BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-06-25 9:05 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

I'm not ready to go out an by a Whoop or an Oura but this is interesting.

PGA Tour procures 1,000 smart bands to help detect coronavirus symptoms in golfers

Nancy may have some insider info for us.

I've read something similar about Fitbit, etc. -- Wearable tech can spot coronavirus symptoms before you even realize you’re sick

I know that my watch keeps track of respiration and PulseOx so I look at those most days.  I kind of figure if the trend is bad, it's worth knowing about. So far, stable.  Waking respiration steady at 11 brpm, pulseox normal. 

2020-06-25 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What kind of watch does PulseOx? Interested not just because of Covid but asthma--sometimes with allergies I have low-grade symptoms and don't really realize I need my inhaler, just feel crappy through a workout and sometimes all day. That would probably help.
2020-06-25 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jbwills

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by jbwills

Hello Manatees,

I wanted to say hi and was happy to see the group was still going. I figured, "Once a Manatee, always a Manatee", if that's ok. I was a Manatee back in 2013-2015. I hope everyone is doing great and getting in all the training they can. I am hoping to pop in more as I am getting back to working out and looking at maybe some triathlons later this year. Currently working on training for a 100 mile gravel ride in October.

Cheers,

Jonathan
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1021659

Yup, the whole Once A Manatee thing still applies!  You have to share Alaska with another Manatee now though!

We do gravel talk, now you need to share! We want details!

I am actually back in SE Tennessee now, no longer enjoying the Arctic North, but I want to go back.

My race in October. It is the 100 miler loop of the Michigan Coast to Coast (https://micoasttocoast.com/). It has a 212 mile trip across the state of Michigan. My friend in Michigan who i will be doing the 100 miler with is also looking at a couple longer rides next summer. We want to do 1 race/ride in MI and 1 in TN each year. Keep active as we grow old, and still maintain a friendship from High School.

I am doing about 80-100 miles a week between road and trail. On road I am using a 2001 Gary Fisher Tassaja mountain bike, and trail a 2020 Trek XCaliber 8. I am slowly stepping up miles and getting some great time in. On a couple longer rides I have averaged 12-14 mph on the bikes. I am going to try and pull in my Strava data to BT Training Log, but not sure how easy that will be. I want to get a gravel bike before next summer to make it easier for the longer rides. This weekend I am planning a 60-70 miles ride on Sunday to get some miles in and work some distance issues.

Once this COVID stuff slows I will also be doing rides occasionally in Kentucky as I go to Ft Knox for Reserve Drill once a month.

You race starts about 30 minutes South of me. I have friends who rode this last year and had a blast. I don't know if they are going to do it again this year. The ride should be pancake flat, as it goes through Saginaw Valley and across farm country. Michigan "hills" are Tennessee flat.
2020-06-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees! i hope you're staying well! 

We are fine over here in Canada - our numbers have been steadily dropping (about 200 or less new cases a day in a large province with 14 million people) - we are only just starting to loosen restrictions so we have been pretty slow but that seems like a good thing at the moment. I am however super frustrated by the lack of help on the childcare front - our centre does not plan to open until September. Felicity's day camps were all cancelled. Leaving us with another 8-ish week of having my parents come from 2 hours away to be our nannies. They are awesome but my kids do need some socialization. It's been a long go. And i've read all the studies and information of what we know about the spread and contagion among kids and feel comfortable that our daycare would take the right precautions. Anyway, after a couple of super frustrated days i am okay - we'll get through this. It will be okay. Everyone is happy and healthy at the moment. 

As for training, i am still focusing on strength work and really enjoying it. Just started a new program called "6 Weeks of the Work" and it's kicking my butt in the best way. https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/programs/6-weeks-of-the-work/start-here

And i am finding daily exercise to help me with all the uncertainty and anxiety i feel. But i have gotten out for two runs in the last week - I finally have been getting the itch to get out again ... 

Also thinking about hiring a tri coach in the fall - thinking someone local. Given my above frustrations with daycare, the silver lining is how much money we've saved ... i would rather have safe childcare but there's not much to do about that. But that does make room for something like that. I had started the Fink program this winter for my HIM but found it boring. 

2020-06-25 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner What kind of watch does PulseOx? Interested not just because of Covid but asthma--sometimes with allergies I have low-grade symptoms and don't really realize I need my inhaler, just feel crappy through a workout and sometimes all day. That would probably help.

Last year, my watch died and I replaced it with a Forerunner 945 which happened to have PulseOx.

It looks like the following devices have it: Fenix 6X, Fenix 5X, Vivoactive 4 and Forerunner 245/645/945.

I have it set to check at night and it checks every hour or so when sleeping.  The spot checking is kind of iffy anyway because of the dead-to-the-world stillness required.  Since I am mostly looking for a trend, I think this is sufficient. Here's the FAQ from Garmin.

I do think that Garmin reads it a bit low. I usually get a 95% from Garmin overnight but if I check with a pulseox device (I used to use it for resting heart rate testing when I had my old watch), it reads 99% pretty consistently.  Again, for trends, I think that the 945 is sufficient.

2020-06-25 10:45 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees! i hope you're staying well! 

We are fine over here in Canada - our numbers have been steadily dropping (about 200 or less new cases a day in a large province with 14 million people) - we are only just starting to loosen restrictions so we have been pretty slow but that seems like a good thing at the moment. I am however super frustrated by the lack of help on the childcare front - our centre does not plan to open until September. Felicity's day camps were all cancelled. Leaving us with another 8-ish week of having my parents come from 2 hours away to be our nannies. They are awesome but my kids do need some socialization. It's been a long go. And i've read all the studies and information of what we know about the spread and contagion among kids and feel comfortable that our daycare would take the right precautions. Anyway, after a couple of super frustrated days i am okay - we'll get through this. It will be okay. Everyone is happy and healthy at the moment. 

As for training, i am still focusing on strength work and really enjoying it. Just started a new program called "6 Weeks of the Work" and it's kicking my butt in the best way. https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/programs/6-weeks-of-the-work/start-here

And i am finding daily exercise to help me with all the uncertainty and anxiety i feel. But i have gotten out for two runs in the last week - I finally have been getting the itch to get out again ... 

Also thinking about hiring a tri coach in the fall - thinking someone local. Given my above frustrations with daycare, the silver lining is how much money we've saved ... i would rather have safe childcare but there's not much to do about that. But that does make room for something like that. I had started the Fink program this winter for my HIM but found it boring. 

Oh my goodness, that *is* a long haul on the childcare front!

Regarding coaching, is Maine local enough? If so, I think that Anne and Randee have a coaching group to recommend. If not, I'm sure that your tri group has some leads.

2020-06-25 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
A lot of coaches (and probably most all these days) work online. I've worked with someone for the past four years and been really happy with her. She's based in Chicago, part of a group of several coaches called Multisport Mastery. It's not quite the same as having someone in person, but I actually prefer online coaching. Probably a matter of personal preference more than anything. I like the freedom to do workouts, log them, and otherwise communicate at my own convenience, and I dislike group workouts and having a coach or instructor in my face when I'm training. At the time I started working with my coach and for most of the time since, I've had access in other ways (master's clubs, colleagues who coach, tri club workouts, training camps and workshops) to things like feedback on my swim form and video analysis, which online coaching couldn't provide as easily. (But even for that, it's pretty easy to have someone shoot a video and upload it.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-06-25 5:41 PM
2020-06-25 8:14 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by glfprncs Just stopping in and catching up. I've been able to get 6 swims in the last 3.5 weeks. The YMCA opens reservations 23 hours in advance & I've had no issues getting a mid to late morning lane. It's typically been me and1-2 others. The 6 a.m. lanes fill every day. Gavel tires. My Journeyman came with 38 mm tires, and I already know I'd like to run 42s. I ride mainly on the sandy (often lose sandy) canal towpath, dirt roads with gravel, or pavement. The 38s are ok, but I do get a tiny bit nervous on looser gravel, so I ride really tentatively on it (and then get dropped by everyone). Husband finally went back to work caddying on tour. 4 people on his tour tested positive for the Rona this week, so I'm sure more will follow. He's traveling & living in his van RV, so since he's not flying or staying in a hotel, we're hoping he can stay healthy.

I meant to ask what kind of pressure you are running, and are you tubeless? 

2020-06-25 8:15 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I made it out to a Duathlon on Saturday morning.  It was the fastest course I have ever been on.  Flat, smooth and not hardly a turn anywhere on the whole course.  I got to test out all my new Triathlon Gear and everything was awesome.  The event got some great photos.

Great picture! What a game face!

How large was the event? Did they do a good job with the distancing in the transition area and so on?

x2!

x3 - Better late than never!

2020-06-26 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I have a Fenix 5 and it has the PulseOx sensor.  I bought it to help track my irregular heart rhythms (a-Fib).  It works really well and it is pretty accurate even when used as an instant read.  Jayne is correct on the other Garmin models. I am eyeing the new Fenix 6 model as it has some pretty cool stuff on it. Only downside is the $$$.  I also like the Garmin Connect software.  It tracks you HR for viewing on a computer, phone or tablet.  You might be able to spot some temp trends using it.   

2020-06-26 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner A lot of coaches (and probably most all these days) work online. I've worked with someone for the past four years and been really happy with her. She's based in Chicago, part of a group of several coaches called Multisport Mastery. It's not quite the same as having someone in person, but I actually prefer online coaching. Probably a matter of personal preference more than anything. I like the freedom to do workouts, log them, and otherwise communicate at my own convenience, and I dislike group workouts and having a coach or instructor in my face when I'm training. At the time I started working with my coach and for most of the time since, I've had access in other ways (master's clubs, colleagues who coach, tri club workouts, training camps and workshops) to things like feedback on my swim form and video analysis, which online coaching couldn't provide as easily. (But even for that, it's pretty easy to have someone shoot a video and upload it.)

I totally expect that i'll work mostly online with whichever coach i choose. It's just more that i know quite a few from my time being in triathlon and even my tri club which has been really financially impacted at this so i expect coaches to be as well, and my preference is to support someone local - the option to meet up is good but not essential for me ... 

2020-06-26 1:51 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Hot Runner A lot of coaches (and probably most all these days) work online. I've worked with someone for the past four years and been really happy with her. She's based in Chicago, part of a group of several coaches called Multisport Mastery. It's not quite the same as having someone in person, but I actually prefer online coaching. Probably a matter of personal preference more than anything. I like the freedom to do workouts, log them, and otherwise communicate at my own convenience, and I dislike group workouts and having a coach or instructor in my face when I'm training. At the time I started working with my coach and for most of the time since, I've had access in other ways (master's clubs, colleagues who coach, tri club workouts, training camps and workshops) to things like feedback on my swim form and video analysis, which online coaching couldn't provide as easily. (But even for that, it's pretty easy to have someone shoot a video and upload it.)

I totally expect that i'll work mostly online with whichever coach i choose. It's just more that i know quite a few from my time being in triathlon and even my tri club which has been really financially impacted at this so i expect coaches to be as well, and my preference is to support someone local - the option to meet up is good but not essential for me ... 

That makes sense!

2020-06-26 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree! At the time I started working with my coach, I was living in Vietnam and there were no tri coaches (at least anyone with any kind of formal qualifications) in the entire country! There was a coaching group in Singapore that might have worked but #1 It was really set up more for Singaporeans who attended group workouts and #2 (most problematic) Their most qualified coach was one of my main AG rivals! Just seemed too awkward....
2020-06-27 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner What kind of watch does PulseOx? Interested not just because of Covid but asthma--sometimes with allergies I have low-grade symptoms and don't really realize I need my inhaler, just feel crappy through a workout and sometimes all day. That would probably help.

Last year, my watch died and I replaced it with a Forerunner 945 which happened to have PulseOx.

It looks like the following devices have it: Fenix 6X, Fenix 5X, Vivoactive 4 and Forerunner 245/645/945.

I have it set to check at night and it checks every hour or so when sleeping.  The spot checking is kind of iffy anyway because of the dead-to-the-world stillness required.  Since I am mostly looking for a trend, I think this is sufficient. Here's the FAQ from Garmin.

I do think that Garmin reads it a bit low. I usually get a 95% from Garmin overnight but if I check with a pulseox device (I used to use it for resting heart rate testing when I had my old watch), it reads 99% pretty consistently.  Again, for trends, I think that the 945 is sufficient.

I have the Garmin vivofit 4. It does Pulseox as well. My Fenix 5s may or may not. I don't wear that all the time so I have never looked.

2020-06-27 10:23 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Next time I feel like spending money I may invest in a real Garmin with some of those bells and whistles. It would be nice to be able to measure all the OWS as well. I generally keep track of yards/meters as until now most of my swimming has been in a pool, and I'm really just guessing on lake swims. I don't think I have used my run Garmin for almost two years! And that was just because our tri club was having some kind of contest with other clubs about training mileage. I log my run training by time, know I'm way slower than in my youth, and just don't CARE what pace or how far I'm running anymore.
2020-06-28 1:37 PM

User image

Master

POL post. Hi everyone! Life, as usual, has gotten away from me. Schoolwork, work, training, etc, the usual.

My tri team had a 'race' day yesterday. There were 6 of us total, two did a sprint distance, four of us did some iteration of a HIM-ish swim/bike and a 12 km run. The swim was ocean and it was rocking and rolling! Not terrible, but one of the sprinters it was her first race. The beauty is that we swam to the pier and back, parallel to shore, and it was only about 3-4 feet deep, so any trouble and you just stand up . I had a good day, strong bike and was still able to run well. Not really anywhere near HIM shape, so happy to feel good!

Great race photo, Curtis!  Glad you had a good day.

Our YMCA has opened up as of Friday, but still no pool.  You have to restart your membership and call to schedule a time for your workout or class. My partner was doing yoga regularly prior to COVID, but we have a joint membership and I don't want to pay if I can't swim, so we are going to hold off for now. She is not great with 'schedules' anyway :D

I am back to work at my regular job tomorrow. I have my work cut out for me in the next couple of months, figuring out how to translate as much of our 'in-person' content to online as possible. We will absolutely have to have in person labs, but there is some parts that we can make into videos that the students will watch ahead of time. We are lucky in that our province (BC) has had very low numbers all the way and they remain low despite 're-opening'. Hopefully it stays that way into fall classes. We will have to wear PPE during labs, but we are mostly used to that anyway (masks, goggles and gloves when cleaning pets' teeth, masks for surgeries). It will just be a matter of not taking it off once we are done the procedure. Some of the bigger challenges are ensuring that the students aren't bunching up in the corridors etc. We have to make a plan and have it approved ahead of time. Like I said, work cut out for me

Melanie, loved your run challenge!  I did that once in a park near me--I wanted to run every trail once. That was all in one run, though, so waaaaaayyy smaller scale.

Karen, glad you got the pool thing worked out and got some swim slots. Definitely nice to get out to the lake as well.

Stay well, everyone and enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

2020-06-29 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy "last Monday of the month." It's tme for another meetup opportunity!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

2020-06-29 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

I know everyone is largely triathlon orientated, but hopefully you guys can help. I am riding 3 days a week with a friend who is just getting back into shape. On those rides I barely reach cardio heart rate, riding with him my heart rate is around 85-105 bpm. What can I do during those rides to help keep them beneficial in my training? I have been doing "technique" rides of keeping core tight, focus on pedaling and avoid "dead" spots, pedaling the full circle, breathing control.

What else can I do? or where else can I look for some of those things.

2020-06-29 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It might not get heart rate up that high, but you could ride mostly in a bigger gear than normal and focus on strength.
2020-06-29 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Hot RunnerIt might not get heart rate up that high, but you could ride mostly in a bigger gear than normal and focus on strength.
That was going to be my suggestion too.
2020-06-29 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

I'm going to have to miss today. I just got back from the Skin doc. She did some removal of stuff from my lip and I am now unable to speak. Or eat.

2020-06-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm going to have to miss today. I just got back from the Skin doc. She did some removal of stuff from my lip and I am now unable to speak. Or eat.

That's a rough weight loss plan!

Seriously, I hope that you are OK.  Stay safe!

2020-06-29 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
POL post!
Same old same old for me. No real motivation for working out, although I'm trying to make a better effort of it since last week. I'm getting better at baking bread, we painted the guest bedroom, replaced lights in the basement and kitchen, installed a ceiling fan, and my fridge in pretty consistently full of home brewed kombucha now.
It doesn't look anything like the life I thought I would have for 2020, but that's the same hand everyone has been dealt. I do need to check in with my doctor and maybe get my meds tweaked, as I am not handling stress as well I I'd like to. Might need a higher dose on the antidepressant or something.
I do feel lucky to be in a state where COVID numbers aren't rising. Having a doctor as governor seems to have been a good call.
I'm rarely on BT, but I do enjoy seeing many fellow manatees post on IG and FB. You're all in my thoughts often, even if I don't say anything.
2020-06-29 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

That's a rough weight loss plan!

Seriously, I hope that you are OK.  Stay safe!

Yeah, the inability to open my mouth may slow me down, but I am undeterred! This may not be much fun, but I do look funny, so there is that.

2020-06-29 2:18 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia POL post! Same old same old for me. No real motivation for working out, although I'm trying to make a better effort of it since last week. I'm getting better at baking bread, we painted the guest bedroom, replaced lights in the basement and kitchen, installed a ceiling fan, and my fridge in pretty consistently full of home brewed kombucha now. It doesn't look anything like the life I thought I would have for 2020, but that's the same hand everyone has been dealt. I do need to check in with my doctor and maybe get my meds tweaked, as I am not handling stress as well I I'd like to. Might need a higher dose on the antidepressant or something. I do feel lucky to be in a state where COVID numbers aren't rising. Having a doctor as governor seems to have been a good call. I'm rarely on BT, but I do enjoy seeing many fellow manatees post on IG and FB. You're all in my thoughts often, even if I don't say anything.

Thanks for checking in!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127