Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-04-18 1:57 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by JBacarella Since I have a race next month and have not been in the water since last summer nor swam in a pool since last February we bit the bullet and bought a pass for the YMCA. It's super close only an hour and a half drive. We were able to reserve two lanes next to each other for 45 minutes and Michelle swam next to me and is a good sport (mostly because she does not want to see me drown). I have learned some lessons on my return to swimming. 1. I wish I could swim as fast as my Garmin says I do, aka I need to calibrate my watch. 2. You don't get faster not swimming. Good news here, I didn't get slower, mostly because it's you can't get slower than me. 3. If you leave your goggles in your bag for more than a year, they might dry rot and leak. I should have just purchased new goggles. 4. Leaking goggles are a pain in the back side. 5. Please don't race me swimming, because I am not racing you. The person (not Michelle) in the lane next to me would wait for me and then try to race. I would just stop and let her go and then resume swimming. I hope in her mind she is now thinking she is as fast as my Garmin says I am. 6. Swimming laps in a pool is boring. 7. Chlorine still stinks and tastes bad. 8. I should have purchased a lighter resistance swim bands and done more reps. I didn't need stronger I needed longer. 9. Congratulations to you regular pool swimmers. You get bonus point for doing this. I cant wait until next month or June when the lake is warm enough to swim in without causing pain. 10. I will enjoy the next 4 Saturdays in Beautiful Bay City. We did go shopping in stores and had a nice dinner.

too funny!

2021-04-18 5:41 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Janyne, I have a few friends who used 3M tape on both gravel & MTBs. More people with matte paint finishes are doing is vs glossy paint. I think they just used the long strips pre-cut and applied them under the downtube and on the top tube.

I've been getting a lot of pressure to do another gravel race (Pinnacle Punisher) in 3 weeks. It's 40 miles with a big 1000 foot climb over 6 miles right out of the gate. I could likely get it done, but I really don't want to suffer THAT much at my current fitness level, so will likely put my foot down & say no.

They DID, however, coerce me into signing up for the Couch Potato MTB race which is 22 miles (and 2600+ feet) of fun. It's not until November, so plenty if time to prep.

I am doing a 50 miles on my 50th ride over Memorial Day weekend. It'll all be on single track, so it'll make for a long day, but i think I've roped 5 friends into joining me, so it'll be fun.

24.5 more student days of school and then another 2 for me and I'm D.O.N.E. with this hellish science experiment known as "Teaching in the 2020-2021 Petri Dish of Covid."

I'm so mentally exhausted I can't even think straight most days.
2021-04-18 5:44 PM
in reply to: #5275711

User image

Pinnacle Punisher is a Southeast Gravel race near Zirconia, NC

https://southeastgravel.com/pages/falling-creek

Couch Potato is put on by Blue Ridge Adventures in Pisgah Forst, NC.

https://www.blueridgeadventures.net/couch-potato/race-3/
2021-04-18 5:56 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Pinnacle Punisher is a Southeast Gravel race near Zirconia, NC https://southeastgravel.com/pages/falling-creekCouch Potato is put on by Blue Ridge Adventures in Pisgah Forst, NC. https://www.blueridgeadventures.net/couch-potato/race-3/

Sounds good.  Like you, I'm not sure about Pinnacle Mountain "road."  We scouted it and it didn't look awesome.

2021-04-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: #5275712

User image

Janyne, I had a friend ride it on Friday. She said that the gravel is pretty loose which is what makes it so challenging, but that it's similar to what we ride on our weekly "Tickle (Torture) Tuesday" rides.

We get the elevation, but in 300 foot climbs at a time, on similar terrain (loose, steep, rutted gravel).
2021-04-18 8:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Amen, fellow teacher. Prayers that you stay safe and sane for your 24.5 more days. We have 9 more weeks here. Three of them are 4-day weeks. So 42 days. I have known the count exactly for a couple of months now! If Covid, hybrid, virtual anything is still a thing next year, think I will join you in retirement. OMG. I hate my job at this point and only do it because I feel really sorry for the kids. This year they have already had one teacher walk (not really related to Covid, long story) and also a forced switch of teachers for many when we went to hybrid while some kids stayed online. It's just not right to make them go through that again!

For reasons of bilingual-ness and certification, I'm spared most of the Petri-dish experience because I'm teaching the kids whose parents want them to stay online, but teaching 4 grades at once online in two languages in a truly bizarre version of "hybrid learning" is just NUTS for all concerned. Monday/Tuesday is 4 hours on a Zoom call with the K/1's, Wednesday a one-hour call each with the K/1's and 3/4's, several hours of meetings; Thursday/Friday 4 hours with the 3/4's. Plus for the class I'm not teaching that day (and Wednesdays), I spend probably 4 hours setting up and checking their online work. (Plus another four hours setting up and checking work for the Zoom call kids.) I have third graders asking me the obvious, "Wouldn't it make more sense if we all just met two hours every day?" and can't help but agree. But this is all district-mandated. Ugh.....

As I recall, I decided to become an elementary teacher rather than something else (I originally was going to be a diplomat and even passed the Foreign Service exam; Dad was a biologist and I'd seriously considered that too) because I didn't think I was suited for 12 hour days at a desk on a computer or in a lab. Oh well.....

Edited by Hot Runner 2021-04-18 8:44 PM

2021-04-19 10:05 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella Since I have a race next month and have not been in the water since last summer nor swam in a pool since last February we bit the bullet and bought a pass for the YMCA. It's super close only an hour and a half drive. We were able to reserve two lanes next to each other for 45 minutes and Michelle swam next to me and is a good sport (mostly because she does not want to see me drown). I have learned some lessons on my return to swimming. 1. I wish I could swim as fast as my Garmin says I do, aka I need to calibrate my watch. 2. You don't get faster not swimming. Good news here, I didn't get slower, mostly because it's you can't get slower than me. 3. If you leave your goggles in your bag for more than a year, they might dry rot and leak. I should have just purchased new goggles. 4. Leaking goggles are a pain in the back side. 5. Please don't race me swimming, because I am not racing you. The person (not Michelle) in the lane next to me would wait for me and then try to race. I would just stop and let her go and then resume swimming. I hope in her mind she is now thinking she is as fast as my Garmin says I am. 6. Swimming laps in a pool is boring. 7. Chlorine still stinks and tastes bad. 8. I should have purchased a lighter resistance swim bands and done more reps. I didn't need stronger I needed longer. 9. Congratulations to you regular pool swimmers. You get bonus point for doing this. I cant wait until next month or June when the lake is warm enough to swim in without causing pain. 10. I will enjoy the next 4 Saturdays in Beautiful Bay City. We did go shopping in stores and had a nice dinner.

An hour and a half drive to get to a pool, wow!!  That's commitment!  Sorry you got stuck next to one of those insecure types that has to try to race people who are just minding their own business, and sorry to hear about the dry-rotted goggles.  A similar thing happened to me in that I pulled out my paddles to use and snap! the tubes that hold it to my finger fell apart.  I've been meaning to scour the house for more tubing but keep forgetting.  And yeah, chlorine = UGH!!  Keep up the good work until either your race or lakes warm up enough!

2021-04-19 3:49 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So i have a random question for the group - have any of you tried CBD or ashwaganda for stress relief? I've been sleeping hard but not feeling terribly rested and i've seen things about both and am not sure about trying something. I don't have trouble falling asleep but suspect i need to wind down more to get more restful sleep. So don't think i need melatonin or anything ... but open to thoughts. I've never had sleep trouble but this feels weird as my garmin shows a fair amount of deep sleep but i still feel so tired in the morning. 

Any other thoughts? Experiences? 

2021-04-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by juniperjen

So i have a random question for the group - have any of you tried CBD or ashwaganda for stress relief? I've been sleeping hard but not feeling terribly rested and i've seen things about both and am not sure about trying something. I don't have trouble falling asleep but suspect i need to wind down more to get more restful sleep. So don't think i need melatonin or anything ... but open to thoughts. I've never had sleep trouble but this feels weird as my garmin shows a fair amount of deep sleep but i still feel so tired in the morning. 

I use CBD and it helps. A lot. I can't take melatonin, it wires me up.
2021-04-19 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

B/C of my job I can't use any CBD products, so can't comment on them. I did use ashwaganda for while, but didn't notice any change. I suffer from insomnia - sometimes it's not being able to fall asleep, sometimes not being able to stay asleep, so i feel your pain not getting great sleep! What I've been doing the last couple of weeks is meditation just before bed. Some nights have been good, others the same. But I think part of the issue is I'm still learning how to meditate properly. Shutting down my wondering mind is tough!

I'm not sure how old you are, but at a certain stage in a woman's life, sleep issues often rear their ugly heads. I'm an over achiever and have had this issue pretty much my whole life

Edited by amd723 2021-04-19 5:37 PM
2021-04-19 8:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Long-time sleep issues here (since toddlerhood, and age isn't helping!) It's one reason I got into and persist with endurance sports--getting physically worn out is pretty much the only way I can fall asleep easily and stay asleep more than about 2 hours at a time.

I haven't used CBD for sleep, only as a topical anti-inflammatory. I have used melantonin on occasion, especially when traveling or really stressed. It tends to help me fall asleep but not stay asleep--I'll sleep hard and then still wake up every 2-3 hours. Once thing you might look at aside from trying herbal remedies are some other issues that can affect sleep such as iron levels (low=crap sleep), carb intake (ditto), hydration levels, etc. I find I tended to wake up less and sleep better, especially after long/hard training efforts, if I eat a light carb snack within an hour or two of bedtime, even if I'm not really hungry. I suspect I tend to undereat sometimes (combination of being busy, eating with a 82 year old, and tending to get full quickly, especially if I'm drinking a lot of liquids in hot weather) and then it comes back to get me at night--sometimes I'm waking up hungry, sometimes just waking up. But a bedtime snack seems to prevent that.

2021-04-19 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

B/C of my job I can't use any CBD products, so can't comment on them. I did use ashwaganda for while, but didn't notice any change. I suffer from insomnia - sometimes it's not being able to fall asleep, sometimes not being able to stay asleep, so i feel your pain not getting great sleep! What I've been doing the last couple of weeks is meditation just before bed. Some nights have been good, others the same. But I think part of the issue is I'm still learning how to meditate properly. Shutting down my wondering mind is tough!

I'm not sure how old you are, but at a certain stage in a woman's life, sleep issues often rear their ugly heads. I'm an over achiever and have had this issue pretty much my whole life

Even though it's legal in Michigan, I'm not comfortable with CBD because of my job too. I set policy and passed on drug testing, and opted to not require it. I just don't want the potential flack. A few years ago when I was still doing criminal defense, I went to a conference and they were really open to/about it. The guy who sold pot in law school was on the state criminal defense board, so it made sense.
I have never been good at sleeping, but if I am really struggling I will use melatonin. If really desperate, I will do the melatonin ibuprofen cocktail. D1 is like me and she also mixes in Benadryl. I can take it because it acts as a stimulant for me.
2021-04-20 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Kevin uses CBD for sleep and he has found it to be helpful. He said to find your right dosage and timing. Of course the regular "sleep hygiene" stuff still applies -- put down your devices, etc.

Confession: I have taken some of his CBD when I had a bad headache and it helped for that too.

2021-04-20 6:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Kevin uses CBD for sleep and he has found it to be helpful. He said to find your right dosage and timing. Of course the regular "sleep hygiene" stuff still applies -- put down your devices, etc.

Confession: I have taken some of his CBD when I had a bad headache and it helped for that too.

Also, my mom uses CBD for sleep as well. 

2021-04-20 6:46 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Also, my mom uses CBD for sleep as well. 

I started using CBD after I retired. I was nervous of any traces even though I had never taken a drug test, the State could require one at any time. My Rhumatologist and my OB recommended it. One for arthritis pain, the other for sleep issues. I have tried eliminating it and can feel more pain and sleep is not as easy. I fall asleep well, but wake up and toss and turn without it. Definitely find your dose.I have squirrel-brain and often can't sleep for mulling over the same problem All. Night. Long. I take passion flower extract for that. Beware..use way less than they prescribe and only use it for a few days in a row. You will have vivid dreams almost like hallucinations. If you find you dose, it helps more than anything. I can't take any of the OTC sleep aids or benadryl. They either put me out for a day or so, or jazz me up so sleep is impossible. Menopause hit me like a freight train and the CBD and passion flower helped significantly. Full disclosure, i make sure of no screen time and either meditation or reading mind candy books to unwind. Definitely days with more exercise and hydration make sleep easier. Now that I can't get enough movement during the day has made my "sleep aids" imperative.
2021-04-20 7:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by amd723

Even though it's legal in Michigan, I'm not comfortable with CBD because of my job too. I set policy and passed on drug testing, and opted to not require it. I just don't want the potential flack. A few years ago when I was still doing criminal defense, I went to a conference and they were really open to/about it. The guy who sold pot in law school was on the state criminal defense board, so it made sense. I have never been good at sleeping, but if I am really struggling I will use melatonin. If really desperate, I will do the melatonin ibuprofen cocktail. D1 is like me and she also mixes in Benadryl. I can take it because it acts as a stimulant for me.

I used to use Benadryl and when really desperate still do, but a few years ago I read that long-term use of it has been linked to dementia, so I stopped using it as my go to!

2021-04-20 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

i appreciate all the input and super interesting to hear the reasons and motivations. I am also hesitant because i don't want to be knocked out. I still want to be able to wake up for my kids if they need me. I just think the relaxation part and getting more restful sleep would help me feel better. (i've done some meditation, i exercise lots, yadda yadda, i have timers on my social media, rarely stay up past 10:30

It's super interesting to me how hesitant i am to try CBD even though it is completely legal across all of Canada now. I have no reason not to. But also have read about ashwaganda a tiny amount (stacy sims says good for menopause, but i am not there yet, i am 40) - but dosing seems like an issue on both. Like where do you start? 

And on the cbd/cannabis piece i thought this sketch from Baroness Von Sketch was a scream ... i've never been a user but as with people of my generation (and my parents) it was always around. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izapVaB7oqM

2021-04-20 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

i appreciate all the input and super interesting to hear the reasons and motivations. I am also hesitant because i don't want to be knocked out. I still want to be able to wake up for my kids if they need me. I just think the relaxation part and getting more restful sleep would help me feel better. (i've done some meditation, i exercise lots, yadda yadda, i have timers on my social media, rarely stay up past 10:30

CBD is really unlikely to knock you out. In fact, I feel way less groggy than if I had taken an antihistamine or other OTC med.  Of course, YMMV.

It's super interesting to me how hesitant i am to try CBD even though it is completely legal across all of Canada now. I have no reason not to. But also have read about ashwaganda a tiny amount (stacy sims says good for menopause, but i am not there yet, i am 40) - but dosing seems like an issue on both. Like where do you start? 

I think with CBD I'd start with 25mg but you could go as low as 10 and may need as high as 50. Joanna Zeiger may have more info.  I'll try to look around a bit.

2021-04-20 9:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I use CBD with the intention of helping my arthritis but occasionally look to it for a sleep aid or relaxant.  Perhaps it is a timing thing, now that I've ready others' inputs, but I tend to have mixed results with it helping me sleep/relax.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I've been periodically using tart cherry capsules to help with both sleep and arthritis/inflammation. 

Sleep quality (putting aside the mental circus that goes on in my head at times) often depends on activity level and hydration level.  And temperature, for me.  I cannot sleep hot and find that line gets finer and harder to hit the older I get.  I'm the person who has the bedroom windows at least partially open when we have 40, 50 and up degree nights.  They are open now and have been the past month+

Edited by melbo55 2021-04-20 9:04 AM
2021-04-20 8:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I use CBD with the intention of helping my arthritis but occasionally look to it for a sleep aid or relaxant.  Perhaps it is a timing thing, now that I've ready others' inputs, but I tend to have mixed results with it helping me sleep/relax.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I've been periodically using tart cherry capsules to help with both sleep and arthritis/inflammation. 

Sleep quality (putting aside the mental circus that goes on in my head at times) often depends on activity level and hydration level.  And temperature, for me.  I cannot sleep hot and find that line gets finer and harder to hit the older I get.  I'm the person who has the bedroom windows at least partially open when we have 40, 50 and up degree nights.  They are open now and have been the past month+

Who knew EFP was so hawt! 

2021-04-21 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Who knew EFP was so hawt! 

haha!

2021-04-21 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Seriously, back to the sleep topic, I know that Jen often does evening workouts.  Sometimes, I find it hard to "come down" from that and go from threshold intervals to sleep. For me, reading a book (not on the iPad though) or watching stoopid TV (think home shows like Unsellable Houses and Property Brothers or comedies like Schitt's Creek/Community) can help with that.  What works for other evening workout folks?

2021-04-21 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Seriously, back to the sleep topic, I know that Jen often does evening workouts.  Sometimes, I find it hard to "come down" from that and go from threshold intervals to sleep. For me, reading a book (not on the iPad though) or watching stoopid TV (think home shows like Unsellable Houses and Property Brothers or comedies like Schitt's Creek/Community) can help with that.  What works for other evening workout folks?

When i do mid-week bike workouts they are generally after work. I don't find a difference in my ability to sleep - it's bad regardless!

2021-04-21 9:54 AM

User image

I do all of my workouts after work. I find that the days I skip a workout are the days I have trouble sleeping. After my workout and then dinner, I will spend time on the computer but end my electronics time 30-60 minutes before I go to bed. I then use that time to foam roll and think about nothing.

I do have a brain that has a lot of trouble turning off at night. I have used Benadryl to help. I cannot do melatonin because I am one of the people who have incredibly vivid dreams when I use it.

Biggest thing is I have to stay off electronics for at least 30 minutes or it will take forever for me to fall asleep.
2021-04-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

I do all of my workouts after work. I find that the days I skip a workout are the days I have trouble sleeping. After my workout and then dinner, I will spend time on the computer but end my electronics time 30-60 minutes before I go to bed. I then use that time to foam roll and think about nothing. I do have a brain that has a lot of trouble turning off at night. I have used Benadryl to help. I cannot do melatonin because I am one of the people who have incredibly vivid dreams when I use it. Biggest thing is I have to stay off electronics for at least 30 minutes or it will take forever for me to fall asleep.

It sounds super dumb but my phone has a "Digital Wellness" setting that turns it to black&white mode during my preset "sleep" hours.  That has helped immensely. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74