Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-04-21 12:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by fortissimo

Seriously, back to the sleep topic, I know that Jen often does evening workouts.  Sometimes, I find it hard to "come down" from that and go from threshold intervals to sleep. For me, reading a book (not on the iPad though) or watching stoopid TV (think home shows like Unsellable Houses and Property Brothers or comedies like Schitt's Creek/Community) can help with that.  What works for other evening workout folks?

I do all of my workouts after work. I find that the days I skip a workout are the days I have trouble sleeping. After my workout and then dinner, I will spend time on the computer but end my electronics time 30-60 minutes before I go to bed. I then use that time to foam roll and think about nothing. I do have a brain that has a lot of trouble turning off at night. I have used Benadryl to help. I cannot do melatonin because I am one of the people who have incredibly vivid dreams when I use it. Biggest thing is I have to stay off electronics for at least 30 minutes or it will take forever for me to fall asleep.

It sounds super dumb but my phone has a "Digital Wellness" setting that turns it to black&white mode during my preset "sleep" hours.  That has helped immensely. 

I had no idea such a thing existed. I just turned mine on. I always have a tough time getting to sleep due to my brain constantly running. My daughter did melatonin a few years ago and she had the dream problem, so we stopped that in short order. I've never taken anything for it, but I definitely am aware of screen time affecting things. When we watch a show before sleep, it always takes longer.

2021-04-21 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Seriously, back to the sleep topic, I know that Jen often does evening workouts.  Sometimes, I find it hard to "come down" from that and go from threshold intervals to sleep. For me, reading a book (not on the iPad though) or watching stoopid TV (think home shows like Unsellable Houses and Property Brothers or comedies like Schitt's Creek/Community) can help with that.  What works for other evening workout folks?

I do all of my workouts after work. I find that the days I skip a workout are the days I have trouble sleeping. After my workout and then dinner, I will spend time on the computer but end my electronics time 30-60 minutes before I go to bed. I then use that time to foam roll and think about nothing. I do have a brain that has a lot of trouble turning off at night. I have used Benadryl to help. I cannot do melatonin because I am one of the people who have incredibly vivid dreams when I use it. Biggest thing is I have to stay off electronics for at least 30 minutes or it will take forever for me to fall asleep.

It sounds super dumb but my phone has a "Digital Wellness" setting that turns it to black&white mode during my preset "sleep" hours.  That has helped immensely. 

I do too- more for specific apps i use too much if unchecked. 

I do evening workouts pretty often because that is my main available time. My kids go to bed very consistently at 8pm and wake up pretty early. But, i have been doing it for some time and have gotten into a pretty solid habit. 

2021-04-21 8:13 PM

User image

Expert

A hot shower and I make sure I have at least an hour for mindless TV or computer time.
2021-04-21 10:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Definitely I have to stay off the electronics for at least an hour before sleeping. Over the past year, since we don't have normal library access, I read books online sometimes, so if I do that late I wear special glasses that are supposed to block the light from electronics that keeps you awake. (There's also a setting to adjust the lighting on some devices themselves.) They seem to work for me. I never keep phones or computers on in the room where I sleep. Pretty much my best bet for falling asleep is the be physically very tired (but not absolutely exhausted) and to read for at least 30 minutes before trying to sleep. I can read anything--even violent spy stories, murder mysteries....the content doesn't keep me up. I just need the physical "winding down" period.

My sleep issues tend to be more of a physical thing. I'm not lying there worrying or thinking about stuff most of the time (having learned long ago that it's all useless; nothing ever goes according to wish or plan anyway LOL). I'm just lying there awake. Unless there's been a tiring workout or physical labor during the day, my body seems to be wondering when the main event's going to start. I think my DNA is a holdover from an age when people led more strenuous lives!

As for late evening workouts, they destroy my sleep, unless it's a swim. I think I read that they tend to raise your core temp, which can make it hard to sleep. So I guess it would be good if you could follow a late bike or run with a cold shower or dip in the pool. When I lived in Asia, I almost never ran late evening due to traffic and (in rainy season) rain/thunderstorms, so never got the habit. I do swim after work but not super-late, usually 5-6 PM. For some reason, swimming has always been my best sleep aid, even as a kid. It doesn't matter if it's just easy recovery laps or a hard workout--I'll almost always sleep well if I've spend some time in the water that day. I can swim 20 or 30 minutes before bedtime and be fine. No idea why but it works for me. I just wish I could swim more than twice a week these days!

Edited by Hot Runner 2021-04-21 10:54 PM
2021-04-22 6:26 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by alaskatri

I had no idea such a thing existed. I just turned mine on. I always have a tough time getting to sleep due to my brain constantly running. My daughter did melatonin a few years ago and she had the dream problem, so we stopped that in short order. I've never taken anything for it, but I definitely am aware of screen time affecting things. When we watch a show before sleep, it always takes longer.
as I scroll through settings trying to find such a thing?
2021-04-22 6:28 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerDefinitely I have to stay off the electronics for at least an hour before sleeping. Over the past year, since we don't have normal library access, I read books online sometimes, so if I do that late I wear special glasses that are supposed to block the light from electronics that keeps you awake. (There's also a setting to adjust the lighting on some devices themselves.) They seem to work for me. I never keep phones or computers on in the room where I sleep. Pretty much my best bet for falling asleep is the be physically very tired (but not absolutely exhausted) and to read for at least 30 minutes before trying to sleep. I can read anything--even violent spy stories, murder mysteries....the content doesn't keep me up. I just need the physical "winding down" period. My sleep issues tend to be more of a physical thing. I'm not lying there worrying or thinking about stuff most of the time (having learned long ago that it's all useless; nothing ever goes according to wish or plan anyway LOL). I'm just lying there awake. Unless there's been a tiring workout or physical labor during the day, my body seems to be wondering when the main event's going to start. I think my DNA is a holdover from an age when people led more strenuous lives!As for late evening workouts, they destroy my sleep, unless it's a swim. I think I read that they tend to raise your core temp, which can make it hard to sleep. So I guess it would be good if you could follow a late bike or run with a cold shower or dip in the pool. When I lived in Asia, I almost never ran late evening due to traffic and (in rainy season) rain/thunderstorms, so never got the habit. I do swim after work but not super-late, usually 5-6 PM. For some reason, swimming has always been my best sleep aid, even as a kid. It doesn't matter if it's just easy recovery laps or a hard workout--I'll almost always sleep well if I've spend some time in the water that day. I can swim 20 or 30 minutes before bedtime and be fine. No idea why but it works for me. I just wish I could swim more than twice a week these days!
i have heard it has to do with lowering your body temperature. I can only imagine the flowing through the water relaxes you as well. I used to swim at 9 or 10 at night. I loved that. I slept like a baby afterwards.

2021-04-22 6:42 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

I do evening workouts pretty often because that is my main available time. My kids go to bed very consistently at 8pm and wake up pretty early. But, i have been doing it for some time and have gotten into a pretty solid habit. 

Gotta work with the time available to you!

2021-04-22 7:07 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Did you find it? If not and you have an i-phone check display and brightness. At least that's where I have set up a schedule for my phone to the "night shift".

2021-04-22 7:16 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Did you find it? If not and you have an i-phone check display and brightness. At least that's where I have set up a schedule for my phone to the "night shift".

a-HAH! Found it. I have a samsung but just found out there are tons of settings just at the brightness scroll bar. Who knew? (Okay, everyone but me ?? )
2021-04-22 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

a-HAH! Found it. I have a samsung but just found out there are tons of settings just at the brightness scroll bar. Who knew? (Okay, everyone but me ?? )

I have a Google Pixel and it has a "Digital Wellbeing and Parental Controls" section.  I set my sleep hours in  "Bedtime mode" and it goes b&w at that time. Apparently, it does something with your brain that you no longer think of the phone as a game it it's not fun anymore.  Plus the whole blue light thing.

2021-04-22 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by juniperjen

Gotta work with the time available to you!

It's so true. I often think i *should* do the early thing but in the end I still often have night interruptions. It's not the same as the baby stage but I cannot bank on an unbroken night of sleep just yet. And the kids already wake at 6am (we bought a hilarious colour changing alarm clock for Logan so he is not to get out of bed until it turns green and so now he starts yelling in his room 'Mama, Daddy, it's green! It's green!). And the lunch workouts which are so dependent on the day and my hunger levels and now with Felicity home again for virtual learning one of us has to be around to feed her and keep her on schedule. So, for now, i am good with knowing that after 8pm i have my own time to get my workouts in. 

2021-04-22 12:45 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I just checked my iPhone and I already had the "night shift" set, though if I recall correctly it only takes away some blue light and makes the colors yellower or "warmer". Since I work on a computer all day, I've already got a spare pair of glasses that are supposed to reduce blue light and only do the bi-focal medium and close distances. My regular glasses are tri-focal with a third longer distance section. The Windows PC also has a "Night Light" setting.

Edited by Micawber 2021-04-22 12:46 PM
2021-04-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by MicawberI just checked my iPhone and I already had the "night shift" set, though if I recall correctly it only takes away some blue light and makes the colors yellower or "warmer". Since I work on a computer all day, I've already got a spare pair of glasses that are supposed to reduce blue light and only do the bi-focal medium and close distances. My regular glasses are tri-focal with a third longer distance section. The Windows PC also has a "Night Light" setting.
Mine was the same. Just a little dull. But it does work to remind me to shut it down. I am planning my long term recovery strategy and getting back to the ACTIVE list eventually. I still would like to do a one and done 70.3. It will NOT be an ironman. Two questions. I will be coming back from ground zero. 1) how long would it take to train from 0 to 70.3? 2) any non IM races in the eastern US are fun races?.
2021-04-24 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by MicawberI just checked my iPhone and I already had the "night shift" set, though if I recall correctly it only takes away some blue light and makes the colors yellower or "warmer". Since I work on a computer all day, I've already got a spare pair of glasses that are supposed to reduce blue light and only do the bi-focal medium and close distances. My regular glasses are tri-focal with a third longer distance section. The Windows PC also has a "Night Light" setting.
Mine was the same. Just a little dull. But it does work to remind me to shut it down. I am planning my long term recovery strategy and getting back to the ACTIVE list eventually. I still would like to do a one and done 70.3. It will NOT be an ironman. Two questions. I will be coming back from ground zero. 1) how long would it take to train from 0 to 70.3? 2) any non IM races in the eastern US are fun races?.

It's hard to say how long it will take going from 0 to 70.3, but I'll say 6 months. That would give you time to get a nice base before moving into about 12 weeks of 70.3 specific training. I have only done 1 independent 70.3 - REV3 Florida. That race doesn't exist anymore, but I think they put on a good race and are really nice to the athletes. So if they have races in an area you'd travel, i'd check them out. Lake Logan is also a popular race. Janyne can tell you more b/c she's raced it multiple times. I bailed on it when the water temp was about 0* , but rode the bike course and ran some of the run course. I liked both, but they are challenging!!

Another race I've heard really good things about and if I can get myself motivated to get into the pool and start doing longer bike rides may consider doing in December is Challenge DAytona. Here's the link.

Edited by amd723 2021-04-24 1:17 PM
2021-04-25 6:27 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It's hard to say how long it will take going from 0 to 70.3, but I'll say 6 months. That would give you time to get a nice base before moving into about 12 weeks of 70.3 specific training. I have only done 1 independent 70.3 - REV3 Florida. That race doesn't exist anymore, but I think they put on a good race and are really nice to the athletes. So if they have races in an area you'd travel, i'd check them out. Lake Logan is also a popular race. Janyne can tell you more b/c she's raced it multiple times. I bailed on it when the water temp was about 0* , but rode the bike course and ran some of the run course. I liked both, but they are challenging!!

Another race I've heard really good things about and if I can get myself motivated to get into the pool and start doing longer bike rides may consider doing in December is Challenge DAytona. Here's the link.

thanks. I have had friends do Rev3 races and they liked them a lot. Lake Logan is a challenging course, but I could at least train for that terrain. I was figuring at least 6 months. There will he tons of variables after all my bionics are finished with their install. I am planning on being as good as new, that may not be the case. Or... maybe they will install better parts than original
2021-04-25 7:56 PM

User image

Expert

thanks. I have had friends do Rev3 races and they liked them a lot. Lake Logan is a challenging course, but I could at least train for that terrain. I was figuring at least 6 months. There will he tons of variables after all my bionics are finished with their install. I am planning on being as good as new, that may not be the case. Or... maybe they will install better parts than original

It's I thought REV3 went out of business. They did an iron distance at Cedar Point in Sandusky OH for a few years and then pulled the plug after a couple of years of bad weather. I think Williamsburg would be fun to go to. I was stationed in Yorktown and Williamsburg is were I spent a lot of weekends.

2021-04-26 6:21 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

REMINDER:  MONDAY the 26th

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2021-04-26 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

REMINDER:  MONDAY the 26th

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

I may actually be able to make this one!

2021-04-26 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

It's I thought REV3 went out of business. They did an iron distance at Cedar Point in Sandusky OH for a few years and then pulled the plug after a couple of years of bad weather. I think Williamsburg would be fun to go to. I was stationed in Yorktown and Williamsburg is were I spent a lot of weekends.

I think REV3 transformed into an adventure race series.  They may still have their Williamsburg HIM?

Here's what I found: https://rev3tri.com/event-directory/

NowI am wondering if Rev3 and Rev3Endurance are the same group or not?

Anyway, I was away from computers this weekend and I hate BT's attempt at mobile so I emailed Robin offline.  These are my suggestions:

I think I’d look at Kinetic. One loop wetsuit legal swim, two loop rolling bike. The downside is the many looped hilly run. Lots of aid stations though.

White Lake is flat but hot. The bike and run  course is not that interesting. Hotels are not convenient. The lake itself is beautiful though.

The a Crystal Coast Half Booty should be coming back next year.  It got good reviews. The swim could be rough. 

I think Lake Logan and AtomicMan are nice races but I suspect that you could find something with a better suited course.

Waterman in the Chesapeake Bay Area , may also be worth looking into.

So two lake swims (Kinetic and White Lake), two saltwater swims (Crystal Coast and Waterman), one rolling bike (Kinetic), three flat but possibly windy bikes...

Honestly, I'm not sure that Ann-Marie and Lisa and Kathy have totally forgiven me for making them do the Lake Logan bike route   (the oly is flat, the HIM is very much not flat).

Edited by jmkizer 2021-04-26 8:03 AM
2021-04-26 9:00 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella

I think REV3 transformed into an adventure race series.  They may still have their Williamsburg HIM?

Here's what I found: https://rev3tri.com/event-directory/

NowI am wondering if Rev3 and Rev3Endurance are the same group or not?

Anyway, I was away from computers this weekend and I hate BT's attempt at mobile so I emailed Robin offline.  These are my suggestions:

I think I’d look at Kinetic. One loop wetsuit legal swim, two loop rolling bike. The downside is the many looped hilly run. Lots of aid stations though.

White Lake is flat but hot. The bike and run  course is not that interesting. Hotels are not convenient. The lake itself is beautiful though.

The a Crystal Coast Half Booty should be coming back next year.  It got good reviews. The swim could be rough. 

I think Lake Logan and AtomicMan are nice races but I suspect that you could find something with a better suited course.

Waterman in the Chesapeake Bay Area , may also be worth looking into.

So two lake swims (Kinetic and White Lake), two saltwater swims (Crystal Coast and Waterman), one rolling bike (Kinetic), three flat but possibly windy bikes...

Honestly, I'm not sure that Ann-Marie and Lisa and Kathy have totally forgiven me for making them do the Lake Logan bike route   (the oly is flat, the HIM is very much not flat).

Nice suggestions, Janyne.  I, too, will heartily endorse ANY Rev3 event, they are truly in it for the racer and are a much more personable company.  Every single event I've done of theirs felt very welcoming and inclusive.

I've had friends do Waterman and they really enjoyed it.  Likewise, I've heard decent things about Kinetic.

Depending where you decide to race, I'd attempt to join or cheer you on!

2021-04-26 9:03 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Well, manatees, I did it!  I passed my American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification!  I'm left knackered and a bit sore and beat up but certified. 

While I'm not currently in horrible shape, I'm certainly not in my usual tri (or hockey) shape.  This might be a warning to get back on the task.

2021-04-26 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Well, manatees, I did it!  I passed my American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification!  I'm left knackered and a bit sore and beat up but certified. 

While I'm not currently in horrible shape, I'm certainly not in my usual tri (or hockey) shape.  This might be a warning to get back on the task.

Woo hoo!  Congratulations! 

2021-04-26 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations, well done!!

2021-04-26 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

[

haha, the HIM bike course is no joke! But I enjoyed it -perhaps because I didn't have to run 13.1 afterward The temp of the swim is what killed me. If I ever was to attempt it again I'd have to find someplace to swim with freezing water, which is hard to do for an August race when all water temps around me are close to 90*!

Poor Kathy, she didn't know it at the time, but she had a torn hip labrum and blood clots, so she had a difficult time with those hills. I knew something was up when I passed her on the bike - she is a much stronger cyclist than I am.

2021-04-26 9:38 AM

User image

Nice job! Congrats!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74