1 in TN each year. Keep active as we grow old, and still maintain a friendship from High School.

I am doing about 80-100 miles a week between road and trail. On road I am using a 2001 Gary Fisher Tassaja mountain bike, and trail a 2020 Trek XCaliber 8. I am slowly stepping up miles and getting some great time in. On a couple longer rides I have averaged 12-14 mph on the bikes. I am going to try and pull in my Strava data to BT Training Log, but not sure how easy that will be. I want to get a gravel bike before next summer to make it easier for the longer rides. This weekend I am planning a 60-70 miles ride on Sunday to get some miles in and work some distance issues.

Once this COVID stuff slows I will also be doing rides occasionally in Kentucky as I go to Ft Knox for Reserve Drill once a month.

2020-06-24 9:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hello Manatees,

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan, hi, welcome back!  The pod always welcomes former manatees with open flippers [arms].  And how timely your gravel ride coincides with our ongoing gravel talk.

2020-06-24 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hello Manatees,

Cheers,

Jonathan

I am actually back in SE Tennessee now, no longer enjoying the Arctic North, but I want to go back.

My race in October. It is the 100 miler loop of the Michigan Coast to Coast (https://micoasttocoast.com/). It has a 212 mile trip across the state of Michigan. My friend in Michigan who i will be doing the 100 miler with is also looking at a couple longer rides next summer. We want to do 1 race/ride in MI and 1 in TN each year. Keep active as we grow old, and still maintain a friendship from High School.

I am doing about 80-100 miles a week between road and trail. On road I am using a 2001 Gary Fisher Tassaja mountain bike, and trail a 2020 Trek XCaliber 8. I am slowly stepping up miles and getting some great time in. On a couple longer rides I have averaged 12-14 mph on the bikes. I am going to try and pull in my Strava data to BT Training Log, but not sure how easy that will be. I want to get a gravel bike before next summer to make it easier for the longer rides. This weekend I am planning a 60-70 miles ride on Sunday to get some miles in and work some distance issues.

Once this COVID stuff slows I will also be doing rides occasionally in Kentucky as I go to Ft Knox for Reserve Drill once a month.

Well, in that case, welcome back to the lower 48!

I think that everyone here wants to get a gravel bike before next summer! In fact, there has been some talk of a Manatee Meetup for a gravel event next summer.

Strava > BT has been kind of .... painful. The best current solution that I know of is FitnessSyncer.  To be honest, FitnessSyner has been great going from Garmin > BT but only so-so in the Strava > BT category.  Of course you, can go strainght from Garmin to BT if you have a Garmin device.  Since FitnessSyncer automatically brings in the "sports" stuff (yoga, hike, etc.), I kept up with FitnessSyncer after my testing phase.

I've heard some good things about Michigan gravel. I'm sure that you'll have a great time!

2020-06-24 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Hello Manatees,

Cheers,

Jonathan

Welcome back to the pod! I heard "gravel talk" and my ears perked up. Some of our friends are doing the coast to coast as well. I think my husband would love to do the 100 mile option, although we're somewhat committed to an event in Iowa on that same date. Are you going to use the mountain bike for the Michigan event? There seems to be a lot of fat tire bikes at that event, which do well in the sandy conditions.
2020-06-24 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Congratulations on the weight loss! So sorry about the cancellation of your local tri, that seems to be the way many events are going this year.
2020-06-24 10:17 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Good to hear from you, Mike!  Great news on the weight loss and back pain (good news that it's treatable), but sorry to hear the race you were looking forward to is cancelled.  But like you said, keep on training for health with the intention/hope of being able to race in 2021.

2020-06-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Originally posted by abake  Welcome back to the pod! I heard "gravel talk" and my ears perked up. Some of our friends are doing the coast to coast as well. I think my husband would love to do the 100 mile option, although we're somewhat committed to an event in Iowa on that same date. Are you going to use the mountain bike for the Michigan event? There seems to be a lot of fat tire bikes at that event, which do well in the sandy conditions.

Right now I am looking at using the 2001 Gary Fisher Tassaja for the Coast to Coast. It has better gearing than my Trek. The crank is a 24/32/42, as opposed to a 34. I am thinking of increasing it to a 28/38/48 before the ride. It has an 8 speed cassette on it, which i can not find a replacement for yet, in the event it has to be replaced. It is a bit heavier than the Trek, but it has not been too bad. I just got myself some hybrid tires for it. They are smoother in the middle and have some slight knobs on the side. I am going to try those out this weekend.

I am also working on my shoulder fitness more this year. In 2016 I had a motorcycle accident that broke my collarbone. It had to be internally set for healing. I am hoping to get back to the pool before summers end. The bone repair has caused more flair ups of my bursitis in my right shoulder, so I am having to restrengthen everything.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127