2021-08-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by melbo55

Excitement on the home front: one of the chickens finally laid an egg!  I think it may have been Ethel, I'm not sure.  But she needs to learn some proper hen skills and fast: she seems to have had it while perched on the roost so when it fell to the floor it cracked/smashed.  You know, because apparently all the fresh, soft, clean bedding I put in the nesting boxes wasn't appropriate.  (eye roll)  How disappointing but still exciting!

First eggs are always exciting.  I have found a few eggs under the roost smashed in the morning too.  Usually soft-shelled eggs.  The eggs can be a little unpredictable for the first 2 weeks while their system is making adjustments to egg production.  Did you weigh the egg?  What color is it? What type of chicken is Ethel? How are you going to prepare the egg?  

the last question is the most important one.

2021-08-06 10:08 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh

Excitement on the home front: one of the chickens finally laid an egg!  I think it may have been Ethel, I'm not sure.  But she needs to learn some proper hen skills and fast: she seems to have had it while perched on the roost so when it fell to the floor it cracked/smashed.  You know, because apparently all the fresh, soft, clean bedding I put in the nesting boxes wasn't appropriate.  (eye roll)  How disappointing but still exciting!

First eggs are always exciting.  I have found a few eggs under the roost smashed in the morning too.  Usually soft-shelled eggs.  The eggs can be a little unpredictable for the first 2 weeks while their system is making adjustments to egg production.  Did you weigh the egg?  What color is it? What type of chicken is Ethel? How are you going to prepare the egg?  

the last question is the most important one.

Yep...I like my pullet eggs over medium.  No salt or pepper.  Just the egg, slow cooked to a delicate texture.  :-)

2021-08-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 31-1
Jim - Paul Bunyan Challenge Sprint on Saturday (take 2!!! maybe.)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

I have a group ride with the Cypress Triathlon Club on Saturday Morning.  They do one club ride every month, but a lot of them are on Sundays so I haven't been able to do very many of them since I moved here in March.  This will be my second group ride since I started training for my first race 7 years ago (well...other than races). 

So...anything I need to know for about the culture, unwritten rules, etc. of group rides?

2021-08-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

The very first egg was under the roost, cracked, with a little peck mark on top.  I suspect it was a 'what the heck was that?!' moment.  I did not weigh any of the good eggs but could, we didn't eat any yet.  So far we've gotten light brown eggs but Ethel's was just a bit darker today.  Ethel and Lucy are Buff Orpingtons, Ralphie (not yet laying) is a leghorn, Simone (not yet laying) is a cinnamon queen, and Dragon (not yet laying) and Chipmunk (layed her first this morning) are both Easter Eggers.  So far Ethel's eggs are smaller than one would expect for such a 'big' chicken and Chipmunk's was pretty big (normal, really) for such a 'small' chicken.

Funny story: I really don't like eating eggs.  If they are mixed in something, sure.  I'm going to try to make either an overstuffed omelet or a breakfast bake with the eggs this weekend, or maybe both if they keep production up.

You have fancy chickens, right?

Edited by melbo55 2021-08-06 12:08 PM
2021-08-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Asking for some Manatee juju this week. I finally getting my back surgeries Tuesday and Thursday.
2021-08-09 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Asking for some Manatee juju this week. I finally getting my back surgeries Tuesday and Thursday.

Sending tons of healing thoughts your way!  Please let us know how you are doing when you have a chance -- or enlist Jim.  We'll be thinking of you!

2021-08-09 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh Asking for some Manatee juju this week. I finally getting my back surgeries Tuesday and Thursday.

All good juju sent your way! Can;t wait to hear that it went well and you will soon be on the road to running and cycling.

2021-08-09 8:05 PM

User image

Expert

Asking for some Manatee juju this week. I finally getting my back surgeries Tuesday and Thursday.

Good Luck and heal well.
2021-08-09 8:06 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
IM Juneau not in for 22, but... I'm intrigued. I'm sure the water won't be colder than Lake Huron
2021-08-09 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella IM Juneau not in for 22, but... I'm intrigued. I'm sure the water won't be colder than Lake Huron

Do it! It looks amazing. Too bad I don't do cold water well!

2021-08-09 9:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So NOT signing up for that one! CDA was more than cold enough for me.

2021-08-10 4:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarellaIM Juneau not in for 22, but... I'm intrigued. I'm sure the water won't be colder than Lake Huron
Doooo[ eeeettt!!
2021-08-10 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarellaIM Juneau not in for 22, but... I'm intrigued. I'm sure the water won't be colder than Lake Huron
Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

2021-08-10 8:41 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sending all the good juju and hugs your way I can!  You've got this!  

2021-08-10 8:41 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

2021-08-10 12:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

According to the Ironman website, the swim will take place in Auke lake. I know they use that lake for other tri's down there. IM site says the average water temp down there is about 65. Makes sense given where it is located. They are much closer to Seattle than up where I am, and while they do get some snow, they get a whole lot more rain. I'd be more worried about the rain. Interestingly, the IM website says the average water temp at IM Arizona is 61. So come up to Alaska and have a warmer swim than if you did Arizona. Haha.

2021-08-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

According to the Ironman website, the swim will take place in Auke lake. I know they use that lake for other tri's down there. IM site says the average water temp down there is about 65. Makes sense given where it is located. They are much closer to Seattle than up where I am, and while they do get some snow, they get a whole lot more rain. I'd be more worried about the rain. Interestingly, the IM website says the average water temp at IM Arizona is 61. So come up to Alaska and have a warmer swim than if you did Arizona. Haha.

haha!

2021-08-10 6:35 PM

User image

Expert

Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

haha!

Go to Alaska for a warm weather race. I seem to have developed a motto unintentionally "If it's not raining, I'm not racing."
2021-08-12 10:44 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hope they went well and you are enjoying some time off recovering (and good pain meds)!
2021-08-12 10:47 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

someone posted on the IM FB page that current lake temp is 58F OMG NO.
And I mapped the run because I was curious what they think "hilly" is - 60ft/mile. Yeah that's "hilly!"

Other than that, looks beautiful!
2021-08-12 11:04 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Doooo[ eeeettt!!

+1

+2

someone posted on the IM FB page that current lake temp is 58F OMG NO.
And I mapped the run because I was curious what they think "hilly" is - 60ft/mile. Yeah that's "hilly!"

Other than that, looks beautiful!

When I did the 106 Tri here in Lake Dillon the water was 53 degrees. It was painful for a 1.2 mile swim, I can't even imagine what the pain would be like for a 2.4 mile swim. I got kicked in the calf and I was so cold I thought my calf was going to shatter like the rose in Beauty and the Beast.

2021-08-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
That is a guaranteed headache, stinging face, and no feeling in your hand or feet for an hour after you get out of the water. 3/2 mm wetsuits are not rated for under 58 F if they are sealed.
2021-08-12 2:10 PM

Originally posted by JBacarella

That is a guaranteed headache, stinging face, and no feeling in your hand or feet for an hour after you get out of the water. 3/2 mm wetsuits are not rated for under 58 F if they are sealed.

Not an Ironman branded race, but we also have the Alaskaman race up here. The swim takes place in Resurrection Bay, which is even colder. This is one of those "extreme" full IM races. Here is a snippet about it.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/A_2019_Alaskaman_Extreme_Triath...
2021-08-12 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella That is a guaranteed headache, stinging face, and no feeling in your hand or feet for an hour after you get out of the water. 3/2 mm wetsuits are not rated for under 58 F if they are sealed.

58?! Yikes!

2021-08-12 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella That is a guaranteed headache, stinging face, and no feeling in your hand or feet for an hour after you get out of the water. 3/2 mm wetsuits are not rated for under 58 F if they are sealed.

58?! Yikes!

Kevin said the 65 degrees temperature was with climate change factored in!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74