Other Resources 2020 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page

of 92

2020-07-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

McAlester, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Sending Karen gets some good swim slots zen your way!

2X

2020-07-02 3:45 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by fortissimo

Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?

Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there.
I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive

I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming?

If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike.

Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.
2020-07-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Highland Park, Illinois

Originally posted by marysia83

Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?

Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there.
I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive

I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming?

If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike.

Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.

Um... ok, you convinced me... no swimming in CC....
I will wait until the other two are open
2020-07-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Eeeewwww! Glad for my Cottage Grove Lake. Very few waterfowl.... That was an issue in Boise at Quinn's Pond though, if I didn't shower off quickly enough. I came very close to running into ducks or geese a couple of times.

I did manage to get the slots I wanted, although at one point (was told to check back with them after swimming) found out I was #253. No idea how that happens....Apparently their system can take 50 calls at a time. To be on top you just have to happen to get through exactly when their line opens, and not a second before. Ugh. Anyway, the schedule lady said there is less demand for mid-day slots, due to people working, and not wanting to get fried. (Mid-day in summer in Oregon is actually usually sunny!)

Good to go for the next two weeks, untilI get to repeat this madness again!
2020-07-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Hot Runner Maybe being overly cautious but it just seems there's so much we don't know about this virus. First they said people can't spread if asymptomatic, and now they can.... Now they say that pools are safe, but... I think an indoor pool at this point is a risk. 

Everything I've read (of course as you note, subject to change as we learn) indicates pools themselves are fine:
There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, or water playgrounds. Additionally, proper operation of these aquatic venues and disinfection of the water (with chlorine or bromine) should inactivate the virus.

And the rest depends on your gym set up I suppose. For me, when I get out of my car I'm greeted at the open doors by staff in masks who do a no-touch temperature check. I scan my key card (touchless) to check in. I am required to wear a mask until I begin working out. All doors inside the facility are open (so no touching any surface whatsoever) and locker rooms are closed. Water fountains are shut off. You walk directly to the pool area (again, open doors, no surfaces, handles or door knobs to be touched), put your stuff on the ground and swim all the laps. The only surface you would potentially touch is the single-stall restroom door, but hopefully you are washing your hands and using a paper towel to turn the door knob as you exit. 

I know not everyone's indoor pool set up is like this, but in my mind a situation like this is an extremely low risk.

That sounds like about as safe a situation as you can get, Lisa.  I'd feel comfortable with that.

Speaking of swimming, I'm not sure where/how I'll swim once we're allowed to.  My YMCA is in dire, dire straights and may not re-open.  I think the other YMCAs in the area are in trouble, too, and are a much farther drive. 

My only other options would be get my friends to let me into F&M when they can (read: sporadically) or re-join the masters group there which really isn't my fave choice.  They guy who runs it now caters to his tri-gang (I mean 'tribe' ~sarcasm~) and doesn't offer much if any individual attention, not to mention the lanes are so full there's typically 5-6 people in a lane, the least being 4 occasionally.  F&M is such a great facility and has the coolest water around which I love, plus it isn't super-chlorinated like the Y and I don't sneeze and blow my nose the rest of the day after swimming there. 

Final resort would be get a pool membership at the Rec center which isn't the greatest choice, either, because the water and pool room is ridiculously hot plus since I'm not a resident of the district I'd have to pay a lot more.  

2020-07-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Pictures of cats in sinks made my Friday! 

2020-07-03 6:47 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Sigh--I don't know what I will do for swimming when the weather gets colder and if/when normal work resumes and I have to squeeze already limited access into very limited hours. (School's a whole other can of worms. I think our district, and a whole lot of others, were really basing their planning on things being considerably "better" by fall, and more and more it's looking like, at least in our neck of the woods, it might be a whole lot worse. It's really a dilemma--all but the most medically vulnerable kids would probably be better off back in school. But that's a real problem for many of the teachers and other school staff, as well as family members in high-risk groups. And so many of the recommended precautions just aren't realistic financially, logistically, or developmentally. What a mess!)

Does anyone here have any experience with tethered swimming and/or endless pools? I might have access to the former at someone's house; the same person also has an endless pool motor (or whatever the current thingie is) from a previous pool that they could possibly loan or sell me. Do the pool and "treadmill" component need to be bought/installed as a unit, or can you install the "treadmill" separately into a small spa-type pool? Just thinking about it..... I really, really need my pool time.It's not so much a matter of keeping in swim shape or elbow rehab, but just keeping my 50+ body in gear--legs, back, etc. really were feeling it when I couldn't swim!
2020-07-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Marysia,

Yay for the move! My husband grew up in Dam East which is right where it sounds....east of the dam at Cherry Creek Reservoir.

Enjoy!
New Thread
Other Resources 2020 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 92