of 74

2021-08-12 6:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella That is a guaranteed headache, stinging face, and no feeling in your hand or feet for an hour after you get out of the water. 3/2 mm wetsuits are not rated for under 58 F if they are sealed.

58?! Yikes!

Kevin said the 65 degrees temperature was with climate change factored in!

The average temp when I swim in Lake Huron is 63F, which is tolerable. I've been in it when it's colder and it is horrible.

2021-08-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella That is a guaranteed headache, stinging face, and no feeling in your hand or feet for an hour after you get out of the water. 3/2 mm wetsuits are not rated for under 58 F if they are sealed.

58?! Yikes!

Kevin said the 65 degrees temperature was with climate change factored in!

The average temp when I swim in Lake Huron is 63F, which is tolerable. I've been in it when it's colder and it is horrible.
cold water is just not fun. Says the lady in the south.
2021-08-13 7:22 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Robin's here! Robin's here!

I hope the surgery's went well and you get out of the hospital on schedule. Full and speedy recovery thoughts are heading your way!

2021-08-13 7:23 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by JBacarellaIM Juneau not in for 22, but... I'm intrigued. I'm sure the water won't be colder than Lake Huron
Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

According to the Ironman website, the swim will take place in Auke lake. I know they use that lake for other tri's down there. IM site says the average water temp down there is about 65. Makes sense given where it is located. They are much closer to Seattle than up where I am, and while they do get some snow, they get a whole lot more rain. I'd be more worried about the rain. Interestingly, the IM website says the average water temp at IM Arizona is 61. So come up to Alaska and have a warmer swim than if you did Arizona. Haha.
someone posted on the IM FB page that current lake temp is 58F OMG NO. And I mapped the run because I was curious what they think "hilly" is - 60ft/mile. Yeah that's "hilly!" Other than that, looks beautiful!
When I did the 106 Tri here in Lake Dillon the water was 53 degrees. It was painful for a 1.2 mile swim, I can't even imagine what the pain would be like for a 2.4 mile swim. I got kicked in the calf and I was so cold I thought my calf was going to shatter like the rose in Beauty and the Beast.

No way I could even force myself to swim in those temps! 

2021-08-13 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I hope the surgery's went well and you get out of the hospital on schedule. Full and speedy recovery thoughts are heading your way!

x2

2021-08-13 7:34 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Did you guys see the news about Tim O’Donnell?  Heart attach on the bike?  How scary!

Tim O’Donnell Reveals He Suffered Heart Attack During Challenge Miami

2021-08-13 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

The surgeries went well. Yesterday's was a byach and the pain is way more than i thought. But.. it is getting better already. The plan is tomorrow to go home.
2021-08-13 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Did you guys see the news about Tim O’Donnell?  Heart attach on the bike?  How scary!

wow, very scary! A few years ago there was a lot of talk about endurance athletes and damaged hearts. I have a friend who basically had the same thing happen to her, though she was doing a swim workout v racing. She felt badly, went home and felt worse, drove herself to the ER and was told she had a heart attack. Same type of plaque build up stuff. She was ( and is) super fit etc etc. Thought was bc she was a long time endurance athlete.  I havent followed the science/research since then, so don’t know if there has been anymore research to find more of that kind of correlation. But it is something I think about . Scary.

2021-08-13 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

He is a lucky man!! I believe this was the same heart attack Ann'sl husband Steve had while on a bike race.
2021-08-13 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The surgeries went well. Yesterday's was a byach and the pain is way more than i thought. But.. it is getting better already. The plan is tomorrow to go home.

good news!

2021-08-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

The very first egg was under the roost, cracked, with a little peck mark on top.  I suspect it was a 'what the heck was that?!' moment.  I did not weigh any of the good eggs but could, we didn't eat any yet.  So far we've gotten light brown eggs but Ethel's was just a bit darker today.  Ethel and Lucy are Buff Orpingtons, Ralphie (not yet laying) is a leghorn, Simone (not yet laying) is a cinnamon queen, and Dragon (not yet laying) and Chipmunk (layed her first this morning) are both Easter Eggers.  So far Ethel's eggs are smaller than one would expect for such a 'big' chicken and Chipmunk's was pretty big (normal, really) for such a 'small' chicken.

Funny story: I really don't like eating eggs.  If they are mixed in something, sure.  I'm going to try to make either an overstuffed omelet or a breakfast bake with the eggs this weekend, or maybe both if they keep production up.

You have fancy chickens, right?

Ya...Orpingtons are big fluffy birds, but they tend to lay small eggs.  All chickens lay larger eggs with age.  Next April their eggs will likely be 40%  larger than what you are getting now.  Congrats on the eggs.  :-)

2021-08-13 10:10 AM

He is a lucky man!! I believe this was the same heart attack Ann'sl husband Steve had while on a bike race.

Can you imagine this being your race report?

"I thought to myself, is this a heart attack? I was literally in my [aero]bars asking myself that question in my head, and my response was, You wouldn’t be pushing 300-and-whatever watts if you’re having a heart attack right now." And then I finished the race. And then I found out later it was a heart attack, the "widowmaker" kind.

That is crazy. Glad he's ok.
2021-08-13 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

good news!

+1

2021-08-13 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 14-15
Anne - SBT Gravel (CO)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-08-14 11:25 AM

User image

Expert

good news!

+1

+2
2021-08-14 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 14-15
Anne - SBT Gravel (CO)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Enjoy the gravel Anne!

If you consider running in humidity fun, then I have big, fun plans for the weekend!

2021-08-14 9:49 PM

User image

good news!

+1

+2

+3!
2021-08-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
This weekend I learned about crash mode for electronic shifters. I like to be thorough, so I started by crashing my bike. Don't worry the bike is ok, and so am I. I was turning around when a truck pulling an RV came blowing around the corner. I was able to get my left foot unclipped, but not my right. I started falling to the right, and the force of the fall caused my right foot to push down on the pedal. That probably saved the bike because it went straight up while I went straight down. The bike landed on top of me. Fortunately, I have plenty of padding to absorb a slow motion fall onto asphalt. I checked the bike and it was good but the shifting was rough. The rear derailleur was not bent so I checked the internet and found out about crash mode. Super easy fix. Just press the reset button and then spin the pedals. The bike automatically goes through all of the gears and you are ready to ride.
2021-08-15 7:40 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarellaThis weekend I learned about crash mode for electronic shifters. I like to be thorough, so I started by crashing my bike. Don't worry the bike is ok, and so am I. I was turning around when a truck pulling an RV came blowing around the corner. I was able to get my left foot unclipped, but not my right. I started falling to the right, and the force of the fall caused my right foot to push down on the pedal. That probably saved the bike because it went straight up while I went straight down. The bike landed on top of me. Fortunately, I have plenty of padding to absorb a slow motion fall onto asphalt. I checked the bike and it was good but the shifting was rough. The rear derailleur was not bent so I checked the internet and found out about crash mode. Super easy fix. Just press the reset button and then spin the pedals. The bike automatically goes through all of the gears and you are ready to ride.
wow! Glad you are okay! I have never heard of "crash mode".
2021-08-15 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JBacarellaThis weekend I learned about crash mode for electronic shifters. I like to be thorough, so I started by crashing my bike. Don't worry the bike is ok, and so am I. I was turning around when a truck pulling an RV came blowing around the corner. I was able to get my left foot unclipped, but not my right. I started falling to the right, and the force of the fall caused my right foot to push down on the pedal. That probably saved the bike because it went straight up while I went straight down. The bike landed on top of me. Fortunately, I have plenty of padding to absorb a slow motion fall onto asphalt. I checked the bike and it was good but the shifting was rough. The rear derailleur was not bent so I checked the internet and found out about crash mode. Super easy fix. Just press the reset button and then spin the pedals. The bike automatically goes through all of the gears and you are ready to ride.
wow! Glad you are okay! I have never heard of "crash mode".
Me too and me either!
2021-08-16 7:45 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

This weekend I learned about crash mode for electronic shifters. I like to be thorough, so I started by crashing my bike. Don't worry the bike is ok, and so am I. I was turning around when a truck pulling an RV came blowing around the corner. I was able to get my left foot unclipped, but not my right. I started falling to the right, and the force of the fall caused my right foot to push down on the pedal. That probably saved the bike because it went straight up while I went straight down. The bike landed on top of me. Fortunately, I have plenty of padding to absorb a slow motion fall onto asphalt. I checked the bike and it was good but the shifting was rough. The rear derailleur was not bent so I checked the internet and found out about crash mode. Super easy fix. Just press the reset button and then spin the pedals. The bike automatically goes through all of the gears and you are ready to ride.

I didn't know about crash mode - thanks for figuring that out for us!

Hope you don't have too much road rash

2021-08-16 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 14-15
Anne - SBT Gravel (CO)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Enjoy the gravel Anne!

If you consider running in humidity fun, then I have big, fun plans for the weekend!

The new "swimming?"

2021-08-16 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella This weekend I learned about crash mode for electronic shifters. I like to be thorough, so I started by crashing my bike. Don't worry the bike is ok, and so am I. I was turning around when a truck pulling an RV came blowing around the corner. I was able to get my left foot unclipped, but not my right. I started falling to the right, and the force of the fall caused my right foot to push down on the pedal. That probably saved the bike because it went straight up while I went straight down. The bike landed on top of me. Fortunately, I have plenty of padding to absorb a slow motion fall onto asphalt. I checked the bike and it was good but the shifting was rough. The rear derailleur was not bent so I checked the internet and found out about crash mode. Super easy fix. Just press the reset button and then spin the pedals. The bike automatically goes through all of the gears and you are ready to ride.

Oh my goodness! How scary!

I'm glad that you were able to break the fall of the bike.  And, of course, that you are (both) ok.

2021-08-16 11:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella This weekend I learned about crash mode for electronic shifters. I like to be thorough, so I started by crashing my bike. Don't worry the bike is ok, and so am I. I was turning around when a truck pulling an RV came blowing around the corner. I was able to get my left foot unclipped, but not my right. I started falling to the right, and the force of the fall caused my right foot to push down on the pedal. That probably saved the bike because it went straight up while I went straight down. The bike landed on top of me. Fortunately, I have plenty of padding to absorb a slow motion fall onto asphalt. I checked the bike and it was good but the shifting was rough. The rear derailleur was not bent so I checked the internet and found out about crash mode. Super easy fix. Just press the reset button and then spin the pedals. The bike automatically goes through all of the gears and you are ready to ride.
Wow, very scary!  The lengths some people go through to learn new info.    I'm really glad to hear you are relatively unhurt as is the bike.

2021-08-18 6:47 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Robin,

We are seeing that the Broad River at Henderson/Rutherford county line is not in good shape.  Please check in.

(Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 7.50.05 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 7.50.05 AM.png (513KB - 2 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74