Other Resources 2020 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page

of 83

2020-06-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!
Yay, mini meetup! 

2020-06-04 10:36 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!
Yay, mini meetup! 

2020-06-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We had a great time meeting you and Jim and Raven. Thanks so much for spending the afternoon with us and for taking us to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery.

I mentioned the gravel ride that I did the the parkway (Wash Creek Road) -- from North Mills River Rec Area to the parkway. It was all seated climb on the way up. I rode on the BRP a bit and turned back when I got to a tunnel that required lights.

Today, I road Fletcher Creek Road, also from the Mills River Rec area (but we left from the Spencer Gap parking area rather than the bottom). It was a quiet ride -- 100% gated forest road. It looks like a lot of people may take the single track to Hendersonville Reservoir Road because after that turn off, Fletcher Creek Road was really overgrown.

Photos of both rides in training blog.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-06-04 10:49 AM
2020-06-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Yay, mini meetup! 

We want to know when you are coming down!

2020-06-04 12:27 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Yay, mini meetup! 

If I'd have known you guys were going to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery, I'd have been there! 

2020-06-04 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Yay, mini meetup! 

If I'd have known you guys were going to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery, I'd have been there! 

You know you have a place(s) to stay. Come-on!

2020-06-05 4:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois

We had a great time meeting you and Jim and Raven. Thanks so much for spending the afternoon with us and for taking us to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery.

I mentioned the gravel ride that I did the the parkway (Wash Creek Road) -- from North Mills River Rec Area to the parkway. It was all seated climb on the way up. I rode on the BRP a bit and turned back when I got to a tunnel that required lights.

Today, I road Fletcher Creek Road, also from the Mills River Rec area (but we left from the Spencer Gap parking area rather than the bottom). It was a quiet ride -- 100% gated forest road. It looks like a lot of people may take the single track to Hendersonville Reservoir Road because after that turn off, Fletcher Creek Road was really overgrown.

Looks like a fun afternoon and so sweet that you were able to meet Robin's family! When I looked at the pics of the overgrown gravel road, I had to wonder what the bug situation is like there? Right now we have the dreaded Buffalo Gnats --- it's about 2 weeks when just stepping outside is a gamble
2020-06-05 8:25 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by abake

Looks like a fun afternoon and so sweet that you were able to meet Robin's family! When I looked at the pics of the overgrown gravel road, I had to wonder what the bug situation is like there? Right now we have the dreaded Buffalo Gnats --- it's about 2 weeks when just stepping outside is a gamble

Buffalo Gnats - what are they, I'm not familiar?  They do not sound pleasant!

2020-06-05 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Like black flies in Michigan? I remember when I was a kid, trying to run around the lake near where my dad grew up, and almost getting eaten alive!
2020-06-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Like black flies in Michigan? I remember when I was a kid, trying to run around the lake near where my dad grew up, and almost getting eaten alive!

Ooooh, that sounds awful! It might be the same insect, or something very similar. They are kind of new in this area --- seems like they showed up about 10 years ago.
2020-06-05 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Buffalo Gnats - what are they, I'm not familiar?  They do not sound pleasant!

Buffalo gnats are mean little buggars --- I think they are actually a fly but are very very small and they usually show up in late May and stick around until it warms up. They are voracious biters and some people (myself included) get huge welts that itch worse than mosquito bites. They also will bite animals and go for the thin skin around the ears where there's not much fur. One of my friends actually has had to go to the ER after being bitten, she gets some kind of anaphalytic (sp?) reaction. Ugh, there's just nothing good about these bugs!

2020-06-05 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Black flies are like that, but bigger. I'd end up covered in purplish welts. They didn't like to bite my dad nearly as much as me. Maybe as I was younger and more tender!
2020-06-05 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No bugs to speak of. We did do a post ride (and post shower) tick check just in case.  Kevin said that he did have some bugs while he was fixing his flat but nothing to speak of really.  FWIW, we forgot to put on bug spray.

New Thread
Other Resources 2020 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 83