User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella Two exciting pieces of news. My wife was given the COVID Vaccine yesterday and gets the second dose in 3 weeks. I asked her to take one for me, but she wouldn't. She thinks It should be available to me in a couple of weeks, I get to be tier 2 because of my job a a prosecutor. Plus only about half of the people eligible to receive the shot here a taking it. Second, I puller the trigger on a new bike. It should be delivered in 8-10 weeks. I bought a Pinarello Bolide. It has disk breaks, electronic shifters and it's orange. It will be my first new bike since I was 13 years old.

Welcome back! 

New Bike! Pinarello!  NICE!!!

New Vaccine!

P.S. I thought that NC was bad with 25% of eligible people taking a pass.  50% is not so good, is it?  Did she get the Pfizer or Moderna one?  Any side effects worse than a flu shot in a bad year?  Just curious since goodness knows if I got the Pfizer placebo or the Pfizer vaccine.

She got the Moderna vaccine. No side effects other than some arm soreness at the shot location, similar to the flu shot. Just under half of their staff except the COVID, ER, and ICU staff have said they don't want it. She suspects that her medical system is going to make it mandatory, as a condition of their employment, like they do the flu shot. She had some medical testing a couple of weeks ago and she was talking to about 4 other people in the waiting room. All of the other 4 were people who were at risk and none of them wanted the shot. The worst was the 54 year old male who was dangerously obese, has asthma, wheelchair bound and one leg who was concerned because of birth defects. Michelle told him I don't know about you but I am way past the age of worrying about birth defects. She told him she wasn't worried about getting autism either. smh.

why are people so dumb?! At my agency a survey found 50% would take the vaccine. I doubt we’ll make it mandatory, but wish we would! My sister got the moderna vaccine Monday - she is a pediatrician, lives in Ohio. She said the only side effect was she grew a second head . Ive heard that it is the 2d shot that may cause more people to feel like yuck for 12-24 hrs.  Guess we’ll find out in a few weeks.

Congrats on the new bike Jim. An Orange bike is fast!

Jim! yay for the new bike! And seriously, good on your wife for talking to that guy - seriously worried about birth defects??? i need that facepalm emoji when i hear things like this. Don't people hear themselves sometimes?? 

2020-12-31 11:33 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The Covid vaccine side effects sound a lot like those for the Japanese encephalitis vaccine, which is not commonly given in the US except to military and at a few travel clinics. The disease is common in SE Asia so I had a Chinese-made vaccine in Vietnam. There's also some risk of severe reactions so they keep you in the waiting room for 15-30 minutes after, which is a little disconcerting! I had a typical reaction to that shot (like the Covid shot, worse after the second dose--it's on a similar timetable) and it would still be preferable to having JE or Covid. Basically like having a mild case of the flu for 12-18 hours. A few hours of rather intense chills and mild nausea, then about a day of feeling tired and achy. Muscle soreness near the shot for a few days. Have had a few students and colleagues pass out from the nausea after shot #2--it was pretty common for a kid to be lying in the reading corner for an afternoon after one of those shots!

If the Covid jab was like that I would probably try not to drive for 24 hours as the effects can come on rather suddenly. But still.....better than Covid. If anything like the JE shot, I think it may be a challenge to get people to come back for shot #2. I remember it was really not easy for me to go get that knowing I'd probably feel worse than after shot #1!

I don't know what's going on with our schools. In the last legislative session (while the capitol was surrounded by armed militia trying to break in), the governor basically threw out all the health metrics for opening schools (we were nowhere close to meeting them), said they were "advisory" only, and left that decision open to local school boards. I feel like she caved in to save her political (and quite possibly physical) a$$. Our district claims they are going to start going to "hybrid" on Feb. 1 and we have to reorganize all the classes before then (long story) as some parents want their kids online all year. But then the governor said this can't happen until Feb. 15 (but it's all "advisory" anyway, right?), and no updates from district or union. Plus my colleagues are sniping endlessly about who stays online (if anyone) and how we do this. Most of us live with elderly family members. It sounds like there is really no plan.

Mom wants me to resign/retire if asked to go back without a vaccine. At this point, I would be happy to, but then I go to the back of the vaccine line, with no health coverage, at least temporarily, and quite possibly lose my teaching license if I break contract. Our house is not set up in a way I can distance from her. Worth it to move out and continue to risk my life for a salary for four months when a significant portion of that would be going to rent and set-up expenses? Probably not. Basically no idea where things are going right now.
2020-12-31 10:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

So, what are the Manatees' plans for NYE and NYD?  Tonight I'm going to try my hand at a venison pie, homemade crust to boot.  Planning on serving it with a special red wine (a reserve) and maybe sipping on some port later and hopefully being awake to watch the ball drop on a mostly empty Times Square.  Sayonara, 2020!

Tomorrow will be the baking of the traditional PA good luck meal of pork and sauerkraut.  I'll serve it with mashed potatoes and I think I have one bag of my fresh-cut corn left.  Sauerkraut I fermented myself and the potatoes are from my garden.  I'll be sure to get leftovers to a few single/shut-in friends to ensure they have their good luck meals, too.

Wishing all the Manatees and their loved ones a safe, happy, healthy new year!  May 2021 bring relief from the pandemic and a chance to meet/race/ride/run/socialize in person.

I saw the pie on FB, and it looks great! I had the butcher make smoked polish sausage with some of mine this year. I plan to make jambalaya with it tomorrow. This may be surprising, but it's rare to find andouille sausage around here, so I figured I would try it this way.

We opted to have dinner in the parking lot of our favorite local restaurant, kind of a goodbye to our daughter Maria before she moves to Texas. Then we watched a movie and Dick Clark's rocking New Years. Tomorrow we will just hang out and help the two oldest girls pack before they leave on Saturday. It's a little bitter sweet. We were having so much fun empty nesting until COVID ruined that in March. It was nice to have some combination of our kids back home since March. On the other hand, we are so ready to empty nest again. We love our kids and really enjoy their company... but we are also good with them moving on and creating their lives and stop cramping our style.
2021-01-01 4:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

So, what are the Manatees' plans for NYE and NYD?  Tonight I'm going to try my hand at a venison pie, homemade crust to boot.  Planning on serving it with a special red wine (a reserve) and maybe sipping on some port later and hopefully being awake to watch the ball drop on a mostly empty Times Square.  Sayonara, 2020!

Tomorrow will be the baking of the traditional PA good luck meal of pork and sauerkraut.  I'll serve it with mashed potatoes and I think I have one bag of my fresh-cut corn left.  Sauerkraut I fermented myself and the potatoes are from my garden.  I'll be sure to get leftovers to a few single/shut-in friends to ensure they have their good luck meals, too.

Wishing all the Manatees and their loved ones a safe, happy, healthy new year!  May 2021 bring relief from the pandemic and a chance to meet/race/ride/run/socialize in person.

Venison pie sounds like a great NYE meal!!!
We did nothing for NYE as we are headed south for the month of January (Florida) and had massive packing to accomplish. Ordered a pizza and stayed in, going to bed early. 2020, as one might expect, went out kicking and screaming with an ice storm in this area. We might have to delay our departure by a day, or at least push it into the afternoon, to make sure the roads are passable.

2021-01-01 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

This sounds amazing, Melanie!! Sounds like a delicious way to spend the evening and New Year's day! 

I am working this morning (though not accomplishing anything!) and planning to make Oliebollen after supper. For those that don't know, Oliebollen are Dutch donuts basically that are only made at new year's. I am Canadian but all of my ancestry is Dutch (both side of my family came from the Netherlands in the 1950's and my dad was in the womb on the way over, so 7 of the 10 kids in his family were born there) so although i've never been there nor do i speak the language i have strong food ties ... apparently. My hometown has a big Dutch population and supports a Dutch store where my mom picked up some mix for me (i would guess the dough isn't difficult to make from scratch but I like making it even easier!). I kind of like this sort of thing to share with my kids as a connection to ancestry that they'll be more distant from. 

Anyway, also bought myself some prosecco - so i'll have a glass or two and toast to 2021 pushing us closer to being out of this pandemic! 

Happy New Year's Manatees! 

Wow, you 2 will make more in 1-2 days then i make all year  I didn't do anything NYE other than listen to the fireworks all night long! Today so far, after a short trainer ride, I am sitting outside watching the news while drinking coffee. 

Happy New Year everyone!

2021-01-01 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We grilled kebabs last night with a Sicilian red and had bread pudding for dessert.  Ball drop with Anderson Cooper (and Kevin!) and bubbly.

Kevin is not into the New Year's Day black eyed peas and greens thing so we are having pizza today.  Because... Friday.

I hope that everyone has a happy new year and that we can have Manatee Meetups and Mini Meets this year.   

2021-01-01 10:06 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella Two exciting pieces of news. My wife was given the COVID Vaccine yesterday and gets the second dose in 3 weeks. I asked her to take one for me, but she wouldn't. She thinks It should be available to me in a couple of weeks, I get to be tier 2 because of my job a a prosecutor. Plus only about half of the people eligible to receive the shot here a taking it. Second, I puller the trigger on a new bike. It should be delivered in 8-10 weeks. I bought a Pinarello Bolide. It has disk breaks, electronic shifters and it's orange. It will be my first new bike since I was 13 years old.

Welcome back! 

New Bike! Pinarello!  NICE!!!

New Vaccine!

P.S. I thought that NC was bad with 25% of eligible people taking a pass.  50% is not so good, is it?  Did she get the Pfizer or Moderna one?  Any side effects worse than a flu shot in a bad year?  Just curious since goodness knows if I got the Pfizer placebo or the Pfizer vaccine.

She got the Moderna vaccine. No side effects other than some arm soreness at the shot location, similar to the flu shot. Just under half of their staff except the COVID, ER, and ICU staff have said they don't want it. She suspects that her medical system is going to make it mandatory, as a condition of their employment, like they do the flu shot. She had some medical testing a couple of weeks ago and she was talking to about 4 other people in the waiting room. All of the other 4 were people who were at risk and none of them wanted the shot. The worst was the 54 year old male who was dangerously obese, has asthma, wheelchair bound and one leg who was concerned because of birth defects. Michelle told him I don't know about you but I am way past the age of worrying about birth defects. She told him she wasn't worried about getting autism either. smh.

I'm glad to hear that she had a good experience with the shot.  Sorry about the dumb dumbs :-/

2021-01-01 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This sounds amazing, Melanie!! Sounds like a delicious way to spend the evening and New Year's day! 

I am working this morning (though not accomplishing anything!) and planning to make Oliebollen after supper. For those that don't know, Oliebollen are Dutch donuts basically that are only made at new year's. I am Canadian but all of my ancestry is Dutch (both side of my family came from the Netherlands in the 1950's and my dad was in the womb on the way over, so 7 of the 10 kids in his family were born there) so although i've never been there nor do i speak the language i have strong food ties ... apparently. My hometown has a big Dutch population and supports a Dutch store where my mom picked up some mix for me (i would guess the dough isn't difficult to make from scratch but I like making it even easier!). I kind of like this sort of thing to share with my kids as a connection to ancestry that they'll be more distant from. 

Anyway, also bought myself some prosecco - so i'll have a glass or two and toast to 2021 pushing us closer to being out of this pandemic! 

Venison, donuts, reserve red, prosecco.  Manatees know how to live right!

2021-01-01 10:13 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Jen Stewart!

I hear you on the whole goals thing. It's hard to set time goals or qualification goals or whatever when you have no idea what races may take place. 

2021-01-01 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Hi Manatees. I am here! Barely. I meant to check in earlier but I got out of bed this am with crushing pain shooting from my back down my leg. I am sure it is a nerve being messed with from my spinal stenosis. I can only lay on my back with my leg bent. Ice, heat, ibuleve. NOT the way I intended to start my new year.Ill catch up when I feel better.
2021-01-01 3:32 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Hello 2021!

NAME: Robin

Other Social Media: Strava, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. All but Twitter is set to private so send me a request if you want to see pictures of the thing that appears to be a dog but has no clue as how to be a dog.

Story: I retired from teaching middle school band and orchestra in May of 2020 after teaching 30 years in the same classroom. I failed at the first attempt of retirement and went back to that same classroom when the person who replaced had to retire due to health concerns. Oct 23, 2020 was my last day and I retired again! And that attempt was a failure as well. They still can't find a replacement so I start again on Jan 4. We are remote that week and go back to in-person on Jan 11. I'm blocking all district phone numbers at the end of this school year.

Family Status: I'm 55, married, with two cats (Caesar 17.5 and Lilo 7) and that thing that looks like a dog but has no idea how to actually dog, Kokua, who is 1.5 years old.

Current training: I'm swimming, riding to nowhere on the trainer, and trying to run.

2021 Races: Hopefully the Harvest Moon 70.3 in September and the Challenge Daytona 70.3 on Dec 5. If I can't run I will switch the Harvest Moon to the AquaBike. Daytona doesn't have the AquaBike listed for races in 2021, so if I can't run then I will do the swim and bike and then a wog.

Goals: Figure out how to get my left leg how to work again so I can run. Oh, and actually really retire at the end of this school year! No more failed attempts!

What makes me a good manatee? Ummm.. Can I get back to you with this answer? I read the threads and send mental wishes and encouragement but I don't always respond on the boards.

2021-01-01 5:11 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Robin and Robin!

Robin P, I hope that you feel better soon!

Robin K-C, fingers crossed that your left leg starts to behave itself. Your races sound fun!

2021-01-01 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My NYE was the same as the previous 10 or so, working. This year I finally finished at about 12:30, although since I worked from home, the commute was much safer than previous years. We determined that the "good luck" pork was out of the question this year, so after our sunset walk at a local park, we posted up on the empty patio of the Mexican restaurant in town and had enchiladas instead. Not so traditional, but after the past 365 days, what has been traditional? I do like the sounds of the pork dinner, and the Dutch donuts don't sound bad either  And the only venison I've ever had was in chili, which was yummy. I hope your meat pie turned out well.

Oh yeah, I took out the 29'r this morning, which hadn't been used in a while. I ventured out to the hidden orange grove, the gator hole, and I rode on the slough, which Kevin would like Janyne. It is one of the closest things we have to challenging or flow trails. Or hills, although 8 feet at a time probably doesn't really qualify. 

I hope everyone is doing well and getting the year off on the right foot.

2021-01-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
We had lasagne and wine! No power outages so far. That (no power Christmas Day from just before noon to after 9:30 PM) was the ultimate finale for 2020--we really did just kind of give up, spend the day reading under blankets with cats, and, when it became apparent there wasn't going to be power to make dinner at any reasonable hour, just ate the pie and went to bed! Last night I stayed up till New Years in New York (9 PM here) and then went to read in bed. Woke up briefly a few seconds before midnight when our neighbors set off fireworks, wished Shelby (cat, asleep next to pillow) a Happy New Year as my watch turned over to 2021, and went back to sleep! I'm a real life of the party type!

I rounded out the year with an outdoor swim and indoor run (since by that time it had started to rain). I think I messed up something with yearly totals. About one hour less of swimming than last year (which isn't surprising, as I only had pool access and was allowed to swim for 7 out of 12 months in 2020; missed the rest due to post-op restrictions (January) and pool closures (mid-March to mid-June, part of November). That in itself makes sense, but I only swam a few thousand meters longer in the same time despite being able to swim pain-free with two functioning arms this year and getting back to "normal" fitness. I think I must have really underestimated pace for the large amount of OWS I did this summer. Oh well. I have been so grateful to have the pool and open water access that I have this year. (Unlike a lot of triathletes, I really like to swim. It's like meditation in water....kind of.)

Anyway, best wishes to all that 2021 is a whole lot better than 2020!

Edited by Hot Runner 2021-01-01 8:07 PM
2021-01-02 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

My NYE was the same as the previous 10 or so, working. This year I finally finished at about 12:30, although since I worked from home, the commute was much safer than previous years. We determined that the "good luck" pork was out of the question this year, so after our sunset walk at a local park, we posted up on the empty patio of the Mexican restaurant in town and had enchiladas instead. Not so traditional, but after the past 365 days, what has been traditional? I do like the sounds of the pork dinner, and the Dutch donuts don't sound bad either  And the only venison I've ever had was in chili, which was yummy. I hope your meat pie turned out well.

Oh yeah, I took out the 29'r this morning, which hadn't been used in a while. I ventured out to the hidden orange grove, the gator hole, and I rode on the slough, which Kevin would like Janyne. It is one of the closest things we have to challenging or flow trails. Or hills, although 8 feet at a time probably doesn't really qualify. 

I hope everyone is doing well and getting the year off on the right foot.

Chris, that sounds like a really pleasant way to ring in the New Year.  We joked that our NYE was unchanged from previous years.  Dine in, watch a movie, watch the ball drop, bed.  haha!

We have had terrible weather -- all cold and fog and drizzle.  Staying indoors seemed like a good choice!

P.S. Zoe had a bit of a tantrum because we did not go to be at Zoe o'clock.

Edited by jmkizer 2021-01-02 9:17 AM
2021-01-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner We had lasagne and wine! No power outages so far. That (no power Christmas Day from just before noon to after 9:30 PM) was the ultimate finale for 2020--we really did just kind of give up, spend the day reading under blankets with cats, and, when it became apparent there wasn't going to be power to make dinner at any reasonable hour, just ate the pie and went to bed! Last night I stayed up till New Years in New York (9 PM here) and then went to read in bed. Woke up briefly a few seconds before midnight when our neighbors set off fireworks, wished Shelby (cat, asleep next to pillow) a Happy New Year as my watch turned over to 2021, and went back to sleep! I'm a real life of the party type! I rounded out the year with an outdoor swim and indoor run (since by that time it had started to rain). I think I messed up something with yearly totals. About one hour less of swimming than last year (which isn't surprising, as I only had pool access and was allowed to swim for 7 out of 12 months in 2020; missed the rest due to post-op restrictions (January) and pool closures (mid-March to mid-June, part of November). That in itself makes sense, but I only swam a few thousand meters longer in the same time despite being able to swim pain-free with two functioning arms this year and getting back to "normal" fitness. I think I must have really underestimated pace for the large amount of OWS I did this summer. Oh well. I have been so grateful to have the pool and open water access that I have this year. (Unlike a lot of triathletes, I really like to swim. It's like meditation in water....kind of.) Anyway, best wishes to all that 2021 is a whole lot better than 2020!

Karen, Happy New Year!

I hope that your job situation works out.  I mean, I'm looking forward to retirement and all that but it would be awful to feel forced out.

Regarding year end totals.  My 2020 swimming came in at a whopping 11 hours (27900 yards).  No, I did not leave off a zero!

Biking was up from 2019 at  6071 miles /  21780.81 minutes (2019: 3236 miles, 2018: 3715 miles)

Running was down from 2019 at 844.2 miles / 8079.35 minutes (2019: 1560 miles, 2018: 1138 miles)

2021-01-02 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wow--that is A LOT of biking. I was really pleased with myself for getting over 200 hours (203) on the bike. No wonder I suck at the bike! I was consistent with biking this year, but never really got to the point where I was training for anything (since everything got cancelled) and we didn't have club rides until August, so I didn't have the motivation to do long rides. I think even in IM training I didn't get to 300 hours....

Run was a bit less than yours--124 hours. Limited by PF and not being able to run for (I think) 3 weeks in January post-op. Swim--I managed 66 hours. Feel like I fought for every single minute of it, especially with the 1-hour pool slots! No matter what the workout is, I just keep swimming until the end of the hour to get my money's worth!

Anyway, sure hope there are some events this year. It's been hard to keep up motivation, and "fun" workouts often aren't doable in winter. Keeping my hopes small right now--a few local races. Anything bigger would be icing on the cake, and I'm not making qualifying/Worlds a goal until at least 2022 or (more likely, since I will have missed the first three years of 50-55) the next age group.
2021-01-02 7:57 PM

User image

NAME: Joe

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: http://www.facebook.com/Yip12343| Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/62233076

STORY: I'm an athlete of many sports! My goals have always been around the sport I play, and the body types that allow my position, and team to succeed. With COVID comign through, my competitve flare has really taken a step up. From learning how to cycle, and doing a 100mile cycle. From learning how to run again(achilles), to my first half marathon. Now for the biggest challenge: Learning to swim 5km. This all goes back to the goal to start slow, and go into competition(my first triathlon). I'm extremely determined, and love a good challenge, one that is presented very strongly for me.

~ Sports I played: Soccer, Football, Rugby, Baseball, and Basketball!

FAMILY STATUS: Single!

CURRENT TRAINING:
Cycling: I have been putting a lot of time into this, due to the nature of a previous injury. I was doing 40km x2 a week, and a 100km. Currently this looks like indoor 2x week at 20km(3min sprint, 30sec slow, etc).

Swimming: This week I start pushing the boundaries for swimming. I will be using the 0m to 1500m(http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html) program to push. My goal is 5 weeks, not 6 for this. From here I will probably need advice on how to get stronger with this, as I have terrible technique!

Running: Due to my achilles being 90% healed, I would have liked to run a lot more the last couple months. Right now this looks like two runs a week. 10km x1 and usually if feeling healthy will do a 15-25km to push my body.

Strength Training: Currently hitting PR's once a week, and am feeling the strongest I've ever felt. This is usually targeted at the 3 major lifts, and this allows me to push further via mobility training as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: If the Vancouver Triathlon is on, I will be doing this, and the BMO Marathon. I will also do another local half marathon if both of these aren't effected due to COVID.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES:
Goals: I want to be a high performer for my first triathlon. I want to feel prepared, and know that I gave my all for this training. I want to feel confident in each movement, and know that when the time comes, I have given all my effort into being the best I can do.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Honestly, I'm very new to this sport, and I've played at some of the highest levels of sport. I have extreme dedication to my goals, and want to succeed more than anything. With this, comes a great understanding of how to be coached. I have coached myself, and would love to get involved in this avenue of some sort. With that being said 100% of the feedback given would go towards and be tried, as the mentors are here for a reason, and are the people I'm hoping to look up to!!

Hope to hear back from you guys! Love this initiative as it seems to have garnered great success thus far!

~~Thanks !!
Joe
2021-01-03 8:16 PM

NAME: Lauren

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FB Lauren McCartney Manzo

STORY: I work in health care. I decided this year before I turn 40 that I want to do a sprint triathlon and maybe more! I started CrossFit a little over 3 months ago and feel that I have a lot of potential to reach my maximum fitness level. I've always been an avid hiker and enjoy biking as well. Since resuming a regular work out routine I have become motivated and feel like the sky is the limit. Exercise makes me feel really good- a fantastic mood elevator! I have always pushed myself-I thrive on setting and achieving goals....working hard to conquer what seems unachievable is a definite confidence booster for me! This year is going to be about safely and consistently pushing myself to be my best.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids, 1 cat

CURRENT TRAINING: Training started today- today consisted of a 7 mile hike (for endurance). My routine will consist of regular running and CrossFit 3 times per week. I need to find an Olympic sized pool and start swimming some laps!! Looking for a good road bike!

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon ( Sprint distance event)

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Motivation, encouragement, help with goal setting/training/connecting with other athletes

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am a team player and encourage others. I get excited to connect with people who have a common goal!

2021-01-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: Lmccrtny

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Lauren!

The Chattanooga Waterfront event should be awesome! I have not done that specific event, however, I was in town that weekend one year when my tri club had a training camp in town. It looked great!

2021-01-04 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

FYI, there are only TWO mentor forums this year.  We'll try to keep this one open as long as we can to help folks out.  I'll redo the roster on my training log page at the end of the week. For now, all new and returning members are marked with a *.

Lauren and Joe, if you are on Strava, please let us know, we have a Strava group as well (more place to encourage each other!) and the group can be a nice way to find other Manatees on the site.  Anyway, our group is invite only so we'll need to know that you are there for you to get in.  I'll clean up the Strava group as at the end of the week as well.

Edited by jmkizer 2021-01-04 9:05 AM

2021-01-04 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Welcome Joe and Lauren! So great to have that enthusiasm here! We are also an enthusiastic group but the fresh eyes on the sport is always great! 

2021-01-04 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Joe and Lauren! So great to have that enthusiasm here! We are also an enthusiastic group but the fresh eyes on the sport is always great! 

Welcome, Joe!  I didn't scroll up enough and I missed your post!

We have several PNW Manatees and a few Canadian Manatees.  If Kirsten is here, I think that she has done the Vancouver event that you are targeting.  Karen may have as well.

2021-01-04 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yes, welcome to you both! It seems you both have found my missing motivation

2021-01-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: Lmccrtny

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Lmccrtny NAME: Lauren OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FB Lauren McCartney Manzo STORY: I work in health care. I decided this year before I turn 40 that I want to do a sprint triathlon and maybe more! I started CrossFit a little over 3 months ago and feel that I have a lot of potential to reach my maximum fitness level. I've always been an avid hiker and enjoy biking as well. Since resuming a regular work out routine I have become motivated and feel like the sky is the limit. Exercise makes me feel really good- a fantastic mood elevator! I have always pushed myself-I thrive on setting and achieving goals....working hard to conquer what seems unachievable is a definite confidence booster for me! This year is going to be about safely and consistently pushing myself to be my best. FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids, 1 cat CURRENT TRAINING: Training started today- today consisted of a 7 mile hike (for endurance). My routine will consist of regular running and CrossFit 3 times per week. I need to find an Olympic sized pool and start swimming some laps!! Looking for a good road bike! THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon ( Sprint distance event) GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Motivation, encouragement, help with goal setting/training/connecting with other athletes WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I am a team player and encourage others. I get excited to connect with people who have a common goal!

Do you live in Chattanooga ? It is a favorite manatee race venue!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74